Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

mad hail/snow shower for ten minutes place went completely dark and all surfaces white. sun is shining now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snow ghost wrote: »
    According to the BBC weather, you should be snowed in by 4 O'Clock Deep! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

How's your igloo building skills?

Not great, I admit. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

woke up this morning and what little snow had fallen through the night had already melted. The snow that fell yesterday afternoon was great even if it only stuck for about an hour during its heaviest moments but yesterday evening and last night was a major dissapointment considering the BBC built it up so much. The forecasts provided by the good people on this forum and at RTE were much more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yeah I must say Met Éireann got this one fairly on the nail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snowing in Galway - yay!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Wow! lashing down snow in galway now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Gonzo wrote: »
    last night was a major dissapointment considering the BBC built it up so much. The forecasts provided by the good people on this forum and at RTE were much more accurate.
    The bbc forecast was for the north of ireland , not for meath!
    There were places in the north that got tonnes of snow ,havent you seen the pics.
    hotwhiskey wrote: »
    4ft drifts in NI its on sky news. In Cavan about 5 to 6 inches the worst March storm i have ever seen.

Met eireann didnt mention any of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A band of showers crossing the country tonight with snow in places - Met Eireann - radio 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Wow! lashing down snow in galway now:D
    Fionagus wrote:
    Snowing in Galway-Yay!!:D

Congrats! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

sunny and mild in Clare today - the odd brief shower, had sleet, then hail (I was in the field for that one..ouch) and a touch of graupel. Breezy but not stormy, and we seemed to miss out on the epic storminess last night too (or I slept through it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Fionagus wrote: »
    Snowing in Galway - yay!!! :D
    looking a bit black ower Billy's mam's, so that might be your snow heading down here...... I may stay in and make a cake this afternoon. warm...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Good Dublin must be on a separate weather scale altogether today haha.
    Looked out window there in work blue clear skys suns out a bit cold but otherwise great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

lovely to see, stopped now though..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In all my years on boards,I think I'll never understand posts like that.I was out at 4am this morning and while there were snow flakes blowing in the wind,the only cover this morning in my area is on high ground.

well, according to some people there wasn't going to be any snow outside of the mountains and snow would not stick at lower levels. to be honest i never expected countrywide disruption at this time of year. just the fact that some places at this time of year did see blizzard- like conditions, relatively close to sea level, is something to appreciate. saying that i didn't get any snow. at least you got to see some blowing in the wind:)~

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A couple of heavy snow showers this morning here too, which caused a brief covering but all gone again. Another big black shower moving in now. 5.6c :)

Edit: Heavy snow shower moving through with gusty winds.

good man paddy1. did you get my heavy hail shower yet? i gave it strict instructions it go down to Tuam:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

300 people had to be rescued from the Glenshane Pass as their vehicles became stranded. I have absolutely no sympathy for them. Whatever about how accurate the METO Red Alerts were for last night, when someone drives up a 1000ft mountain pass with warnings out should be left there IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

light sleet shower blowing in the strong gusts at mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Su Campu wrote: »
    300 people had to be rescued from the Glenshane Pass as their vehicles became stranded. I have absolutely no sympathy for them. Whatever about how accurate the METO Red Alerts were for last night, when someone drives up a 1000ft mountain pass with warnings out should be left there IMO.

Are you aware that the glenshane pass has a main road running through it?

I have no sympathy for people that dont have the first clue what they are ranting about.

Idiot.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Are you aware that the glenshane pass has a main road running through it?

I have no sympathy for people that dont have the first clue what they are ranting about.

Idiot.

I'm well aware of that, main road or not, you don't keep driving up a mountain when it's snowing out and there are red alerts for blizzard conditions out for high ground.

And cut out the insults.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I'm well aware of that, main road or not, you don't keep driving up a mountain when it's snowing out and there are red alerts for blizzard conditions out for high ground.

And cut out the insults.

Maybe they didnt have a choice and advocating that people should just be 'left there' is ridiculous.

Stop being sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭theacher

no snow just a load of ald ones getting excited;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

snowing in longford again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I suppose the kayaker who was pulled out of the sea of Wexford yesterday should have been left there as well for being stupid enough to go out in rough seas.

Point is people do stupid things, it's doesn't mean we dont rescue them.

You'd be surprised the amount of people who dont listen to news/weather reports. It was probably their normal route home and not everyone is on-line all day or tuned into latest reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

And cut out the insults.

You being one who flys, you are probably more used to plannng your journeys a lot more carefully than the average joe soap motorist - I'd guess the majority of the people stranded up there hadn't a clue what height it was and were just thinking of it as a road which goes from A to B and passes between two mountains. And, not being acustomed to planning flights and the need to factor in the weathers effect on such, they probably didn't feel the need as much as you would to check the weather forecast before setting out.

Edit : kind of beaten to it by Jerry

I suppose the kayaker who was pulled out of the sea of Wexford yesterday should have been left there as well for being stupid enough to go out in rough seas.

Point is people do stupid things, it's doesn't mean we dont rescue them.

You'd be surprised the amount of people who dont listen to news/weather reports. It was probably their normal route home and not everyone is on-line all day or tuned into latest reports.

Obviously leaving them there isn't an option and of course I meant it more tongue in cheek, but I do think they are putting rescuers' lives at risk needlessly. I didn't hear about the kayaker, must have been scary, but of course it was 100% his/her fault. You're right, people can be pretty thick at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Snowing in Belmullet & at Knock and according to that 3 hour yoke thingy there is a nice bit of gear heading for galway/mayo in next couple of hours... may get a few flurries out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

feckin hell left the house at just before quarter to 2 and half way to work bang started to teem down snow again almost exact same time as yesterday. have few fotos will upload in a few mins (they aint great to warn ya)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Don't know about the Glenshane pass situation, as its a road from Belfast, but in general there is always a small minority of inconsiderate people who put themselves - and consequently others - in danger on mountains and water when it really, really isn't appropriate.

They should be charged for being rescued, and reprimanded for wasting valuable resources.

• Advertisement

Not wrote: »
    You being one who flys, you are probably more used to plannng your journeys a lot more carefully than the average joe soap motorist - I'd guess the majority of the people stranded up there hadn't a clue what height it was and were just thinking of it as a road which goes from A to B and passes between two mountains. And, not being acustomed to planning flights and the need to factor in the weathers effect on such, they probably didn't feel the need as much as you would to check the weather forecast before setting out.

Edit : kind of beaten to it by Jerry

Well maybe you're right, can't take chances when flying, but I can't see how people didn't hear one way or the other, or see that things were detting dodgy the further they drove. But anyway, what's done is done, none of them was harmed so they 'll take it as a lesson and move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement