Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    ain't heard my January monster since. Maybe he has bought a cottage in Westport.

There's something out there Wolfe... and it aint friendly!

A ghostly air has descended over this part of the country, like the breath of the grim reaper. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

RTE are absoultey useless ,not one word of the snow on their website, shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

So this is where I am for a couple of days...

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/5603/109182.JPG

...in Monaghan. It's been snowing for 24 hours.

The place is supposed to be haunted and the wind is howling, the lights are flickering and cutting out.....

If it wasn't for those pesky kids.....

Finally, I'm in the right place at the right time. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Wind seems to be dying down here, certainly not as strong as it was an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Wet snow here now but winds are fairly light no nothing very blizzard-esque at the moment. 2.4C/1.1C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

the good stuff trying to cum down but still very wet

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

trogdor wrote: »
    Wet snow here now but winds are fairly light no nothing very blizzard-esque at the moment. 2.4C/1.1C

Yeah, whats shes like down the harbour?

I can only see the NTL wire dancing around outside - doesnt look too bad out - few flakes every now & then - nothing to be writing home about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yikes! Those photos are so big.

Meanwhile...

I'm in Louth, 150 metres above sea level and all I get is a blizzard of wet snow that's a bit sleety?!?! There's some snow sticking to poles, walls and car windows and tufts of snow on grass, but nothing building up on the ground. It's been like this for 2 hours:mad: From what I can tell, temperature here is 1 to 1.2 degrees with dewpoint of 0 to -0.5. I would have expected snow to settle in those conditions. It's higher than the forecasts for this time, even the NAE model at 7pm this evening predicted -1 dewpoints along the coast.

What happened to the forecasts for lying snow along the east coast? If the temperature isn't cold enough for snow here, I can see no chance of lying snow whatsoever for nearly everywhere within the M50 in Dublin or in most of Louth and Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

the weather is exactly as it should be on this day that will go down in history, we are proper ****ed lads proper ****ed, this is only the start of the storm, by the way weather very rough in west etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

So far its a let down here in North Kildare/South Meath.

I wanna get some epic stormage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

0.3/-0.4°C, snowing nicely. Starting to settle to, would have had 10cm by now in January

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it's got very windy here again in the last half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Snow has stopped now after nearly 8 hours of persistant snowfall, I measured the snow depth and I have a total accumulation of nearly 4 cm. Started snowing at roughly 5.00pm and began accumulating an hour later, the best part was towards evening were I had a full on blizzard. However the snow outside is slowly beginning to thaw now but has been a great day:)

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Yeah, whats shes like down the harbour?

I can only see the NTL wire dancing around outside - doesnt look too bad out - few flakes every now & then - nothing to be writing home about

Not too bad at all really, got gusty for a while earlier but since then not much in the of wind..in fact it's nearly dead calm here now! 2.1C/0.8C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

sorry lads i really should keep to weather thats what i like about this forum it cheers me up in the middle of this tradegy, so on that note in last 20 minutes its got much worse in galway, howling winds now, im like DE on this if not snow, strong winds is something to behold:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭pauldry

Winds of 50knots here in Sligo have snapped the gate. No snow. Temps at 3.5c

btw does anyone know Jean Byrnes age. I reckon late 40s but my friend says late 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

trogdor wrote: »
    Not too bad at all really, got gusty for a while earlier but since then not much in the of wind..in fact it's nearly dead calm here now! 2.1C/0.8C

Freakily calm TBH

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Freakily calm TBH

Yeah it seems to lull down and then pick up again, bit breezier again now. Still snowing although horrible wet stuff

danni2 wrote: »
    Snow has stopped now after nearly 8 hours of persistant snowfall, I measured the snow depth and I have a total accumulation of nearly 4 cm. Started snowing at roughly 5.00pm and began accumulating an hour later, the best part was towards evening were I had a full on blizzard. However the snow outside is slowly beginning to thaw now but has been a great day:)

nice one. reading such reports it's like being transported back to january:)
    i'll probably be given out to by some for saying this, but it would be gas if we managed to get one more wintry event before next winter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

i'll probably be given out to by some for saying this, but it would be gas if we managed to get one more wintry event before next winter:D

:rolleyes:

There's always one, hehe.

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Winds of 50knots here in Sligo have snapped the gate. No snow. Temps at 3.5c

btw does anyone know Jean Byrnes age. I reckon late 40s but my friend says late 30s.

yes, i'd say she must be in her late forties based on that photo of her from 1981. she looks to have been around 19 or 20 in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

ah well looks like a wash out here but congrats to every1 dat got a good snow event 2day especially our neighbours down south,pics wud b good,looks like it b back to lurkn on forum again until next storm,hopefully its a thundery 1,wet stuff falling,wind nothing special

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Wind has picked up here again, and flights are flickering again!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got over 1" cover at the height of the storm. A slow thaw is on. Radar seems to say that the show is over. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Cabra Road, Dublin 7 here - Freezin'! Not literally but its very cold. Very windy indeed too, gusts trying hard to blow the house over. Lights flickering a lot, but no power outages. Frankly i'm praying for one because if the power dies so does my internet connection and I won't have to keep working for the rest of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

around 8 this evening rain turned to what i can only describe as falling driving ice. this stuck rapidly to windows. this built up steadily until replaced by proper snow, with very large flakes, in driving blizzard conditions untill around 11. from 1030 onwards the MMDS arial on the roof started going on the blink, at 1145 it stopped working compleatly, all due to snow on it.

large snowflakes replaced by sleet and then in turn with large snow. presently around two inches of snow appear to have fallen, more than that has stuck to the base of the window as i type. winds have died down, they were very strong earlier.

Where are you located in North Tipp, popebenny16?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Where are you located in North Tipp, popebenny16?

templemore/roscrea area.

just a few miles south is where a massive wind farm is being built near moyne as there is a unique funnel effect for the winds i guess that is why the snow has walloped the area so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

0.2/-0.5°C, snowing, is a windy winter wonderland.
    This is great!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Cheers, Lol that would be gas alright, I'd say it is possible though:D so did you have much snow today nacho?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement