Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snowing for past 2 hours but it's been mostly very fine grainy stuff, only a mere dusting on the ground and its melting and by the looks of the radar thers not much left to go. Looks like only a few lucky places had a proper sticking fall of snow today and I think RTE were much more bang on the mark than BBC with their sensationalist predictions of 40cm of snow. The wind has really been the main danger this evening and tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Finally chucking down proper proper real snow. So whatsin store for the East coast for the night ????

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

danni2 wrote: »
    Cheers, Lol that would be gas alright, I'd say it is possible though:D so did you have much snow today nacho?

unfortunately i had none. ah well i can't really complain too much because i got 12 - 13 hours of snow back in january when many other places didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Finally chucking down proper proper real snow. So whatsin store for the East coast for the night ????

Where?

Rougies wrote: »
    Where?

bra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Horrible driving cold rain or light sleet. And flickering light every so often, which I haven't figured out the cause of. Any proper snow is going to be short in nature, unless you're above 250 metres or possibly in Wicklow/Wexford.

The snow has made a desperate effort to stick where I am, but there's just an inch of slush covering most things that face the north and aren't concrete.

I am writing it off for this evening. Temperatures and dewpoints are even starting to rise. Goodnight everyone, and have a safe journey on the way in to work/college/school/shopping tomorrow! If it's not heavy wind and driving sleet or snow, there's bound to be some debris from trees and the likes on the roads. The odd telephone pole in places too, knowing eircom:rolleyes:

bra

That narrows it down a bit, guess I'll never really know.

Rougies wrote: »
    That narrows it down a bit, guess I'll never really know.

Bray, Co. Wicklow
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

unfortunately i had none. ah well i can't really complain too much because i got 12 - 13 hours of snow back in january when many other places didn't.
    Oh sorry to hear that nacho. Ah yes I remember that event, It was the other way round I had no snow at all that day! just had cold rain and sleet while quite alot here including yourself got a good dumping of snow. I was so frustrated!! Ah well I suppose mother nature is making up for what I for what I didn't get that day:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Snow has just stopped in Mid-Kildare. Few snow flakes falling. Mild Winds but very cold.

Anybody know what I can expect for tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

very lightly starting to snow in swords co. dublin. and it looks like it will come down heavy later by the looks of it. beside dublin airport @1 degree celsius

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just been out, since soon after midnight, as collie decided to go walkabout when we let the dogs out to go pee.

Vanished in the blizzard.

We came in plastered with snow; blizzarding all night but thankfully not sticking, and chilled to the bone.

Left all the lights on while preparing to go back out.

Dog is thankfully safe.

But a wild, wild night out there and heaven help any critter caught out in it. Snow sweeping across the back field in great stinging swathes.

Freezes the eyeballs.

Seems glancing at some post that caring re others is not approved here by some? Well, tough.

We care deeply.

And that spring and warmth and beauty are ??? Really....

These are nature and weather also.

If you really want these extremes, move to Iceland etc.

As for eg Mongolia? We spend our lives here and every waking moment working to raise funds for those who truly have nothing; hence another concern re the weather.

Because we cannot earn in these conditions.

And that lacerates us deeply.

It is after all small use making these points if you are doing nothing to alleviate the suffering of others.

And no we are not farmers. And we judge not farmers as you do. Anyone out in this blizzard is in danger. Period.

Many like Min work very hard for little monetary gain.

Anyone on a pension is suffering from cold in this kind of weather. Fuel poverty...

We endure, but there is no pleasure in it. And we are well prepared up here; cities are actually more dangerous than mountains in these extreme conditions.

Because we are fully aware of the reality of the conditions. That snow is more than pretty pictures.

So we work on as the banshee gale smashes snow against the windows.

Lights are flickering.

Sitting it out as we have always done.

Blessings and peace to all out there; please take care and stay safe.

Over and out....Power is failing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Pity we didn't get this even a month ago - at this stage of the spring, weather like this is just cold and unpleasant without the benefits of proper lying snow - I guess what I'm trying to say is, April snow sucks;)

zenno wrote: »
    very lightly starting to snow in swords co. dublin. and it looks like it will come down heavy later by the looks of it. beside dublin airport @1 degree celsius

Nah, it's all over at this stage.
    As usual things didn't quite go as planned. Congrats to those that got snow today, mostly unexpected too I reckon!
    I doubt anywhere in NI got even close to the UKMO predictions.
    Worst perfect storm ever. Especially for the Dublin region with the center of the storm directly above the spire for most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Report from Letterkenny: "Jesus,tis like a winters evening!"

Thats from the weather women that is my mother.

Snow all day but its not lying. Wind is terrible and the fecking lights have been flickering all day. Thank god the power hasent gone out yet.

Last time I posted in this forum was the last big snow,I remember my excitment and anticipation then,long since evaporated now by a sincere hatred of the fecking stuff............

2 weeks off and the weather turns to this!!! No justice in the world I tell ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Heres a few pics from the Dublin Mountains on tues at about 13:00

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

And a few more:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Graces7 wrote: »
    Seems glancing at some post that caring re others is not approved here by some? Well, tough.

We care deeply.

As for eg Mongolia? We spend our lives here and every waking moment working to raise funds for those who truly have nothing; hence another concern re the weather.

It is after all small use making these points if you are doing nothing to alleviate the suffering of others.

And no we are not farmers. And we judge not farmers as you do. Anyone out in this blizzard is in danger. Period.

Anyone on a pension is suffering from cold in this kind of weather. Fuel poverty...

Graces,

In fairness haven't noticed any uncaring from anyone here - more an interest in the weather... and we must remember that if people didn't have an interest in the weather - as people here do - then we'd have no weather science / knowledge and we'd all be more at risk from the elements without any prior warning of what may happen.

And to put things into perspective, we live in what is probably one of the most blessed climates on the planet without any real extremes of weather - we have plenty of water; a scarcity in most of the World; plenty of lush grass to feed livestock, excellent soil and growing conditions for a variety of crops and we are also are a relatively wealthy nation with a generous social welfare system.

I've lived in a country and known farmers when a 100 mile fire front was speeding across their land, burning down towns, killing their neighbours and threatening to engulf them - that is extreme weather, yet still they got on with it and didn't moan. In normal conditions the same farmers have virtually no water for their livestock and about as much grass in a few hundred acres as the average householder in Ireland would have in 2 metre square of land to feed their cattle.

We don't know how lucky we are... the same farmers would love this weather and be grateful for the water it brings to their scorched dust-bowl earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭crushproof

Sounds fantastic outside, tis a right howling wind around Dublin!

What up with the light flickering all the time??

crushproof wrote: »
    Sounds fantastic outside, tis a right howling wind around Dublin!

What up with the light flickering all the time??

The ESB hamster keeps getting blown off the treadmill. ;)

Has been happening all over all night, must be the wind, snow, etc playing havoc with the power lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

snow ghost wrote: »
    Graces,

In fairness haven't noticed any uncaring from anyone here - more an interest in the weather... and we must remember that if people didn't have an interest in the weather - as people here do - then we'd have no weather science / knowledge and we'd all be more at risk from the elements without any prior warning of what may happen.

And to put things into perspective, we live in what is probably one of the most blessed climates on the planet without any real extremes of weather - we have plenty of water; a scarcity in most of the World; plenty of lush grass to feed livestock, excellent soil and growing conditions for a variety of crops and we are also are a relatively wealthy nation with a generous social welfare system.

I've lived in a country and known farmers when a 100 mile fire front was speeding across their land, burning down towns, killing their neighbours and threatening to engulf them - that is extreme weather, yet still they got on with it and didn't moan. In normal conditions the same farmers have virtually no water for their livestock and about as much grass in a few hundred acres as the average householder in Ireland would have in 2 metre square of land to feed their cattle.

We don't know how lucky we are... the same farmers would love this weather and be grateful for the water it brings to their scorched dust-bowl earth.
    Might i direct you to post #55 in this thread.. it goes something like this..
    "I personally do not care about the hardships snow causes...why? I don't drive, I'm not a farmer and I'm a selfish bast*rd.

I just find that it calms the mind and is pretty. "
    A true weather fanatic eh snow ghost...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Dying out here in Malahide - although there's been a few whopper gusts. Lights flickered a few times since 12.

barney 20v wrote: »
    Might i direct you to post #55 in this thread.. it goes something like this..
    "I personally do not care about the hardships snow causes...why? I don't drive, I'm not a farmer and I'm a selfish bast*rd.

I just find that it calms the mind and is pretty. "
    A true weather fanatic eh snow ghost...

I'm aware of patneve's post and your preceding one curious about why people on this weather forum have an 'obsession' here about snow that 'puts a strain on everyday life'.

In that full context I percieve it to be an apt tongue-in-cheek retort to those who somehow incredibly think an interest in the snow somehow makes those interested complicit in any of its impacts.

I'm aware of patneve's post and your preceding one curious about why people on this weather forum have an 'obsession' here about snow that 'puts a strain on everyday life'.

In that full context I percieve it to be an apt tongue-in-cheek retort to those who somehow incredibly think an interest in the snow somehow makes those interested complicit in any of its impacts.

Its funny that because at 3.55 am you seemed oblivious to his post... or do you not like admitting that some posters on here are exactly like patneve?
    In fairness, you tell graces one thing and then contradict it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Howling wind here, I can't sleep! No real snow though.

Well done on the fantastic coverage provided by the weather forum. Pity some people insist on talking about stuff other than the weather but hey-ho it is what it is :)

barney 20v wrote: »
    Its funny that because at 3.55 am you seemed oblivious to his post... or do you not like admitting that some posters on here are exactly like patneve?
    In fairness, you tell graces one thing and then contradict it

Perhaps if you re-read my last post again you'll understand barney, I've contradicted nothing I've said. :)

Perhaps if you re-read my last post again you'll understand barney, I've contradicted nothing I've said. :)

I never stated that those on here who are fascinated with snow are complicit to its impacts, i simply asked for an explanation as to the fascination.Graces,

"In fairness haven't noticed any uncaring from anyone here" your quote to graces.....

"I'm aware of patneve's post" again your quote. A contradiction if ever i have seen one.
    i will refer to my amateur prediction about this thread....a lame duck

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just been out, since soon after midnight, as collie decided to go walkabout when we let the dogs out to go pee.

Vanished in the blizzard.

We came in plastered with snow; blizzarding all night but thankfully not sticking, and chilled to the bone.

Left all the lights on while preparing to go back out.

Dog is thankfully safe.

But a wild, wild night out there and heaven help any critter caught out in it. Snow sweeping across the back field in great stinging swathes.

Freezes the eyeballs.

We care deeply.

We endure, but there is no pleasure in it. And we are well prepared up here; cities are actually more dangerous than mountains in these extreme conditions.

Because we are fully aware of the reality of the conditions. That snow is more than pretty pictures.

So we work on as the banshee gale smashes snow against the windows.

Lights are flickering.

Sitting it out as we have always done.

Blessings and peace to all out there; please take care and stay safe.

Over and out....Power is failing now.

Hi Graces,

I do not mean to be unkind but would you ever consider moving to an abode at sea level?

Your posts over the past number of months depict (intentionally or not) a lady in distress who is stuck up the side of a mountain knitting and feeding dogs. I mean , its 2010 there is no need for this ...have you sought Government aid to move from the side of that mountain?

If you have not, then your posts are akin to someone living near the equator and complaining about the blistering heat. :D

I would suggest that you come to terms with the fact that living at 656 feet above sea level, you are going to get extreme conditions. If you don't like this, then move on. Last time I checked, we live in a free democracy.

Sweet love to all and may spring blossomth forth for mankind and may God hold us all in his palm of his hand like in times of yore

Snow, so lovely yet so deadly.

Spring in the offiing yet seemeth so far.

Young chicklings run from cover of snow.

The ice melteth and then some more.

Winter fading but not forgotten.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

About 6 inches of snow over night :)
    Is a proper winter wonderland outside..

webcam.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

OH WOW !! woke up this morning with great excitement flung open the curtains and EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH

....road colour, grass colour, roof colour, car colour...

No SNOWmageddon in Dublin this morning :rolleyes:

If anything did fall it was indeed of the teflon variety. Now, where's me frying pan....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement