Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nothing but dirty sleet and rain here in donegal , nothing!
    I think we missed the boat.
    Very stormy though, quite dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Pangea,

Can you imagine the blizzards we'd be having if we were getting snow with these winds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Crappy drizzly rain with gusty winds in D15 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

zmob3k.jpg

1zcq1df.jpg

Pic's of depth of snow on tops of my bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

mar30a.JPG

South Laois about 8pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Still spitting rain here but at least wind is picking up, if just a little, gusting to 40mph at the moment. 3.3c and steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

If you watch the run on the radar it seems to be widening towards the east now

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Is the snow now moving towards the east coast?

Derek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snow ghost wrote: »
    With that UK Red alert for N.I. from the UK met office, I hope everyone there is 'Taking Action' and are prepared for extraordinary measures!!! :eek::eek::eek:

"Take action’ means: Remain extra vigilant and ensure you access the latest weather forecast. Follow orders and any advice given by authorities under all circumstances and be prepared for extraordinary measures."

Wonder what they mean by 'extraordinary measures' - large whiskeys perhaps???

Getting windier here... thought the window was coming in with one gust a few minutes ago.

prepare for what its just ****ty sleet.. at 0.5c at that... and i thought there were colder dps they arnt even in glasgow.:mad::mad: some emergency this is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Drizzle and fog here now. Calm. 2.9c Lights flickering?

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    prepare for what its just ****ty sleet.. at 0.5c at that... and i thought there were colder dps they arnt even in glasgow.:mad::mad: some emergency this is.

You will have all the refugees from the real emergency camping on the hills behind you ruining your snow !! :p:D

owenc wrote: »

I'd not go by Dp's in Glasgow for Coleraine Owen, is there no station nearer you can look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

t|nt|n wrote: »
    If you watch the run on the radar it seems to be widening towards the east now

Anyone know where WC and Darkman2 are? Would not mind an update now to see if the snow will come to Dublin and the east coast. Looking at the radar at the moment, it looks like the east coast will remain dry! :mad:

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

DOCARCH wrote: »

Exact same here - Lights are having a hissy fit the last hour

derekon wrote: »
    Anyone know where WC and Darkman2 are? Would not mind an update now to see if the snow will come to Dublin and the east coast. Looking at the radar at the moment, it looks like the east coast will remain dry! :mad:

Derek

The system is going to move to the East so it will move over us in a couple of hours

patience !!!

Dp's current on 0c at Aldergrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

non stop rain all day here (Even though radar shows nothing). its been lashing since i was in the pub at lunchtime. 2.8c at the moment. Theres been a lot of rain as the garden has water laying. The mountains to the West of me are covered in snow down to about half way. So i would say snow level is around 300m

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The system is going to move to the East so it will move over us in a couple of hours

patience !!!

I want it now now now now!! :mad:

It's moving East, ever so slowly, and there's more snow clouds coming from the North-East towards us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Since the upper low complex is moving east faster than the surface low to become a stacked vertical closed low over Yorkshire by about 00-03z, we could expect the main axis of the heavy precip (which is mostly snow) to move east at about 20 knots, so I estimate it should reach the east coast around midnight. If you're between the east coast and the axis of snowfall now, you could estimate when it might arrive over your location on that basis. Once it arrives over the eastern counties it should remain in place and gradually break up during the day on Wednesday. This should lead to 5-10 cm snowfalls spreading further east in both Ulster and Leinster.

Chances for snow further west depend more on showery convective snowfall developing overnight or on Wednesday. The coldest air should be over west central Ireland by late tonight so there again chances of snow are increasing but it will probably turn out very hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

snow starting to fall here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Looks like the west coast is escaping as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

DOCARCH wrote: »
    drizzle here aswell,lights flickering aswell

snaps wrote: »
    non stop rain all day here (Even though radar shows nothing). its been lashing since i was in the pub at lunchtime. 2.8c at the moment. Theres been a lot of rain as the garden has water laying. The mountains to the West of me are covered in snow down to about half way. So i would say snow level is around 300m

If the visibility clears tomorrow I might be able to get to see the snow on the mountains as too far away see them under these conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I'd not go by Dp's in Glasgow for Coleraine Owen, is there no station nearer you can look at?

Latest METARs form Aldergrove, Belfast City and Derry airports, with Temp/DP in bold

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]Aldergrove (268ft) EGAA 301920Z 36018KT 2000 SN OVC006 01/00 Q0985 (Moderate snow)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]Belfast City (16ft) EGAC 301920Z 01028G41KT 2500 +RA SCT006 OVC008 03/02 Q0984 (Heavy rain)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]Derry (10ft) EGAE 301850Z 02030G40KT 7000 RA BKN007 03/02 Q0989 (Moderate rain)[/FONT]

Donegal Airport 04/01

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ye must be some major tech fault cos my lights have been flickering for last hour.

Meanwhile its reall just patience the feature will slowly creep east, with cold air wrapping in from the northwest, winds steadily increasing.

Currently a slightly less cold pool in the eye currently pushed affecting parts of northeast Leinster.

Interesting night ahead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Su Campu wrote: »
    Latest METARs form Aldergrove, Belfast City and Derry airports, with Temp/DP in bold

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]Aldergrove (268ft) EGAA 301920Z 36018KT 2000 SN OVC006 01/00 Q0985[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]Belfast City (16ft) EGAC 301920Z 01028G41KT 2500 +RA SCT006 OVC008 03/02 Q0984[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]Derry (10ft) EGAE 301850Z 02030G40KT 7000 RA BKN007 03/02 Q0989[/FONT]

will dps drop?? they were ment to be negative by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Lights flickering here as well with the flickers getting more frequent...temp is up, now at 4.3C/2.8C we won't have snow at these temps but hopefully it might fall back a bit later on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

snow ghost wrote: »
    Pangea,

Can you imagine the blizzards we'd be having if we were getting snow with these winds!
    Shockin! :(

Lights flickering here too, better not shut off with united game on!

trogdor wrote: »
    Lights flickering here as well with the flickers getting more frequent...temp is up, now at 4.3C/2.8C we won't have snow at these temps but hopefully it might fall back a bit later on

Its the extra load cause all the bankers are still in their offices fretting about NAMA :D

• Advertisement

Its the extra load cause all the bankers are still in their offices fretting about NAMA :D

Don't get me started! :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement