Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Just to clarify a couple of things, if you're referring to me, I'm not the owner of the Front Lounge (nor did I ever claim to be), I was just involved in the opening of it and am good friends with the owner. I did a similar job in there that I used to do for The Tweedy Group when it was opened. It's just the type of marketing that I believe in - communication with your customers, whether it's about negative or positive comments. It doesn't help that the guy they have marketing it is based in Carlow but that shouldn't matter too much, he should still be able to market it efficiently, which, in my opinion, he isn't.

With regards to the closure of Ruby Lounge - I think that makes perfect sense. The Lounge was always way too small, and they intend on turning muldoons into Ruby Lounge Mach 4. They surely won't make a balls of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

With regards to the closure of Ruby Lounge - I think that makes perfect sense. The Lounge was always way too small, and they intend on turning muldoons into Ruby Lounge Mach 4. They surely won't make a balls of that?
    istockphoto_8338050_fingers_crossed_and_wishing_hard.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Ruby lounge was a strange place for me in that I really liked it but even half fill it to capacity and it became a nightmare. That area infront of the bar basically became a free for all with various groups of people just making a wall that was near impossible to get a drink or into the woodman. If it was to be kept like that I'm glad it's closed.

I also understand the need for a big impressive enterance(and it is very impressive tbf) as the old rubys enterance was awful and I couldn't see many from outside Waterford going near what was basically a fire exit.

Touching on what nkay said. I have noticed on a number of other threads and in particularly this one that it's been said all we do here is bitch and complain about places. To an extent I agree with regards the music festival thread that the criticisms were a bit OTT but in general any complaining I read here is 99 times out of 100 based on genuine opinion. If the foundry were to turn around and match Harveys drink for drink and get rid of enterance prices it's fair to say that the majority that were having a go at would say fair play to them. This Forum would become awful in a few days if all of a sudden if you took out peoples negative opinions on places. Last thing we want from here is it to turn into a list of threads people looking for services. I've been a regular poster here for I'd say touching 4 years and I like that the majority of us can happily constructively criticise businesses, politics, sport or whatever. I'd rather a bit of moaning anyday to the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just to clarify a couple of things, if you're referring to me, I'm not the owner of the Front Lounge (nor did I ever claim to be), I was just involved in the opening of it and am good friends with the owner. I did a similar job in there that I used to do for The Tweedy Group when it was opened. It's just the type of marketing that I believe in - communication with your customers, whether it's about negative or positive comments. It doesn't help that the guy they have marketing it is based in Carlow but that shouldn't matter too much, he should still be able to market it efficiently, which, in my opinion, he isn't.

Oh right I thought you and a friend opened it together. My point still stands though as it was mainly about the marketing which you've touched on yourself.

Yeah I can certainly see the thinking behind it but Ruby Lounge had people for whom it was an integral part of their night out. Those people have now found other places to go. You would assume that if the old Muldoons becomes the new Ruby Lounge, the crowd will go back but it's not guaranteed. Hopefully they do a good job of it but it's no guarantee at the moment, is it?

As an aside to this, do you know who's playing in The Front Lounge tonight by any chance as I'm heading out with some friends from work? What time etc if you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Rag Doll are there tonight. bout 10:30 - 11 or so kick off. Lead singer is called Seamus Kehoe and he has a cracking voice on him.

• Advertisement

Rag Doll are there tonight. bout 10:30 - 11 or so kick off. Lead singer is called Seamus Kehoe and he has a cracking voice on him.

Cool. Thanks. Will hopefully be in to check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I would be very interested to see how muldoons goes, imo they could keep the name! :)

I agree that people, including myself, have been quite critical of the foundry on here but it had grounding in nearly every instance, if everyone said good about everything there would be no need for boards. Now what kind of a world would it be without our fellow boardsies!? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I was thinking, I would like a club with relaxing music and comfy seats. Sort of like what you see in films.

One thing that hasn't been tried in Waterford to the best of my knowledge is table service. I think people would be more likely to pay to get in somewhere if they had table service.

The Foundry could give it a go for a few weeks. It shouldn't be a lot of hassle to try out table service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

dayshah wrote: »
    I was thinking, I would like a club with relaxing music and comfy seats. Sort of like what you see in films.

One thing that hasn't been tried in Waterford to the best of my knowledge is table service. I think people would be more likely to pay to get in somewhere if they had table service.

The Foundry could give it a go for a few weeks. It shouldn't be a lot of hassle to try out table service.

Oxygen had table service when it first opened. Like everything else in that club, (besides me of course!) it was a disaster. I think the problem with clubs in Waterford (& Ireland) is that there isn't really that much seating and tables to justify it. I think it would work well in a loungey kind of place - would suit the Forum Lounge actually. The problem is club owners see it as a another staff member they have to pay who isn't directly earning them money.

I do like the sound of your club though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Adyx wrote: »
    Oxygen had table service when it first opened. Like everything else in that club, (besides me of course!) it was a disaster.

Excuse me lol

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    Oxygen had table service when it first opened. Like everything else in that club, (besides me of course!) it was a disaster. I think the problem with clubs in Waterford (& Ireland) is that there isn't really that much seating and tables to justify it. I think it would work well in a loungey kind of place - would suit the Forum Lounge actually. The problem is club owners see it as a another staff member they have to pay who isn't directly earning them money.

I do like the sound of your club though!

This is my idea for the Foundry (if they are reading).
    I suppose when the place is packed it hard to manage the table area, things being dropped etc. So you would have one 'VIP' area with the tables.

When you enter the club it would be free. But if you want a table you have to pay a cover charge. So when you go to the table area its a bit like a restaurant. So this table charge can cover the cost of the waitress. Only people at a table would get table service (obviously enough).

I think this is how they do it in some clubs in London. You have the table for the night, so you go down for a dance, chat up a girl, and then say 'do you want to come over to my table for a drink', and she's all over you like a cheap suit.

I don't know if it would work, or if its feasible with the Foundry's lay-out (I'm waiting for free entry before I give it a go :)). And you would need to keep some tables/ledges without seating for people to leave their drinks. But The Foundry really need to experiment with something, and I think they could give this a 1 month trial without investing much money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

was in masons last night, place was packed to the rafters. does anyone know what the foundry was like? i know it was ten quid in so hmm..

on another note i am sick to death of scumbags in this town. i have a few friends who were attacked by (not meaning any racial slurs but its the truth) a group of travellers down the alley by the kazbar. ripped off his t shirt and started throwing digs, threatening to slit his throat and everything. for what? absolutely nothing. the lads eventually got away, the bouncers in the kazbar saw what happened and called the guards. 10 minutes later there was a group of about 20 of them outside masons with bowl haircuts, tracksuit pants and rings. they were eventualy cleared off but my god. cant even go out for a few drinks without them ruining your night. i only missed it because i was at the atm on parnell street.

does anyone else run into these kind of problems or are we just unlucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Seen it once or twice, heard plenty of stories from one of the bouncers I know. There was the guy with the sword at one point even. I intervened before when I saw a fairly rough lookin guy beating the crap out of his girlfriend (I assume), only for her to turn and start batin the head off me while he tried to stop her. Just goes to show you can never tell. Now I just tell the guards where to find em.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Seen it once or twice, heard plenty of stories from one of the bouncers I know. There was the guy with the sword at one point even. I intervened before when I saw a fairly rough lookin guy beating the crap out of his girlfriend (I assume), only for her to turn and start batin the head off me while he tried to stop her. Just goes to show you can never tell. Now I just tell the guards where to find em.

Jesus I saw the exact same thing happen a few years ago. 'twas hardly you :)

In reality I actually think unless it was a friend I just wouldn't get involved in **** like that. Like Mitch said, call the cops. You literally don't know what anyone is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone see the article on what a Waterford person spends on booze in a year? they said about €1800.
    Cant find a link to it, Think it was on The Munster Express

it was in the munster ya, I must read that cause it seems very high as an average.

The foundry is now giving free in before 12. :)

They've seen the light, and its disco.

You wouldnt think we spend that much a year on drink, i guess when you add it up it does.

Passed by Harveys today and saw a sign stuck to the door. I couldn't read it, but all I saw was "dear customers".

Anybody know what it's about?

Ledger wrote: »
    Passed by Harveys today and saw a sign stuck to the door. I couldn't read it, but all I saw was "dear customers".

I just had a look on their FB page, nothing on that, but i saw that karoke was supposed to start tonight maybe something to do with that?

• Advertisement

STIG83 wrote: »
    I just had a look on their FB page, nothing on that, but i saw that karoke was supposed to start tonight maybe something to do with that?

maybe, just thought it was strange.

maybe, just thought it was strange.

Maybe they are giving free drinks for the Bank Holiday Weekend?

Dont think that will happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Yea their is a singing comp or Karaoke on, one of the lads is singing tonight said their is a €5000 prize !

This Guy

dayshah wrote: »
    The foundry is now giving free in before 12. :)

They've seen the light, and its disco.

Now, if they'd just started out like that, it'd all have been grand! Better late than never though.

Didn't take long for them to change but fair play to them for adapting to the market. I wonder what kind of money they were taking in with everything full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

STIG83 wrote: »
    Anyone see the article on what a Waterford person spends on booze in a year? they said about €1800.
    Cant find a link to it, Think it was on The Munster Express

That works out at <€35 a week. That doesn't seem high to me when its possible to spend >€100 in one night on the town on drink alone and not including taxis etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

i think its because the karaoke isnt starting for another 2weeks but was meant to be on tonight so probably just a note telling people they wont be open now.

tonc76 wrote: »
    That works out at <€35 a week. That doesn't seem high to me when its possible to spend >€100 in one night on the town on drink alone and not including taxis etc?

Im sure if someone was drinking in Harveys it be higher.

tonc76 wrote: »

Oh of course i'd think nothing about dropping €100 in town on a night out (it doesn't include taxi's) but average per person in Waterford? not a chance. allot of people rarely drink or don't go out that often.

I will really have to read what it says because if it's average spend of people who go out on a saturday then i'd well believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Havent down out in waterford in ages so thinking of planning a night out soon

What the new Masons like

Advertisement