Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

AdMMM wrote: »
    The shill is strong in this one.
    I laughed at this, and then started to worry about myself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

gscully wrote: »
    A group of us ended up in The Foundry last night. We only went just to see what it was like and because we had free passes. We didn't even put our coats in the cloakroom, so they made no money from us there either. Including us, I'd say about 60 people were there. They can't keep going at that rate.

Some good music played though - plenty of old skool :)

About what time did you go in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

dayshah wrote: »
    About what time did you go in?

I reckon between 11:30 and midnight, but even that much is sketchy ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gscully wrote: »
    I reckon between 11:30 and midnight, but even that much is sketchy ;)

It only opens around then, and most nightclubs seem to get busy towards the end of the night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Word on the street is that The Foundry is closed Monday to Wednesday now, looks like their sign will have to be changed again!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

If true they really should have started that way but it makes allot of sense to be fair to not bother opening in the summer when the students are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

STIG83 wrote: »
    Word on the street is that The Foundry is closed Monday to Wednesday now, looks like their sign will have to be changed again!!

Yep - open thursday to sunday this week!
    Look s like that sign was an awful waste of money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I firmly believe that they got transition year students to market that place.

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Yep - open thursday to sunday this week!
    Look s like that sign was an awful waste of money :)

The smiley face above says it all!!
    "I told you so!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

was wondering why there fancy little foundry sign hasnt been on most nights when i pass by there on me nightly spin around town,,reality has taken hold i say for the owners

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

The smiley face above says it all!!
    "I told you so!!"

Too right :D
    I think they just went the wrong way about everything - kinda gave the impression that there was absolutely no nightlife what so ever before they arrived on the scene and so they could just charge whatever they like when they came and expect it to work :)

The reason for there charge? Oh sure people are going to pay to go to a professionally run nightclub........bet they wished they could change there stance on it now :)

Elbows22 wrote: »
    The reason for there charge? Oh sure people are going to pay to go to a professionally run nightclub........bet they wished they could change there stance on it now :)

They can change it now if they want.

They can scrap the cover charge (at least mid-week) and charge cool people like me €7 to go in as all the ladies will follow me in to see my sexy dance moves.

I hope it will be successful, after they cut their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Sully wrote: »
    It only opens around then, and most nightclubs seem to get busy towards the end of the night. :)

Well this one didn't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Yawn, yawn... "Told ya d'Foundry would'nt succeed"etc. etc. ...how can a nightclub generate so much negative sentiment?? ... "drove past it last nite, lights werent on boy, musta been closed" ..."told ya so, told ya so"...ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
    :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

One thing that is sad out of this is the staff. They started there (I assume) with full time hours now it stands to reason that they have dropped by 10/15 hours a week at the very least to part time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Pretty much the same in alot of pubs down the middle of the town regarding the hours being cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Maybe its just me, but i have heard mainly positive things about the foundry from people, in fact the only place i have really heard be slated is here on boards?

I haven't been there yet so i cant say much about it myself. I do hope it does well though. I don't see why there is such uproar about a door charge though, in every other city in Ireland you'd never see a nightclub without a door charge. Having said that, a door charge should be justified by having reduced prices on drink. Even maybe a free drink token would make it worthwhile.

Have a friend working in the cloakroom there, and she seems to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

I have read some bad reports from Facebook aswell... so its not just on here.

Not that i am backing up the claims here, i like to judge a place myself first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

kkdela6 wrote: »
    Maybe its just me, but i have heard mainly positive things about the foundry from people, in fact the only place i have really heard be slated is here on boards?

I haven't been there yet so i cant say much about it myself. I do hope it does well though. I don't see why there is such uproar about a door charge though, in every other city in Ireland you'd never see a nightclub without a door charge. Having said that, a door charge should be justified by having reduced prices on drink. Even maybe a free drink token would make it worthwhile.

Have a friend working in the cloakroom there, and she seems to love it.

Judging by their facebook, there has being a lot of negative comments, but what did they do? Delete them and didn’t take the feed back on board, which is very childish and armature for a company to do, even if they had the courtesy and said thank you for the feed back we will take in on board.

Its easy to impress the 17 and 18 year old kids going in there, they are young and gullible and its some where new, as soon as something better comes along the place will be quiet, for example Masons drinks offer during the week, the Foundry was very quiet and what did the foundry do close their doors. Its about getting customers in to your premises give them a reason to come to your premises not screw them and piss them off. What happens if masons do half price drinks on a Thursday or Friday, will the foundry just close their doors again?

There is lot of good feedback here on boards about the running of pubs and clubs, maybe the owners of the foundry should have read this thread before opening in Waterford they might not be in the mess they are in now.
    This thing about every other town having a door charge makes me laugh, A lot of the door charges in small towns and city’s around the country are ridiculous €10 is not justified. I was in the UK the weekend and the max door charge was €5 and this was in a small town with a few drink promos. This is a fair deal.

Waterford dose not have to be the same as every other city in the country regarding door charges, if people are silly enough to pay a big charge the price will not be dropped simple as that.

Judging by their facebook, there has being a lot of negative comments, but what did they do? Delete them and didn’t take the feed back on board, which is very childish and armature for a company to do, even if they had the courtesy and said thank you for the feed back we will take in on board.

if thats the case then there is really no excuse. I dont really use facebook but from what i can see from this thread they seem to have the attitude of 'we know whats right and we'll do it our way' rather than listening to what the people want and trying to capitalize on it.

Waterford dose not have to be the same as every other city in the country regarding door charges, if people are silly enough to pay a big charge the price will not be dropped simple as that.

Im living in dublin at the moment and there is not a single club i have been to that didnt have a door charge (not including late bars etc.), but these clubs had some sort of incentive, i.e it would be 5/6/7 quid to get in but all pints 3 euro or it would be an 80s themed night or uv light party or something like that. If the foundry are charging seven quid in, then 4.50 a pint with essentially the latest edition of 'now thats what i call music' playing then this is where the problem lies.

like you said, the 17/18 year olds are easily impressed (true enough, sure didnt we all love rubies when we were 16 :P ), so maybe this is their target market.

Look at the forum. they charge money in and full price pints but no one really minds because they give you your moneys worth in good music and bands etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

kkdela6 wrote: »
    if thats the case then there is really no excuse. I dont really use facebook but from what i can see from this thread they seem to have the attitude of 'we know whats right and we'll do it our way' rather than listening to what the people want and trying to capitalize on it.

Im living in dublin at the moment and there is not a single club i have been to that didnt have a door charge (not including late bars etc.), but these clubs had some sort of incentive, i.e it would be 5/6/7 quid to get in but all pints 3 euro or it would be an 80s themed night or uv light party or something like that. If the foundry are charging seven quid in, then 4.50 a pint with essentially the latest edition of 'now thats what i call music' playing then this is where the problem lies.

like you said, the 17/18 year olds are easily impressed (true enough, sure didnt we all love rubies when we were 16 :P ), so maybe this is their target market.

Look at the forum. they charge money in and full price pints but no one really minds because they give you your moneys worth in good music and bands etc.

To be fair it's not 17/18 year olds who are keeping The Foundry in business. If you look through their photos from any given night its ~25-30 year olds who form the majority of the crowd who go there. Young people aren't as stupid as everyone thinks..

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Young people aren't as stupid as everyone thinks..

your dead right. If it wasn't for the younger crowd there wouldn't be a nightlife at all. The younger crowd dont bitch and moan about what the clubs are doing wrong, they just go out and have a damn good time! :pac:

To be fair it's not 17/18 year olds who are keeping The Foundry in business. If you look through their photos from any given night its ~25-30 year olds who form the majority of the crowd who go there. Young people aren't as stupid as everyone thinks..

I would disagree,

from what I have seen of people going in the majority is infact the 17-19 year old demographic. Of course there are exceptions and i'm sure your right and there are a good few people up around the 30 mark but I would be simply be amazed if the majority in there are in there mid 20's.

That's true about the photos. But when do they take the photos? The place always looks empty in the background.

I think they take the photos early on, before the place fills up. Maybe its us old fogeys who go in earlier, we have to be in bed by 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

ziedth wrote: »
    I would disagree,

from what I have seen of people going in the majority is infact the 17-19 year old demographic. Of course there are exceptions and i'm sure your right and there are a good few people up around the 30 mark but I would be simply be amazed if the majority in there are in there mid 20's.

The one night I was in there it was a majority of people over 20. Either that or the 17/18 year olds look exceptionally old, which I seriously doubt. It appears the over 20s feel as if The Foundry will provide a place where the teenagers won't be. Even from the comments on The Foundry's photos, it becomes obvious that the people who do go there rarely see young people in there, ie: "Oh they let anyone in nowadays.. They look about 18", etc.
    dayshah wrote: »
    That's true about the photos. But when do they take the photos? The place always looks empty in the background.

I think they take the photos early on, before the place fills up. Maybe its us old fogeys who go in earlier, we have to be in bed by 2 :)

They take them throughout the night! I'm 18, and I only went in once, and I probably never would again. The drink is a rip off, as is the door charge. I don't think anyone from school has gone in anytime bar once either. There's just no comparison between there and Mason's really.

ziedth wrote: »
    One thing that is sad out of this is the staff. They started there (I assume) with full time hours now it stands to reason that they have dropped by 10/15 hours a week at the very least to part time.

Yeah the staff are suffering now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DunmoreRode

Yeah the staff are suffering now.

Yeah true the staff have less ours and hence less money so they are suffering, sad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The Foundry looked closed this week, including last night around half 11. What's the craic there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think it's only open Thursday - Sunday now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

This thread should be renamed ''THE FOUNDRY THREAD''

Advertisement