Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Mooley22 wrote: »
    i think its because the karaoke isnt starting for another 2weeks but was meant to be on tonight so probably just a note telling people they wont be open now.

I stumbled past it on my way home about an hour ago and that's more or less what it is. For some reason they seem to think this is month is June though, despite saying the karaoke is starting in May. :confused:

As for spending €1800 a year on drink... :eek: I spent €30 tonight and that's me done for another month or two.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

bigpink wrote: »
    Havent down out in waterford in ages so thinking of planning a night out soon

What the new Masons like

Merged with megathread :)

Personally, I like the live music downstairs and you would definately nprice the price difference in your wallet by the end of the night. However, upstairs is a crèche and there is a bit of a scummy element in the place. I haven't been in there since March so maybe with the foundry open it has changed for the better or worse but it's worth a look for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

Foundry reducing prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

DjBryn wrote: »
    Foundry reducing prices?

Free in this weekend up until 12, €5 after with concessions, €10 without..

Probably just a test run to see if they'll actually get more people in or not.. I'd imagine if their sales increase past the point of where it was with the entry fee that they'll just drop the entry fee fully as a way of increasing their revenue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

To sum it up, we were right, they were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

100 people paying €10 in is better than an extra €1000 in the tills from drinks, you got to pay for the drinks from that money then pay the vat on the drinks sold, usually cover charge is never declared so its tax free. Remember 1 club I was in, every saturday night 1000 people in the door @ €10 even if they never bought a drink it would be more profit in a night than a lot of bars would make in a month, thats why all these places love their cover charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Santan wrote: »
    100 people paying €10 in is better than an extra €1000 in the tills from drinks, you got to pay for the drinks from that money then pay the vat on the drinks sold, usually cover charge is never declared so its tax free. Remember 1 club I was in, every saturday night 1000 people in the door @ €10 even if they never bought a drink it would be more profit in a night than a lot of bars would make in a month, thats why all these places love their cover charge

Yeah but clearly they weren't getting enough people in to sustain a revenue by having the cover charge.

~100 people in a night = €1000

Electricity costs, worker costs, bouncer costs, cleaner costs, etc would pretty much add up to that on it's own.
    If people were willing to pay the €10 in, odds were that they'd already been drinking in another bar and probably wouldn't even buy a drink in the foundry, this means that the bar would have made ~€3/400 in the night- certainly not enough to keep the business flowing when you include taxes, etc.

If they drop their charge, get ~4/500 people in every night..

Each person buys 2-3 drinks each @ €5, that's €15 each.

€15 x 500 = €7500, take away costs etc and it's still going to be a lot over €5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

yeah agree with you but im sure thats what they were looking at when they opened but clearly did not look at waterford, but if they were getting in 2/300 on sat night thats 3000 tax free then take 250 approx @ 10 per head thats another 2500 together 5500 - 6000 approx still not enough by any means to run a club I would think. They would have to be doing in the region just on a sat night 8/10000 if they have lost their other nights trading as no students would be very hard to reach their targets to break even depending how much capital they put in to buy it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Personaly I think cover charges for nothing eventually will be remembered as a Celtic Tiger phenomom(In waterford anyway). I have said before I would have no issue whatsoever paying €10 into somewhere if we are getting something for extra such as cheap drinks,Decent Band, famous DJ or whatever.

I was saying this during the week I think the foundry got this all wrong. what I would have done was have it free in for the first month. I'm sure all of us would have floated in for a look around at some point. that would build up a customer base.

Honestly would be very surprised if it just didn't turn into a clone of Masons by the end of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Santan wrote: »
    100 people paying €10 in is better than an extra €1000 in the tills from drinks...

Yes, but they weren't getting a tenner from everyone for a while. It wasn't long before they started the concessions.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me so much how they tried at first to overcharge. Now we have a new club that's free it :)
    Go Foundry!!!

Waterford has to be one of the best value places to go out in the country now. We have the commercial music like the Foundry and Masons, comfy places like Forum Lounge, and live music in several pubs all for free entry. Drink prices are reasonable too.

We just have to let everyone know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

dayshah wrote: »
    Yes, but they weren't getting a tenner from everyone for a while. It wasn't long before they started the concessions.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me so much how they tried at first to overcharge. Now we have a new club that's free it :)
    Go Foundry!!!

Waterford has to be one of the best value places to go out in the country now. We have the commercial music like the Foundry and Masons, comfy places like Forum Lounge, and live music in several pubs all for free entry. Drink prices are reasonable too.

We just have to let everyone know.

Free in??????? you sure? Its free in before 12 I think, and drink is still a rob in there I wouldnt be getting to excitied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

the forum was so dead last night it was horrific, on a may bank holiday weekend, surely the place is in trouble and will close soon if thats goin on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

O Riain wrote: »
    the forum was so dead last night it was horrific, on a may bank holiday weekend, surely the place is in trouble and will close soon if thats goin on.

there was a big night on friday night with a load of bands (including the fantastic Fighting Spiders) and theres a ska fest on tonight there, might be the reason for the small crowd last night?

The forum is doing okay. But if we ever lost it this city would lose its soul.

losing electric avenue was bad enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

kkdela6 wrote: »
    there was a big night on friday night with a load of bands (including the fantastic Fighting Spiders) and theres a ska fest on tonight there, might be the reason for the small crowd last night?
    kkdela6 wrote: »
    losing electric avenue was bad enough
    Lads...stop...I'm getting upset just thinking about it....

Doing ok? thats the 3rd saturday ive been in there and its been desserted, id hardly call that ok and here i payed to go in downstairs thinken this would do me for upstairs aswell, and then I have to pay in upstairs too!! What ta holy feck is that about, disgraceful! everyone goin on about the foundry when this carry on is going on!

Well we have a Forum representative on here so maybe he'll comment on that.

Well we have a Forum representative on here so maybe he'll comment on that.

On what the fact that I had to pay into the same venue twice or that its been empty?

Sure why not both

• Advertisement

ive never had a bad night in the forum it must be said. much rather pay money to have a night with good music, generally sound people and no fights/ knacker young ones and the general riff raff ya get around john street village

Doing ok? thats the 3rd saturday ive been in there and its been desserted, id hardly call that ok and here i payed to go in downstairs thinken this would do me for upstairs aswell, and then I have to pay in upstairs too!! What ta holy feck is that about, disgraceful! everyone goin on about the foundry when this carry on is going on!
    I'm used to it being quiet in there in the run up to summer, happens every year in there and I can't figure out why. Comes back in a big way come Spraoi and then stays steady until it peaks again at Halloween and New Years.

As for the price, it's two different venues. You paid into two different venues separately. There's no customers stairs connecting the two in fairness. The only way to get to the other without going outside is through staff doors. Dont think its disgraceful at all, and its always been like that. Only time it was any different was New Years. You're only paying €5 in before 12, and theres nearly always a band on whatever venue you choose to go into (theres ALWAYS someone on downstairs whenever I've gone upstairs).

When it was rubys lounge and club, you had to pay into each separately (if there was on charge on the Lounge). It's the Forum Lounge and Forum Venue. If you paid into a gig in Revolutions downstairs, you wouldnt expect to get into Escape for free then.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

On what the fact that I had to pay into the same venue twice or that its been empty?

Theyre not the same venue most nights though.Sometimes theyre combined on really busy nights (new years, stephens night, halloween) but in general theyre run completely seperate.Downstairs is the Forum Lounge & upstairs is the Forum Venue.2 different clubs, different acts, different music, different crowds.

I'm used to it being quiet in there in the run up to summer, happens every year in there and I can't figure out why. Comes back in a big way come Spraoi and then stays steady until it peaks again at Halloween and New Years.

As for the price, it's two different venues. You paid into two different venues separately. There's no customers stairs connecting the two in fairness. The only way to get to the other without going outside is through staff doors. Dont think its disgraceful at all, and its always been like that. Only time it was any different was New Years. You're only paying €5 in before 12, and theres nearly always a band on whatever venue you choose to go into (theres ALWAYS someone on downstairs whenever I've gone upstairs).

When it was rubys lounge and club, you had to pay into each separately (if there was on charge on the Lounge). It's the Forum Lounge and Forum Venue. If you paid into a gig in Revolutions downstairs, you wouldnt expect to get into Escape for free then.

There was never a door charge into rubys lounge and there is never a door charge into revolution.
    It is unreasonable in fairness and theyre connected by the smoking area, no reason why people cant be allowed just move through there.
    Tell me when you say its different venues do you mean its different owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Not different owners but different people would run the nights between upstairs and downstairs. And both venues have their own smoking areas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The Forum really is such a hit and miss place tbh. Like the guys have said, on the big nights like Spraoi and New Years, even the first Saturday of school/college holidays, there's no place better in the city. Up until a year or so ago the place was still quite decent on the normal nights too, and I can honestly say I always had a good night out there.

But since the start of 2010 there are some nights where it's absolutely diabolical. It was around the time they replaced the free in before 12 with a fiver in before 12. Me and the lads always made sure we were there before then, but I've lost count of the amount of times we've gone in for an hour or so and then end up walking back down to Masons or Harveys because the place is just completely dead.

Stephen's Day was the last really good night I had there tbh. Ever since then me and most of the others have just gone straight to Harveys instead because we know it'll always be busy enough there, as opposed to risking a fiver for another shíte night in the Forum.

If they brought back the free in before 12, that could all change.

There was never a door charge into rubys lounge and there is never a door charge into revolution.
    It is unreasonable in fairness and theyre connected by the smoking area, no reason why people cant be allowed just move through there.
    Tell me when you say its different venues do you mean its different owners?
    Meant it hypothetically.

It's two different venues, as in two different groups of people are targeted entertainment and band-wise. Acts that play downstairs wouldnt play upstairs and vice-versa. Different music is played by two different sets of DJ's when a band isn't playing, and from what I've noticed its even different staff for the two different venues.

Edit: If they charged €10 in the entire time no matter where you were going, I could see your point. On New Year's they charged €15 and I had no problem. Ranted about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69821727&postcount=445

Meant it hypothetically.

It's two different venues, as in two different groups of people are targeted entertainment and band-wise. Acts that play downstairs wouldnt play upstairs and vice-versa. Different music is played by two different sets of DJ's when a band isn't playing, and from what I've noticed its even different staff for the two different venues.

Edit: If they charged €10 in the entire time no matter where you were going, I could see your point. On New Year's they charged €15 and I had no problem. Ranted about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69821727&postcount=445

In fairness theyre the same smokin area with a wall in between and connected by a door, a tenner would be absolutely fine and id have no problem but thats the limit IMO no matter whats on offer. What got to me was the fact that we went up before 12 to get in for cheap and in the end we felt we got screwed.

In fairness theyre the same smokin area with a wall in between and connected by a door, a tenner would be absolutely fine and id have no problem but thats the limit IMO no matter whats on offer. What got to me was the fact that we went up before 12 to get in for cheap and in the end we felt we got screwed.
    I see what you mean, I've chanced my arm before when they bouncers recognise me or when its say 10:05. It's only worked twice though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The forums key demographic would be students, and are certainly much more reliant on returning students from other colleges than the other late venues. It's always quiet around this time with exams. I think traffik ran their traffikfest last year and it was a complete flop.

I do think they should allow entry to both venues with the same admission though and are making a big mistake by not doing it. If I'm having a bad night at the forum (their Manchester/Liverpool duel sticks out) then I leave. If I leave the place, they make no more money from me. If I had the choice to go downstairs and see whatever is happening there then I might not leave and could continue to spend money.

Advertisement