Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Something else will come along soon. It's just the news at the moment.

After all...the sound men will be heading into "Ten" soon. Apparently going to be the "Aldi" of night clubs....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Foundry was definitely open last night.

Got an email sent around work saying a representative had dropped in 70 free passes for that night if anyone wanted one.

70 free passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

After all...the sound men will be heading into "Ten" soon. Apparently going to be the "Aldi" of night clubs....

heard that.. know the guy who have the lease apparently, although haven't spoke with him in a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Foundry was definitely open last night.

Got an email sent around work saying a representative had dropped in 80 free passes for that night if anyone wanted one.

80 free passes.

FFS. Why don't they just do free entry for everybody. They might have a chance then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wasn't open at half 11 anyway, maybe they are just opening a bit later?

• Advertisement

Think they wait for the first customer to come along before they open. If nobody arrives they don't bother.*

*lies

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im not sure what this means :/

Im not sure what this means :/

I believe they're going to sell drink cheaply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

savic04 wrote: »
    This thread should be renamed ''THE FOUNDRY THREAD''
    Well there's nothing else to talk about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Boooourns

RxQueen wrote: »
    Well there's nothing else to b!tch about

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I believe they're going to sell drink cheaply.

Interesting if true. It'll be like seeing two different schools of thought on pricing policy for a nightclub between there and the foundry.

Boooourns wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    did I say b!tch|???? no i didnt, if thats what you want to do then fine

personally im not b!tching about it , I would like to see any business that comes here to do well, and it tried to do something different...

Was it over ambitous ? yes it was, it opened up seven nights a week, had the most deadful ad campagin for it. Had/has a charge in at the door, where if they did there research they would of seen that people are kicking up about €2 charge at harveys..... really if it was you that was opening an business and knew this, would you charge such high charges at the start? no i dont think so

Foundry does well in Carlow cause there isnt really anywhere else to go and it has a good rep. It doesnt have that here , so why did the come here expecting people to react the same in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Absolute madness opening another club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DunmoreRode

We need a new nightclub in town soley to keep this thread going, I'm gonna start trying to think of things to complain about the new place....even though i hope it does well.

how very sarcastic of you :rolleyes:

seriously do you think everybody here just wants a place to open so we can complain and hope it closes down? eh no.

It had major flaws to it opening up , and if another nightclub was to open and learn from that , they it might do better and not be closing most days so soon after opening.

Its Waterford like, as much as most like to say we're a city , come on get real, we dont have enough people willing to go out every night and pay a charge to get in somewhere that has expensive drinks. Even the town is dead most days, that should be a warning sign to any company coming in with over ambitous ideas... realism is a great thing

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We need a new nightclub in town soley to keep this thread going, I'm gonna start trying to think of things to complain about the new place....even though i hope it does well.

Mod Note

Pushing it. Give the trolling a rest. I wont ask you again, I am being very patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

how very sarcastic of you :rolleyes:

seriously do you think everybody here just wants a place to open so we can complain and hope it closes down? eh no.

It had major flaws to it opening up , and if another nightclub was to open and learn from that , they it might do better and not be closing most days so soon after opening.

Its Waterford like, as much as most like to say we're a city , come on get real, we dont have enough people willing to go out every night and pay a charge to get in somewhere that has expensive drinks. Even the town is dead most days, that should be a warning sign to any company coming in with over ambitous ideas... realism is a great thing

Very, Very True

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Well there's nothing else to talk about
    did I say b!tch|???? no i didnt, if thats what you want to do then fine

personally im not b!tching about it , I would like to see any business that comes here to do well, and it tried to do something different...

Was it over ambitous ? yes it was, it opened up seven nights a week, had the most deadful ad campagin for it. Had/has a charge in at the door, where if they did there research they would of seen that people are kicking up about €2 charge at harveys..... really if it was you that was opening an business and knew this, would you charge such high charges at the start? no i dont think so

Foundry does well in Carlow cause there isnt really anywhere else to go and it has a good rep. It doesnt have that here , so why did the come here expecting people to react the same in waterford

Haha Jesus calm down it wasn't directed at you, it was at the whole thread.
    I like the Waterford forum on Boards but some threads are pretty embarrassing, it's just one b!tch after another on some of them.

Boooourns wrote: »
    I like the Waterford forum on Boards but some threads are pretty embarrassing, it's just one b!tch after another on some of them.

My thoughts exactly, reading back over this thread is unreal, foundry was never given a chance.

My thoughts exactly, reading back over this thread is unreal, foundry was never given a chance.
    Did you ever go there, or do you just troll every thread :pac:!

• Advertisement

I have been there yes, it's a very good nightclub in my opinion, will go again.

Haven't clue what this trolling craic is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I gave it a chance and thought it was ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

On a different note...

where is the best pint of guiness in waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

angry_fox wrote: »
    On a different note...

where is the best pint of guiness in waterford?

Good question, im not a regular black stuff drinker but im sure some boardsies will have answers.
    I know of a pub in Portlaw that people said had the best pint, i know that is Waterford County not City.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Always a fan of Downses pints of Guinness. Dont really drink it any more though

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Cant believe I'm saying it but I really miss Rubys Lounge:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

zeppe wrote: »
    Cant believe I'm saying it but I really miss Rubys Lounge:o

I think the new owners really shot themselves in the foot getting rid of it, if they reopened it with the bands they would have got the crowds in, one thing about the place it was a badly designed pub but that could have been fixed.
    Hard to believe it's the entrance and cloakroom now.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Yeah, the bar could have been redesigned but wouldnt have taken much imo. I'm not a businessman but surely if they'd done their research they would have seen that Rubys was doing good business mon-thur(relative to other late bars) and stuffing them in fri-sun.
    Everybody benefited, staff, suppliers, bands, and it was well established. Great for singles, drinkers, groups..A lot of the old regulars,(I was one) are not going to go near the new nightclub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

STIG83 wrote: »
    Good question, im not a regular black stuff drinker but im sure some boardsies will have answers.
    I know of a pub in Portlaw that people said had the best pint, i know that is Waterford County not City.

Have to stop drinking the bottles bulmers now so i might as well go for the black stuff. Have had the odd pint of it in Masons and the like and it was horrible.

Another quick question, is tom maher's pub still open??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah I have to agree I was disappointed when I found out they weren't keeping Ruby's Lounge. If they had just opened that place up it would have been a great spot. As you said, they already had a crowd that always went there when out. Anytime I was out in town, I'd go there after Geoff's or wherever for the live music but I'm not going to head into a nightclub now that it's not there, I'm going to go to the closest thing which is The Front Lounge.

With regard to the other thread of discussion, I really have a problem with people coming on here suggesting that all anyone on this board, and in particular this thread, wants to do is criticise and hope somewhere fails. We all know there are people in the world who just love to moan but any criticism of The Foundry on here has been borne out. It's not pessimism when it's realism. If The Foundry had started with opening Wednesday to Sunday with a door charge on Friday and Saturday nights, that would have been a much more realistic way to start. They didn't. Fast forward a few weeks and they're handing out hundreds of free passes every night and open two days less than they originally intended.

I've heard from a few people that it's really nice in there. I'm delighted that someone has come in, provided much-needed work and an alternative spot. I just hope they refocus, become more realistic and tailor it to the needs of the city, not just expect everyone to embrace whatever they say or do. I hope they start to listen to feedback. At the moment they're just deleting anything they don't like which is tantamount to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting I can't hear you!

It might seem a bit biased as he's a regular poster on here but when The Front Lounge was in the planning stages, its owner was engaging with us and asking what we thought was missing in the town. I'm not suggesting business owners consult this board before any suggests that. I'm just putting it out there that I think it's better to talk openly with people rather than ignore them and assume you're doing everything right.

This is a discussion forum. That means multiple viewpoints on any topic. People are entitled to their opinion, even if it's one which criticises something that's good for the city, so long as it's not completely groundless.

Advertisement