Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

going away in two weeks. live in london and want to get the passport card so i dont have to carry my passport to the bars. how long is the turn around time for the card and to get it delivered to london

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I got mine in September, applied on a tuesday and it was delivered on the following friday. fantastic service. Don't know what delay if any will be to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

filmfanb wrote: »
    going away in two weeks. live in london and want to get the passport card so i dont have to carry my passport to the bars. how long is the turn around time for the card and to get it delivered to london

Apply today, you should get it in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

filmfanb wrote: »

Should be about a week including postage, make sure your address there will be someone there as outside of Ireland they use registered post

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

My girlfriend has lost her passport, she's living in the North, she has photo ID and a recent bank statement can anyone advise if they count as proof of name or does she need additional documentation. She's long since left school and has been unwaged for sometime now

• Advertisement

Oh yes should have said her original passport was issued after 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

whats she looking to do?
    have she a birth cert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Previous passport / driving licence / birth cert.

Happened to me before.

You have to fill out a form and have it stamped / signed by the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I submitted mine on Saturday through passport express. Website says renewals less than 10 working days but the target issue date is 01/11/2016 on the tracking information.
    I fly out on 31/10.
    Getting worried now, my own fault for not doing it earlier but thought at this time of year it wouldn't be as busy.

Passport is out for delivery so not a bad turnaround at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I was in Stansted last weekend and had booked via Ryanair for Sixt , I booked a Jeep Renegade or similar, I did an express payment the night before and was not asked about any sort of upgrade , they only seemed to take a hold of 114 euro for third party insurance on the cc and not the usual grand. I got in and out in about 2 minutes. I was presented with a Citroen Picasso type car which I taught ok I can deal with that, went to the car and couldnt get the seat to move back, asked for assistance and was given an E Class Merc Auto fully loaded for the weekend, nice upgrade for a 90euro booking , I wouldnt mind I had about 500 miles to do over the weekend .

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. Living in the North rules out having to tell the Garda.

As her lost passport was issued AFTER January 2005 she doesn't have to resubmit her birth certificate

What is required is photo ID which she has
    Proof of address which she has

What we can't understand is: "Proof of Address such as payslip, tax document, college registration etc" I have no idea what is included under the etc heading.

I would have thought that if your photo ID and your proof of address had your address on it then that would be sufficient as proof of Name.

But then this is for a passport and we do appreciate the crossing eyes etc and we don't want to aend off material to the office and have I rerurned

Again thanks

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

kah22 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Living in the North rules out having to tell the Garda.

As her lost passport was issued AFTER January 2005 she doesn't have to resubmit her birth certificate

What is required is photo ID which she has
    Proof of address which she has

What we can't understand is: "Proof of Address such as payslip, tax document, college registration etc" I have no idea what is included under the etc heading.

I would have thought that if your photo ID and your proof of address had your address on it then that would be sufficient as proof of Name.

But then this is for a passport and we do appreciate the crossing eyes etc and we don't want to aend off material to the office and have I rerurned

Again thanks

Kevin
    If you live in the North then you need to advise the PSNI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

cdsb46 wrote: »
    PSNI

I prefer to call them NIPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

kah22 wrote: »

Again thanks

Kevin

Photo ID would cover proof of name, but you'd still need 2 examples of proof of address. Also, the photo ID cannot be used to cover proof of address, so you can't just submit, for example, a drivers license (which would list your address and have your photo) and expect that to cover everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bernardj123

well lads i was born in england , both my mother and father are from Ireland they were born there , basically , at this moment i have no photo id , never had a passport irish or english, so i applied to the embassy in london for an irish one , after 2 weeks tracking it i noticed it was at stage 3 of 6 so i thought happy days , however i checked it 2 days later it said this application could not be processed ,
    i recived a letter highlighting my reference(person witnessing ) although he was a theripist, wasn't qualified , so i took that on the chin, filled out a new application got it witnessed by a preist and stamped photos /application , sent off the same id as before and also a letter from a hospital , social welfare letter ( jsa) , social fund letter, letter from the hospital , and the leeter they sent me from the embassy ,
    anyway sent it all off they recived it on the 12 th /10/ 2016 and on the 13 it went from stage 1 to stage 3 i started to get happy, and on the 14th i looked and it said this application could not be processed again ,
    can anyone give me some info before i blow my lid ha i need a passport asap

thank you

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're in the UK it might be easier to just get a British one - apply online, get your declaration and photos countersigned, send then in with your documents and you'll probably have an interview if it's your first as an adult. Shouldn't take longer than around a month total, they were very quick to respond when there were issues with mine.

It probably would be easier to get a British passport but with Brexit just around the corner then I'd suggest an Irish passport could be much more useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bernardj123

thanks for thr replys lads so you think it will be easier to get a british one ( have that as photo id) and apply for the irish one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

thanks for thr replys lads so you think it will be easier to get a british one ( have that as photo id) and apply for the irish one?

Easier is a subjective term.
    There are procedures for applying for both. Follow them and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 londontom

My Irish Passport Application was submitted through the London Embassy and registered on the 13/10/2016 at Dublin and is already in stage 2 which was updated on 14/10/2016.

The Embassy in London took a photocopy of my British passport and submitted that with my application. Was this meant to have been witnessed?

Also does it mean being a stage 2 that the documents and photos I submitted have been accepted?

Do they send all the original documents submitted back to you eg birth certificate, documents of proof of name in use etc?

How long do first time Irish passports take to be processed? The target date is 21/11/2016.

I was born in Northern Ireland before 2005 so from what I have read I am entitled to an Irish Passport and Citizenship by birthright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Any tips for passport card photo, I'm losing the will to live trying to get one accepted!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have the passport card acceptance issues of the past died down yet?

New paper passport arrived (4 working days post office to postbox, quickest I've ever seen) so I now have a useful validity for the card; but its not worth it if you have to bring the passport too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 londontom

Just a follow up on my previous post. Passport Application went from stage 2 to stage 5 today. Wow that's fast 3 working days and passport has been printed. Have been told I should have the passport by Friday because I am in London. That's a quick turnaround for a first Irish Passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

londontom wrote: »
    Just a follow up on my previous post. Passport Application went from stage 2 to stage 5 today. Wow that's fast 3 working days and passport has been printed. Have been told I should have the passport by Friday because I am in London. That's a quick turnaround for a first Irish Passport.
    thats shocking quick.

My last renewal from abroad took over 6 weeks leaving me having to apply for an emergency passport to travel on, and our complete utter lack of confidence in the irish passport service for its citizens abroad lead us to get german passports for the 2 kids (walk up service, passport in your hand in 20 minutes).

Its a joke that they can print a passport on passport express in a few days, yet for the same forms, for a renewal not needing any convoluted identity checks or the likes, they cannot be @rsed processing it for 6 weeks, if youre lucky

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My last renewal from abroad took over 6 weeks leaving me having to apply for an emergency passport to travel on, and our complete utter lack of confidence in the irish passport service for its citizens abroad lead us to get german passports for the 2 kids (walk up service, passport in your hand in 20 minutes).

After it took 9 weeks to renew my Irish one earlier this year from London (applied March 1st, had it in my hands the first week in May) I've only bothered getting a British passport for my son. Took about a week and a half for that once all the documentation was in, the hardest part was trying to get an appropriate picture of a 3 week old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Monzfrey

Monzfrey wrote: »
    Hey lads. I'm hoping to go to New Orleans next January but I'm not sure if my passport is valid. So I think it's an e-passport - it has the two lines of text in the form of letters, numbers and chevrons (<<<) at the bottom of the personal information page. However, the front of my passport is extremely faded that you can't really see the symbol (or indeed anything else). Would this pose a problem? I would post a pic but as a boards newbie I can't.
    When was it issued?
    1st of May 2009.
    Excellent. Was worried about how faded the front is but that's good news.

So, I emailed the passport office just to be 100% sure and they've told me to visit them to see if the chip still works. I won't be in Dublin or Cork anytime soon but I am going to Derry Airport next month - would someone there be able to check it for me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement