Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I'm applying for an Irish passport for the first time (have only had a UK passport up to now).

I'm doing this in London, using the Passport Express service, so I'll turn up with there with my documentation.

My question: do they hang on to all my documents while they process my application? One of my documents is my UK passport, but I need to hang on to it at all times. I travel about every two weeks, sometimes at short notice, so I can't leave my passport with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I'm applying for an Irish passport for the first time (have only had a UK passport up to now).

I'm doing this in London, using the Passport Express service, so I'll turn up with there with my documentation.

My question: do they hang on to all my documents while they process my application? One of my documents is my UK passport, but I need to hang on to it at all times. I travel about every two weeks, sometimes at short notice, so I can't leave my passport with them.

Yes they hang onto the documents and you will get them back with your new passport.

A notarised copy of your other passport will do or a notarised copy of your drivers license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Yes they hang onto the documents and you will get them back with your new passport.

A notarised copy of your other passport will do or a notarised copy of your drivers license.

Two different opinions within a minute of each other. Wonder who's right. This new world of "alternative facts" does make life interesting.

Any other opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Boozybee

Hi hope someone can help. I posted passport express on the 6th Jan after being told at post office that they were running on time i.e. I would have in 10 days. I'm due to fly on the 25th of Jan and when I check passport tracking it is telling me target date of 31st Jan. It's currently being processed. If it's not posted tomorrow I won't have in time. Anyone any idea if there is anything I can do to expediate matters??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Boozybee wrote: »
    Hi hope someone can help. I posted passport express on the 6th Jan after being told at post office that they were running on time i.e. I would have in 10 days. I'm due to fly on the 25th of Jan and when I check passport tracking it is telling me target date of 31st Jan. It's currently being processed. If it's not posted tomorrow I won't have in time. Anyone any idea if there is anything I can do to expediate matters??

Passport Express is 15 working days as advertised on An Post's and the Passport Services's website. It is unlikely that it will issue early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Not if the applications are posted in which is the majority of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

funnily, I was worried about this as I need a renewal , but when I contacted the Irish Embassy in Berlin they said they will send back the current passport ASAP so I can continue to use it.
    To get the new passport (after 6, 8 or god knows how long number of weeks) I'd have to send them the old passport again to be cancelled.

Maybe some Irish embassies have different procedures depending on location, but by rights they should all be the same !

veering slightly off course from what is currently the situation, has anyone heard when the app will be available to make an application for a full passport online or on your mobile , not just for the passport card ?

The UK have released something there yesterday to allow submission of photos from mobile phones, which would be half the battle even if a paper form is needed
    (......which itsself is a pure charade to have to get someone to witness your signature and photos, which they already have a good idea of from your previous passport / can automatically analyse anyhow - and which the brits have copped onto with their new renewals procedure where you sign the passport yourself after its posted to you).

veering slightly off course from what is currently the situation, has anyone heard when the app will be available to make an application for a full passport online or on your mobile , not just for the passport card ?

The UK have released something there yesterday to allow submission of photos from mobile phones, which would be half the battle even if a paper form is needed
    (......which itsself is a pure charade to have to get someone to witness your signature and photos, which they already have a good idea of from your previous passport / can automatically analyse anyhow - and which the brits have copped onto with their new renewals procedure where you sign the passport yourself after its posted to you).

Online adult renewal applications are rumoured to happen this year at some point

• Advertisement

cdsb46 wrote: »
    Online adult renewal applications are rumoured to happen this year at some point
    probably no point in me waiting then seeing as I'll need to make an application in a matter of weeks rather than months.

Louche Lad wrote: »

An update, in case anyone else has the same query...
    At my interview at the Irish passport office in London, they scanned my UK passport and gave it straight back to me. Other documents: they kept those — I assume they will post them to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paulkins

Hi, I recently had my irish passport stolen and am in the process of applying for a new one.
    On the information sheet provided with the application form it States, if your passport was issued on or before 1st January 2005, you needn't provide birth cert, marriage cert and proof of citizenship, dose anyone know if this is correct? And what I do need to provide?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paulkins

Thanks, I have been on that sight, it still dosnt state what documentation is required...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

If you are an Irish citizen living in Ireland and you have lost your Irish passport, or it has been stolen, you must report the loss of your passport to the Passport Office immediately. You will be asked to confirm the loss in writing or if you are applying for a new passport to include the details in your application.

To apply for a new passport, you must fill out form APS 1. You must give the circumstances of the loss in Section 6 of the form. You can obtain an APS1 form from your nearest Garda Station or Post Office. This form must be witnessed/countersigned by a member of An Garda Siochana who must also sign and stamp Section 6.

You must resubmit all the supporting documents required with a normal first-time passport application to the Passport Office. These documents include the full long form birth certificate, a marriage/civil partnership certificate (if applicable) and four passport sized photographs. You can read more about how to apply for a passport in our document on applying for an Irish passport.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_passport.html

As mentioned above, the Irish independent is reporting that the online renewals system will be introduced later in the year.
    I'm very interested in how the processes can possibly work if they intend to continue the senseless and illogical waste of time and effort in getting your signature and photo confirmed by a 3rd party, even though with a renewal they already have your signature and previous photo on file and the technology available to verify the new photo with the old one biometrically. (And if it is to be judged as unnecessary then why can they not abolish it now from the procedure!)
    It mentions that currently you can now track applications online which I thought was already in place, unless it's now a development on the backend that everything is now automatically processed with automatic status reports rather than manually processed with a manual entry into a status tracker.
    http://m.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/renewing-your-passport-you-can-now-track-applications-online-35403535.html

• Advertisement

As mentioned above, the Irish independent is reporting that the online renewals system will be introduced later in the year.
    I'm very interested in how the processes can possibly work if they intend to continue the senseless and illogical waste of time and effort in getting your signature and photo confirmed by a 3rd party, even though with a renewal they already have your signature and previous photo on file and the technology available to verify the new photo with the old one biometrically. (And if it is to be judged as unnecessary then why can they not abolish it now from the procedure!)
    It mentions that currently you can now track applications online which I thought was already in place, unless it's now a development on the backend that everything is now automatically processed with automatic status reports rather than manually processed with a manual entry into a status tracker.
    http://m.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/renewing-your-passport-you-can-now-track-applications-online-35403535.html

For online renewals you won't need anything to be signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Anyone have an idea on current waiting times for both passports and passport cards? Thanks

Does anyone have an idea on current waiting times to receive passport cards / full passports once an application is made? Thanks!

Does anyone have an idea on current waiting times to receive passport cards / full passports once an application is made? Thanks!

They are listed on their website https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/turnaroundtimes/

cdsb46 wrote: »

Oops thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Damaged my passport and need a new one. Is there anything stopping me just applying for a passport card and not telling them? Should you still bring your passport with you when travelling within the EU? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Cheers Fred. Have you ever had any bother with the card? I've trips to Croatia and France coming up.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement