Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I'm travelling to America in a few months and whilst i have the chip sign on the front of my passport, it has wiped off and the last 2 times i've flown where you can use your passport with a chip on it for fast track passport control mine hasn't scanned either time. Should i apply for a new one or will it be ok?

Probably best to err on the side of caution and apply for a new one, but it's entirely up to you.

My passport has expired.
    I have been asked, by my new employer, to make arrangements to travel at short notice on business to our parent plant on continent for Next Tuesday.

This is time sensitive as the parent plant takes holidays in July and the window of opportunity is next week or not at all! I cannot apply for an appointment unless a booking is made 48 hrs prior is there any way I can make an appointment and avail of the rapid service?

Thanks

You should be able to apply for a rapid renewal appointment. I think they open up at 12.30 every day for the following day but you'd need to be on the site at 12.30 exactly because there's a limited number of slots available and they get snapped up very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I understand there is a major backlog in the passport office currently. I am due to fly out on the 19th of August and need to get a replacement passport (lost one). I have lost another previously, would I best off booking an appointment and going to the office or would PP express arrive in time?

domrush wrote: »
    I understand there is a major backlog in the passport office currently. I am due to fly out on the 19th of August and need to get a replacement passport (lost one). I have lost another previously, would I best off booking an appointment and going to the office or would PP express arrive in time?

You have 23 working days from today. You should be OK - however if you've lost more than one passport your application could be delayed for further checks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

My renewal - received by P.O. day 1, posted by them (working) day 9, received by me (working) day 10

Total 14 days including weekends from them receiving it to me receiving it back, not too bad all things considered

• Advertisement

Panic!!
    Please help.

Due to travel to Germany this Thursday morning. Went to check in online only to discover my passport is a year out of date.

Is there anything I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Is there any walk-in service? For cancellations etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

TheTorment wrote:
    Due to travel to Germany this Thursday morning. Went to check in online only to discover my passport is a year out of date.

TheTorment wrote:
    Is there anything I can do?

Get all your documents ready today and head early tomorrow morning to their office, bring your proof of travel and hope for the best. It's a renewal so it should be a straight forward job. Best of luck.

I booked an appointment on line for tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can help.

Cant believe I didn't know it had expired! Silly and perhaps costly mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Hi all,

My name on my old passport is what appears on my birth cert and that's the name I'll be putting on my new one. So how does one answer the question 'Do you also wish to have your birth certificate name noted on your passport?' in the above case. Yes? No? This is probably a dumb question but I need my passport in six weeks so I don't want any delays in my application.

Ta!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Is this not an optional question? If the two names are the same then I would presume that you don't need to note an additional name on the passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Elliott S wrote: »
    Hi all,

My name on my old passport is what appears on my birth cert and that's the name I'll be putting on my new one. So how does one answer the question 'Do you also wish to have your birth certificate name noted on your passport?' in the above case. Yes? No? This is probably a dumb question but I need my passport in six weeks so I don't want any delays in my application.

Ta!

You just tick no, as appears on the form (Observations will appear only if your birth name is different from the name to appear on your passport)

Elliott S wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ta!

For people whose name has changed since they were born, it is possible to print the passport with the datapage showing your current name, and an observation on page three of the passport saying something like "the bearer of this passport was registered at birth as xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

So if you've never changed your name, one would answer the question "No".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭maniac2003

Anyone got any updates on this please? Will be renting a car from Barcelona airport in September do not want to be going off to another site to pick up the car, any idea what firms are actually located at the airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Finally got around to getting a form to renew my passport. I want to change my name back to my maiden name. As advised here I have a number of proofs of habitual usage from the past three years but I can't see anywhere on the form where it mentions changing name. Do i just put my maiden name in the "name to be included" section and enclose the documents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Heading into the Passport office tomorrow morning without an appointment. Lost previous pass port, am I missing anything I would need? Have the following :
    Debit Card (for fee)
    4 photos (2 signed by guard)
    ATS1 form (signed by guard)
    Copy of Birth Cert
    Proof of Address
    Photo ID

domrush wrote: »
    Heading into the Passport office tomorrow morning without an appointment. Lost previous pass port, am I missing anything I would need? Have the following :
    Debit Card (for fee)
    4 photos (2 signed by guard)
    ATS1 form (signed by guard)
    Copy of Birth Cert
    Proof of Address
    Photo ID

If you are travelling in less than 10 working days then you should bring some proof of travel too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hi all

Only got a new passport last year, photo taken with my glasses on as I wore them full time.

I just recently have gotten eye surgery meaning I no longer wear glasses. Will this cause issues when travelling with my passport?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Hi all

Only got a new passport last year, photo taken with my glasses on as I wore them full time.

I just recently have gotten eye surgery meaning I no longer wear glasses. Will this cause issues when travelling with my passport?

My brother got laser surgery about 2 years ago. He is now back to wearing glasses as it ultimately wasn't successful. I would give it time.

pablo128 wrote: »
    My brother got laser surgery about 2 years ago. He is now back to wearing glasses as it ultimately wasn't successful. I would give it time.

Mine wasn't laser. Implantable lenses. So I would hope to have them for the foreseeable future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Mine wasn't laser. Implantable lenses. So I would hope to have them for the foreseeable future!

Well he hoped to never wear glasses again.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Hi all

It wont cause any issues. People change hair colour and style all the time which will not be consistant with the photo on their passport. Im sure people can still tell it is you with your glasses off...unless of course you are Clark Kent.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    It wont cause any issues. People change hair colour and style all the time which will not be consistant with the photo on their passport. Im sure people can still tell it is you with your glasses off...unless of course you are Clark Kent.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I look completely different than my passport photo from a year ago, I've lost about 15Kg and grown quite the beard (I'm clean shaven and have short hair in the photo). Recently the security guy at Prague airport stopped me and asked me if I'd forgotten my razor but that's the only time anyone has even passed remark on the rather stark difference and I regularly travel through passport checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Okay so we are going on our honeymoon in 4 weeks and my fiance is worried her biometric passport may be faulty and as we are going to the states this is now a must have to get in.

It was issued in 2007 and she had problems with security and check-in readers around then. Someone mentioned there was a bad batch of passports from back then so she thought this might be the possibility.

We just came back from the UK last month and on security returning through dublin airport we tested it on the automated machines and it worked however im not certain if these machines are just checking the machine code or actually reading the biometric chip in the passport.

Is there any confirmed way anyone knows to check if the chip its working without just going and getting a completely new passport? We would have to pay fees and stuff for the flights and it would just be another thing to do on top of all the current wedding stuff we already have on top of us so would love to not have to add that to the list if its possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help anyone can give.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Okay so we are going on our honeymoon in 4 weeks and my fiance is worried her biometric passport may be faulty and as we are going to the states this is now a must have to get in.

It was issued in 2007 and she had problems with security and check-in readers around then. Someone mentioned there was a bad batch of passports from back then so she thought this might be the possibility.

We just came back from the UK last month and on security returning through dublin airport we tested it on the automated machines and it worked however im not certain if these machines are just checking the machine code or actually reading the biometric chip in the passport.

Is there any confirmed way anyone knows to check if the chip its working without just going and getting a completely new passport? We would have to pay fees and stuff for the flights and it would just be another thing to do on top of all the current wedding stuff we already have on top of us so would love to not have to add that to the list if its possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help anyone can give.

You can call into the Customer Care section of either Passport office (Dublin or Cork) and have the chip tested

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

cdsb46 wrote: »
    You can call into the Customer Care section of either Passport office (Dublin or Cork) and have the chip tested

Thanks ive been calling the number but it seems constantly engaged, ill drop in asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

They seem to be issuing a few days before target date.posted on 11/7 received on 12/7. Target date was 2/8 but received it today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement