Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is the Swedish ID a national ID card? If so, then your fine. You are able to travel on a EU/EEA issued national id card within the EU / EEA (even with Ryanair)

Still don't know why Ireland doesn't have one to be honest.

With the new passport cards for travel in the EU and the new style public service card for Govt. supplied services like free travel and social welfare, it doesn't make any sense to have a third card.

Besides which, nothing could get the self-styled guardians of our 'civil liberties' up in arms faster than a proposal to introduce a national ID card - 'police state' and all that type of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Hi. Have an appointment to renew my passport next week in the passport office. Have all sorted. Just a question about the payment. I'll be expensing the cost. Anybody know if i can pay with American Express at the counter? Or visa. Or what are the payment options?

AMEX - I don't think so

Visa - definitely

cash - absolutely

cheques aren't accepted tho, iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

fxotoole wrote: »
    AMEX - I don't think so

Visa - definitely

cash - absolutely

cheques aren't accepted tho, iirc

All cards accepted as long as it's chip and pin (Mastercard, Visa and AMEX are definitely accepted)

Cash, Bank order, Postal order & Cheques are also accepted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

What is the earliest I can renew an Irish passport due for expiration end of January 2017? I heard/read somewhere that you cannot renew your existing passport until three months before the assigned expiration date. Or can I renew it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

uvox wrote: »
    What is the earliest I can renew an Irish passport due for expiration end of January 2017? I heard/read somewhere that you cannot renew your existing passport until three months before the assigned expiration date. Or can I renew it now?

You can renew it now. People renew passports early for all sorts of reasons (damaged, pages full, visa stamps, etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My passport finally hit stage 3 today after 8 (of up to 4) days at stage 2. Target issue date still September first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

athtrasna wrote: »
    Passport application registered as received 12/08, website still saying 10 day turnaround yet my expected issue date is 01 September. Don't need it urgently but interesting to note inconsistencies.
    Same timeline here (renewal) - received 11th August, target issue date 31st August.
    My passport finally hit stage 3 today after 8 (of up to 4) days at stage 2. Target issue date still September first.

Interesting, must have been an 'issue'. Yours and mine were a day apart, but I have my new passport in hand since last Wednesday.

Interesting, must have been an 'issue'. Yours and mine were a day apart, but I have my new passport in hand since last Wednesday.

I was changing my name back to my maiden name so might have been the issue even though I provided ample proof of common usage, it's printed now so hopefully not long before I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

What is the option of renewing the expired passport? I didn't get any information about specifically of expired passport renewal, anywhere in the passport.ie website.

Is it the same procedure as for the normal due-to-expire passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I'v being trying to get Passport cards for myself and the missus. When I get as far as validate your picture the icon in the corners go's around and nothing else happens. We'v tried it on a laptop top and a desk top to no avail. Help needed plese.

No Fred, perfect connection. Two different computers different parts of Carrigaline.

I was changing my name back to my maiden name so might have been the issue even though I provided ample proof of common usage, it's printed now so hopefully not long before I have it.

Passport arrived this morning, two days ahead of target issue date, 14 working days start to finish

Got it sorted in the end,bit of a drag to be honest. Problem must have been the web site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

My passport expires on Jan 31st 2017, I plan to travel outside the EU to a country that requires 6 months validity. I'm thinking to get started on the renewal now shortly.

I wonder do I have to wait for it to expire before renewal or could I get them to start my new passport on December 1st for example or will they only issue it from the date it was created on?

My passport expires on Jan 31st 2017, I plan to travel outside the EU to a country that requires 6 months validity. I'm thinking to get started on the renewal now shortly.

I wonder do I have to wait for it to expire before renewal or could I get them to start my new passport on December 1st for example or will they only issue it from the date it was created on?

I had a years validity on mine and renewed it in August. My new passport is valid until August 2026 so I did effectively lose a year but I really wanted to change my name (divorcing) and I wanted to get it sorted at a time when the office wasn't at its busiest.

We were typing on the 29th, I replied to you the following day that we got it sorted, at about 4pm. The two cards arrived in the post a couple of minutes ago. How about that for service.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i am a first time applicant - citizenship from naturalisation.
    i am travelling on oct 26th.
    i tried to book appointment. the website suggests passport express is 15days and 20days via application in person.
    so i am not sure to go via passport express or appointment.
    any suggestions?
    i am assuming first time applications take long time for processing compared to renewals.
    when you apply in person - would they give you indicative date for collection of passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

i am a first time applicant - citizenship from naturalisation.
    i am travelling on oct 26th.
    i tried to book appointment. the website suggests passport express is 15days and 20days via application in person.
    so i am not sure to go via passport express or appointment.
    any suggestions?
    i am assuming first time applications take long time for processing compared to renewals.
    when you apply in person - would they give you indicative date for collection of passport?

You shouldn't book your travel till you receive your Irish Passport in hand, My advice is to submit your application via passport express as it will be cheaper and faster than the public counter

• Advertisement

cdsb46 wrote: »
    My advice is to submit your application via passport express as it will be cheaper and faster than the public counter

passport website tells the same - passport express faster.
    then why do they offer public counter and also charge extra?
    at the counter, do they tell you a confirmed date for collection of passport ?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

passport website tells the same - passport express faster.
    then why do they offer public counter and also charge extra?
    at the counter, do they tell you a confirmed date for collection of passport ?

Once my friend had a problem of getting a passport for his child as the child's father (my friend's husband) was working abroad. The application requires both parents' signature. She had to go the counter to sort the problem out by speaking directly about the problems to the person at the counter. She didn't mind the extra fare (more than postal application) she paid for getting the issue solved by direct application at the counter.

The application at the counter does get the confirmed date of passport collection.

mac.in wrote: »
    The application at the counter does get the confirmed date of passport collection.
    thanks mate

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

My application online says it was updated this morning then again at 1pm but it hasn't changed stages or anything. How come? I thought it would only be updated once there has been changes

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Monzfrey

Hey lads. I'm hoping to go to New Orleans next January but I'm not sure if my passport is valid. So I think it's an e-passport - it has the two lines of text in the form of letters, numbers and chevrons (<<<) at the bottom of the personal information page. However, the front of my passport is extremely faded that you can't really see the symbol (or indeed anything else). Would this pose a problem? I would post a pic but as a boards newbie I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

When was it issued?

1st of May 2009.

Excellent. Was worried about how faded the front is but that's good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I submitted mine on Saturday through passport express. Website says renewals less than 10 working days but the target issue date is 01/11/2016 on the tracking information.
    I fly out on 31/10.
    Getting worried now, my own fault for not doing it earlier but thought at this time of year it wouldn't be as busy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement