Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pfxh

pfxh wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments.
    Yes, perhaps your interpretation of "if applicable" is correct.
    However, I had originally understood this to mean that the birth certificate was obligatory but the marriage cert "only if applicable".
    Anyway, following your suggestion, I've emailed the Passport Office with this query so let's see what they reply (assuming they will actually reply).:)
    Well, it seems that to renew your passport, you do NOT need to provide your Irish-born parent's birth certificate if you were born outside of Ireland.
    I sent in the following only:
    1. Completed application form (with section completed by Garda)
    2. 4 photos (2 of which signed and stamped by Garda)
    3. Old passport
    4. My birth certificate (only because my birth cert name is different from my passport name)

and got the new passport yesterday without a hitch.
    The total cost was:
    1. €80 for 10-year passport
    2. €9.50 for passport express cost
    3. €7.50 for photos in pharmacy
    So, €97 in total.
    Note that, if you use Passport Express you do not need to fill in your credit card details in the form as you pay €80 + €9.50 to the post office.
    As I`m in Limerick, my application went to the Cork passport office where, according to the girl who dealt with me in the Limerick Post Office, there are no delays. She said I would get my new passport in two and a half weeks and that turned out to be exactly right.
    Incidentally, the passport office still have not replied to the email I sent three weeks ago so that does not seem to be a fruitful line of enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

pfxh wrote: »
    Well, it seems that to renew your passport, you do NOT need to provide your Irish-born parent's birth certificate if you were born outside of Ireland.
    I sent in the following only:
    1. Completed application form (with section completed by Garda)
    2. 4 photos (2 of which signed and stamped by Garda)
    3. Old passport
    4. My birth certificate (only because my birth cert name is different from my passport name)

and got the new passport yesterday without a hitch.
    The total cost was:
    1. €80 for 10-year passport
    2. €9.50 for passport express cost
    3. €7.50 for photos in pharmacy
    So, €97 in total.
    Note that, if you use Passport Express you do not need to fill in your credit card details in the form as you pay €80 + €9.50 to the post office.
    As I`m in Limerick, my application went to the Cork passport office where, according to the girl who dealt with me in the Limerick Post Office, there are no delays. She said I would get my new passport in two and a half weeks and that turned out to be exactly right.
    Incidentally, the passport office still have not replied to the email I sent three weeks ago so that does not seem to be a fruitful line of enquiry.

Queries are best posted to their twitter account @PassportIRL also most of the queries being asked on their twitter account seem to be for questions that are answered on the website. People should read the website thoroughly before enquiring

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Slightly unusual one this:

The thick ID card from my passport has more or less broken away the actual passport (hanging on, but just about). I live in Berlin and flying to Bahrain in three weeks, so would be a bit nervous about handing it to the embassy to be sent back to Dublin for repair (if they even do that) and getting it back in time.

I presume I'm okay to just sellotape it firmly back into position, or would that be suspicious? Have the feeling I'm just being a bit overly paranoid.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The thick ID card from my passport has more or less broken away the actual passport (hanging on, but just about). I live in Berlin and flying to Bahrain in three weeks, so would be a bit nervous about handing it to the embassy to be sent back to Dublin for repair (if they even do that) and getting it back in time.

I presume I'm okay to just sellotape it firmly back into position, or would that be suspicious? Have the feeling I'm just being a bit overly paranoid.
    You will most likely be turned away from the airport with a passport like that. I'd get on to the embassy as soon as. You will need a new passport.

You may make it out of Germany but you will be stopped entering Bahrain, you could even be detained, you need to renew your passport as a damaged passport. You should contact the embassy in Berlin for the turnaround times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

They don't take kindly to modifications to your passport, e.g. cello taping pages, especially the main one - the ID. Get a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I renewing my passport, I am just over 65 years & I see there is a box in SECTION 1 of the form for OVER 65, 10 YEARS. Does this mean its cheaper. I check the website & over 65 in not mentioned anywhere. Why is it on the form if its the usual 10 year passport.

hillbloom wrote: »
    I renewing my passport, I am just over 65 years & I see there is a box in SECTION 1 of the form for OVER 65, 10 YEARS. Does this mean its cheaper. I check the website & over 65 in not mentioned anywhere. Why is it on the form if its the usual 10 year passport.

It used to be free, but was gotten rid of in the final budget of the last FF government, there is no reduction in price for over 65's

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

domrush wrote: »
    I understand there is a major backlog in the passport office currently. I am due to fly out on the 19th of August and need to get a replacement passport (lost one). I have lost another previously, would I best off booking an appointment and going to the office or would PP express arrive in time?

Anybody any idea how quick a passport can be issued in these circumstances? I have an appointment booked but only have 8 working days until I travel from the appointment date. Have I any hope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Absolute min is 3 days, only by personal appointment with proof of travel.

Thanks Fred, i have the appointment and proof of travel printed. Hopefully I've left enough buffer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Is it possible to have pages added to an Irish passport? Or do you just replace it and get a bigger one next time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sent off my renewal with proof of maiden name usage from last 4 years today, will be interesting to see how long it takes.

On another note, I was bamboozled that when paying for passport express I could only use my debit card yet had I been able to send the form through the regular post I could have used my credit card. May catch some people out.

The passport office does not accept applications by regular post at all.

I know. My point was the form allows for payment by credit card but An Post only accept debit cards or cash

Passport application registered as received 12/08, website still saying 10 day turnaround yet my expected issue date is 01 September. Don't need it urgently but interesting to note inconsistencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

athtrasna wrote: »
    Passport application registered as received 12/08, website still saying 10 day turnaround yet my expected issue date is 01 September. Don't need it urgently but interesting to note inconsistencies.

Same timeline here (renewal) - received 11th August, target issue date 31st August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Posted my renewal on the 4th of August.

Used the online tracker.

It was received on the 5th.
    It reached stage two on the 8th. Was stuck their until this morning.
    Now its at stage 5!

Application No. ********** is at Stage 5 of 6: Your Passport has been Printed.

Your Passport has been printed. The production and posting stage takes about 2 working days.

Just thought I would inform people of this. It seems that the online tracker isn't up to speed in case anybody is panicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Aaron97

Hi all, I sent off my first time application for the passport on the 19th of July and I'm still waiting for it today the tracking system says it was due yesterday but it didn't arrive, has anyone any idea how long the application takes for first time applications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say if you don't get it in tomorrows post contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Hi. Have an appointment to renew my passport next week in the passport office. Have all sorted. Just a question about the payment. I'll be expensing the cost. Anybody know if i can pay with American Express at the counter? Or visa. Or what are the payment options?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

hillbloom wrote: »

A very petty decision unfortunately. Over 65s should be free.

The passport is the exact same so presume the box is for statistical purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Villainswe

Hello all. I lost my passport so I missed my flight to sweden from ireland today. I have my Irish driving licence and Swedish ID and I hope that this is enough to get to Stockholm. I know Ryanair need a passport but I think SAS just need a Id card. Anyone who can help? Otherwise I need to go to cork and get a new passport, which might take days. I need to be back at work soon. Thanks for reading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think because we are outside Schengen you'll need a passport, but ring SAS and see.

spurious wrote: »
    I think because we are outside Schengen you'll need a passport, but ring SAS and see.

Thank you for writing. I called aer lungus and they said the same.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is the Swedish ID a national ID card? If so, then your fine. You are able to travel on a EU/EEA issued national id card within the EU / EEA (even with Ryanair)

Still don't know why Ireland doesn't have one to be honest.

Thanks for the advice. I will check SAS . I am hoping that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was it a Swedish passport or an Irish one?

If it was Swedish, contact the Swedish embassy - they'll be able to get you back quicker and then you can replace the passport once home.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Thanks for reading. It is (was) an Irish passport. But I have a Swedish ID card and social security number so I am hoping that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

You can use an emergency service in Ireland to get a new passport

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement