Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Whats the point in going to New York if you can't buy a load stuff!

I've always reserved a special disdain for folks who come back from NYC and can't wait to tell you about a designer concession mall they bused to somewhere in sh1tsville, New Jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I've always reserved a special disdain for folks who come back from NYC and can't wait to tell you about a designer concession mall they bused to somewhere in sh1tsville, New Jersey.

Yep. I wouldn't use language as strong as that, but New York is one of the worlds truly great cities. If the only thing you can think of to do there is shop, well......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why are people saying 'after all the charges'? A lot of people don't need a bag, a small carry on is just fine. I just did a week in Europe with a ruck sack that would have fitted under the limit for Wow Air just fine.

It's fine to want a bag etc but this is an amazing deal for those of us who don't need an entire wardrobe of clothes and luxury treatment.

It's only a 5kg carry on allowance and a vast majority of people buy lots of clothes in New York

Show me one set of dates where it's €400 with the November availability? (around €400 is roughly €390-€410).

Are lingus will also feed you and provide you with drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

ted1 wrote: »
    Are lingus will also feed you and provide you with drink

Airplane food and mini cans of coke? I'll save the €150 lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's only a 5kg carry on allowance and a vast majority of people buy lots of clothes in New York

No, they don't. Not anymore, not since the end of the Celtic Tiger & the weakness of the euro vs the dollar.

I have 3 sets of family and friends who have been to NY in the past year. One went for a wedding. One went to see the sights over Xmas and New Year. One went for a bog standard holiday, to see the sights. They didn't go to shop, especially not for clothes. While they were there, they kept their eyes out for bargains on iPads, iPhones, brand name cosmetics that would fit inside a handbag...that kind of stuff, not bulky clothing that requires a whole other suitcase, that you have to pay $100 to check in.

Airplane food and mini cans of coke? I'll save the €150 lol.

It's not 150 quid difference
    It's several hours ( lay over , longer flying time , immigration in the states) and after a bag about 50 euro. You'll get beers and food on Aer lingus , buying food and drink on the plane will reduce the 50 euro again. Bringing 1 lire of water with WOW will reduce your carry in allowance to 4kg

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No, they don't. Not anymore, not since the end of the Celtic Tiger & the weakness of the euro vs the dollar.

I have 3 sets of family and friends who have been to NY in the past year. One went for a wedding. One went to see the sights over Xmas and New Year. One went for a bog standard holiday, to see the sights. They didn't go to shop, especially not for clothes. While they were there, they kept their eyes out for bargains on iPads, iPhones, brand name cosmetics that would fit inside a handbag...that kind of stuff, not bulky clothing that requires a whole other suitcase, that you have to pay $100 to check in.

I imagine that they bought nice shoes and clothes for the wedding with them, that would easily put them over the 5kg allowance so you are into checked in baggage , 110 euro please

• Registered Users Posts: 18,146 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Have you ever flown short haul with Aer Lingus or Ryanair? The Carry on baggage allowance? Half it. You wouldn't fit your underwear into the 5kg, never mind wedding clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Went to New York with the wife 3 years ago. Brought two big suitcases and went to the Outlet store. Stocked up on designer jeans for 15-20 euros etc. Just travel light going over and then you have no charge coming back.

Does the cheap airline have tv for each passenger, that alone is worth 150 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Yep. I wouldn't use language as strong as that, but New York is one of the worlds truly great cities. If the only thing you can think of to do there is shop, well......:rolleyes:

I don't understand this attitude tbh. So people went and shopped & it affects your enjoyment of the city, how? I love to shop. I also love New York. The last time I went, I'd seen a lot of the sites already so I did the bus to the outlets (having done one before) and I shopped. It wasn't the only thing I could think of to do but some people find that enjoyable even if others don't.

I don't find beach holidays enjoyable but not going to slag off those who do. And maybe showing stuff they bought is easier than describing all the cool things they did & feeling like they're bragging over their holiday?

Anyway on topic - I'd want to know exactly what I'd be getting for that airfare. As mentioned Aer Lingus isn't too expensive and you do get the benefits of the pre-clearance. Only time I've found the price prohibitive was around St. Patrick's Day which I can kinda understand & I just went BA for that. While I have no issue with Ryanair - I wouldn't want to fly them, or similar, long haul!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,741 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's not 150 quid difference
    It's several hours ( lay over , longer flying time , immigration in the states) and after a bag about 50 euro. You'll get beers and food on Aer lingus , buying food and drink on the plane will reduce the 50 euro again. Bringing 1 lire of water with WOW will reduce your carry in allowance to 4kg

Aer lingus charge for beer and the food is ****e, I also really dislike the cabin crews attitude on any flight I've gotten with them, if an extra 3 hours travel means I'd avoid that I'd gladly do it. The baggage allowance wouldn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Aer lingus charge for beer and the food is ****e, I also really dislike the cabin crews attitude on any flight I've gotten with them, if an extra 3 hours travel means I'd avoid that I'd gladly do it. The baggage allowance wouldn't bother me.

so 6 hours plus the immigration another 1 - 2 hours, that's nearly 20% of your weekend gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Different people prefer different things, some will have next to no luggage, others lots.

I think some people here need to recognise that we are not all the same and that there is plenty of room for the various different offerings that each airline has.

Some people will like WOW, others Aer Lingus, others BA.

But trying to suggest that everyone fits neatly into one category is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,741 ✭✭✭hynesie08

so 6 hours plus the immigration another 1 - 2 hours, that's nearly 20% of your weekend gone.

The last couple of times I've gone to NYC I've flown virgin from Heathrow and I've never spent more than 20 minutes at immigration. I'd obviously prefer to fly from Dublin/London but if the only affordable options were this or aer lingus I'd seriously consider this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

uli84 wrote: »
    Cobalt Airlines, prices look good for high season

That's not just good, those fares are fantastic value. €100 return to Cyprus in Summer!
    http://www.cobalt.aero/

VG31 wrote: »
    That's not just good, those fares are fantastic value. €100 return to Cyprus in Summer!
    http://www.cobalt.aero/

Yea, I was looking at these, are they right?
    Is there something I'm not seeing here?
    They seem unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Any passport office staff able to help me? My relatives, abroad, are still waiting to receive their children's passport which should have issued last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

robinph wrote: »
    So, person A is UK passport holder and previous Irish resident for long time, but currently resident in UK.
    Person B is Irish passport holder and long time UK resident and married to person A.
    Person C is Irish and UK passport holder due to being child of A+B.

We can get a UK passport for person B due to residency and marriage, application will be going in the post shortly. Had planned on doubling up on passports anyway just down to then having a spare for when you forget to renew the other one.

Is is possible to get an Irish passport, therefore still an EU one after the other nonsense is concluded, for person A?
    From looking up the requirements previously I think you just needed to be resident for X of the previous Y years, and pay some extortionate fee. I think that the time limit for person A applying under that reason may have now expired though due to not being resident any more. No knowing what effect the Brexit will have on the CTA rules, but is there anyway, other than the whole family moving back to Ireland for 5 years, to get the dual nationality for everyone.

Person A would have to go back to Irelaf and reside there before applying for naturalisation. The prior residence might be countable, depending on how long ago they've left Ireland.

Person A would qualify for naturalisation if they had spent a cumulative total of (I think) 5 years out of the last 9 years residing in Ireland, and if the final year of residence was 1 year's continuous residence.

They wouldn't necessarily go back to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

We are travelling to Italy in August and ideally we would like to hire a car to take us from the airport to where we are staying. Unfortunately however we don't have a credit card. Is it possible to hire a car in Italy without a credit card? Or if not, is it possible to hire a car with a prepaid credit card?

I have found car rentals in via Tripadvisor in Greece and Portugal that do not need a CC. Scan the forums and comments for rental car companies in Italy and see can you find any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 pfxh

I want to renew my Irish passport which is close to expiry.
    However, a complication has arisen because I was born abroad although BOTH of my parents are Irish-born.
    Now, I have always been Irish and have never had any other passport than an Irish one.
    If I look on this site https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/ and specify that I was born abroad of two Irish-born parents and wish to RENEW my passport, the guide tells me that the only documents I need to include with my application are 4 photos and the old passport.
    However, in Section 3 (Citizenship) of the actual application form, Option B which refers to people "Born abroad to a parent born in Ireland", you are asked to "Please enclose original birth certificate and marriage certificate, if applicable, of the parent born in Ireland".
    Confusingly, on the last page of the Guidelines on How to Complete Your Form, which accompany the application form, the only document specified for those renewing their passport is the old passport.
    So, do I or do I not need to provide the original birth certificate of either of my Irish-born parents?
    I'm fairly certain that the need for the parent's birth certificate applies ONLY to those who have not previously held an Irish passport.
    However, this is certainly not clear from how Section 3, Option B is worded.
    Can anybody confirm that I do not require the birth certificate?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I think the key bit there is that you have to enclose the documents "if applicable".
    You have already proved your irish citizenship the last time, so you would think that the info is not needed

I remember a previous question coming up with regards to whether an irish born person needed to submit their birth cert (proving birth in Ireland) each time they renew and the answer was that they dont.
    (obviously only the passport office can answer this, but there doesnt seem to be any further info on the website)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pfxh

Thanks for your comments.
    Yes, perhaps your interpretation of "if applicable" is correct.
    However, I had originally understood this to mean that the birth certificate was obligatory but the marriage cert "only if applicable".
    Anyway, following your suggestion, I've emailed the Passport Office with this query so let's see what they reply (assuming they will actually reply).:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

If I go to a renewal appointment 7 days before my travel date and bring proof of travel etc., should I get my passport on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Poochie05

If they don't answer and you're not in a huge rush, why not send in the first 2 documents and if they need more they will contact you when it is being processed. That's a guaranteed way they will get in touch. At least you will get your application in to the system, rather than waiting for them to reply to an email query before applying. The application doesn't go back to the queue in this case, they process it quickly once they get the missing documentation, if required, from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just be aware that the Passport office is probably swamped with Northern applications !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

On Secret Flying atm Istanbul to Bangkok then Bangkok to London €218. Not for everyone as you'd have to get a Dublin Istanbul one way and then home from London on the way back. But the great thing is the ticket is open jaw and there are tons of dates available in November and December
    http://www.secretflying.com/2016/07/open-jaw-from-europe-to-bangkok-thailand-from-only-184-e219-roundtrip/

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

I'm travelling to America in a few months and whilst i have the chip sign on the front of my passport, it has wiped off and the last 2 times i've flown where you can use your passport with a chip on it for fast track passport control mine hasn't scanned either time. Should i apply for a new one or will it be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 renmorenewbie

My passport has expired.
    I have been asked, by my new employer, to make arrangements to travel at short notice on business to our parent plant on continent for Next Tuesday.

This is time sensitive as the parent plant takes holidays in July and the window of opportunity is next week or not at all! I cannot apply for an appointment unless a booking is made 48 hrs prior is there any way I can make an appointment and avail of the rapid service?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

pfxh wrote: »
    I want to renew my Irish passport which is close to expiry.
    However, a complication has arisen because I was born abroad although BOTH of my parents are Irish-born.
    Now, I have always been Irish and have never had any other passport than an Irish one.
    If I look on this site https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/ and specify that I was born abroad of two Irish-born parents and wish to RENEW my passport, the guide tells me that the only documents I need to include with my application are 4 photos and the old passport.
    However, in Section 3 (Citizenship) of the actual application form, Option B which refers to people "Born abroad to a parent born in Ireland", you are asked to "Please enclose original birth certificate and marriage certificate, if applicable, of the parent born in Ireland".
    Confusingly, on the last page of the Guidelines on How to Complete Your Form, which accompany the application form, the only document specified for those renewing their passport is the old passport.
    So, do I or do I not need to provide the original birth certificate of either of my Irish-born parents?
    I'm fairly certain that the need for the parent's birth certificate applies ONLY to those who have not previously held an Irish passport.
    However, this is certainly not clear from how Section 3, Option B is worded.
    Can anybody confirm that I do not require the birth certificate?
    Thanks

If you are an adult renewing you passport, you don't need to provide your parents docs, you only need to provide your previous passport (or a photocopy of the data page of your previous passport).

If you've lost your previous passport you would need to provide one of your parents docs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement