Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 roundone

So I've been checking the progress of my passport online. Eventually it moved from stage 2 to stage 3 last Thursday.
    I've just checked now and it's been updated today but back at stage 2! What is happening?! Anyone else had this happen? TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

roundone wrote: »
    So I've been checking the progress of my passport online. Eventually it moved from stage 2 to stage 3 last Thursday.
    I've just checked now and it's been updated today but back at stage 2! What is happening?! Anyone else had this happen? TIA

Means theyre re-checking documents. If your docs are all okay, you shouldn't be waiting too much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 roundone

Thanks I just checked again and it's back up to stage 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Has anyone ever used the groupon deals to Iceland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nope, but seeing as the thread is here, accor hotels are having a 30% off sale, which in itsself isnt massive, but it includes breakfast which for the likes of Novotel can be worth €40 to €60 for a couple per night on top of the saving on the accomodation.

They have 3,700 hotels on 5 continents so if you are needing a hotel they might well have something to suit, with free brekkie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cybil

Hi, can somebody plz explain, does irish passport holders dont require to queue at airports? Or they dont need their passports to be checked at airports? My friends says the officials just see they have irish passport, people dont need to get their passports get checked from inside, no photo checks from inside or any thing .. Plz explain wana gain knowledge because i think evey other person whatsever passport they own need to get it checked mot just by cover bt inside as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

Cobalt Airlines, prices look good for high season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

OSI wrote: »
    Of course Irish passports are checked at passport control.

Depends on what you mean by "checked".

Any time I've passed through Dublin airport with my Irish passport, I show the Garda my datapage and I get waived through without the passport being thoroughly inspected.

Irish citizens are not subject to immigration control on entering the Republic of Ireland, therefore the immigration people shouldn't be impeding your entrance into the State once they see it is an Irish passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fxotoole wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by "checked".

Any time I've passed through Dublin airport with my Irish passport, I show the Garda my datapage and I get waived through without the passport being thoroughly inspected.

Irish citizens are not subject to immigration control on entering the Republic of Ireland, therefore the immigration people shouldn't be impeding your entrance into the State once they see it is an Irish passport.

When the Gardai did it they would do a cursory check, some more thorough than others. However now it is civilians. Recently they have been more thorough then the Gardai.

I even had one a*shole stop me and ask me what happened to my passport. I explained just a little over used, not being smart that was the truth. He claimed it was damaged which it wasn't. He went on to say that 3 key elements of it were damaged. When I asked him to advise me what they were which I did 3 times he wouldn't answer me. Then gave me some BS about' it might do for Europe but good luck travelling elsewhere with it' and to get another passport... sarcastic p*ick of the highest order but the point is this new lot do seem to be taking more of a look..

At least the Guards were polite and friendly and you'd often get a 'welcome home' and 'thanks' from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any company online that you can send a jpeg passport pic to and they'll print it out on photo paper and post it to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Hello

I hope this is the right place to ask.

I'm travelling to Iceland in 3 weeks, but my passport expires on August 10. I've seen some places say my passport must be valid 3 months beyond my visit, but the Icelandic immigration website says anyone coming from a country in the eea must have a valid passport only beyond the duration of the visit.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

You should be alright even going to the states now the passport only has to be valid til your return date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Hello

I hope this is the right place to ask.

I'm travelling to Iceland in 3 weeks, but my passport expires on August 10. I've seen some places say my passport must be valid 3 months beyond my visit, but the Icelandic immigration website says anyone coming from a country in the eea must have a valid passport only beyond the duration of the visit.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I would have thought the Icelandic website would be more accurate than *some places* you have seen conflicting information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

We are flying to Ibiza Monday morning at 7am and have just discovered that our 3 year olds passport expires a couple of days before we return.

A few questions

Can a granny go to passport office in Dublin to queue for a passport while we are away and fed ex it over. Or must the child and her parents be there?

Anyone have ideas how we resolve the situation?

Will we get in to Spain with current passport and sort out passport from there?

She probably won't get in on a passport due to expire and even if she did, the new passport number wouldn't match the one entered for the flight so may be difficult getting home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

AlanD wrote: »
    We are flying to Ibiza Monday morning at 7am and have just discovered that our 3 year olds passport expires a couple of days before we return.

A few questions

Can a granny go to passport office in Dublin to queue for a passport while we are away and fed ex it over. Or must the child and her parents be there?

Anyone have ideas how we resolve the situation?

Will we get in to Spain with current passport and sort out passport from there?

Her granny will need her old passport in order to apply, however you'll have that in Ibiza with you.

If there are any issues with the passport pictures not being set right you won't be able replace them from Ibiza, the same with any issues with any documents.

Also, your passport needs to be valid for the duration of your stay as far as I know, which wouldn't be the case here..

She probably won't get in on a passport due to expire and even if she did, the new passport number wouldn't match the one entered for the flight so may be difficult getting home!

None of the flights booked required a passport number thankfully. Only needed on checkin which has not been done yet.

The Dept. of Foreign affairs website says that for Spain, your passport must be inforce for the time of the stay, but in our previous travels to Ibiza they never check your return date. Or they never appear to check that return date anyway. So, there's a good chance we could get in and then sort the homeward bound passport while there?

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Her granny will need her old passport in order to apply, however you'll have that in Ibiza with you.

If there are any issues with the passport pictures not being set right you won't be able replace them from Ibiza, the same with any issues with any documents.

Also, your passport needs to be valid for the duration of your stay as far as I know, which wouldn't be the case here..

We could FedEx the original passport home easily enough.

Ryanair helpdesk did say we would have no issue flying tomorrow. If only our flights were Monday evening we could get a passport office rapid renewal appointment.

None of the flights booked required a passport number thankfully. Only needed on checkin which has not been done yet.

The Dept. of Foreign affairs website says that for Spain, your passport must be inforce for the time of the stay, but in our previous travels to Ibiza they never check your return date. Or they never appear to check that return date anyway. So, there's a good chance we could get in and then sort the homeward bound passport while there?

There's no guarantee you'll get in, no guarantee you'll manage to FedEx the passport home with enough time to get it back, no guarantee granny will be allowed renew as she's not a legal guardian if both parents have the child... It doesn't seem likely that your idea will work at all tbh

• Advertisement

There's no guarantee you'll get in, no guarantee you'll manage to FedEx the passport home with enough time to get it back, no guarantee granny will be allowed renew as she's not a legal guardian if both parents have the child... It doesn't seem likely that your idea will work at all tbh

One option, assuming we get in to the country is that one of us fly to Madrid to replace her passport with the Irish Embassy there.

but the getting in part is the unknown. I am reluctant to take the word of Ryanair helpdesk, but you would think they have good experiential knowledge.

The wrong border agent on the day could scupper it all. But then if she is refused entry, we book a flight home for the expiry passport date

It's usually on check in that you put in your passport number, have you checked in yet?

One option, assuming we get in to the country is that one of us fly to Madrid to replace her passport with the Irish Embassy there.

but the getting in part is the unknown. I am reluctant to take the word of Ryanair helpdesk, but you would think they have good experiential knowledge.

The wrong border agent on the day could scupper it all. But then if she is refused entry, we book a flight home for the expiry passport date

She won't get a new passport through Madrid, only an emergency travel document, so you have the flight to Madrid, 24 hours there to get it sorted (a lot of ex pats in Madrid so turnaround can take that long), cost of that, cost flight back to Ibiza. And the in between costs (to and from airport, hotels etc).

Would it not be less hassle for you to reschedule the flight to Tuesday?

It's usually on check in that you put in your passport number, have you checked in yet?

Not yet. About to though.

For the flight out, it'll be valid. Flying a different airline on the way home.

One option we found for a 'lost' passport, presuming it could get lost while there, is getting an emergency travel certificate from the local Irish consulate. Anyone know if you need to travel to the consulate (closest is Mallorca) to get that document or will they ship it to you.

She won't get a new passport through Madrid, only an emergency travel document, so you have the flight to Madrid, 24 hours there to get it sorted (a lot of ex pats in Madrid so turnaround can take that long), cost of that, cost flight back to Ibiza. And the in between costs (to and from airport, hotels etc).

Would it not be less hassle for you to reschedule the flight to Tuesday?

To make things a little complicated, we are travelling home through London and so an emergency travel certificate won't cover that.

So you're saying you could have to stay over in Madrid? ok

Citizen's information website said that specifically.

It says - "If you have lost your passport and are travelling abroad on a multi-stop journey, where you will pass through more than one jurisdiction, you will require a new Irish passport. "

• Advertisement

Ok that's good so

However, the Dept. of Foreign Affairs website says - "You need a passport to enter Spain. While there is no minimum passport validity requirement, your passport must be valid for the planned period of your stay."

Which is a bit wishy washy....says there is no minimum but still needs to be valid for the stay, which is fair enough. I'm wondering is that checked on entry.

You are suggesting it is not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement