Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Just wondering if anyone could advise me what to do, travelling on the 1st of April, (Ryanair to London so need a passport). I lost my passport and applied for a new one on 11/3 the guy in the post office said it should be no problem, and he wrote on the package that I was travelling on the 1st. I contacted the passport office on twitter just to make sure and their response was:
    Hi, you'll have to contact us on the 29th of March again to see what can be done, unfortunately we can make no guarantees, please see passport turn around times below, https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/passport-express/current-turnaround-times/

I can't help but think the 29th is leaving it a bit tight. Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could advise me what to do, travelling on the 1st of April, (Ryanair to London so need a passport). I lost my passport and applied for a new one on 11/3 the guy in the post office said it should be no problem, and he wrote on the package that I was travelling on the 1st. I contacted the passport office on twitter just to make sure and their response was:

I can't help but think the 29th is leaving it a bit tight. Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated?

The guy in the post office was nuts telling you that would be fine, turnaround for lost passports is 20 working days, which is 4 and a half weeks because of the three bank holidays this month.

Generally they'll fast track it if you contact them closer to the time. I'd suggest dropping into them with proof of travel 10 working days before you travel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So the new passport comes back, but has a note with it saying that it is not signed so therefore need to immediately be signed on page 3 in the space provided.

You are surely not meant to be signing on the plasticised page, and what would you even be signing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

robinph wrote: »
    So the new passport comes back, but has a note with it saying that it is not signed so therefore need to immediately be signed on page 3 in the space provided.

You are surely not meant to be signing on the plasticised page, and what would you even be signing with?

It's the page opposite the photo page and it's not plasticised and can be signed with a biro or fountain pen and most everything in between!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Unfortunately that is the only time staff can actually try and do something. If your application is done any earlier it wouldn't be fair to all the other people whose passports have been in the system for longer than yours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Marcusm wrote: »
    It's the page opposite the photo page and it's not plasticised and can be signed with a biro or fountain pen and most everything in between!
    Mr.S wrote: »
    There is a clear space that says signature on the paper (non laminated) page :confused:

New Irish passports don't have the signature attached as before.

Ahh, I can see that now. Thanks.

I wouldn't have called that page number 3 though.

Just hit stage 5, yes! Delighted I'll have it on time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jezmelda

Quick question

I applied for my new passport (old one was damaged) on 27/2/16 received on the 1/3/16, am due to fly with Ryanair on Easter Sunday (27/3/16), on passport tracking it says my issue date is tomorrow the 22nd but its still only in phase 2, just wondering if I ring to setup an appointment could I collect it??. Any help would be appreciated

jezmelda wrote: »
    Quick question

I applied for my new passport (old one was damaged) on 27/2/16 received on the 1/3/16, am due to fly with Ryanair on Easter Sunday (27/3/16), on passport tracking it says my issue date is tomorrow the 22nd but its still only in phase 2, just wondering if I ring to setup an appointment could I collect it??. Any help would be appreciated

They won't allow you to set up an appointment, but you can walk in.

Alternatively you can tweet them, I did and it sped up soon after.

I'd tweet them today anyway because Friday isn't a working day, so you've basically got 3 days in which to receive it.

Edit: Mine has gone to stage 6. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jezmelda

They won't allow you to set up an appointment, but you can walk in.

Alternatively you can tweet them, I did and it sped up soon after.

I'd tweet them today anyway because Friday isn't a working day, so you've basically got 3 days in which to receive it.

Edit: Mine has gone to stage 6. Delighted!

Finished work a little early today, so flew into their offices just there. Told me its due to be sent from balbriggan tonight or tomorrow, so hopefully no later than Wednesday, also have someone keeping an eye out in my local sorting office. So not panicking as much now 😋, cheers anyhow

• Advertisement

Received mine this morning. One month and three days from sending it in to receiving it, with a small prodding on Twitter.

Happy now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Got my passport today. It was a renewal with a name change. 12 working days from when they received it. Can't complain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

Is there much difference in the procedure/hassle for renewing a passport before it expires versus after it expires? It expires in early April - i'm not travelling anytime soon though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

Alright thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Boognish wrote: »
    Is there much difference in the procedure/hassle for renewing a passport before it expires versus after it expires? It expires in early April - i'm not travelling anytime soon though

It makes no difference at all. Anyone can renew their passport anytime they want.

So the folks at the passport office and on twitter were really helpful and my passport has been posted. However! it's not showing up on the anpost.ie tracking. Due to fly early on Friday morning so need to find it in the An Post system somewhere tomorrow. Any suggestions?

So the folks at the passport office and on twitter were really helpful and my passport has been posted. However! it's not showing up on the anpost.ie tracking. Due to fly early on Friday morning so need to find it in the An Post system somewhere tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Mine didn't show on tracking, but arrived the morning after it went to stage 6. You should have it in the morning.

Mine didn't show on tracking, but arrived the morning after it went to stage 6. You should have it in the morning.

Fantastic! Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Got this in an email from a travel agent - I presume it is on all recent passports...

"U.S. Embassy in Ireland wishes to remind all Irish passport holders who are able to travel to the United States via the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) that as of 01 April 2016, they must have a valid electronic passport"

passport_symbol.png

U.S. Embassy Dublin
    Office of Public Affairs

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    March 29, 2016

The U.S. Embassy in Ireland wishes to remind all Irish passport holders who are able to travel to the United States via the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) that as of 01 April 2016, they must have a valid electronic passport. This rule applies even to those who possess a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). The U.S. Embassy strongly recommends that all travelers check to ensure their passports are valid electronic passports before they make arrangements to travel to the United States on the Visa Waiver Program.

You can check if your passport is valid for travel under the VWP by carefully reading the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Any traveler who does not have a valid electronic passport is still eligible to travel to the United States with a valid nonimmigrant visa issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate. Such travelers will be required to appear for an interview and obtain a visa in their passports at a U.S. embassy or consulate before traveling to the United States. If you do not have imminent travel plans, you should pay the nonimmigrant visa application fee, fill out the DS-160 nonimmigrant visa application form and schedule a visa appointment. If your travel is imminent and urgent in nature, you may request an expedited visa appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Patricia25

Why would a passport not be processed? And do I have to pay again because it wasn't processed? Need it for june

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭murtyd17

A quick query that if anyone has any advice on that would be great

I am applying for a passport for a baby. Travelling to Spain on April 22nd (in 16 working days)

Given the current turn around times am I better off applying through Passport Express and then seeing if they can speed up the process. or should I make an appointment (earliest is next Thursday) and try to get it that way

Any advice would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anotherq

So for example if your passport has not expired and was issued in June 2006 you are okay right up to October 2006. See below...

This is from dhs.gov/e-passports link

U.S. e-Passport Requirements

The United States requires that travelers entering the United States under the Visa Waiver Program have an e-Passport if their passport was issued on or after October 26, 2006. Additional information on VWP e-Passport requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

anotherq wrote: »
    So for example if your passport has not expired and was issued in June 2006 you are okay right up to October 2006. See below...

This is from dhs.gov/e-passports link

U.S. e-Passport Requirements

The United States requires that travelers entering the United States under the Visa Waiver Program have an e-Passport if their passport was issued on or after October 26, 2006. Additional information on VWP e-Passport requirements.

No, my understanding is that your passport is not ok.

If it is not an electronic passport you need to either go interview in the embassy or apply for a new passport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

http://www.newstalk.com/New-US-travel-visa-rules-come-into-effect-from-today

I haven't seen a thread on this, but just thought I'd put it up in case anyone needs to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Paidi28

Hey I hope this is the right place to put this. I need advice regards a bit of a situation I'm in. I'm in Marseilles France doing a Erasmus placement, my passport expired last month and I have been trying to get it renewed from here though the embassy. I just received news that my grandmother has passed away in England. Is there any emergency way I can travel ? I know there are certificates but how long does it take ? The embassy is in in Paris which is the other side of the country. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Has anyone applied for and received their passports recently via passport express? Just wondering how long it took?

I filled out the application in black ink but signed in blue. I then went over the signature again in black? Will this be ok?

• Advertisement

cocoman wrote: »
    Has anyone applied for and received their passports recently via passport express? Just wondering how long it took?

I filled out the application in black ink but signed in blue. I then went over the signature again in black? Will this be ok?

Signature should be fine.

Got my passport a few weeks ago, it took 20 working days, but turnaround times have increased since I applied

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement