Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

gerbaby wrote: »
    Application Number Entered: 1xxxxxxx
    Target Issue Date: 02/03/2015
    Website Last Updated: 28/02/2015 at 18:45

I am flying on Thursday.. are issue dates being maintained correctly at the moment..

Help in getting passport on time greatly appreciated

Thanks

You'll probably have it on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gerbaby

Thanks John, I will sleep a bit easier tonight.. Appreciate the quick response.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gerard98

Hi guys I have a school trip to Normandy on the 28th of March I thought my dad sent in the forms for me over summer but he did not unfortunately. Should I go with passport express or get an appointment ?
    I got recommended by my friend to the go for an appointment as he was in the same problem. Also I am a first time applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

dingding wrote: »
    I told the post office when I was getting the passport express and she said I would be fine.

I also received an email from their passport reminder service lately.

It says it offers a 10 day guaranteed service. Had they made it clearer I could have gone in person. Looks like I have to pay for at least two other peoples mistake. The person who designed the website and the person in the post office.

You may renew your passport through various channels including:

* by express post at more than 1,000 post offices across Ireland (this service offers a guaranteed ten working day service for applications that are complete and in order)
    * in person at the passport offices in Dublin or Cork
    * for persons resident outside Ireland, through the nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate.

Apologies, the text of the reminder service email is outdated and should be changed, in that case. In fairness, all the other Passport Office literature does say that the turnaround times depend on the volume and staffing resources at any given time. It even says it on the application form guidance notes.

Since Passport Express was introduced, staff numbers in the Passport Service have been reduced through retirements, promotions, people moving on, etc. These people haven't been replaced as there is a drive to reduced public service staff numbers.

There is also greater demand on the service - they are currently up 30% on volume compared to this time last year.

It is no longer possible to stick to the 10 day guarantee under such conditions.

With regard to An Post, I just checked their website and they also appear to be very careful not to mention the word "guarantee".

The quickest way of getting a passport is still getting an appointment at the Cork or Molesworth Street public offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

fxotoole wrote: »
    Apologies, the text of the reminder service email is outdated and should be changed, in that case. In fairness, all the other Passport Office literature does say that the turnaround times depend on the volume and staffing resources at any given time. It even says it on the application form guidance notes.

Since Passport Express was introduced, staff numbers in the Passport Service have been reduced through retirements, promotions, people moving on, etc. These people haven't been replaced as there is a drive to reduced public service staff numbers.

There is also greater demand on the service - they are currently up 30% on volume compared to this time last year.

It is no longer possible to stick to the 10 day guarantee under such conditions.

With regard to An Post, I just checked their website and they also appear to be very careful not to mention the word "guarantee".

The quickest way of getting a passport is still getting an appointment at the Cork or Molesworth Street public offices.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Speed/Passport+Express/

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/GeneralTemplates/ProductsAndServices.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={F737A612-56A8-4370-92A7-5024B2136F9E}&NRORIGINALURL=%2fAnPost%2fMainContent%2fPersonal%2bCustomers%2fSending%2bMail%2fSpeed%2fPassport%2bExpress%2f&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#termsandconditions

Also an posts terms and conditions talk about a ten day service with adds in the national press if the 10 day turnaround is not currently in operation. I wonder has the necessary newspaper ads being placed or is an post in breach of its terms and conditions.

While it does not use the word guarantee it mentions in a couple of places that you will have your passport in 10 working days.

I think the communication of the whole thing is shoddy. There is a clearly misleading email and information from the passport office. Combined with the information I received from the post mistress. Had I known I would not have used the service.

While they might have watered down the guarantee part they still give the expectation that the passport would be back to me with on 10 days.

My impression was that the passports through on post were expediated through a two track system to deliver the 10 day service, however it appears that they are just put in the back of the queue.

Anyway the bottom line is that I am out 145 euro because of all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Travelling Tomorrow

Travelling tomorrow and cannot find my passport after house move. What are the chances of getting a passport issued before 12.30pm tomorrown to fly at 2.15pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Big Cheese wrote: »
    Travelling tomorrow and cannot find my passport after house move. What are the chances of getting a passport issued before 12.30pm tomorrown to fly at 2.15pm?

Nil to non existant, appointments tomorrow will have been booked since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

dingding wrote: »
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Speed/Passport+Express/

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/GeneralTemplates/ProductsAndServices.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={F737A612-56A8-4370-92A7-5024B2136F9E}&NRORIGINALURL=%2fAnPost%2fMainContent%2fPersonal%2bCustomers%2fSending%2bMail%2fSpeed%2fPassport%2bExpress%2f&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#termsandconditions

Also an posts terms and conditions talk about a ten day service with adds in the national press if the 10 day turnaround is not currently in operation. I wonder has the necessary newspaper ads being placed or is an post in breach of its terms and conditions.

While it does not use the word guarantee it mentions in a couple of places that you will have your passport in 10 working days.

I think the communication of the whole thing is shoddy. There is a clearly misleading email and information from the passport office. Combined with the information I received from the post mistress. Had I known I would not have used the service.

While they might have watered down the guarantee part they still give the expectation that the passport would be back to me with on 10 days.

My impression was that the passports through on post were expediated through a two track system to deliver the 10 day service, however it appears that they are just put in the back of the queue.

Anyway the bottom line is that I am out 145 euro because of all of this.

Agreed on outdated information in some areas, which is annoying to all.
    As far as postmistresses go; they should do what they are asked to do: put your documents in an envelope, take the money for it and post it! They are not trained by the passport office to give advice, and in many cases they give incorrect advice.
    The website www.passport.ie has improved in recent years and actually gives you all information you need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

I'm due to travel Thursday night coming and I applied for a replacement passport the week before last. It was within the 10 working days so I submitted it through passport express at the post office. I checked it through the tracker online and it says it will be ready long after I'm due to fly out.

Is there any way to get it fast tracked after it has been submitted since I have flights booked and everything?

I intend to ring them tomorrow and see what they can do but hopefully someone here can put my mind at ease in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

Is there any way to get an application fast tracked after it has already been submitted? I have proof of travel this Thursday. I wasn't aware the current wait was 15 days when I submitted the app and would have otherwise gone straight to the HQ.

Any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

This post has been deleted.

It was already stamped and signed in Spain and also translated on the back- will that do??
    Need to get it sent off today if possible! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

It says on the back it's a registered seal- why would that stamp/seal not do?

Appreciate your help-when I emailed the passport office about whether I needed an original or certified copy there was no mention of it needing to be stamped (but it is)but just that it would need to be translated.

Thanks.

Documents from countries outside of Ireland need to be authenticated before they can be used for official purposes here.

The most usual way this is done is by having an Apostille applied by the government of the country concerned. This is something that is governed by the Hague Convention. Signatories to the convention agree to accept each others documents once certain conditions are met.

The seals that are already on your document are likely to be local seals, which the Irish government has no way of knowing if they are real and for what reason they are there for. The Spanish embassy in Ireland can apply the Apostille to the document which certifies the document is genuine and it is what it purports to be. The Irish government will accept the Apostille under the Hague Convention and will then allow the document be used for an official purpose here.

While this is true, the issue seems to be more the fact that the document is not translated into English, rather than the fact that it's not Apostilled.

Thanks for all the info there Fred Swanson

walshyn93 wrote: »
    Is there any way to get an application fast tracked after it has already been submitted? I have proof of travel this Thursday. I wasn't aware the current wait was 15 days when I submitted the app and would have otherwise gone straight to the HQ.

Any chance?

You will need to get a hold of someone by phone, e-mail or pigeon. Once they know of you travelling and your application is on or after it's prospecte issue date, their Customer Care section will try and move it for you.

Sorry for annoying ye about my query again..

On Saturday, the status was down as approved on the 28th Feb, yesterday it said approved 1st March ... now look what it is saying... I am flying on Thursday... when should it go to printing and postage stage.. or is the website not updating correctly..

Application Number Entered: 1xxxxxxxxx
    Website Last Updated: 02/03/2015 at 13:45

Should I be worried at this point??

• Advertisement

Malee wrote: »
    You will need to get a hold of someone by phone, e-mail or pigeon. Once they know of you travelling and your application is on or after it's prospecte issue date, their Customer Care section will try and move it for you.

Tried this to no avail. Even if it was after the 10 days for passport express.

fxotoole wrote: »

When you ring the passport office, their recorded message talks about using passport express and their commitment to a 10 day turnaround. So the passport have wrong information on their phone system and their email reminder system.

No, that is the problem. I would allow at least 3 weeks at a minimum.

Details on the current turnaround here.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/passport-express/current-turnaround-times/

For the week ending 25 February 2015, Passport Express services is taking on average 14/15 working days to process. Delays in the delivery of these services therefore still remain since the last update. The Passport Office wishes to apologise for this. Measures including the recruitment of temporary staff are being used to improve service turnaround periods and clear any arrears.

And that is for a replacement of an existing passport, I think a new passport or replacement for a stolen passport will take longer.

gerbaby wrote: »
    Sorry for annoying ye about my query again..

On Saturday, the status was down as approved on the 28th Feb, yesterday it said approved 1st March ... now look what it is saying... I am flying on Thursday... when should it go to printing and postage stage.. or is the website not updating correctly..

Application Number Entered: 1xxxxxxxxx
    Website Last Updated: 02/03/2015 at 13:45

Should I be worried at this point??

If the passport has been posted the site will update with a Track&Trace number for An Post. Is that there? The format is PP[numbers]IE. Maybe check tomorrow morning, usually An Post starts tracking at 6 AM appx. If nothing on then it wasn't posted yet, and then I would suggest biting the bullet and hang on the phone until you get to speak to someone.

Just checked there now - my passport is still only in approved status..there is no Track & Trace number yet - I will check again in the morning and then if nothing I will call them... Thanks for your help...

Stress... !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

If I had to be on the phone all day I'd never get anything done. I rang a guy yesterday and he kept me on the line for 15 minutes dithering over whether or not he would call to the office to pick up his passport. In the time I was on the phone to him I could have approved 2 passport applications.

15 minutes is too long to be kept on the phone given the workload there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Greekwife

Passport Tracker now says "Passport is Printed" with the Issue Date still 04/03/15 for both Passports. When should I expect to have them ?

Greekwife wrote: »
    Passport Tracker now says "Passport is Printed" with the Issue Date still 04/03/15 for both Passports. When should I expect to have them ?

If you're based in the Republic, you'll have the next working day after it's collected by an post.

If you're based in Northern Ireland you'll have it within 2 working days of it being collected by an post.

athtrasna wrote:
    Nil to non existant, appointments tomorrow will have been booked since last week.

Managed to get passport for 12.30 after appointment at 9.40. Lucky I didn't give up on it, which is what crossed my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 EDEB1305

Hi, my application was received on the 18th of Feb. with a target issue date of the 10th march. I'm flying on the 13th. Any idea on when I should get it it. If I had to collect it, it would be no problem.
    Should I book an appointment for next week now??
    Thanks in advance!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement