Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

HELM wrote: »
    Would really appreciate some advise please.
    Planning to travel on 14/03/25, Saturday week.
    Realised passport was out of date so submitted application through Passport Express. It was received on 24/02/15 and current issue date is 16/03/15, so too late!
    I didn't realise when submitting that the current turn around time is 15 days, rather than the advertised 10.
    Anyway my dilemma now is that my application is submitted but is there any way I can fast track it.
    I rang the office and finally got speaking to someone today who said there was no way.
    So my question, is it worth my while taking a day off work to go camp out in the office on Molesworth street, when from what I understand my documentation is in the office in Balbriggan?
    Any advise would be great.
    Thanks, Helen

No chance as they won't let you lodge a second application.
    I would suggest to wait until a bit closer to the date (say midweek next week) and then ring again. There's a chance they will do it then, but unfortunately there's no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

Hi,
    I applied to renew my passport via passport express on 23/02/2015. I am travelling to France on Ryan Air on the 14th March.
    Appears my passport will not be ready until 16th. When I found out I contacted Molesworth Street , they told me to email my itinerary. I did that but have heard nothing since , my passport is still at the registered phase. The last few days they have not been taking calls only emails. What else can I do.?

Hi,
    I applied to renew my passport via passport express on 23/02/2015. I am travelling to France on Ryan Air on the 14th March.
    Appears my passport will not be ready until 16th. When I found out I contacted Molesworth Street , they told me to email my itinerary. I did that but have heard nothing since , my passport is still at the registered phase. The last few days they have not been taking calls only emails. What else can I do.?

They won't move it until closer to the date, usually appx 2 days before travel. There's just enough time left then for posting or collecting your passport.
    There are probably thousands of applications ahead of yours, and it wouldn't be exactly fair to all other people if they would give you a 5 day turnaround just because you are travelling (and booked your tickets without a valid passport).
    Contact them again closer to your travel date.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tc1234

I recently changed my name by deed poll and had it enrolled it in the high court. I changed it on my drivers licence, PPSN, revenue, banks etc.

I have proof of using it for 3 months, do I really have to wait 2 years to change it on my passport, is this rule set in stone and is there anyway around it ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Tc1234 wrote: »
    I recently changed my name by deed poll and had it enrolled it in the high court. I changed it on my drivers licence, PPSN, revenue, banks etc.

I have proof of using it for 3 months, do I really have to wait 2 years to change it on my passport, is this rule set in stone and is there anyway around it ?

Thanks

There's no way around it. Deed poll doesn't matter when it comes to passports. Proof of usage is stop people changing their names whenever they feel like it. They ask for 2 years proof of usage so they can satisfy themselves that your new identity has been established.

There's no way around it. Deed poll doesn't matter when it comes to passports. Proof of usage is stop people changing their names whenever they feel like it. They ask for 2 years proof of usage so they can satisfy themselves that your new identity has been established.

I understand that but 2 years is a long time I travel a lot and its awkward having my only name on one thing and current name on everything else.

I heard some people getting their new name entered as an observation ?

I understand that but 2 years is a long time I travel a lot and its awkward having my only name on one thing and current name on everything else.

I heard some people getting their new name entered as an observation ?

Generally, observations are for birth cert names. Observations like also known as aren't given anymore.

Really ? I just changed my last name so it doesn't look like I'm trying to change my identity.

How did you get it done, did you just ask them to put: formerly known as X

• Advertisement

Really ? I just changed my last name so it doesn't look like I'm trying to change my identity.

How did you get it done, did you just ask them to put: formerly known as X

There is a box you can tick on the application form, in section 2. It says something like:"If you also want to have your birth name recorded". When you tick that and also post in your original birth cert you'll get the observation.
    But that does not solve the fact that you will need 2 years proof of use of your new name...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sebbplatter

Can an O.A.P travel between Ireland and the UK without a passport with Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Can an O.A.P travel between Ireland and the UK without a passport with Aer Lingus?

Anyone can. Aer Lingus will take photo ID in lieu of a passport for flights between Ireland and the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Does anyone have any indication if the targeted issue date for passport express given on the tracker is when I should physically have the passport or if it is being posted? Because I'm getting the 31st of March and I'm travelling to Amsterdam on the 3rd so I'm quite worried now.

It was registered on the 10th and is for a new passport as I lost my old one. I guess the 15 working days period given works out at me having it on the 31st but I'm thinking do these things normally fall over or under the target date?

I'm sorry in advance, I know these questions must get asked a bomb load and there is no specific correct answer but any decent indications from previous experience would be very much appreciated! :)

I'm flying with Aer Lingus but my only photo ID is my age card which the passport office now have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Does anyone have any indication if the targeted issue date for passport express given on the tracker is when I should physically have the passport or if it is being posted? Because I'm getting the 31st of March and I'm travelling to Amsterdam on the 3rd so I'm quite worried now.

It was registered on the 10th and is for a new passport as I lost my old one. I guess the 15 working days period given works out at me having it on the 31st but I'm thinking do these things normally fall over or under the target date?

I'm sorry in advance, I know these questions must get asked a bomb load and there is no specific correct answer but any decent indications from previous experience would be very much appreciated! :)

I'm flying with Aer Lingus but my only photo ID is my age card which the passport office now have.

The target issue date is not a guaranteed date, it's the date on which the Passport Office aim to issue your passport.

It really depends on when you applied, how you applied, and from where you applied, and what type of application you submitted.

Passport Express applications are currently taking 10-14 working days on average, with renewals taking about 10/11 working days on average.

If this is your first passport application, or your previous passport was lost or stolen, it will likely take longer than 15 days.

If the worst comes to the worst, you can ask the Passport Office to return your photo ID to allow you to travel while they process your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

fxotoole wrote: »

If the worst comes to the worst, you can ask the Passport Office to return your photo ID to allow you to travel while they process your application.

Poster is going to Amsterdam so requires a passport

If it was registered on the 10th there's a good chance you'll have your passport before you travel, but this is provided you have submitted all requested documentation relating to a lost passport. If anything is incorrect with your application all will be returned to you and then you'd need some quick action to remedy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Hi, Im travelling to Paris on Sunday, my 5 year old childs passport is out of date since Nov 2014, will French customs let him in with both parents accompanying him with his long birth cert? I know this is allowed for the UK, but not sure for France. Any help much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Hi, Im travelling to Paris on Sunday, my 5 year old childs passport is out of date since Nov 2014, will French customs let him in with both parents accompanying him with his long birth cert? I know this is allowed for the UK, but not sure for France. Any help much appreciated.

No, probably not. Irish people can use their birth certs travelling to the UK because there is a common travel area between the 2 countries. This isn't the case with France.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Called the French embassy today but office is closed since 12. Kinda thought that he would need the Passport but just said Id ask here to verify. Thanks for your replies folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Hi,
    I'm supposed to be going to London just for a night to attend a get together for a friends birthday on the 29th of March.
    This was only sprung on me at the last minute, and unfortunately my passport has been out of date since January 2014. (failing to renew since then is entirely my own fault, so I expect little sympathy!)

I had planned to take the ferry/eurolines coach, for which I'd wrongly(?) believed no ID would be necessary.

Ok, so the problem is, I have no other official form of ID.

I don't drive and my college ID is only college issued and not an international student card. I have a garda Age Card though, but it is 10+ years old.
    Would a long birth cert + expired passport combo be of any use?
    A completed and garda stamped passport application?

I've read that you can book an appointment at the passport office, and supply them with travel itinerary, but I've yet to buy a coach ticket and was wondering if it would be even worth my while to do so at such a late stage..

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi,
    I'm supposed to be going to London just for a night to attend a get together for a friends birthday on the 29th of March.
    This was only sprung on me at the last minute, and unfortunately my passport has been out of date since January 2014. (failing to renew since then is entirely my own fault, so I expect little sympathy!)

I had planned to take the ferry/eurolines coach, for which I'd wrongly(?) believed no ID would be necessary.

I don't drive and my college ID is only college issued and not an international student card. I have a garda Age Card though, but it is 10+ years old.

I've read that you can book an appointment at the passport office, and supply them with travel itinerary, but I've yet to buy a coach ticket and was wondering if it would be even worth my while to do so at such a late stage..

Thoughts?

The only carrier to the UK that demands a passport is Ryanair

Hi,

Thoughts?

You can take the ferry with your birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

You can take the ferry with your birth cert.

Really?!? Great if so!
    I couldn't find much info on that besides it being said that young children could use it.
    Have you known anybody to do it?

My only concern now is whether I'd have any issue boarding a coach in London using it :pac:

Really?!? Great if so!
    I couldn't find much info on that besides it being said that young children could use it.

My only concern now is whether I'd have any issue boarding a coach in London using it :pac:

Ya, you can use a birth cert for the ferry. There is a common travel area between Ireland and the UK. I have come across one case of one person using their birth cert. I doubt you'll even be asked for anything.

Really?!? Great if so!

You'd best check with the company you are travelling with.
    Stena Line requires this:
    http://www.stenaline.ie/FAQs/passports-and-visas/im-a-irish-british-citizen-do-i-need-a-passport-to-travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 joleen100

Hoping someone can advise.

After arriving home from Garda Station I noticed that 3 of the photos where smudged with ink from the stamp (front of the photos). I rang the Garda Station straight away and he was really nice about it and said that 1 good photo should be fine as the passport office will ring the station to confirm if they have any doubts. Can anyone tell me if the passport office will accept this?

The Garda did say say to come straight back with new photos and he will redo etc. But it was late and the kids were in bed. He told me when he was on duty next and said to come to station and he even thought he won't be at the desk they would call him and he can come in to redo again. I am going to try to this but understand it may not be easy. I know the easiest option would be to redo the form again but the passport is for my child and as I am not on good terms with my ex it is very difficult to get him to agree to go to the station in the first place never mind a 2nd time :(

Tried calling and e-mailing the passport office but no response (yet).

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks J :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement