Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Microchips can be cloned, they are not a secure form of identification.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from July on you can order a passport card, with chip, which is about as good as you'll get.

passports (which are essentially an oversized laminated ID card with a dozen paper pages for visas that many of us never use despite making very regular international trips) are clunky and cumbersome - which means you abandon it at the first possible attempt into a corner of a bag or cupboard or whatever which leaves it open to being lost or stolen.

With a card, despite it bring smaller (so arguably more losable) you just keep it in the wallet when on your travels, so as long as you dont loose the wallet you dont loose your id to get back home.

grand, it doesnt work outside of the EU (/EEA) - but what % of travels are

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sm171

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Why on earth does no one there pick up the bloody phones? I'm moving country this week and still no passport, I've been waiting ages!

Hi Vinta81. I called them yesterday and stayed on for about 40 minutes. EVENTUALLY they picked up! Weren't very helpful though. My applic still just says "received and registered on 23/01" too and I'm traveling on business next week. She just took my phone no. Its supposed to be processed today apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

sm171 wrote: »
    Hi Vinta81. I called them yesterday and stayed on for about 40 minutes. EVENTUALLY they picked up! Weren't very helpful though. My applic still just says "received and registered on 23/01" too and I'm traveling on business next week. She just took my phone no. Its supposed to be processed today apparently.

Which would make it 10 working days turnaround.

The applications generally go from registered - ready in a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sm171

AGC wrote: »
    Which would make it 10 working days turnaround.

The applications generally go from registered - ready in a couple of days

Helpful AGC as I cant count. Thanks.

• Advertisement

sm171 wrote: »
    Helpful AGC as I cant count. Thanks.

What did you expect them to tell you?

You don't have to read too much on here to realise the online tracking is quite pointless.

The current turnaround time is 10-13 days so there is not much they could have done. They won't take a chance on saying it will definitely be out to you in case something comes up at the checking stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dubliniensis

My passport renewal by Passport Express was received on 22nd January and has just been approved according to the tracking website.

The estimated turnaround time when I submitted it was 10 days. The passport office website are saying it's 15 days currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Wasn't there a massive Citizenship ceremony or something last week (or the week before)? Usually after them there's a massive uptick in passport applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a massive Citizenship ceremony or something last week (or the week before)? Usually after them there's a massive uptick in passport applications.

Yes there was. Citizenship ceremonies cause havoc in the passport offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The real Gerry

Hey guys I have to get my first passport for a school trip that is on during Easter the problem is I have been sick for the last 3 weeks and I put off sending away the forms before that, so my question is would I get it back on time if I sent in the forms this week or would it be possible to go in to the offices and get it done on the day (I wouldn't mind waiting longer or paying extra for it.)?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hey guys I have to get my first passport for a school trip that is on during Easter the problem is I have been sick for the last 3 weeks and I put off sending away the forms before that, so my question is would I get it back on time if I sent in the forms this week or would it be possible to go in to the offices and get it done on the day (I wouldn't mind waiting longer or paying extra for it.)?

Thanks in advance

You can't get an appointment as your travel is too far in the future and it's a first passport. You need to make sure your form is correctly completed and that you have all the info and documents and send it off asap

Thanks in advance

First time applicant, get your forms in ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The real Gerry

Just to be safe would I get it back before Easter if i sent it in this week.
    Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Just to be safe would I get it back before Easter if i sent it in this week.
    Thanks in advance

Send it in sooner rather than later. You're giving yourself more time to sort out any problems if they arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bradley2k14

and yesterday (13 working days later) i checked to the tracker and it said ----> "This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you. If you have not received this within two days, please contact An Post at".

The thing is am going to holland on the 3rd of march so that give's me 11 working days to recieve and fix whatever the reason its been sent back ffs!

from reading this thread ringing them isnt going to be much good so whats the story with making a appointment iv got no ID and its my first passport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

and yesterday (13 working days later) i checked to the tracker and it said ----> "This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you. If you have not received this within two days, please contact An Post at".

The thing is am going to holland on the 3rd of march so that give's me 11 working days to recieve and fix whatever the reason its been sent back ffs!

from reading this thread ringing them isnt going to be much good so whats the story with making a appointment iv got no ID and its my first passport

Once you receive the letter and resolve whatever issue it is, make an appointment and (assuming everything is in order) you ought to have your passport before you travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bradley2k14

they have sent it back because there saying i need additional ID (I HAVE NO OTHER FORM OF ID) and they want more payslip's in my case dole reciepts i sent them two and a letter from the jobs club..like wtf!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭howtolive

Hi,

Anyone any idea on turnaround times from the end of January? Received and registered on the 27th Jan but absolutely no movement since. Reading here with people saying it took 10/13 days when submitted a few days before me makes me wonder if I should have heard something yesterday/today. Tried ringing yesterday but they aren't taking calls.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

they have sent it back because there saying i need additional ID (I HAVE NO OTHER FORM OF ID) and they want more payslip's in my case dole reciepts i sent them two and a letter from the jobs club..like wtf!!!

Have you sent in your birth cert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭howtolive

howtolive wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone any idea on turnaround times from the end of January? Received and registered on the 27th Jan but absolutely no movement since. Reading here with people saying it took 10/13 days when submitted a few days before me makes me wonder if I should have heard something yesterday/today. Tried ringing yesterday but they aren't taking calls.

Thanks!

Just as I typed that it went to being checked, sorry all!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Miaireland wrote: »
    Have you sent in your birth cert?

All first time applications from people over 18 now need to be accompanied by more documents than just a birth certificate.
    They also want to see a photo ID (age card, driving licence etc) and two bills or bank statements, pay slips and the like, from different sources.

Considering the turn-around time looks like it is 13 working days my guess is that the phones and e-mails are red hot from everybody contacting them for information about their passports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Might be going to London in June and just found out my old passport expired,i know you don't strictly need one at all for UK travel so i was wondering if a public services card is good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    Might be going to London in June and just found out my old passport expired,i know you don't strictly need one at all for UK travel so i was wondering if a public services card is good enough.

Photo id will work for airlines other than Ryanair. For Ryanair you MUST have a passport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

So peed off. I sent an passport application for my daughter away 3 and a half weeks ago on 10 day passport express. I sent all the relevant documents with it- birth certs, my passport, photos etc. I know it's not a straightforward application but why advertise 10 days if it's not going to take that long. I tracked the application online and it just said 'application received'. I've been ringing all of last week and the same voice message comes on, no matter what time of the day you ring. The same thing happened this morning.

We're going away next month and I need to her passport number to book the flight. The flight has gone up €100 since 3.5 weeks ago.

So peed off. I sent an passport application for my daughter away 3 and a half weeks ago on 10 day passport express. I sent all the relevant documents with it- birth certs, my passport, photos etc. I know it's not a straightforward application but why advertise 10 days if it's not going to take that long. I tracked the application online and it just said 'application received'. I've been ringing all of last week and the same voice message comes on, no matter what time of the day you ring. The same thing happened this morning.

We're going away next month and I need to her passport number to book the flight. The flight has gone up €100 since 3.5 weeks ago.

Is it a renewal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Are you sure you need her passport number for booking the flight? With most airlines it's only at check-in time that the passport number is required.

Are you sure you need her passport number for booking the flight? With most airlines it's only at check-in time that the passport number is required.

Sorry I never verified this and I'm not 100% sure about this? I just asked my friend who flies frequently to Boston with her children and she said she needed the passport number to book flights for them.

Is it a renewal?

No, it's her first passport but it's not a straightforward application.

• Advertisement

Sorry I never verified this and I'm not 100% sure about this? I just asked my friend who flies frequently to Boston with her children and she said she needed the passport number to book flights for them.

You don't.

You will only need it when applying for an ESTA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement