Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

No, it's her first passport but it's not a straightforward application.

10 working days is only for renewing applicants. First timers take about 20 working days. Could take longer if parents are not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

And it also takes longer than usual for applications which are not straightforward, which you've said it is.

AGC wrote: »
    You don't.

You will only need it when applying for an ESTA

I can confirm this. I will be flying via the States and wasn't asked for my passport number when I booked the flights.

That's not to say that some airlines / travel agencies might ask for your passport number when making a booking though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Aer Lingus don't ask for Passport details at time of booking for any flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

hi all

hoping someone here who knows more than me might be able to help

In order to move a job offer forward I need a new passport which is in the process of being, but hasn't been issued yet.
    Any way I can speed this up? Target issue date is the 2nd of march but ideally would like it before the end of this week if possible as want to get moving as soon as I can, have to relocate to the UK so sooner I can do this the better.
    TIA for any help

• Advertisement

afterglow wrote: »
    hi all

hoping someone here who knows more than me might be able to help

In order to move a job offer forward I need a new passport which is in the process of being, but hasn't been issued yet.
    Any way I can speed this up? Target issue date is the 2nd of march but ideally would like it before the end of this week if possible as want to get moving as soon as I can, have to relocate to the UK so sooner I can do this the better.
    TIA for any help

You don't need a passport for travelling to the UK, unless you're flying with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

fxotoole wrote: »
    You don't need a passport for travelling to the UK, unless you're flying with Ryanair.

Hi

Thanks for replying

Sorry, my fault, I should have been more specific first time round.
    It is the company that need my passport, they took my current one but it is out of date soon so they need the new one for some reason.
    Sorry for not being clearer first time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Me and a friend booked flights for paddies weekend. Thing is, he is only putting in his application for a passport tomorrow. The other thing, its his first ever passport. What are the chances he will get it by the 12th of next month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Me and a friend booked flights for paddies weekend. Thing is, he is only putting in his application for a passport tomorrow. The other thing, its his first ever passport. What are the chances he will get it by the 12th of next month?

I sent in the application for my daughter's passport on the 22nd of Jan and I still haven't got it. Hopefully your mate will get it in time but it might be touch and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hey folks.

I'm going to Istanbul for the weekend on Thur (26th Feb). I've just realised that my passport expires on June 27. I understand that your passport needs to be in date for six months after your entry to Turkey.

Are they strict on this? Do I absolutely need a new passport? And will it be possible to get one within three days next week?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Yes you have to comply. Have you applied online for your visa yet ? You have to do that and it will reject if your passport is due to expire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Tusky wrote: »
    Hey folks.

I'm going to Istanbul for the weekend on Thur (26th Feb). I've just realised that my passport expires on June 27. I understand that your passport needs to be in date for six months after your entry to Turkey.

Are they strict on this? Do I absolutely need a new passport? And will it be possible to get one within three days next week?

Thanks.

First contact the Turkish embassy in Dublin. If they state your passport has to be in date 6 months after you enter or leave their country then you will be refused to travel if you have a passport that does not comply. Also check if you need a visa.
    If you then need a passport urgently you can try and get a Rapid Renewal appointment with the Passport Office on www.passportappointments.ie

Malee wrote: »
    First contact the Turkish embassy in Dublin. If they state your passport has to be in date 6 months after you enter or leave their country then you will be refused to travel if you have a passport that does not comply. Also check if you need a visa.
    If you then need a passport urgently you can try and get a Rapid Renewal appointment with the Passport Office on www.passportappointments.ie

Thanks for your help. The next available appointment is Wednesday. I fly out on Thursday so that's not enough time. Can I just go in tomorrow morning or do you have to book an appointment in advance?

[edit] There's no rapid renewal appointments tomorrow but if I got one on Tuesday, can a family member go in for me or does it have to be me? Tomorrow is my only day off work so I won't be able to go in on Tuesday or Wednesday. Can I fill out all the forms, get them signed by garda etc and send a family member in?

Thanks for your help. The next available appointment is Wednesday. I fly out on Thursday so that's not enough time. Can I just go in tomorrow morning or do you have to book an appointment in advance?

You have to book in advance. You could go to the office in the hopes that someone else has cancelled and that they'll be able to fit you in but there's no guarantee that will be the case.

fxotoole wrote: »
    You have to book in advance. You could go to the office in the hopes that someone else has cancelled and that they'll be able to fit you in but there's no guarantee that will be the case.

If I book the appointment for Wednesday morning is there any chance they would have the passport for me by Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We are considerng taking the 3 kids to France this summer, all 3 will be 5 or under at time of travel.

Do we need passports for them all to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Yes. You all will need passports or the new passport ID cards. Are you flying or taking the ferry?

If it happens at all, it'll more than likely be flying.

Is it any different if going by ferry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

To enter a country other than the UK they will need passports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Yes. You all will need passports or the new passport ID cards. Are you flying or taking the ferry?
    The passport cards will only be in addition to first having a full passport, so you'll still have to go through the rigmarole of getting that passport anyhow.

Thanks all.

Does a child of 18 months need a full passport of their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thanks all.

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thanks all.

It doesn't matter what age they are. I've done passports at work for babies less than 3 months old.

Kids under 3 get 3 year passports. Kids older than 3 but under 18 get 5 year passports.

If I book the appointment for Wednesday morning is there any chance they would have the passport for me by Thursday?

Yes, so long as it's a straightforward renewal and your most recent passport isn't lost/stolen/destroyed.

There are a number of other terms and conditions attached to rapid renewals which you'll see on the passport appointments website as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Yes. Yes. Yes. For a few years now, all children whatever age must have their own passport. It's all detailed on the Passport Office website. No ifs and buts about it.

Children could, once, travel on a parent's passport, but with new child protection legislation, security, etc., that was stopped. It makes sense, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

[edit] There's no rapid renewal appointments tomorrow but if I got one on Tuesday, can a family member go in for me or does it have to be me? Tomorrow is my only day off work so I won't be able to go in on Tuesday or Wednesday. Can I fill out all the forms, get them signed by garda etc and send a family member in?

Someone else can go in on your behalf, but besides all required documentation this person will also need a letter from yourself stating that you allow them (give name) to lodge your application on your behalf, and they will be required to carry their own photo-id.
    The problem with this is however that if there is anything wrong with the application they will be unable to rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DianaN

Hi folks.
    I was burgled before Christmas and thought passport was stolen. I've just moved flats and found my passport down the back of my pc station where it must have dropped as the bastard burgulars were removing my imac.

Anyway, I reported it at the time to both the police and the passport office.
    I hadn't got round to replacing it.
    Ive just spent half an hour on the phone to the passport office. (Most of that on hold)
    trying to establish if it can be "uncancelled" or if I should go ahead and replace.
    The answer was "sure you might as well".
    When I asked if knew whether or not it was cancelled she couldn't tell me becaue I am in england and she was in Dublin. She suggested I phone the police.

Anyone have any idea? I'd prefer not to fork out another 70 quid if I dont have to.
    I know I can't travel on it just wondered if it is possible to remove it from whatever list it might be on.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 DianaN

You mention police and quids so I assume this is a UK passport?

Nope. Irish born and bred. Live in London.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement