Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 familyman

the passport office do a same day issue if you go into the office when it opens and have all the paper work filled out that charge you abit more for example i needed my passport to go to america lost mine the day before i went had to pay 120 euro to get one in a day but it was still a 10 year passport you will need the proof that you are flying out so soon as for the passport expiring yes it needs to be at least 6 months in date at the time of your return journey i work for a travel agent the country you are going to wont let you in with the passport out in june as they feel you wont return to ireland ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

familyman wrote: »
    country you are going to wont let you in with the passport out in june as they feel you wont return to ireland ha

Hardly true if they're leaving in 8 days?

the airlines also want passports to be in date by at least 6 months most airlines any way not sure about the low cost ones

my partner was going to holland and had a passport in date for 7 months and that kept her 2 hours with questions about why it wasn't renewed and questioned the babys passport

You don't need your (Irish) passport to be 6 months within date in the EU. It just needs to be valid on your return journey.

Same actually applies for USA for Irish citizens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm not sure about within the EU but if traveling outside your passport must be valid for at least 6 months.

The passport office are very good in genuine cases. If it was me I'd have alla the paperwork in hand & be standing outside their office on Tuesday morning. The Spanish Embassy may be open Monday as its an Irish Bank Holiday & you could ask them first.

Good luck & enjoy the holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭PopTarts

yes it needs to be at least 6 months in date at the time of your return journey i work for a travel agent the country you are going to wont let you in with the passport out in june as they feel you wont return to ireland ha

Rubbish.

Once you have a return ticket and are travelling home before passport expires you'll be ok.

The Spanish authorities can be a bit of a pain but you won't be refused entry.

The 6 month rule doesn't apply to EU citizens travelling within the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

yes it needs to be at least 6 months in date at the time of your return journey i work for a travel agent the country you are going to wont let you in with the passport out in june as they feel you wont return to ireland ha

Do you mind me asking what travel agent you work for? Want to make sure I avoid it. Some countries that is the case but not all. I've gone to America with 3 weeks left on my passport. No issue at all. Just asked me when I was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

According to this passport only needs to be valid for duration of stay.
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/spain/

See under additional information about passport requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

People are posting incorrect information on this thread which perpetuates myths on this matter.
    In the EU there is no problem and stories about being questioned are very suspect.

With other countries it varies. But Ireland has agreements with the likes of the USA and the detail of these is relevant, not posts of dubious origin on Boards.ie.

If people are sitting at a computer why not just search for an authoritative site rather than post here and allow people post nonsense in response which can only confuse things further?

A 5 second Google search found this
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/passport-validity-needed-for-overseas-travel/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Does anybody know if Ryanair require passports from EU residents looking to travel to Ireland? A friend from France is visiting and like most French people he only has his national identity card.

On a side note...

I just wanted to show my gratitude to the people who work in the passport office in Molesworth, Dublin.

My Grandmother passed away and I only then realised my passport was out of date. Without my knowledge another family member booked my flight assuming I had my passport! (flying with Ryanair).

I got to the counter around 12 that day and they somehow managed to get my passport ready for 11:50 the next day, the flight was at 13:10. Just for the record, it is possible to make a flight leaving in 1 hour and twenty minutes from the passport office. :)

I hope someone working there reads this. They have a thankless job for the most part and they have to put up with some amount of abuse from the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Samba wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Ryanair require passports from EU residents looking to travel to Ireland? A friend from France is visiting and like most French people he only has his national identity card.

On a side note...

I just wanted to show my gratitude to the people who work in the passport office in Molesworth, Dublin.

My Grandmother passed away and I only then realised my passport was out of date. Without my knowledge another family member booked my flight assuming I had my passport! (flying with Ryanair).

I got to the counter around 12 that day and they somehow managed to get my passport ready for 11:50 the next day, the flight was at 13:10. Just for the record, it is possible to make a flight leaving in 1 hour and twenty minutes from the passport office. :)

I hope someone working there reads this. They have a thankless job for the most part and they have to put up with some amount of abuse from the general public.

Direct quote from their website:

THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:
    • A valid passport
    • A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries currentlyissue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France*, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (not accepted on non Schengen flights), Switzerland). *The validity of French National ID cards (issued for adults) has been extended from 10 years to 15 years.
    • A valid German Government issued ‘Kinderausweis’ travel document
    • A valid Greek National Police identity card
    • A valid Spanish Family Book (for use by children under 14 years travelling with their parents/legal guardians on Spanish domestic flights only)
    • A valid Italian ‘Certificato Di Nascita’ with photo (for use by children under 16 years) which has been endorsed as ‘VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO’ for travel on international flights, no endorsement is required when travelling on Italian domestic flights.. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport.
    • A valid Italian AT/BT card (for Italian domestic flights only).
    • A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
    • A valid Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
    • A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hey guys, hope someone can advise me for a friend,
    She is uk citizen, living in Dublin and her passport has expired, and she needs to travel to uk for a funeral,
    How does she go about getting a UK emergency passport from Ireland.
    Thank you in advance for any information

British embassy for UK passports. If she has other photo ID then she won't need one as long ad she goes back via any other route than Ryanair.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kizzabel

Hey all,

I think I already know the answer to my question but just in case there is a loophole -

My passport is valid until 2022 but I need to change it to my (newly) married surname for November - do I pay the full fee or would they change it for a reduced fee/charge?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kizzabel

I need I.D with my married name anyway and the flights are already booked. Should have asked before booking but that's hindsight. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pavelpro

Status approved appear on my passport application yesterday evening, today it still the same as approved...
    Any chance to get passport by Friday evening (tomorrow) as i am flying on Saturday morning.
    Any thoughts?

I already sent email to passport office asking to collect it anytime today or tomorrow, so far no response.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gina2014

Hello, new to boards.ie
    Desperately seeking advice. I applied for my son's passport on the 5th Feb, they needed his fathers death cert which I sent back. It was recorded on the tracking as received on the 5th Mar. The office rang me on the 11th Mar to say they were going to process the application. 6 weeks later and nothing. I have emailed on the website contact link, rang and got the recorded message so many times, got through and left voice mail. Not one person has got back to me. I travel next Sat 3rd and am so worried that now I may be unable to go and lose the money on my flights etc. I'm beginning to think they have lost the application plus original documentation I sent in. I can't travel to Dublin from Sligo before then as I'm working up until the day before I go.
    Any advice welcome please from a very worried mum..thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I don't normally advocate this but contact your local TD and ask them to enquire what the delay is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I don't normally advocate this but contact your local TD and ask them to enquire what the delay is.

And nothing will be done. Getting a TD involved is red rag to a bull stuff for staff!

I would suggest constant emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Passport Office now on Twitter. I can see that being carnage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

AGC wrote: »
    And nothing will be done. Getting a TD involved is red rag to a bull stuff for staff!

I would suggest constant emails.

As a public servant myself I normally agree but when someone's emails have been ignored to date having faith in basically spamming the passport office is a stretch. I'd be more annoyed by being spammed than by a TD query.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CarrieLee

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to put it! ETA: Just spotted the passport thread. Obviously I should have posted this in there. Sorry!

Hoping that someone knows the answer to this question.

Will a photo used for Irish passport application be rejected if shoulders are not showing? I've heard that they are getting very strict on photos so don't want to have to resend if my photos are not right. I have two sets of photos (one taken in chemist and one taken at home, then done through ePassportphoto but neither shows shoulders).

Passport information sheet stipulates that photo should show head and shoulders --so if only head is shown will photos be rejected?

If anyone has info on this - if you've recently applied for a passport or have had photos rejected for this (or any other) reason please let me know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,384 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is a sheet showing examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos - do you have this? It's available in most Garda stations along with the other passport forms. I can't imagine that you'll need to ask any questions off anyone if you have that sheet.

Further guidance here... https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/photo-guidelines/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CarrieLee

Yes, I have the sheet - my photos meet all the requirements apart from the 'shoulders'. I am just wondering if anyone has submitted just a head shot without shoulders and if it was accepted or rejected --or if shoulders MUST be included.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement