Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 emtmayo

what do people usually fail medical on?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

emtmayo wrote: »
    what do people usually fail medical on?

I heard a few failed on the drug test over the years, for smoking hash. But I would call that a good thing. I dont think any one wants a para at there door stoned and then saying there going to look after them

• Registered Users Posts: 18 seangannon

Everyone should calm just a little bit on the cuts. as far as I have heard a few promotions have been cut. St. Marys knows nothing about any halt on recruitment. Granted everyone should take deep breaths and cross your fingers but front-line services will be the last to be cut as the HSE upper levels are to be cut away first in a process that will take several years to complete.
    I believe Novembers class is safe.
    Good luck to anyone who got their offers recently.
    What kind of numbers did you all get?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

HighlyCooL wrote: »
    I heard a few failed on the drug test over the years, for smoking hash. But I would call that a good thing. I dont think any one wants a para at there door stoned and then saying there going to look after them

drug test?? there is no drug test in the medical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wanabep

anyone know if everyone accepted their offers? or did some defer?

• Advertisement

The waiting is killing me. >:( I hope we will hear something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

The waiting is killing me. >:( I hope we will hear something soon.

tell me about it, but i think that we will hear something around the 10th August for the Nov class. (possibly starting 7th Nov, if you look at the Exam dates in March. )

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

coolmoose wrote: »
    drug test?? there is no drug test in the medical.

then whats the urine sample for? im only going on what ive heard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Probably checking for kidney function etc..

Anyone heard anything lately about classes going ahead? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Griffindore

Should be hearing about teh November class in the next 2 weeks. Can't believe the time has finally come. Nail biting between now and getting that all important text message. Fingers crossed that everything goes to plan and we get the text. Good luck everyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Can I ask what has people under the impression that there even is a class for November? Has there even been any indication of this by manorhammiliton or where has this idea come from?

My experience with them is that they dont give any indication of when classes will be starting, as not to get peoples hopes up..

PS not tryin to be pessimistic , just realistic

subscriber wrote: »
    Can I ask what has people under the impression that there even is a class for November? Has there even been any indication of this by manorhammiliton or where has this idea come from?

My experience with them is that they dont give any indication of when classes will be starting, as not to get peoples hopes up..

PS not tryin to be pessimistic , just realistic

I was told by Manorhammilton that there is expected to be a Nov. class, but this was before the HSE blew their budget!

but all i hear points to a Nov class. i expect a start date of the 7th Nov.
    the Exams are in the middle of march as per the Phecc website.

but from now on its a case of wait and see! i think for a 7th Nov start the offers will go out 10th Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

stevie06 wrote: »
    I was told by Manorhammilton that there is expected to be a Nov. class, but this was before the HSE blew their budget!

but all i hear points to a Nov class. i expect a start date of the 7th Nov.
    the Exams are in the middle of march as per the Phecc website.

but from now on its a case of wait and see! i think for a 7th Nov start the offers will go out 10th Nov.

Again, not trying to be pessimistic or anything, just bein realistic but I wouldnt read too much into the fact that there are exams pencilled into the phecc calendar as of course these are very subject to change and really I wouldnt think hold a lot of baring of classes definitely being called forward..

On a positive note, im glad to hear manorhammiliton have made an indication of a November class goin ahead as they did so as well with October class, and that went ahead.. :)

Hoping for November myself so would be more than happy for this to be true, but I think my expectations were a little diminished for a while with all this news of , cut backs, budgets, close the country , gud luck lads, ect ect..

Same as most here I think --> :confused:

HSE freezes hiring of 1,400 key staff

The recruitment of up to 1,400 health service posts – including frontline positions previously exempt from the recruitment moratorium – has been put on hold by the Health Service Executive.

In recent weeks senior management wrote to HSE regional directors stating that a decision had been taken to stall all recruitment due to the scale of the financial challenge facing the organisation.

The move affects hundreds of social workers, therapists, psychiatric nurses and other grades which until now have been exempt from the Government’s moratorium on recruitment. Latest official figures show that by the end of June the executive was running a deficit of more than €200 million.

A spokesman for the HSE last night maintained there was no restriction on the appointment of posts that are exempt from the recruitment embargo, such as social workers. He did not comment on the content of the letter.

The letter, however, makes clear that the recruitment process for up to 1,400 posts has been suspended.

The confidential circular from senior management, dated July 8th, says the recruitment of 400 posts to be created under the HSE’s service plan and a further 1,000 general service posts in different parts of the country has been put on hold.

“Given the scale of the financial challenge currently visible, a decision has been taken at national level to stall all current recruitment until such a time as we see payroll reduction realign to budgetary profile,” the letter states.

“There are always exceptions to this rule and national HR [human resources] is currently developing criteria by which we can manage a number of exemptions to this recruitment pause.”

The issue of delays to recruitment first came to light after social workers told The Irish Times they had received letters over recent weeks stating that their new positions had been put on hold.

One letters states: “With reference to your acceptance of your post, I regret to inform you that we have been advised by HSE management that all posts are on hold pending further confirmation . . . We will not be able to agree a start date or issue an employment contract until further clarification is received.”

These letters come at a time when health authorities and the Government say they are recruiting hundreds of extra social workers to help strengthen child protection services.

Internal social work files show that social work teams are not responding to hundreds of cases of suspected abuse and neglect.

Child protection staff in several areas say they are under-resourced and only in a position to respond to the most critical emergencies.

Meanwhile, the HSE’s performance management report states that pressure on services is continuing. Overall hospital activity is up significantly, while emergency admissions continue to exceed expected levels. The average time for patients who required admission was just over nine hours, with less than half admitted within the six-hour target.

Hmmmmmmm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Hmmmmmmm :confused:

In other words we are F****D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

I knew getting onto the panel was too good to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Griffindore

There are a few ways of looking at the current problem and I choose, for now, to take the optimistic view. The passage above seems to concentrate around social workers, while mentioning front line services, not specific to paramedics. So maybe we're still needed. The payroll expenses for paramedics is through the roof because of the overtime costs. This would be reduced if new recruits come on board and work these hours at the lower wage rate. So we are still needed. The change in A&E depts. may see paramedics actually working there aswell to help with patient treatments. So we are still needed. As A&E depts close to certain emergency calls, the need for more paramedics on the road increases. So we are still needed. Does anyone see my common thread!!? With all the doom and gloom in this country at the moment, lets cling onto a ray of hope that after all our hard work to get this far, that we will be rewarded with a place on the next course.......this year! I'm keeping the fingers crossed and hope someone with some positivity will join in my sentiment. Reality is all well and good when we have the hard facts. Until then, keep positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 quann900

So just say that the October class goes ahead, there is no guarantee that there is a job at the end of it. I would be leaving a good job at the moment to go through the training programme and then have hassle getting into fulltime employment at the end of it, possibly only casual employment when needed to cover holidays and sick days??
    Anyone any comment?

quann900 wrote: »
    So just say that the October class goes ahead, there is no guarantee that there is a job at the end of it. I would be leaving a good job at the moment to go through the training programme and then have hassle getting into fulltime employment at the end of it, possibly only casual employment when needed to cover holidays and sick days??
    Anyone any comment?

I would think that it is the HSE's interest to hire you after spending 60k to train you!

That is of course that you pass the course, do the internship and pass the panel review at the end of your two years. I would imagine that once you do all of the above, they will offer you a job! the conditions of that job are another issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Hightower21

I would think that it is the HSE's interest to hire you after spending 60k to train you!

That is of course that you pass the course, do the internship and pass the panel review at the end of your two years. I would imagine that once you do all of the above, they will offer you a job! the conditions of that job are another issue

Part of the existing contract is that we MUST remain with the service for at least two years after qualifing.

Hopefully we will get some good news about november class soon! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chopper999

Guys try to stay optimistic:p And when you get your 2 years training, look at all the experience you'll have under your belt :)

It's hard to stay optimistic reading the papers and watching the news. Every day feels like a decade waiting to hear if we will get our place.

It's hard to stay optimistic reading the papers and watching the news. Every day feels like a decade waiting to hear if we will get our place.

ya, i know how you feel! every text i got to day i have wondered is it from HR.

i hope we get some news soon! either a yes or no! but i would like to know whats going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chopper999

I know its tough :mad: however looking on the bright side - at least you got on the panel which is a fantastic achievement ;) and everything else will fall into place :p

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

The overtime for paramedics is through the roof. I'm going to be positive from now on and that we are still needed to support the closures of hospital a&e departments.

So latest news.......... Class is due to start on the 1st Nov, but NAS are waiting for the Funds to be released before they send out the offers. Manorhamilton said that the latest for offers for a 1st Nov class is week commencing 22nd of Aug.

so we wait and see........ :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

will the NOV class exhaust the current panel or are they still more waiting to get in???

Advertisement