Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 saab900

Manorhamilton don't seem to know their arse from their elbow. I am in the mid thirties for the 2010 panel and was told that I would be starting in May, now they are saying Oct-Nov. Also bear in mind there will be a new minister for health next week and who knows what's going to happen with budgetary constraints etc. Disillusioned with the whole process to say the least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

saab900 wrote: »
    Manorhamilton don't seem to know their arse from their elbow. I am in the mid thirties for the 2010 panel and was told that I would be starting in May, now they are saying Oct-Nov. Also bear in mind there will be a new minister for health next week and who knows what's going to happen with budgetary constraints etc. Disillusioned with the whole process to say the least!!

The staff in Manorhamilton have a huge amount of work on their plate with reference to the Ambulance Service recruitment.
    The change of rules in education standards relating to the 2009 panel were recently overturned for those on that panel so they are now entitled to a training post based on their merit, which basically puts them ahead of anyone on the 2010 panel.
    But because a class from the 2010 panel is ready to start they will go ahead as planned. Now the successful applicants from the 2009 panel are entitled to a place on the next class following the March class. Then it will revert back to the 2010 panel on merit.

So with the changes in education requirements coming in during a recruitment, then overturned, while staff in Manorhamilton are trying to get through education certs, Garda clearence, references etc, it's not surprising that it led to some uncertainties amongst the panel.

All I can say is bide your time, you will get the call, and the very best of luck with what is a very rewarding career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 allo joe

I was refused last year on my educational backround, im not giving out about the requierments as you are going to be studying in a third level institute that is why i am doing my leaving cert biology and sitting it this year, but am unsure about the future of the education for paramedics as there is going to be a new government this year and loads of cut backs and changes so have applied to do nursing for now and hope the paramedics will come up again in the near future, does anyone know if they will be recruiting this year or not. And best of luck to all who starting training this year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

allo joe wrote: »
    I was refused last year on my educational backround, im not giving out about the requierments as you are going to be studying in a third level institute that is why i am doing my leaving cert biology and sitting it this year, but am unsure about the future of the education for paramedics as there is going to be a new government this year and loads of cut backs and changes so have applied to do nursing for now and hope the paramedics will come up again in the near future, does anyone know if they will be recruiting this year or not. And best of luck to all who starting training this year.....
    I have said in a previous post that ucd are considering only accepting the 5 LC subjects with 400 points. And according to Manorhamilton there should be another recruitment drive in the later part of this year.
    All hearsay mind you, no actual official statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jahdev

saab900 wrote: »

Manorhamilton is where the HSE HR is, <mod snip> in particular looks after the national recruitment campaign for the NAS. If she doesn't know what's going on, it is probably because nobody knows.

The leaving cert requirement was added half way through the previous recruitment and a number of people already on the panel, with a starting date and a training offer, were told that they were no longer eligible. At least one of the applicant brought the HSE to court over it, and won the case a couple of weeks ago. It meant that the decision had to be overturned for all on the previous panel.

Everyone I spoke to over the months in manorhamilton was really helpfull and I beleive they are doing as good a job as possible with the changing conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 redmonster

I totally agree with you jahdev, i found manorhamiliton very helpful too......its just a waiting game from here on in till we're called (hopefully):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jahdev

I rang manorhamilton today, the contracts should be in the post early next week (monday or tuesday). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CAGM9

Early 60s on panel. Counting the days till I get a call. Filling ever other moment with something useful and trying to stay positive. Trying not to worry about I "think" the new government will or will not do.

I wish everyone on the panel the best of luck, I hope ye all get to train and that we all get to make the most of it. A great opportunity to work in a great role in our community.

Stay cool, stay positive and get ready!!!!!!

We worked hard and we got this far. The best is yet to come!!:):):):)

Spoke with manorhamilton today. Had it confirmed that the people from the previous panel are starting in may. The 2nd class in our panel will start in september and the 3rd in november 2011.
    They envisage 4 classes this year but subject to the new government. Fingers crossed all goes to plan.
    Only one person refused a place in the current intake so we all jumped up 1 place.

Some of ye knew this already but I just thought I might share.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 emtmayo

That's brilliant news thanks for sharing. Fingers crossed all will go to plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinor

Does anyone know what will happen with the people who expected to be in class 4? The people over number 72 on the panel. Will they extend the panel formed in 2010 into 2012? Would the first 2012 class be in March? I know nothing is definite, just trying to get some idea of when, or if I'll be called.

eoinor wrote: »
    Does anyone know what will happen with the people who expected to be in class 4? The people over number 72 on the panel. Will they extend the panel formed in 2010 into 2012? Would the first 2012 class be in March? I know nothing is definite, just trying to get some idea of when, or if I'll be called.

At the moment I dont know if the NAS know themselves. It depends on the new government and funding. Hopefully it all goes ahead as manorhamilton seem to be adament that all people on the panel needed to be trained in order to meet requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PsychoSue

Hay,

I'm hoping someone can help me, my heads in a SPIIIIN as I'm reading stuff hear about LC results and college etc. Can you get a job driving/working on an ambulance with just an EMT course??

If yes, can you please fill me in on how to go about applying

AND

If no, Can you PLEASE tell me what is the MINIMUM required to start working at this level.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Hightower21

PsychoSue wrote: »
    Hay,

I'm hoping someone can help me, my heads in a SPIIIIN as I'm reading stuff hear about LC results and college etc. Can you get a job driving/working on an ambulance with just an EMT course??

If yes, can you please fill me in on how to go about applying

AND

If no, Can you PLEASE tell me what is the MINIMUM required to start working at this level.

Cheers

At the moment there is no way that an emt can start work for the HSE. However there are private ambulance companys who do employ emts. try them.

As for the HSE look up www.NATS.ie for all current information about joing the national ambulance service. in a nutshell its the Leaving cert (5 sublects including a science subject) - If no science subject then an emt qualification will do for the science subject only.

You will need the C1 licence before you can apply at the next recruitment (prob late 2011 early 2012),

You will need a D1 licence after that but you will have plenty of time to get that done.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 longshott

just a few questions...i read that trainee paramedics get 28k+ a year that is hardly when they are doing the training course..or is it the first employable year. and is the course monday-friday or all week round... do the students get holidays ie christmas easter and public hols???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonm

Yes your trainee salary is circa 28k and yes you are paid all through your training. During your placements you also get paid allowances of 225 euro tax free a week and during your second placements where you are rostered for weekends you also get shift allowance of circa 175 per fortnight (taxed).

As for holidays these are as per any work contract but you are told when they are as you must attend all training.

As for working hours. Until the end of your first placement (first 6 months or so) it is mon to fri 8am till 5-5.30pm approx. (39.5hrs paid) after that it's 5 shifts per 7 days (night or day and fri to fri) during placements.

Hope that helps answer your question

This is what we've been told for the latest class

Contracts are due today, was talking to MH yesterday as wanted to check before I gave my notice to work. Was told they were being posted yesterday.

Less than 2 weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Gebbo

jasonm wrote: »
    Contracts are due today, was talking to MH yesterday as wanted to check before I gave my notice to work. Was told they were being posted yesterday.

Less than 2 weeks now.

yup got the contract today and posted it off just there! not long now!!

cheers for that do u mind me asking what age u are?...im considering doin this but im only out of secondary school and would like 2 do a bit of traveling or maybe go 2 college first maybe in social studies would that give me an advantage in getting a spot on the course..i also want to know what is the apptitude test like? i got 380 in my leaving cert so hopefully ill be able for it when it comes around?

I'm in my very early 30s but have been a member of a voluntary rescue service since I was 15. I have dabbled in many things including college twice and some travel. I think life experience is essential especially with the interviews as they really want good examples of you being a team player, making decisions and working under pressure. I think having this in mind getting involved with sports groups and voluntary services help alot.

You first need to get your C1 driving license as this is minimum to apply. This will take you a while as first you sit a theory test to get your learner permit and then you sit a cpc course and then you have to do lessons etc and eventually your test. It can work out expensive and some commitment.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Did everyone else notice in our contract that the basic wage has gone down from 27750 approx to 25445 euro. Still signing that contrat though

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Sparkey84

I assume that is the new 10% cut for new hse staff, still signing contract aswell but it is a bit of a setback. That 10% will represent a large portion of my disposable income I know, it will also follow us on through increments also. Once qualifed we will be earning less than the man beside us for the same job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

You first need to get your C1 driving license as this is minimum to apply. This will take you a while as first you sit a theory test to get your learner permit and then you sit a cpc course and then you have to do lessons etc and eventually your test. It can work out expensive and some commitment.

You mentioned there about doing a CPC course, you are exempt from that when driving for emergency purposes, it's only for professional drivers i.e bus drivers, truck drivers.

Also longshott, I'm only 20 so don't let that hold you back! In saying that you want to have other courses done, it may help you in the course but not into getting into the course as you have to do the aptitude test before they see what qualification you have!

In regards to what points you got in the leaving cert that's irrelevant to how you will perform in the aptitude test, you need to study that specifically!!...but there is talk of bringing in the requirement of 400 leaving cert points.

Little bit annoyed about that paycut!! but likewise still signing!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Pebbles! wrote: »
    there is talk of bringing in the requirement of 400 leaving cert points.

I heard this a few times and it is not possible to fix points in the cao system, the points are caculated by taking demand and number of places into account so you can't begin to guess what the points will be. Take, for example, a course with 25 places and 100 people apply. If, say, the lowest of the top 25 students got 500 points then that course would require a minimum of 500 points. UCD could only impose restrictions like having a science subject or the likes of that. A bit off topic I know but a lot of people were freaking out at the prospect of 400 points! Pebbles I'm not nit-picking your post, this is about the 5th time I've read it so I thought it was time to pipe up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Hi all,

Did everyone else notice in our contract that the basic wage has gone down from 27750 approx to 25445 euro. Still signing that contrat though

Saw that, If you look at what was in the candidate information booklet from last year, that's a nice drop.

"The Salary for Emergency Medical Technician Trainee is €28,275 as of 01/01/2010"

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

You don't need to sit CPC for ambulance service or driving of emergency vehicles.

Pebbles! wrote: »
    You mentioned there about doing a CPC course, you are exempt from that when driving for emergency purposes, it's only for professional drivers i.e bus drivers, truck drivers.

I did my driving tests before the new regulations so wasnt aware that you could be exempt from the CPC end, I have to attend an annual 1 day CPC course but in saying that I'm glad I did the full C and D driving tests as I've been waiting for the applications to open for the Paramedic training for 2.5 years and was able to find work driving trucks and buses in the mean while for which you'll need your CPC card. Even when you get through onto a panel you could be waiting a while and its handy to have the liceneses to get work from.

ch252 wrote: »
    I heard this a few times and it is not possible to fix points in the cao system, the points are caculated by taking demand and number of places into account so you can't begin to guess what the points will be. Take, for example, a course with 25 places and 100 people apply. If, say, the lowest of the top 25 students got 500 points then that course would require a minimum of 500 points. UCD could only impose restrictions like having a science subject or the likes of that. A bit off topic I know but a lot of people were freaking out at the prospect of 400 points! Pebbles I'm not nit-picking your post, this is about the 5th time I've read it so I thought it was time to pipe up about it.

The thing being that this course may not (and most likely will not) actually be put into the CAO system, but UCD may apply a 400 point equivalent requirement for entry to the course - they can set whatever entry requirements they wish.

I did my driving tests before the new regulations so wasnt aware that you could be exempt from the CPC end, I have to attend an annual 1 day CPC course but in saying that I'm glad I did the full C and D driving tests as I've been waiting for the applications to open for the Paramedic training for 2.5 years and was able to find work driving trucks and buses in the mean while for which you'll need your CPC card. Even when you get through onto a panel you could be waiting a while and its handy to have the liceneses to get work from.

Agreed it is handy to have the licences. Also if you held your licences before 9 Sept 2008 (bus) and 9 Sept 2009 (truck) you do not have to sit CPC exam and have acquired rights to CPC - you must only sit the annual training day in order to hold on to it.

However, it is important to point out to people that you do not need CPC in order to apply for HSE NAS.

• Advertisement

cheers for all the information..it mightnt even come down to whether or not i get all the requirements...because the hse is set to be abolished..(unless something major happens)..needless to said i dislike enda kenny... hopefully there will be a graduate program introduced or something like that very speculative i knowmad.gif

Advertisement