Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

wanabep wrote: »
    does anyone know if any offers were refused for the first class??

From what I am aware of nobody has refused the first course, but they still not have been guaranteed a place, as garda clearance and references are still being processed so some people could get refused entry if these we're in these aren't satisfactory. Some people who are in the late twenties are still being processed just incase there is some dropouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 murphy2011

Hi,
    I just missed out recruitment last year by a few days :rolleyes:was waiting for bus test cancelation but have all licences got now, but I was wondering is there any chance of recruitment next year? I know with goverment situation and by the time the panal gets all trained........any thoughts?? sorry I know its proberly silly question but just was wondering
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

murphy2011 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just missed out recruitment last year by a few days :rolleyes:was waiting for bus test cancelation but have all licences got now, but I was wondering is there any chance of recruitment next year? I know with goverment situation and by the time the panal gets all trained........any thoughts?? sorry I know its proberly silly question but just was wondering
    thanks

Maybe there will be...and maybe there won't. Anyone who tells you there will be is talking out their arse, because at this stage, nobody actually knows. Only closer to the time will it be known if future recruitment will take place. Well done on getting the licences sorted though, first hurdle out of the way!

Thanks Coolmoose
    had an idea be a long shot! but at least have the licences got so hold tight for a few years :) was away and came back and saw advertisment so was serious cramming in lessons and test so was not ment ofr me this time round :rolleyes:
    Best of luck to all whole are starting there training this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6 laois123

jahdev wrote: »
    One person didn't turn up at orientation day today. It doesn't mean he or she refused the offer though.
    hi jahdev,
    could you tell me how many were at the orientation day. was it in the school and what happened at it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonm

There were 24 people at orientation day. Some of us got less than 24 hrs notice and were late arriving but i think full class were there in the end.

We got a brief outline of what the school is, we got set up on the payroll, got measured for uniforms and issued with books. There were many questions in relation to pay, placements etc but the course is still in the process of being put together and no one is a definite on the course until contracts are issued, signed and returned so there are parts that noone as answers to yet.

We were to be set up on the schools online system and get a talk from the head of the facility but the IT man was sick and the head was stuck in meetings.

The uniform fitting took a while but everything else was very straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wanabep

Pebbles! wrote: »
    From what I am aware of nobody has refused the first course, but they still not have been guaranteed a place, as garda clearance and references are still being processed so some people could get refused entry if these we're in these aren't satisfactory. Some people who are in the late twenties are still being processed just incase there is some dropouts.

thanks Pebbles & Jahdev.. Best of luck to all starting soon.. hopefully I wont be long behind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 laois123

jasonm wrote: »
    There were 24 people at orientation day. Some of us got less than 24 hrs notice and were late arriving but i think full class were there in the end.

We got a brief outline of what the school is, we got set up on the payroll, got measured for uniforms and issued with books. There were many questions in relation to pay, placements etc but the course is still in the process of being put together and no one is a definite on the course until contracts are issued, signed and returned so there are parts that noone as answers to yet.

We were to be set up on the schools online system and get a talk from the head of the facility but the IT man was sick and the head was stuck in meetings.

The uniform fitting took a while but everything else was very straight forward.

thanks for the info. iam in the mid 50s on the panel. so iam just working out if i may call for the next class or the one after that. either way hope to be there soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Check your emails, those of you who made the panel last year but were declined due to not meeting the new criteria.
    Apparently that decision has been overturned for that panel and emails are being sent out asking if you wish to be considered again and placed back on the panel.
    So good news for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

Hi,
    thanks

Hiya just to make sure you are aware the bus or d1 test is no longer a requirement to apply, you must have it to get a job after training but not needed for iniatial recriutment process, it is the lorry/truck or C/C1 licence you need to first apply. I'm sure missing "bus" test could just have been a typo on your part but just in case make sure is is infact the C catagory licence you plan to apply with next year

• Advertisement

thanks sparky 84 yes was typo error ! have the bus awhile was the rigid I did my test in so have all got now c,c1,d,d1!
    good luck with your training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Check your emails, those of you who made the panel last year but were declined due to not meeting the new criteria.
    Apparently that decision has been overturned for that panel and emails are being sent out asking if you wish to be considered again and placed back on the panel.
    So good news for some.

Do you know how many are left on the last panel, im hoping to go in in the second class of this year, I know there first in line, coz they have been waiting so long, but i really want to get in before there is a coup in the HSE and were all told that the panel is gone or some thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

HighlyCooL wrote: »
    Do you know how many are left on the last panel, im hoping to go in in the second class of this year, I know there first in line, coz they have been waiting so long, but i really want to get in before there is a coup in the HSE and were all told that the panel is gone or some thing.

I'm not sure of the exact figures but I'm led to believe candidates from that panel will be offered places on classes to be run during 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

HighlyCooL wrote: »

I was told that there was only 5 or 6 people left on it, not a large number.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

I'm in the first class on this 2011 intake but not by much I was 19 on panel, so I understand that the guys before us may resume their places ahead of ours. If my place gets put back abit to next class I don't really mind, well I mean I would be very dissapointed, but those guys got places before we did and I feel sorry for them the way they were messed around.So a first come first serve policy is the fairest deal all round. My only issue is that I like to know for sure which way it will go sooner rather than later simply for practical reasons of planning accom and all. does anyone know when we might find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 speedy88

Sparkey84 i presume you were in nats last week. I presume the people from last panel will start in the next class of 2011 because like the guy said we are 99.9% in

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

good luck to all those who got a place this time around, I didn't make it due to "educational differences" despite getting a good place in the aptitiude test.
    I made some enquiries about the next recruitmnet drive and they are talking about bringing in LC points rather than just a pass. They mentioned 400 points!
    I'm gonna do my LC with a view to taking the exams in June '12.
    Did my original "school leaving cert" in 1985!!!
    Hopefully they'll consider making provisions for mature students simlilar to nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

The people from the 2009 panel have been offered a class in May. I imagine this does not effect the March class at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SAR.

MN_Medic wrote: »
    The people from the 2009 panel have been offered a class in May. I imagine this does not effect the March class at all.

Was chatting to "someone" today who told me there are at least 10 people from the 2009 panel being offered a place in the may 2011 class. They have two weeks to make their decision. Fair play to them for getting back on the panel and i hope all goes well for them. You can only imagine how disappointed they must have been after passing the interview and then to be told that they are going to be taken off the panel again :eek: Good luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

The offer has to be accepted by next Wednesday. I know a person on that panel that originally got placed in the 90's. They are now placed 28 on the remainder of the panel. A class of 24 will start in May from the 2009 panel. A few of the panel will be called for the class after that. That is if everyone now accepts the offer.
    Dissapointing is not the word SAR. It's been over 2 years since we first applied and 1 year of appeals, emails, phone calls and meetings. We are relieved that sense has triumphed. ;-)

• Advertisement

emtally wrote: »
    good luck to all those who got a place this time around, I didn't make it due to "educational differences" despite getting a good place in the aptitiude test.
    I made some enquiries about the next recruitmnet drive and they are talking about bringing in LC points rather than just a pass. They mentioned 400 points!
    Hopefully they'll consider making provisions for mature students simlilar to nursing.

oh no that is awful for you to get so near !!!
    if they change from pass to 400 points!! thats me out :eek:
    Best of luck LC 2012.
    Did they give you any info apart from LC about the next recruitment drive?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

oh no that is awful for you to get so near !!!
    if they change from pass to 400 points!! thats me out :eek:
    Best of luck LC 2012.
    Did they give you any info apart from LC about the next recruitment drive?:confused:

If it's only one subject (like a science subject) you need to get an honour in, you can just repeat that one exam, the grade will stand but you can't add it onto your previous lc points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

emtally wrote: »

If they change the current entry requirements to include LC points that's my Paramedic aspirations done and dusted. There is no way in hell I am going back to repeat second level education exams. It just seems to be getting harder. What next, a PhD? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cork021

Hi lads.
    Im also on the panel to start this year.
    I got a 100 euro fine in court back in 2005 for public order act.

Will this stop me from getting in.......

ch252 wrote: »
    If it's only one subject (like a science subject) you need to get an honour in, you can just repeat that one exam, the grade will stand but you can't add it onto your previous lc points.
    hi ch252,
    thanks for idea of repeating subjects did not know you could repeat just one.
    I have high grades on biology and maths but your talking years ago so i doubt the old leaving cert would mount to 400!
    thanks though i think it seems to be getting harder and harder to get in :(
    I be in a zimmer by the time i get everything they need!!:o

Elessar wrote: »
    If they change the current entry requirements to include LC points that's my Paramedic aspirations done and dusted. There is no way in hell I am going back to repeat second level education exams. It just seems to be getting harder. What next, a PhD? :(
    I don't understand why they don't bring in an entrance exam. They could set that at almost any level they wanted without excluding anyone regardless of education...

I don't understand why everyone thinks it's a conspiracy theory against those without the LC. I'm glad the current appeal worked and those who were panelled prior to the LC requirement got offered places - changing the goalposts halfway through the process was very unfair in my opinion.

However, UCD are trying to bring the entry requirements in line with courses for other allied health professions, albeit outside of the CAO process. If this course were to enter the CAO process, the same entry criteria would most likely apply.

Minimum entry criteria apply to all courses, and the LC happens to be one of those for the vast majority of courses. I agree that a certain number of places should be held for mature student applicants similar to nursing, but other than that, I see no issue with introducing the LC as an entry requirement to the course.

Just my 2c.

coolmoose wrote: »
    I don't understand why everyone thinks it's a conspiracy theory against those without the LC. I'm glad the current appeal worked and those who were panelled prior to the LC requirement got offered places - changing the goalposts halfway through the process was very unfair in my opinion.

However, UCD are trying to bring the entry requirements in line with courses for other allied health professions, albeit outside of the CAO process. If this course were to enter the CAO process, the same entry criteria would most likely apply.

Minimum entry criteria apply to all courses, and the LC happens to be one of those for the vast majority of courses. I agree that a certain number of places should be held for mature student applicants similar to nursing, but other than that, I see no issue with introducing the LC as an entry requirement to the course.

Just my 2c.
    i personally don't see it as a conspiracy, just think it would open the campaign to those that might have made not the wisest decisions re: the LC in their youth...
    I find it hard that a decision i made 25 years ago should affect me so much today...
    just my own 2c's worth too...

Sorry emtally, my comment wasn't aimed at what you had said, I quoted your post by mistake! Sorry for that, have edited my post!

I agree with your sentiments, hence why I'm saying a specific number of places should be ring-fenced for mature applicants who do not fulfill the educational requirements, similar to all other mature entry routes into other courses.

• Advertisement

coolmoose wrote: »
    Sorry emtally, my comment wasn't aimed at what you had said, I quoted your post by mistake! Sorry for that, have edited my post!

I agree with your sentiments, hence why I'm saying a specific number of places should be ring-fenced for mature applicants who do not fulfill the educational requirements, similar to all other mature entry routes into other courses.
    no worries mate...
    that makes sense, still haven't given up on the dream tho, LC with min 400 pts here i come...
    either that or retirement, whichever comes first!!

Advertisement