Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonm

I was offered a place and I was #23 on the panel if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 xALFAx

Mossie1m wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    First of all well done to the first class that got called and i was wondering does anyone know how many got into the first class from the panel, i heard they called candidates in the high 30s, not sure if this is true or just spoof,,,:rolleyes:

I'm #32 on the panel and haven't been called for this round

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

I'm 39, and got no call or text, I think it's safe to say that we should be getting the text from NASC West some time in march for a start mid may.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Louth EMT

maltam wrote: »
    Got my letter today, i did very well (top 5) ... I would like to offer my support to those who didnt make it .... This is my third time trying to get on to a panel under the current recruitment style the HSE are using.. before it i made two attempts..

Maltam i have just one wee questions for you regarding the apptitude tests. You sat the exams 3 times, where the test's different on each occasioin or where they the same. Just wondering for future reference. Anyone with a similar experience to maltam please feel free to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 agentRocky

Hey guys, I'm #114 on the new panel. Just wondering does anyone know how many are places are on offer? I was reading through the last few pages and see someone mentioned it might depend on the new government.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Had my medical this morning. All went well.

They Checked the following
    Height
    Weight
    BMI
    Waist size
    Abdomin size
    BP
    Took bloods
    Eyesight report which we had to bring from opticians
    Urine sample
    Vaccine history.

Very simple but from mine I have to get proof of having had a BCG vaccine as a child or arrange for a Mantoux test as I've no visible scar on my arm. I've also to start my Hep B vaccines and get proof of MMR vaccines incase my bloods come back as positive for any of those 3.

Just for those still to go in if your like me and had a BCG as a child (no scar) you'll need to get proof from your Healthcare centre and you'll be told also that you may need to prove MMR vaccine depending on your blood results so while in you might as well get both.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Hightower21

Got mine done as well.
    Yea need to get the BCG records as well.
    They gave me the flu jab as well as hep B.
    Arms starting to get a bit sore now!
    Went well though!

I was told I'd have to get the Hep B done with my doctor as they had none in stock. Must have got some. Been to local health centre and they have no record of me getting BCG on the date I have from my parents have to go back to Tullamore and get a 2 tier Mantoux test done now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mossie1m

agentRocky wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm #114 on the new panel. Just wondering does anyone know how many are places are on offer? I was reading through the last few pages and see someone mentioned it might depend on the new government.
    Cheers

As far as i know there is 120 people on this current panel and there is no definite amount of classes (24 per class) planned. Its just a waiting game now. You are on the panel which is great. Have no worries your time will come.;)

Im trying to find out my records for the BCG, Cant contact anyone. Pain in the ring.

• Advertisement

If you can't get your bcg record you have to get a mantoux test done. I'm in the same boat. It's a simple procedure. They inject a substance just under the skin and after 48 hrs they measure the lump. If it shrinks you have no bcg or immunity to tb if it gets bigger you do. They have to test you twice to get a true reading so your final results take about 2 weeks. Test is only 20 euro each time plus your doctor charge.

You can get your bcg record in the county central health centre. Prior to the 90's these were just hand written into a ledger.

Eventually got my BCG Record.
    Had to ring school immunisation in my regional health centre. (the one where I went to school).

They wont have records for other jabs that were given as a baby etc. only what you got in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Gebbo

When are we likely to get the results of the medicals (blood and urine samples) and what exactly do they check for in them? Ive heard of someone failing last year because of the urine showing up glucose or something and turns out that person was diabetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 agentRocky

Mossie1m wrote: »
    As far as i know there is 120 people on this current panel and there is no definite amount of classes (24 per class) planned. Its just a waiting game now. You are on the panel which is great. Have no worries your time will come.;)

Thank you. The panels dont expire so?

Think I'll be safe enough in planning a summer holiday. Tour de france here i come! w00t w00t!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SAR.

Think I'll be safe enough in planning a summer holiday. Tour de france here i come! w00t w00t!

Well done to you all for passing your interviews. I dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but after what happened to the previous panel i dont think there's such a thing as a safe panel. I dont think there'll be a repeat of last year where they threw a spanner in the works where they announced that you had to have passed your leaving cert to apply for the emt trainee course. As far as i know if a panel sits for ages they will expire the panel and start a new recruitment campaign when the time comes. Again this isnt gospel but it was an ambulance officer that told me this. Maybe if you ring manorhamilton they will be abel to clear this up for you

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

coolmoose wrote: »
    People generally book in for 4 nights per week (Mon-Thur inclusive) and head home on the Friday after finish.

I received a price over the phone of €50 B&B or €59 B&B + Dinner. Works out at about €200 - €236 per week for 4 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Agreed it can seem steep, but when you look at the way your time in the college is split between campus and placements, it can work out the same or even cheaper.

For example, if you were to rent a house between a few in the class you would all need to take out a minimum term lease, and then even if you are off in Galway/Cork/"insert county" on a placement for 2/3/4 weeks you still have to pay rent in Dublin as well as B&B/hotel in placement area.

Remember, you have a few weeks of hospital placements (ED/ICU/Psych/Elderly etc.), 4 weeks initial ambulance placement, 12 weeks undergraduate ambulance placement...all with college attendance weeks between them!

With the hotel option, you only pay for when you're there.

I didn't train in the Park so I can't tell you what's best for NASC East but I know <mod snip> is a popular option with NASC students...might even be an idea to share rooms after a while to save on the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Hello Im just wondering if there are any HSE ambulance stations in Dublin or is it only DFB stations. I would really love to visit one to find out what station life is like. Also what is the shift routine when you are finally qualified. And what is the shift routine for trainees, do trainees just fiind out on a week to week basis? Thank you for any help or info.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

I didn't get called for this class, hopefully the next one. I know I am thinking way to far ahead but does anyone know the class hours. I am just wondering if commuting will be a option for me. That's if I get called up fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

bono_v wrote: »
    Hello Im just wondering if there are any HSE ambulance stations in Dublin or is it only DFB stations. I would really love to visit one to find out what station life is like. Also what is the shift routine when you are finally qualified. And what is the shift routine for trainees, do trainees just fiind out on a week to week basis? Thank you for any help or info.
    I know St James' Hospital have an ambulance station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

bono_v wrote: »

Swords, Tallaght Hospital, Loughlinstown Hospital, and James Hospital all have HSE Ambulance Stations.

Shift routine depends from station to station, generally 12 hours hifts.

again trainees find out at different stages, and depending on the region. Once qualified some get rostered quickly, others remain on relief, all depending on region again!

Have a read here for more info - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055986379

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

Panels have a lifetime of a year and can be extended by the organisation if they choose.

coolmoose wrote: »
    Swords, Tallaght Hospital, Loughlinstown Hospital, and James Hospital all have HSE Ambulance Stations.

Shift routine depends from station to station, generally 12 hours hifts.

again trainees find out at different stages, and depending on the region. Once qualified some get rostered quickly, others remain on relief, all depending on region again!

Have a read here for more info - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055986379

2 of the stations are 12 hours and the other are 8 hour shifts. Students are generally put on days if possible and do Monday to Friday when on their initial ambulance placements.

To all on Course 10 starting on 21st March,

I got a phonecall this morning, there is an orientation day tomorrow (8th Feb) in the school from 10 am till mid afternoon where we will be fitted for our uniforms, get our books, get an introduction to the school and get setup on payroll.

They are supposed to be sending us an email this morning with the details, hopefully will get to meet most of you there.

See you in the morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

jasonm wrote: »
    To all on Course 10 starting on 21st March,

I got a phonecall this morning, there is an orientation day tomorrow (8th Feb) in the school from 10 am till mid afternoon where we will be fitted for our uniforms, get our books, get an introduction to the school and get setup on payroll.

They are supposed to be sending us an email this morning with the details, hopefully will get to meet most of you there.

See you in the morning :D

yeah I got a phonecall on Friday from them, was told it's on 'til 4pm! Getting all offical now! Roll on 21st March!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 redmonster

Hi all
    best of luck to all ye starting in march ;), just wondering with all this HSE stuff in the news at the minute, will they be recruiting the rest of us:confused:, im mid 60s on the panel so should be the 3rd group for this year hopefully........ can anyone shed light on this please .... thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

redmonster wrote: »
    Hi all
    best of luck to all ye starting in march ;), just wondering with all this HSE stuff in the news at the minute, will they be recruiting the rest of us:confused:, im mid 60s on the panel so should be the 3rd group for this year hopefully........ can anyone shed light on this please .... thanks :)

Yeah I believe you will get called later in the year, got told that from a reliable source! ;) so best of luck for when you get called! plus if a lot of people refused their offer it could also mean you get called sooner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 redmonster

oh brilliant !!!!! happy days ................ thanks for that Pebbles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 halpers

Pebbles! wrote: »
    Yeah I believe you will get called later in the year, got told that from a reliable source! ;) so best of luck for when you get called! plus if a lot of people refused their offer it could also mean you get called sooner!
    Im in the 90's on the panel. Do you reckon I've any chance of being called??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wanabep

Pebbles! wrote: »

does anyone know if any offers were refused for the first class??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jahdev

One person didn't turn up at orientation day today. It doesn't mean he or she refused the offer though.

Advertisement