Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol €132.9 Diesel €123.9

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Hammertime wrote: »
    It's the same for all (and I know a lot) the station owner/operators I know. Also I cannot begin to describe the viciousness and level of competition between the major fuel companies. They would do anything to F**k each other up.

2 weekends ago I sold fuel 3 cents below cost just to mess up the opening day of a new station near me. It cost the fuel company about 6 grand to do it. And they were delighted.

Newbridge is probably the worst for station owners

Mc Laughlins (texaco)
    Tommy Tougher (toughers)
    Frazer (frazers)
    Byrnes (Topaz)
    Brennans (maxol)
    Duffy (TOP)

All strong willed independent types who will fight for every sale, hence the better prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Just checked out the pumps.ie website. I never realised the Government took so much of the price of fuel. And when you look at the 3 budgets since the price spike in Summer '08 petrol has had 12.2c added to it while diesel has had a 9.9c increase
    I think I'll give up being grumpy with the station owners now;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

smccarrick wrote: »
    112.9 for diesel?
    That must be one of the cheapest in the whole country!
    I've no need to go to Dundrum- but if I had- I'd be filling up my 30ltr cans as well as the car.......

No, it is 114.9 for diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MYOB wrote: »
    [/B]

Today. Almost certainly won't be tomorrow.

Tesco always charges different prices at different stations, and Maynooth has always been one of the most expensive for petrol, with Finglas and Dundrum being the opposite end.
    Hammertime wrote:
    It shows a complete lack of knowledge to suggest that local prcing is in some
    way influenced by a 'cartel'
    Several retailers have been prosecuted by the Compeition Authority for price fixing. Complete war me hole. Stop insulting our intelligence.

Localised competition != cartel. The competition authority has already looked in to this and found that there is no anti-competitive behaviour.
    Less than 1% variation in prices != competition.

By your own admission The Competition Authority looked into it. I didn't know they too were suspicious.

This bit is very important, as there is a big difference:
    The CA did not find there was no anti-competitive behaviour.
    The CA were unable to prove there was anti-competitive behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Fiskar wrote: »
    No, it is 114.9 for diesel

Thats tuppence cheaper- not 4c, than Maynooth, then........
    Still I imagine the queue of customers will make the most of it.......

smccarrick wrote: »
    Thats tuppence cheaper- not 4c, than Maynooth, then........
    More fuels than diesel. Last time I checked we were still a nation of petrol heads. Unleaded is 4c cheaper.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JHMEG wrote: »
    Less than 1% variation in prices != competition.

By your own admission The Competition Authority looked into it. I didn't know they too were suspicious.

This bit is very important, as there is a big difference:
    The CA did not find there was no anti-competitive behaviour.
    The CA were unable to prove there was anti-competitive behaviour.

The CA were unable to prove there was anti-competitive behaviour, because there isn't any.

At this stage I'm not going to bother with you anymore. You're unhealthily obsessed with this idea that you're being ripped off by people who are making maybe 50c profit on a full fill.

If its such a high profit, cartel-controlled anti competitive industry why have half the people in the business closed down in the past decade despite constantlt rising sales?
    Several retailers have been prosecuted by the Compeition Authority for price fixing. Complete war me hole. Stop insulting our intelligence.

Which ones, when and proof?

The CA were unable to prove there was anti-competitive behaviour, because there isn't any.
    Did you ever read any of the CA statements? In many cases they suspect abuse, but need to find written evidence. Only very stupid cartels put stuff in writing.
    MYOB wrote:
    Which ones, when and proof?
    Are you denying fuel retailers have been prosecuted for price fixing?
    MYOB wrote:
    You're unhealthily obsessed with this idea that you're b
    MYOB wrote:
    You appear to be obsessed with findi
    MYOB wrote:
    You have serious, serious hangups over t
    MYOB wrote:
    if you want to live in the land of paranoia
    How about you argue the point, and not the person. Several post now attacking me personally. A sign you're getting desperate?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did you ever read any of the CA statements? In many cases they suspect abuse, but need to find written evidence. Only very stupid cartels put stuff in writing.

They don't need to find written evidence at all. There was no written evidence when the Citroen dealers were prosecuted for price fixing.
    Are you denying fuel retailers have been prosecuted for price fixing?

I've never heard of any, hence I'm asking for proof. You seem sure its happened, so furnish the proof.

I've checked myself and can find only one case, involving a distributor who no longer exists (not retailers) and from nine years ago. Care to find the other ones you insist exist?
    How about you argue the point, and not the person. Several post now attacking me personally. A sign you're getting desperate?

A sign that you're rehashing the same, baseless argument over and over again and refusing to accept anyone puts forward that might prove you wrong. Its like arguing with a brick wall.

• Advertisement

The Competition Authority still frequently receives complaints from members of the public concerning alleged collusion in the setting of prices at fuel pumps. Such complaints typically are based on the observation that price movements at different stations tend to occur around the same time. This kind of behaviour is referred to as ‘price following behaviour’ or ‘parallel pricing behaviour’.

Parallel pricing is said to occur when the prices of firms in a market change
    together in a largely parallel fashion. Parallel pricing is inherently ambiguous;
    similar prices can be the result of intense competition driving prices down to the true cost of the product or they can reflect a cartel arrangement. For example, price changes which, over time, are so regular and systematic that they cannot be explained in the absence of some kind of contact, are indicative of a cartel. Parallel pricing can be found in many industries, but especially in industries where:
    • Prices are transparent;
    • There is an absence of differentiation between sellers’ products;
    • There is stability in demand;
    • Demand is not very responsive to changes in the price level; and,
    • Where sellers’ costs and cost structures are similar.
    The retail motor fuels sector has many of these features. For example, the fact that retailers are required under consumer law to prominently display their prices means that it is easy for retailers to keep an eye on one another without ever having to discuss prices. Just because, on the face of it, it appears that there is little need to collude does not mean that there is no collusion. However, the Competition Authority needs evidence, not alone to prosecute, but even to get a search warrant. Hard core cartel offences are treated by the Competition Authority as criminal while all other agreements are civil. Action by the Competition Authority requires us to demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that competing firms have actually agreed to fix prices. This requires hard evidence, beyond parallel pricing, of collusion.

Hard evidence includes documentary evidence uncovered during searches, admissions by those being searched, statements by an immunity witness, photographs, videos and statements of those responsible for the surveillance and voluntary statements made by witnesses.

You deliberately missed the "similar prices can be the result of intense competition". Which is what is the sole case in fuel retailing.

You're not worthy of wasting more of my time on in this case.

I've never heard of any, hence I'm asking for proof. You seem sure its happened, so furnish the proof.

I've checked myself and can find only one case, involving a distributor who no longer exists (not retailers) and from nine years ago. Care to find the other ones you insist exist?
    It happened or it didn't. Which is it?
    The Competition Authority invoked its powers to bring criminal prosecutions in price fixing cases when it prosecuted Estuary Fuel Limited on charges of entering into and implementing an agreement to fix the price at which motor fuels were sold by a filling station in Tralee.

I said I wouldn't post again, but one last time:

Estuary were a DISTRIBUTOR not a retailer. They no longer exist.

You deliberately missed the "similar prices can be the result of intense competition". Which is what is the sole case in fuel retailing.
    And you deliberately missed "or they can reflect a cartel arrangement."
    MYOB wrote:
    You're not worthy of wasting more of my time on in this case.
    Cos you're losing, maybe?

Estuary were a DISTRIBUTOR not a retailer. They no longer exist.
    I've bought petrol from Estuary (40 service stations) retail many times. Once again, just for you:
    implementing an agreement to fix the price at which motor fuels were sold by a filling station in Tralee.

Cos you're losing, maybe?

Um. No. Because I know when to back away from arguing with a brick wall.

A cartel would require more than one distributor to be doing it, by the way. You need to look that up in a dictionary when you finally learn what "monopoly" and "oligopoly" as you've misused before actually mean.

A cartel would require more than one distributor to be doing it, by the way.
    Retailers! cf the CA statement above.
    You need to look that up in a dictionary when you finally learn what "monopoly" and "oligopoly" as you've misused before actually mean.
    Going back to that. You're getting desperate now! LOL!

I've bought petrol from Estuary (40 service stations) retail many times. Once again, just for you:

40 franchisees. And gone, as you've just proven with that link.

40 franchisees.
    One of which was proven to be operating a cartel in the fuel retailing business.
    MYOB wrote:
    And gone, as you've just proven with that link.
    Not really relevant is it? Operating a cartel is operating a cartel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Jesus this is getting cringeworthy.

keep digging, your right and everyone is wrong
    :rolleyes:

Retailers! cf the CA statement above.

Going back to that. You're getting desperate now! LOL!

You don't know what "cartel" means
    You don't know what "monopoly" means
    You don't know what "oligopoly" means
    You don't know the difference between a distributor and a retailer
    You don't know the difference between a franchiser and a franchisee
    I dare not contemplate how you'd cope with the idea of a distributor that has a retail and a franchise element, based on the above.

You also don't know a thing about the fuel industry other than a self-righteous sense of "I'm being ripped off!".

THIS is why its like arguing with a brick wall.

You don't know what "cartel" means
    You don't know what "monopoly" means
    You don't know what "oligopoly" means
    You don't know the difference between a distributor and a retailer
    You don't know the difference between a franchiser and a franchisee
    I dare not contemplate how you'd cope with the idea of a distributor that has a retail and a franchise element, based on the above.

You also don't know a thing about the fuel industry other than a self-righteous sense of "I'm being ripped off!".

THIS is why its like arguing with a brick wall.

Make sweeping statesments, or prove me wrong, if you're able to :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If anyone is driving through Clare, it might be worth stopping in Ennis!

Diesel is only 117.9 at the two stations on the road to Lahinch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Mc Love wrote: »
    If anyone is driving through Clare, it might be worth stopping in Ennis!
    Diesel is only 117.9 at the two stations on the road to Lahinch
    I paid 115.7 last night in Clonmel for Diesel. Probably the cheapest fuel around.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

117.9c a litre of the durty stuff in Bracetown Topaz today (near Dunboyne). Mind you their prices are up and down like a yoyo at the minute, so that price could be different in the morning.

127.9c for petrol in the same place today so my wife tells me. Was 129.9c there when I filled up on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is there a place heading out from the city on the Drumcondra road that charges 114.9 for diesel? Saw it on the 41 bus heading towards Swords!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Drove by a garage in Dundalk selling diesel for 113.9. Didn't see what petrol was. Independent garage on the right hand side as you drive the old Newry road out of the town, if anyone is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭zoom_cool

Maxol garage at finnstown is 117.9c for diesel got it today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Just to let you guys in the Drogheda area know, that new Tesco petrol station has opened. Diesel 111.9 and I THINK petrol is 120.9

Advertisement