Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol €132.9 Diesel €123.9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure about this but, as far as i can recall, the last time prices were this high, oil traded at well over $100 per barrel, so if its only $83 per barrel now, why are we paying so god damn high???

Exactly, have our govenrment added that much in extra taxes to it?

Petrol is 125.9 in my local Texaco:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fiskar wrote: »
    In reality, they are only implementing EU directive on said items!

Water is a favorite EU item, paid for in many states but not here!

France threw the carbon tax out on Constitutional grounds - wtf are we paying it for ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

out of desperation, can a car run on Poitín ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

fryup wrote: »

I'll buy you the fuel, if you give me the poitin !!!

:;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

fryup wrote: »

If you could purify it sufficiently, and distill it to as near pure alcohol as possible- yes, but you'd knacker the engine in no time flat.

It makes excellent deicer for windscreens in cold weather- though I'd imagine it wouldn't do the rubber seals for windows etc any good......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

Cant a diesel engine run on vegetable oil of you mix it 50/50 with normal diesel.

Go down to aldi and stock up on vegetable oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    Cant a diesel engine run on vegetable oil of you mix it 50/50 with normal diesel.
    Yes, it can run on it easily. Depending on the engine design of course. Basically all the properly engineered cars can be run on that mixture without any conversion needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Exactly, have our govenrment added that much in extra taxes to it?

Petrol is 125.9 in my local Texaco:(

..tbh, not that I know of. And it's usually in the 1c/litre region if they did, so I'm failing to see where this hike is coming from.

Either way, I've already emailed my local politico.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm not 100% sure about this but, as far as i can recall, the last time prices were this high, oil traded at well over $100 per barrel, so if its only $83 per barrel now, why are we paying so god damn high???

We now have the carbon tax adding a few cent per litre and also the dollar is a bit stronger than it was back in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Use to be a cheap place on the way into Ardee. Noticed it was at 1.27 and 1.17 today
    Cheap fuel is gone for good I would say now.

• Advertisement

Whats the cheapest vegetable oil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

1.33.90 in Fermoy. There was 2 stations and as soon as one closed down for a revamp, the other went crazy with prices. Now I go out of my way not to give them the business cause they were so fupping greedy. Massive new station currently being built tho. But seriously, pretty much 1.44 per litre is a joke. Why is there not more public outcry on this seen as it's probably the most expensive it's ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If you have a high priced garage - you should go and try and let motorists know not to buy fuel there and see if they bring their prices down.

If only we lived in an ideal world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Don't know if the website below has been posted?

http://www.pumps.ie/

It's getting very obvious that the price of fuel is rising pretty dramatically over the past few weeks, 124 cent is now regularly 130 cent posted on garages,
    Memories of summer 2007 are starting to come back :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

The increase is due to the Exchange Rate between Dollar and Euro more than the price of a barrel of Oil.

Soon fuel prices will be level with that in Northern Ireland - just another reason to head north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Texaco on Merrion road now 121.9c for diesel. Although they were always expensive. Maxol on Constitution Hill is usually one of the cheapest in Dublin that I pass regularly. 117.9 yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Nearly all the places in Athlone are in around the 1.17 mark for deisel. Had to fill up the other day and ended up almost doing a full circuit of town as there were queues to get into almost all the petrol stations

Did ya try the old garage in Blry Insd estate, used to be the cheapest a few years ago when i worked down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Hammertime wrote: »
    Topaz spent close to 300m euro on statoil/esso sites at the very height of the boom.

Their model is very flawed and they don't really have a clue what they are doing, which is obvious when you walk into one of their sites. They are really struggling

Well I don't feel one bit sorry for them.

The must have used the same business model as most poser bars in Dublin.

Spend millions on premises then charge the customer for the privilege & experience.

Simple!

molloyjazz wrote: »
    I dont get people who do this, its plain retarded imho.. think about the environment ffs!

That's the attitude Mr. Rip-off garage owner wants. Do you think he cares much for the environment?

• Advertisement

I had this argument before with someone & I was told at the time € was stronger than the $. All oil transactions are in $'s for some reason.

Anyway, it's all fixed so that we're paying maximum price wherever. The fact cars (esp diesels) are more & more efficient means they're using less. They don't want us to use less so the price will go up to make up for loss in profit.

Either way were just being played with by these oil companies. The literally own the planet.

If a guy invented an engine that runs on water tomorrow we'd never hear about it. The technology would be bought up & he'd quiet possibly go missing.

Why do you think solar panels & large rechargeable batteries & all technology associated with it are so expensive?

The oil companies own the technology :mad:

Go down to aldi and stock up on vegetable oil.

As far as I know most older turbo diesels (10 years & older) can run on 50/50 with not much problem.

The newer common rail diesels won't & can't as the vegetable oil is too thick.

It's possible with a heater on the fuel line to preheat the oil before it reaches the engine so it's more viscous but I think there needs to be a filter to remove excess moister too.

It's not so straight forward with newer diesel engines unfortunately.

I think if you're caught with veg oil in your tank it's just the same as burning the green diesel as you haven't paid the duty on the oil as a fuel!! :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tesco Maynooth still 116.9 for diesel, 126.9 for petrol
    Filled up this AM......

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

smccarrick wrote: »
    Tesco Maynooth still 116.9 for diesel, 126.9 for petrol
    Filled up this AM......

I'll be passing through Maynooth tomorrow. Must fill up if it's still the same.

barochoc wrote: »
    As far as I know most older turbo diesels (10 years & older) can run on 50/50 with not much problem.

The newer common rail diesels won't & can't as the vegetable oil is too thick.

It's possible with a heater on the fuel line to preheat the oil before it reaches the engine so it's more viscous but I think there needs to be a filter to remove excess moister too.

It's not so straight forward with newer diesel engines unfortunately.

I think if you're caught with veg oil in your tank it's just the same as burning the green diesel as you haven't paid the duty on the oil as a fuel!! :(

You sure about all that.
    Mechanics have told me that its the newer engines that will run on veg oil without being modified.
    Heating oil makes it less viscous, not more viscous.
    I havent heard about the cops dipping for vegetable oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

You sure about all that.
    Mechanics have told me that its the newer engines that will run on veg oil without being modified.
    Which newly designed engine will run on PPO without any modification? I bet you would not be able to run it for more than a few miles down the road, before all that electronic rubbish cuts it off.

You sure about all that.

Some modern engines have fuel coolers, veg oil can also be thinned but what you use to thin it depends on your fuel pump and sensors as alcohols can strip some sensors and damage fuel pumps (VP44 fuel pump gets damaged by alcohol), petrol/kerosene/alcohol can all be used in differing mixes depending on the outside temperature and type of engine.

Oil thickness isnt the only problem when it comes to running a diesel on veg oil - veg oil has a higher autoignition temp than diesel meaning that in an unmodified engine the oil isnt burning completely leading to hard start ups and carbon build up. End result can be the need to rebuild the engine or get a new one especially if the unburnt veg oil leaks into the engine oil. You can get vegetable oil based engine oil which prevents the engine seizing up if the veg oil leaks into it. (over time the leakage causes the engine oil to turn to jelly!)

You can make modifications to a modern diesel to allow it to run 100% on veg oil without a second fuel tank like in conventional conversion kits.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2008/0709/1215537641167.html

http://communications.nuim.ie/080708.shtml

http://www.idaireland.com/news-media/featured-news/irelands-young-innovators/index.xml

You sure about all that.

Well I didn't want to get anal about it but heating oil of almost any description will make it more viscous.

You may not have heard about the cops dipping for veg oil because they don't. I'm sure it's customs & excise that dip your tank to see what the mix is like. If you're burning 50/50 diesel/oil they'll be asking questions as to what you're burning.

It's the same thing as burning green diesel or what ever you call that stuff farmers use. You will be expected to pay the fuel excise on the veg oil & probably a fine too.

Can you give me the number of a mechanic that will guarantee my 2.0 HDI engine won't grind to a halt & my fuel pump won't break if I use 50/50 diesel/veg oil, even 75/25 diesel/veg oil. Will he tow & fix my car when it's broken down 2-3Km from my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

barochoc wrote: »
    Well I didn't want to get anal about it but heating oil of almost any description will make it more viscous.

You may not have heard about the cops dipping for veg oil because they don't. I'm sure it's customs & excise that dip your tank to see what the mix is like. If you're burning 50/50 diesel/oil they'll be asking questions as to what you're burning.

It's the same thing as burning green diesel or what ever you call that stuff farmers use. You will be expected to pay the fuel excise on the veg oil & probably a fine too.

Can you give me the number of a mechanic that will guarantee my 2.0 HDI engine won't grind to a halt & my fuel pump won't break if I use 50/50 diesel/veg oil, even 75/25 diesel/veg oil. Will he tow & fix my car when it's broken down 2-3Km from my house?

Just declare 100 liters a year and you'll be grand.

Theres no dye to check for either so dont know how they'd check.

AFAIK the Fuel pump is the big factor, Lucas being bad and Bosch being good:
    http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/database/index.php

Theres no definitive research on it as anyone with a new diesel hasnt done it due to the risk.

I tried it out on my 1.9 TDI Skoda and it worked fine, was damn rough to start in the morning though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah the price increase lately is fairly hefty alright..

Havent been doing much driving lately so havent needed to fill up the car, usually was just throwing in €30-€40 a time and it suffices for the week or more, but had to fill it the other day and cost me €85, nearly choked on my coffee when I saw the final amount, thought I had a leak in the tank :D

Tox

Advertisement