Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol €132.9 Diesel €123.9

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Here's the breakdown as of today's refinery prices

Cost from refinery Petrol 44c Diesel 42c (prices from Bloomberg.com)
    Duty/NORA/ Carbon Tax Petrol 56.48c Diesel 47.02c
    Distributor & Retailer margin combined 10c
    Total Price Petrol 110.48c Diesel 99.02c
    + VAT means petrol will be retailing at 1.33 & diesel at 1.20 in the very near future.

On average a busy station gets 3 deliveries a week so prices can change in a locality very quickly.

To go further with price explanation - current refinery price is $2.27 per US Gallon (3.8 litres - smaller than UK gallon). Current exchange rate is $1.36.

Take 2.27, divide by 3.8, further dived by 1.36 and this equates to the euro price per litre that the refinery charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Going back to the OP, Kells is always overpriced anyway in my experience (pass through it daily).

Depending on where you're going there's a garage out in Oldcastle (on the Meath/Cavan border) that's always about 5c per litre cheaper than the norm.

Bigger problem is that after 11pm there's no petrol stations open between Navan and Cavan town.. wouldn't want to be stuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

barochoc wrote: »
    For some of us that refuse to pay for the owners (of the garage) nice shinny Merc it's not really hassle. I generally plan my routes well so I can top up with the cheaper fuel. But I have been known to make a trip when stuck if it was 3-4c cheaper. Even though I may not have saved I feel better for not lining the scroungers pockets & pay for his apartments all over Europe.

If I ran out of fuel or was going to, €1 top up would do me in a Topaz to get me to the next station. I don't understand their prices. Apparently your car goes further on their fuel, well that's true in one way for me.

I can't get far enough away from them in the first place!! :D

I dont get people who do this, its plain retarded imho.. think about the environment ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Absurdum wrote: »
    I presume that'll be rounded up to 2c since it seems that every station prices fuel at xxx.9c per litre?

No, after the vat is added the increase is 1.94 cents, so it will be rounded up by .06 of a cent.

Derv went up by just over half a cent. But that won't be passed on to customers.

For some of us that refuse to pay for the owners (of the garage) nice shinny Merc it's not really hassle. I generally plan my routes well so I can top up with the cheaper fuel. But I have been known to make a trip when stuck if it was 3-4c cheaper. Even though I may not have saved I feel better for not lining the scroungers pockets & pay for his apartments all over Europe.

If I ran out of fuel or was going to, €1 top up would do me in a Topaz to get me to the next station. I don't understand their prices. Apparently your car goes further on their fuel, well that's true in one way for me.

I can't get far enough away from them in the first place!! :D

You are I presume aware that basically none of the petrol you buy goes towards paying for that shiny merc as the margins are miniscule. And that all garages will make more profit off their sales of bags of crisps in a year than they will off all their UNL and Derv sales combined ?

So you can keep topping up by a euro and then driving to the next garage. Just don't buy a bag of king to keep you going during the journey.

• Advertisement

cadaliac wrote: »
    What are you talking about? The refineries do not charge different prices to different stations.

Yes they do

Of course the stations can do something about it!

No quite often they cannot

A fluctuation of 20c per liter between different stations is robbery. End of.

If you want to explain exactly why it's robbery I'll happily reply and prove EXACTLY why it isn't, or are you just ranting without any real knowledge of why garages fluctuate in prices?

Yes, I know that different stations are bigger and have more overheads but you or anyone else simply cannot justify a price difference of (in some cases) more than 20c per liter. Madness.

No it's very logical really.

My experience on the road with Topaz is they're the most expensive fuel everywhere & I've no idea why people buy it. Shop around.

They charge on average 3-4c more than neighboring stations in any town. Can any one explain why?

I filled up in Tesco's Cashel @ 111.9c for diesel on Sunday!!! Hard to beat that.

Use pumps.ie for the cheapest fuel close to you & never fill up if you're heading down south in my opinion as you'll always find cheaper fuel. No idea why :confused:

Topaz spent close to 300m euro on statoil/esso sites at the very height of the boom.

Their model is very flawed and they don't really have a clue what they are doing, which is obvious when you walk into one of their sites. They are really struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Nearly all the places in Athlone are in around the 1.17 mark for deisel. Had to fill up the other day and ended up almost doing a full circuit of town as there were queues to get into almost all the petrol stations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Topaz shouldn't exist in its current (massive) form, but are as a result of a monumental fsck up by the Competition Authority, who by their own admission were asleep on the job.

Kells is being bypassed soon isn't it? Maybe the petrol retailers are trying to make hay while the sun still shines?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

JHMEG wrote: »
    Kells is being bypassed soon isn't it? Maybe the petrol retailers are trying to make hay while the sun still shines?
    True, in which case the three garages on the road to Virginia (one on the right just beyond the exit of the M3, and two at the Oldcastle/Cross junction) will be next in line to make a killing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Hammertime wrote: »
    Topaz spent close to 300m euro on statoil/esso sites at the very height of the boom.

Their model is very flawed and they don't really have a clue what they are doing, which is obvious when you walk into one of their sites. They are really struggling

They also sold a lot of the excess sites to developers and the end net cost was substantially less.

Also 2/3rds of the topaz stations are independent garages that trade under the Topaz name - same as Maxol or in non fuel business similar to centra / supervalue / spar etc.

As above, less than 10c per litre goes to pay for storage of fuel in docks, trasferring to tankers, delivery to stations, marketing costs, distribution office costs, rent on stations, rates, staff, ultilities, drive aways etc.

It is NOT a profitable business unless you can sell sandwiches, lotto etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My experience on the road with Topaz is they're the most expensive fuel everywhere & I've no idea why people buy it. Shop around.

They charge on average 3-4c more than neighboring stations in any town. Can any one explain why?

Not exactly.

The one in Roxboro charges one of the lowest prices in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I used to watch petrol prices like a hawk, but no I couldn't give two hoots because every garage in my locality is within 2 cents per litre of each other.

Not only that, I've switched exclusively to Maxol E5 and haven't used anything else in over 6 months.
    Will be filling up tomorrow, if its €1.32 i'll be looking at €110 for a fill. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

i dont know if he is still this cheap, but last friday i filled up at the small garage on the left heading out along mell on the slane road of drogheda. it's the one acrosss from aldi at the corner for the cement road. i have to give this lad credit as he had diesel at 110.9. i know the garage in kells that the op was on about and he seems like the dearest around at the moment.years ago, he was the cheapest in kells.it has always been the esso as the dearest(to compensate for the car showrooms).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Not only that, I've switched exclusively to Maxol E5 and haven't used anything else in over 6 months.

I'm the same,what differences have you noticed in power/economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

mad dave wrote: »
    i dont know if he is still this cheap, but last friday i filled up at the small garage on the left heading out along mell on the slane road of drogheda. it's the one acrosss from aldi at the corner for the cement road. i have to give this lad credit as he had diesel at 110.9. i know the garage in kells that the op was on about and he seems like the dearest around at the moment.years ago, he was the cheapest in kells.it has always been the esso as the dearest(to compensate for the car showrooms).

I have to go to Drogheda on Monday, I must check this out.
    Also the Kells lad makes a killing on the lunchtime trade as students from both schools seem to congregate there. Pity he didn't keep his prices down, but it's hard to pull up there at the best of times.
    Must try the oldcastle guy someone mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm the same,what differences have you noticed in power/economy?

Not a whole lot to be honest, I did a full service around the time I started using it so the car was running great after anyways. Just getting it out of habit at this stage really, it seems to be the best available.

What about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Not a whole lot to be honest, I did a full service around the time I started using it so the car was running great after anyways. Just getting it out of habit at this stage really, it seems to be the best available.

What about yourself?

I would like to think Ive seen an increase in power,car was serviced last week so Its running much better now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Will be filling up tomorrow, if its €1.32 i'll be looking at €110 for a fill. :(

I'm the same. Since getting the 2.0 TFSI I've been using this. I have one bad habit mind. Since I only have the car 5-6 weeks, I like to see what I am getting from brim to empty, and therefore on one or two occasions when I was in desperate need of fuel, I had to pull in somewhere else.

It gets annoying as I want the engine running off the optimum stuff all the time. I'll literally pay €5 at the emergency station until I get myself to a Maxol selling E5. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Fiskar wrote: »
    In reality, they are only implementing EU directive on said items!

And the government still has the bare-faced cheek to say that we retain full control over our taxes.

Anyhoo, back to the subject in question, I'd always try and fill up in an Applegreen station. The two nearest to me are in Palmerston and the one near Rathcoole so I'd regularly be passing by them and fill up there.

Pity Superquinn aren't doing the 5c off petrol with Maxol. That was great before Christmas. I was only paying 113.9 or 114.9 for petrol.
    I'll now be paying in the region of 130.9 now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

Macca3000 wrote: »
    I have to go to Drogheda on Monday, I must check this out.
    Also the Kells lad makes a killing on the lunchtime trade as students from both schools seem to congregate there. Pity he didn't keep his prices down, but it's hard to pull up there at the best of times.
    Must try the oldcastle guy someone mentioned earlier.

this bloke seems to sell diesel only, did'nt see any petrol pumps there but still very cheap......
    maybe other garages can follow the same example.
    in the past i heard that there was only between 4 and 6% profit to the garage owners on petrol and diesel.
    what excuse can this kells garage give by charging 129.9 on diesel?
    besides that, the maxol(or maybe top)on the virginia road in oldcastle oftens gives great value compared to the main n3

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're now offering shop products vouchers to people who buy a lot of fuel - a €20 voucher if you use 500l a quarter on fuelcards. Surely thats the entire fuel profit margin and more gone?

Compared to the pissant extra in Nectar point syou get back from BP for using a huge amount of Ultimate 97 (which I somehow managed to one quarter!) its ridiculously generous.
    And that all garages will make more profit off their sales of bags of crisps in a year than they will off all their UNL and Derv sales combined ?

So you can keep topping up by a euro and then driving to the next garage. Just don't buy a bag of king to keep you going during the journey.

When I said similar about two years ago (that I know an unfranchised station that makes more off phone credit than fuel, but knows that without the fuel he'd lose about 70% of his shop sales) I had people insisting I was lying!

Is the fuel with applegreen ok though? Have heard bad things about their fuel. How are they charging so little for it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mc Love wrote: »
    Is the fuel with applegreen ok though? Have heard bad things about their fuel. How are they charging so little for it?

Regular price for Applegreen diesel in Celbridge went up 3c a litre today- to 119.9.......

I don't think they are in fact the cheapest around......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

I'm not 100% sure about this but, as far as i can recall, the last time prices were this high, oil traded at well over $100 per barrel, so if its only $83 per barrel now, why are we paying so god damn high???

Just on the N3 today between Blanchardstown and (almost) Cavan town, the cheapest I saw was 126.9 and 117.9

The happy buzz of finding a part time job last month is slowly being replaced lol. We really need a decent transport system.

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Just on the N3 today between Blanchardstown and (almost) Cavan town, the cheapest I saw was 126.9 and 117.9

The happy buzz of finding a part time job last month is slowly being replaced lol. We really need a decent transport system.

Both the esso and the campus in dunshaughlin are 125.9 and 115.9, also the topaz at the sheaf of wheat between blanch and dunshaughlin is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Cheap DERV on the Airport to Santry road in Dublin last weekend. Two of those self-service (i.e. ghost town chip and pin only) stations selling at 113.9 and 112.9. Was up north too where diesel is about 10p a liter more expensive than petrol! Must be the peace process, less demand for petrol.....

Both the esso and the campus in dunshaughlin are 125.9 and 115.9, also the topaz at the sheaf of wheat between blanch and dunshaughlin is the same

Totally missed that. I wasn't actively looking out for prices though. Be up again on Sunday, I'll keep a keener eye out.:)

• Advertisement

Chawkes in Castletroy were one of the cheapest for a few weeks. Now they have pushed their prices up close to the ones mentioned in the title of this thread

Advertisement