Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol €132.9 Diesel €123.9

Options

Comments

I tried it out on my 1.9 TDI Skoda and it worked fine, was damn rough to start in the morning though.

It was rough in the morning because the engine was at its coldest the fuel wasnt burning completely which would eventually wreck the engine. Advancing the injection timing would make it start easier and run smoother

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Just declare 100 liters a year and you'll be grand.

Theres no dye to check for either so dont know how they'd check.

AFAIK the Fuel pump is the big factor, Lucas being bad and Bosch being good:
    http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/database/index.php

Theres no definitive research on it as anyone with a new diesel hasnt done it due to the risk.

I tried it out on my 1.9 TDI Skoda and it worked fine, was damn rough to start in the morning though.

Well with veg oil being yellow & diesel being kinda clear, I would think it would be fairly obvious you're burning more than diesel.

Never knew about the 100 litres a year, must look that up.

Best of luck with your 1.9 TDi. I reckon you'll need it.

Best to just buy an old Massey Ferguson & transplant the engine in to your car instead. Should get more life out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Hammertime wrote: »
    Both the esso and the campus in dunshaughlin are 125.9 and 115.9, also the topaz at the sheaf of wheat between blanch and dunshaughlin is the same

I used to use both of those in Dunshaughlin regularly. The Esso employs an African family ... well, maybe they aren't related, but they all have the same big chip on their shoulders. I think they lend it to each other at shift change. If you get a grunt from any of them it's a positive thing.

Anyone passing through there should use the Campus on the Navan side of town. Staff are great and I hear the owners on ok bloke as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

134.7 for Petrol in Fermoy. It seems to be going up a cent every day.. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well feck this!! bring on electric cars thats what i say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

fryup wrote: »

And you really think electricity is any cheaper here? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

fryup wrote: »

Yep I can't wait for this, we'll make a fortune charging people to fast-charge their cars on the forecourt.

The margin will be about 20 times more than the margin on fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yep I can't wait for this, we'll make a fortune charging people to fast-charge their cars on the forecourt.

Difference is you won't have the monopoly, with home charging (where the bulk will be done on cheap night saver electricity), charge points at shopping centres and offices etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

Right now the greens are telling us we are using too much fossil fuels so we shouldnt drive anymore.

When we go electric the green party will be out telling us not to drive anymore because we are using too much electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

JHMEG wrote: »
    Difference is you won't have the monopoly, with home charging (where the bulk will be done on cheap night saver electricity), charge points at shopping centres and offices etc.

Relax I'm only joking

I intend to be very very far away from the fuel business when the auld 4 wheeled duracells come in!
    :)

• Advertisement

Relax I'm only joking

I intend to be very very far away from the fuel business when the auld 4 wheeled duracells come in!
    :)

Lol....
    If I could get me an electric Tesla roadster (without reliability issues!) I'd be a happy bunny.....

Back on topic- I need another tank of diesel (my second this week- eek!) in the Lucan/Celbridge/Maynooth area........ Where is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

1.27 and 1.15 in the TOP garage outside Oldcastle. Someone recommended a few posts back. Filled up this morning cost me 68€:eek:

Getting a new diesel motor next week but by the looks of things I'll be paying as much to fill it up. Only hopefully not as often.

A mate has an S320 - a fill has been costing him over €100 for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I don't get your point about monopoly.

No petrol station has a monopoly.

Anyone can own a petrol station.

Anyone can import fuel if they want to (might cost a bit to start up the business, but it can be done).

What makes you think that a petrol station has a monopoly?

I agree- I can setup a biodiesel recycling unit in the garage- for less than a grand (though I would have to find somewhere to get rid of all the glycerine I'd produce as a by-product........)

Wonder what the story is with having to pay duty on biofuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Whats the best garage for diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

A mate has an S320 - a fill has been costing him over €100 for some time now.

What MPG is he getting?

What MPG is he getting?

And what size fuel tank does he have?

I've an extended 'touring' tank in my car- but its only 80ltr- even if I was running on fumes- it still costs me around EUR90 to fill.......(though with the recent rises, this obviously is going to change.........)

P.C. wrote: »
    I don't get your point about monopoly.
    Simple really. Imagine if it was like now except instead of just petrol stations supplying fuel, you had a pump supplied by ESB/BGE/Airtricity/insert_name in your house, at work, at the supermarket, at the parking meter on the highstreet.

smccarrick wrote: »
    And what size fuel tank does he have?

88 litre, but a fill from empty is 83/84. He gets about 20 mpg.

• Advertisement

20MPG? Thats shocking......
    I've a 2ltr TDI and get 35-50 (depending on Sports/Extra-Urban/Motorway settings)......

I suppose if he isn't doing a lot of driving and just wants the comfort for short distances, its not too bad- but by god, thats an appalling MPG.....

smccarrick wrote: »
    20MPG? Thats shocking......
    I would have thought it's about average for a 1.8 tonne car with a 3.2 L petrol engine and automatic transmission.

I would have thought it's about average for a 1.8 tonne car with a 3.2 L petrol engine and automatic transmission.

Perhaps- I hadn't factored the 3.2ltr petrol into the equation

Simple really. Imagine if it was like now except instead of just petrol stations supplying fuel, you had a pump supplied by ESB/BGE/Airtricity/insert_name in your house, at work, at the supermarket, at the parking meter on the highstreet.

As it is now, supermarkets sell petrol, shops sell petrol, and last year I filled up on a main street, and paid inside the pub - so, nothing will change then?

So, if you are saying that petrol stations have a monopoly on selling petrol, someone better report that pub, and Tesco.

Selling petrol in this country is not a monopoly, and as I posted before, any person or company can get into the industry if they want to.

P.C. wrote: »
    any person or company can get into the industry if they want to.
    If they can get planning permission, which often they won't. I know, I tried.

Most people have mains sockets in their house.

Very few pubs sell petrol. Only one supermaket in Ireland does, and only at a handful of locations. The vast bulk of petrol sold in this country is sold by big oil or fuel companies, or their franchisees.

If they can get planning permission, which often they won't. I know, I tried.

Most people have mains sockets in their house.

Very few pubs sell petrol. Only one supermaket in Ireland does, and only at a handful of locations. The vast bulk of petrol sold in this country is sold by big oil or fuel companies, or their franchisees.

So, you do agree that it is not a monopoly.

And if you don't, then you have to agree that the supply of electricity is also a monopoly, as there are only three companies that I know of that sell electricity in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Mines the same, 2.8l, 20MPG with city driving and €108 to fill. Good job its only done once a fortnight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only one supermaket in Ireland does, and only at a handful of locations. The vast bulk of petrol sold in this country is sold by big oil or fuel companies, or their franchisees.

The surprisingly large number of petrol stations solely branded as a convenience store chain might disagree with that...

Outside of cities a fair proportion of fuel is sold by small retailers with either a barely active or no franchise. Ever notice the massive numbers of small rural stations still displaying Statoil or Tedcastles (as Tedcastles not TOP)? Doubt they've paid their franchise fees in a while.

Then theres ones who's franchise is to a tiny chain - Amber, Swift, Go, Gulf. And considering they don't actually do any prospecting, I wouldn't call Topaz, Petrogas (Applegreen/Discount Fuel Deals + a lot of unbranded stations), Maxol, Top and DCC (Emo/GreatGas) "oil companies". Retail brands, perhaps.

Esso and Texaco are the only oil companies selling fuel to consumers in Ireland. And its certainly far from a monopoly. Could even be the most competitive sub-sector of retail there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The problem is guys, however expensive fuel gets, we will never do anything about it. We'll just moan down the pub and carry on paying it.

My biggest worry is heating the house next winter if the next winter is as cold as this one. Carbon tax on Heating oil will increase the price of heating oil.

Hopefully Northern Irish companies will start delivering south (Im sure they can as they are in the EU)

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Esso and Texaco are the only oil companies selling fuel to consumers in Ireland.
    Add in other fuel suppliers like Topaz and Maxol and you're at a near-monopoly.

Advertisement