Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol €132.9 Diesel €123.9

Options
  • 10-03-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

This was at a station in Kells.

It's a bit worrying the huge spike in prices so quickly. And by the looks of things it's only going to get worse. Oil is now trading at just below $83 a barrell for mid April delivery:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Christ on a bike !!:eek:
    Diesel €1.15 and (not sure petrol is €1.23) or so next to me (Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its the same at the Topaz station beside the Mid West Regional Hospital. Honestly dont know why anyone gets petrol there

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Problem is, around Kells anyway, as soon as one goes up they all follow suit. Barely 2c in difference between all 5 stations. So shopping around won't be much help.

In fairness though it's the oil price that's the problem. Not much the shops can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Problem is, around Kells anyway, as soon as one goes up they all follow suit. Barely 2c in difference between all 5 stations. So shopping around won't be much help.

In fairness though it's the oil price that's the problem. Not much the shops can do about that.

Whiffs of a cartel if you ask me. It's hardly like they all get a delivery on the same day, but as you say they won't wait to put up they're prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tesco in Maynooth is fairly local for me- but its normally at least 2-3c a litre more expensive than some of the other local alternates (e.g. Ted Castle in Celbridge, Maxol in Lucan etc). For about the first time ever its 2c cheaper than the next alternate. I filled up at 114.9 at the weekend......

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

:eek:
    €132.9 & €123.9 a litre is one helluva spike to be sure...
    ... or did you mean 132.9c & 123.9c :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

This will be about the standard price in about a week I'd imagine. For example unleaded goes up 1.6c a litre wholesale at midnight tonight

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

smccarrick wrote: »
    Tesco in Maynooth is fairly local for me- but its normally at least 2-3c a litre more expensive than some of the other local alternates (e.g. Ted Castle in Celbridge, Maxol in Lucan etc). For about the first time ever its 2c cheaper than the next alternate. I filled up at 114.9 at the weekend......

Wheres there a Top (Tedcastle) in Celbridge? Maxol, Esso and Tougher I know of, the Tougher can be cheap enough sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

This was at a station in Kells.

It's a bit worrying the huge spike in prices so quickly. And by the looks of things it's only going to get worse. Oil is now trading at just below $83 a barrell for mid April delivery:(

at that price it will cost me €6700 to fill the tank and i only get 550 miles
    that is €700 a day on fuel.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Mc Love wrote: »
    Its the same at the Topaz station beside the Mid West Regional Hospital. Honestly dont know why anyone gets petrol there

My experience on the road with Topaz is they're the most expensive fuel everywhere & I've no idea why people buy it. Shop around.

They charge on average 3-4c more than neighboring stations in any town. Can any one explain why?

I filled up in Tesco's Cashel @ 111.9c for diesel on Sunday!!! Hard to beat that.

Use pumps.ie for the cheapest fuel close to you & never fill up if you're heading down south in my opinion as you'll always find cheaper fuel. No idea why :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

To be fair, the difference between petrol @ 124c and 128c is approx. €50 over a year for a standard 1.4L. The difference is about €120 per year if you compare 124c and 132c though.

I've seen some people go 6 miles out of their way to save 3c per litre on a 53L tank - although it's just cost them 75c to get there! Driving 6 miles to save 84c is not worth the hassle.

:eek:
    €132.9 & €123.9 a litre is one helluva spike to be sure...
    ... or did you mean 132.9c & 123.9c :D

Hah, yes my bad, I did of course mean 132.9c & 123.9c;)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Say thanks to the Green Party for their new taxes... petrol, diesel, home heating fuels, and before long, they'll have us paying for our water.

The Greens have systematically crucified the ordinary working (& unemployed) person.

Thankfully, they will never see a second term.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Hammertime wrote: »
    This will be about the standard price in about a week I'd imagine. For example unleaded goes up 1.6c a litre wholesale at midnight tonight

What

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Hammertime wrote: »

I presume that'll be rounded up to 2c since it seems that every station prices fuel at xxx.9c per litre?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I love my diesel car. Its very green ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Say thanks to the Green Party for their new taxes... petrol, diesel, home heating fuels, and before long, they'll have us paying for our water.

The Greens have systematically crucified the ordinary working (& unemployed) person.

Thankfully, they will never see a second term.

In reality, they are only implementing EU directive on said items!

Water is a favorite EU item, paid for in many states but not here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

113.9c in Wexford for diesel at the weekend

Unfortunately I had paid 115.9c in Dublin before driving down :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Wow OP sounds like Rip off Republic in action. I was giving out about the price at my local pump at 123.9c but 132.9c that's a huge difference. Think Devils fuel was 113.9c.

Wow OP sounds like Rip off Republic in action. I was giving out about the price at my local pump at 123.9c but 132.9c that's a huge difference. Think Devils fuel was 113.9c.

Lol, we all got to do our part. Unfortunatly as I said before I don't think there is much the different stations can do. Still a bit of healthy competition wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Flyer1 wrote: »
    I love my diesel car. Its very green ;)

Shame it causes cancer and hurts my ears. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Confab wrote: »
    To be fair, the difference between petrol @ 124c and 128c is approx. €50 over a year for a standard 1.4L. The difference is about €120 per year if you compare 124c and 132c though.

I've seen some people go 6 miles out of their way to save 3c per litre on a 53L tank - although it's just cost them 75c to get there! Driving 6 miles to save 84c is not worth the hassle.

For some of us that refuse to pay for the owners (of the garage) nice shinny Merc it's not really hassle. I generally plan my routes well so I can top up with the cheaper fuel. But I have been known to make a trip when stuck if it was 3-4c cheaper. Even though I may not have saved I feel better for not lining the scroungers pockets & pay for his apartments all over Europe.

If I ran out of fuel or was going to, €1 top up would do me in a Topaz to get me to the next station. I don't understand their prices. Apparently your car goes further on their fuel, well that's true in one way for me.

I can't get far enough away from them in the first place!! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MYOB wrote: »
    Wheres there a Top (Tedcastle) in Celbridge? Maxol, Esso and Tougher I know of, the Tougher can be cheap enough sometimes.

Old Lucan road- before the cemetry? (unless I've gotten confused- which is possible). I thought that was a Top?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Lol, we all got to do our part. Unfortunatly as I said before I don't think there is much the different stations can do. Still a bit of healthy competition wouldn't go amiss.

What are you talking about? The refineries do not charge different prices to different stations.
    Of course the stations can do something about it!
    A fluctuation of 20c per liter between different stations is robbery. End of.
    Yes, I know that different stations are bigger and have more overheads but you or anyone else simply cannot justify a price difference of (in some cases) more than 20c per liter. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

http://www.pumps.ie/

I use this site regularly, I find it does help to narrow down the cheapest prices in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yet when the oil price drops, the shops claim it is entirely different!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

smccarrick wrote: »
    Old Lucan road- before the cemetry? (unless I've gotten confused- which is possible). I thought that was a Top?

Thats the Tougher, it was a Statoil before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Been seeing that Tesco lately is usually more expensive than my local stations.. Im in Tallaght and last week my local Topaz was cheaper than Tesco..

Apple green seems like the cheapest but its 3-4 miles away.. pain in said ass..

Advertisement