Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 milissa

HELLO

I just had a phone interview for math or computer teacher it just asked me some questions about my experience and my salary expectations and if I have friends in dubai and abu dhabi just that?
    at the end of the interview they say that iam accepted for the job or not?
    how it goes after please?

shell182 wrote: »
    Hey, any idea what tests they had to do for the maths jobs?

did you spent your interview or not yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 James Walsh 24

Hey Guys,

I starting in Dip Dubai in August wondering are they anyone else starting from Ireland ? Or if someone is there now and knows what its like accommodation etc

Also i haven't received my flights details and visas yet but i presume this is std enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 James Walsh 24

Also Has anyone taught Business and Economics ? Wondering how they found it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 shell182

milissa wrote: »
    did you spent your interview or not yet?

yeah iy was grand, a physics interview though

• Advertisement

shell182 wrote: »
    yeah iy was grand, a physics interview though

good ,they have already given you an answer or not yet ?
    they have not yet replied for me

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shell18244

milissa wrote: »
    good ,they have already given you an answer or not yet ?
    they have not yet replied for me

yeah i got a place teaching maths, i think i found out a day after the interview. Did you do yours yet?

shell18244 wrote: »
    yeah i got a place teaching maths, i think i found out a day after the interview. Did you do yours yet?
    hi
    oh really,I spent a short telephone interview three days ago but no answer at the moment
    thank you I wish you much success

hi
    oh realy,I spent a short telephone interview three days ago but no answer at the moment
    thank you I wish you much success

email them to see whats going on, they are just very slow. don't lose hope... good luck!

• Advertisement

Anyone know what kinda money you would need going over there? Is there much start up costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aoifeo23

Anyone know what kinda money you would need going over there? Is there much start up costs?

They sent me out an info pack at the start of the application process. In it they suggested 600US dollars approx for the first six weeks as we do not get paid until the end of sept.

email them to see whats going on, they are just very slow. don't lose hope... good luck!

thank tou shell18244

aoifeo23 wrote: »
    They sent me out an info pack at the start of the application process. In it they suggested 600US dollars approx for the first six weeks as we do not get paid until the end of sept.

Cool thanks a mil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 danvideo

Hey I got an email saying I'll be teaching in ISC Sharjah. It doesn't seem to be too out of the way and relatively close to Dubai. Anyone else heading there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 saaaraaah

Hi guys!

Anybody placed in the ISC AUH school in Abu Dhabi? Not even sure if thats where I'm really going, it all seems very vague! Did every body else's emails with contracts requesting documents etc say the name of the school you're being placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 prometheusface

danvideo wrote: »
    Hey I got an email saying I'll be teaching in ISC Sharjah. It doesn't seem to be too out of the way and relatively close to Dubai. Anyone else heading there?

Hi! I'm also going to ISC Sharjah, is there a Facebook page or anything for Sabis 2015? If not I'll set one up..handier than this.

Hi guys, anyone aware of a facebook page setup for Sabis 2015? I'm going to Sharjah, just found this thread here, delighted to see other people in the same boat!

Ya I joined it there yesterday! Anyone happen to know about the accommodation or lifestyle of teachers in Sharjah? I know its a dry city :/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

danvideo wrote: »
    Ya I joined it there yesterday! Anyone happen to know about the accommodation or lifestyle of teachers in Sharjah? I know its a dry city :/

Hi Dan, don't worry Sharjah is very close to Dubai so you can go there at the weekends. Some of the accommodation is near Ajman where you can buy cheap drink. There is different typed of accommodation but it's all grand, usually two teachers to an apartment.

• Advertisement

Thanks, what do the the teachers do in their spare time? I know theres a GAA pitch around.

Can anyone help me sort my attesting document stuff...seems like its gona cost hundreds!!! Like 600e..am I wrong? Please help..!!!

Ya it cost me abouts that i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

It really is quite remarkable that people will post on a thread asking for information, when said information exists in abundance.

I'm not talking about technical info, but info about this business. (Yup, that's what it is. and at many thousands of students paying 10k on average per year, a very, very wealthy business.)

Take a look at pages 18-20 or so, and read the comments. You have to ask yourself, why would there be so many negative posts about this 'school', and so very few positive posts - from those who have worked there.

Do reflect upon that.

I understand the desire for work, money, travel, and esp sunshine. But this school, the one in Sharjah, is not the place to start your career.

I worked in that school. It follows no appropriate procedures of any kind, educational or otherwise. It was a truly horrendous experience. (Sorry, I'm not going into detail, and not accepting PM's regarding same. Whether you believe me or not, is up to you.)

It is a money making business. Those at the top mgmt, who earn very good money, keep stum and play along with Il Duce.

I know it's tough to hear, but find another option. And do read through this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Sabis is not an organisation that I would recommend. Above all, it is a money making organisation that does not care about the welfare of children or staff. The directors are generally ruthless and do not care about the proper or appropriate delivery of education. I have never felt so bullied or intimidated in my life as I did when I was working with them. I had a great time living in the UAE and made friends for life- so in that regard it was a positive experience. However, if you are a qualified teacher, they are to be avoided like the plague. Their teaching methods go against everything we have been trained to do in western universities. They will undermine you and make you feel like everything that goes wrong in their outdated system is your fault. They do not acknowledge behavioural disorders and will blame the teacher for situations that are out of our control. There is no such thing as differentiation in this curriculum- so if a less able child is not achieving.. YOU will be blamed. You are not treated like a professional, you are treated like a naughty school child. Every Monday we had to endure half hour staff meetings which would slate us and tell us we were useless. They would say to our faces that we may as well go home because they could replace us within 24 hours. The behaviour in the schools is like nothing I have ever seen. Children run riot and your daily task becomes centred around crowd control, not teaching. Why do you think there are always so many vacancies for unqualified teachers? No one with experience in education would settle for the horrific standards. They get by on propaganda, luring Irish graduates over with the prospect of a tax free salary and various benefits. On the first two days of their 'training' they will fill your head with utter propaganda, making their beloved 'point system' out to be the the be all and end all of education. It's a cult like mindset, if I'm being honest.
    I'm not saying my entire experience was terrible, the UAE is a wonderful country. But those 8 hours working with those people was soul destroying. If you're looking for experience and are thick skinned, by all means go for it (Especially if you are given KG grades). But if you are a qualified teacher, avoid!! You will gain nothing professionally from such an experience. Hope this helps!
    This is a recent one, and this poster has five more relating to this business/ 'school'.

It's up to you folks, and I know some may attack the messenger, but you have to ask yourself, why? Why would all these different people post disparaging comments about this organisation? How would we profit from it?

The above poster only has 6 posts, and all about this school as i presume he/she was compelled to warn others. but some may say she's a sock-puppet or whatever.

Me, I've a lot more posts, and been around for quite a while.

Again, find another job option - UNLESS, you can take all of the negatives written about, and STILL feel it's for you. In that case, you may well rise up the ranks of SABIS fairly quickly.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maizy93

Hey, I applied for Sabis last week but I've heard to nothing back just a confirmation email. Is that a bad sign? :(

No i think they can be late getting back to you in general Maizy93

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ballinv123

Hi, anyone heading out to khalifa city in abu dhabi with sabis?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Clodagh91

ballinv123 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone heading out to khalifa city in abu dhabi with sabis?

Hi, yeah I am. ISC khalifa City a?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Rachel.Kerins

Hey guys there's a group on Facebook to make friends, talk to other people etc, just type in Sabis 2015 . :)

Advertisement