Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shell18244

hey I have a technical interview for a physics post. anyone here have to do anything similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 emily17

I heard the other day that I'm going to Yas Island Abu Dhabi! anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 shell182

In my experience, people who get jobs with the older grades are ones who have degrees relevant to what they want to teach, so you'd need an English degree if you wanted to teach English to the higher grades.
    They recruit specifically for higher grades so if you're offered a job, you will know what you're teaching and where. One of the maths teachers I know who teaches grade 11 and 12 had to do some tests before they got the job.

Have never heard of people moving up grades, generally SABIS like to keep you in the grades you're experienced in because they think they'll get better results.

Hey, any idea what tests they had to do for the maths jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jmurtagh3858

Anyone still waiting to hear from sabis? I got the email saying that my application was successful and was saved on their database but there was no open vacancies suitable for my profile, which was sent to me in April. Emailed them the other day and still waiting on a reply :/ Anyone else in the same boat? Whats the likelyhood of getting an offer? Getting more and more pesimistic about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Liquidsnack

I received an offer from them a month ago now, I accepted but haven't heard anything from them yet. I assume they're just shoring a load of cvs for when people back out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭RagsOBrien

Hey guys/girls,

I had my skype interview with SABIS last week and sent them my video cv and application form before that. I think it went fine. I had put down Doha as a 1st choice as I have a really god friend there and she loves it for the most part.

I got an email today asking if I would be interested in Muscat, Oman as they have no vacancies in Doha but have one there in my degree subjects. I replied in the positive. However, now I am questioning the authenticity of the 'vacancy' in Oman based on reading some of your posts about being led down the garden path by SABIS. I know that my friend applied in August 2013, was interviewed on the phone days later and hired within days. Apparently, they were desperate for an economics teacher and her degree is in economics. She hasn't had too many issues with the school but has warned me about the points system and the overcrowded classes and rigidity of the system. It doesn't bother me hugely as I am not a teacher in Ireland and am just looking to experience a different culture, travel in the region a good bit and save money. I believe this is achievable and of course, there are pros and cons to every situation.

Has anyone been hired for Muscat yet? If so in what subjects/grades? Any other information about Garda clearance and degree attestation in terms of hassle involved, cost and time taken would be appreciated. The friend has forgotten some of this now as her trip was organised in a bit of a flurry due to the sudden nature of her hiring by SABIS.

Thanks ( :

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Clodagh91

Hi Rags,

I accepted a place in Khalifa City in Abu Dhabi back in March - they got in contact with me in May asking to send over all relevant documents and I've only been able to send them off today!! However, one good thing is they asked initially to courier them but in the end they were happy for me to just scan them over - saving me a lot of money

I'd get my police clearance form sorted out now if i was you - good to have anyway in case you apply to any other teaching jobs. I actually just got a data protection form and they happily accepted that.

Sorting out my degree was the big effort - first i had to get in translated from Latin to English - I did this from the NUI website and it cost €50 for translation - then you need to get it authenticated bu the DFA which is €40 and the uae Embassy which was almost €150 and takes 6-7 working days if you go in in person.

altogether it was quite expensive and a hassle but i got there in the end. To top things off i just recently lost my passport (Just my luck) so am in the process of sorting that out now too.

In term of where you're going i can't really help there - to be completely honest all i can say is i wouldn't be too happy with that choice but that is just me. Don;t want to influence you're decision in going at all.

Hope this helps a few people :)

Clodagh91 wrote: »
    Hi Rags,

I accepted a place in Khalifa City in Abu Dhabi back in March - they got in contact with me in May asking to send over all relevant documents and I've only been able to send them off today!! However, one good thing is they asked initially to courier them but in the end they were happy for me to just scan them over - saving me a lot of money

I'd get my police clearance form sorted out now if i was you - good to have anyway in case you apply to any other teaching jobs. I actually just got a data protection form and they happily accepted that.

Sorting out my degree was the big effort - first i had to get in translated from Latin to English - I did this from the NUI website and it cost €50 for translation - then you need to get it authenticated bu the DFA which is €40 and the uae Embassy which was almost €150 and takes 6-7 working days if you go in in person.

altogether it was quite expensive and a hassle but i got there in the end. To top things off i just recently lost my passport (Just my luck) so am in the process of sorting that out now too.

In term of where you're going i can't really help there - to be completely honest all i can say is i wouldn't be too happy with that choice but that is just me. Don;t want to influence you're decision in going at all.

Hope this helps a few people :)

Thanks for the info. I am going to try and sort all the documents I need in the next few days but know it will probably take a few weeks to get Garda Clearance back and my translated degree will be 10 days apparently. That was handy that you didn't have to deliver them by courier as that would have been costly I imagine.

Oman definitely was not my first choice. I knew literally nothing about it until I went and looked it up online. It makes no odds really as I won't know anyone there anyway and would be the same for nearly all the other gulf schools except Doha. Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Khalifa might be more cosmopolitan and livelier but there are still going to be restrictions in certain regards no matter where you go in the Middle East no matter what state it is. Some are worse than others apparently.

Do you know anyone else in Khalifa? Did you go to the UAE embassy in Dublin to get your degree stamped/attested? Thanks

Hey I just got offered a position in Ruwais, AD ! I hear its very quiet.. anyone else here got offered it or worked there before? Ill be teaching primary school maths.

Hi guys,

Hope y'all are well? So I got my contract today and an offer of a teaching post in Muscat. I have 2 days to sign it. I have to go and get Garda clearance and my degree attested etc...

I was reading the contract there and the salary works out at 1900 euro per month. It mentions end of year service benefit at the end of the 1st year but doesn't state how much. There is no pay for July but there is in August (for teachers contracted for a 2nd year). Does anyone who has taught in SABIS know if a full salary is paid for the whole month of June and how much end of 1st year service benefits are?

It also mentions a bonus for the end of the 2nd year which seems to work out at about 5600 euro. This would be in addition to a 2nd year end of year service benefits amount but the amount is not specified.

My friend said she will be getting a 10,000 bonus shortly and she is at the end of her second year at the moment and returning next year. She also told me she got paid for the whole summer last year...perhaps she was referring to the end of year service benefits..If anyone could shed some light on this it would be great. I am trying to figure out how much I can save and will be coming out over a 2 year period.

FYI I am going to be teaching infants...not ideal I know but does salary vary according to what age group you get?

Many thanks ( :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Bashkim

Hi Everyone

I have Skype Interview after 3 days with SABIS. Anyone had interview lately ? what do they ask, could you please tell me your experience ? I need really bad this job, so i want to be prepared :( I appreciate your help.

Thank you
    my email: bathki(at)yahoo.com

Question for any women working in the region at the mo.. What would you normally wear to work? Are trousers with taped legs not acceptable or does everything have to be baggy?

Bashkim wrote:
    I have Skype Interview after 3 days with SABIS. Anyone had interview lately ? what do they ask, could you please tell me your experience ? I need really bad this job, so i want to be prepared  I appreciate your help.

Hi Bashkim,

I had my interview last week. It lasted about 30 mins. They asked me why I wanted to teach in the middle east, why I studied my subject (history), why I think my subject is important and how I would teach it- make sure to mention the points system and how effective it is (proven academic results), what I would do in terms of class discipline and how important I think it is to respect the terms of the contract.

Just read the SABIS teaching guidelines and rules very carefully and prepare answers to questions. Just have your homework done and know your CV so you can talk about if fluidly and naturally. Best of luck. Just send me a pm if you have any other questions. ( :

RagsOBrien wrote: »
    Hi Bashkim,

I had my interview last week. It lasted about 30 mins. They asked me why I wanted to teach in the middle east, why I studied my subject (history), why I think my subject is important and how I would teach it- make sure to mention the points system and how effective it is (proven academic results), what I would do in terms of class discipline and how important I think it is to respect the terms of the contract.

Just read the SABIS teaching guidelines and rules very carefully and prepare answers to questions. Just have your homework done and know your CV so you can talk about if fluidly and naturally. Best of luck. Just send me a pm if you have any other questions. ( :

Thank you so much for your reply. I will have my interview on Sunday, hope it goes good. Im not native english speaker, and that worries me. But i had some University experience in Exeter Englad, so that should be consider, and 12 years experience in teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aoifeo23

Hi Rags,

In order to get your degree authenticated by the UAE embassy you have to go through the Arab Irish Chamber of Commerce. They also will do the DFA stamp at an extra cost of 25 euro on top of the 40 stamp charge!!

I only sent mine on Monday and they rang yday to confirm payment and told me it would take 8-10 working days!!...SABIS have given me a deadline of the 30th so hopefully it comes in time!!

Anyone who works at International Schools of Choueifat in SHARJAH Dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rob1292

Well guys,
    Got offered a place with Sabis for Khalifa City, Abu Dhabi a while ago and i'm just wondering if anyone knows when exactly do we find out when we are flying out there and if anyone knows the living arrangements out there?
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aoifeo23

Rob1292 wrote: »
    Well guys,
    Got offered a place with Sabis for Khalifa City, Abu Dhabi a while ago and i'm just wondering if anyone knows when exactly do we find out when we are flying out there and if anyone knows the living arrangements out there?
    Cheers!

Hi Rob....

Flight details and accommodation won't b known till all required documents have been sent in , cleared on their side and teaching viasas set up.

All I know its complex apartments on site or near the campus two professionals an apartment I have been told, no male or female mixing due to their Islamic laws and that flights will b forntye 12th and 13th of august with training starting the 15th.

Hope this helps!!

Anyone going to Ruwais? Got placed in Ruwais Private School as a primary grade maths teacher!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kateireland111

Hi ya! Got placed in ruwais as well! ☺

• Advertisement

Hi ya! Got placed in ruwais as well! ☺

Hi Kate,

Did you get placed in Ruwais Private School? Do you know many others going to Ruwais or anyone already over there? Most people I know are in Dubai or Abu Dhabi :/

Anyone going to Ruwais? Got placed in Ruwais Private School as a primary grade maths teacher!

Looks like were teaching the same thing in Ruwais :) have you got a degree in maths?

Don't know anyone going over but I'm sure we'll all make loads of friends

shell18244 wrote: »
    Looks like were teaching the same thing in Ruwais :) have you got a degree in maths?

Don't know anyone going over but I'm sure we'll all make loads of friends

No I haven't got a degree in maths! I have a business degree, guess there really stuck for maths teachers! Have you got a maths degree? Anyone going to Ruwais if you're on facebook add me, <mod snip>

Anyone who works at International Schools of Choueifat in SHARJAH Dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sineadg91

No I haven't got a degree in maths! I have a business degree, guess there really stuck for maths teachers! Have you got a maths degree? Anyone going to Ruwais if you're on facebook add me, <mod snip>

Hey! Im in Ruwais now teaching primary maths! Iv a business degree too think they just put us all in maths! The maths is very basic and handy to teach! We have the least corrections and meetings :) Ruwais is a bit of a shock but its grand once you get used to it!

sineadg91 wrote: »
    Hey! Im in Ruwais now teaching primary maths! Iv a business degree too think they just put us all in maths! The maths is very basic and handy to teach! We have the least corrections and meetings :) Ruwais is a bit of a shock but its grand once you get used to it!

That sounds grand, are your hours 8-2:30? what are the teaching hours? I had a maths knowledge test on the phone last week seemed handy enough, hope the maths being taught in the class is something similar! A lot of people are saying that Ruwais is like a small town- is there much to do? or do you go to Abu Dhabi a lot? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 zb2311

Hey guys. I still haven't received an offer. And when I message them they say that u meet their requirements and that they're waiting for a suitable vacancy to arise. If this is the case why are they still interviewing new people? It's been MONTHS. Anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Silver_lining

Hi guys,

I've been placed in Dubai. I don't know anyone going out there, has anyone else been placed there? I haven't yet heard any news regarding visa or flights? Is this standard?
    Im getting nervous as I have to give my notice next week and don't want to if there is a possibility of a visa issue.

Any feedback would be great. :)

Hi Silverlining,

I don't know about Dubai but I was offered a position in Muscat last week. I have heard that flights don't get booked and accommodation sorted until the school gets all the required documents ie garda clearance letter, degree cert stamped/certified by the DFA, experience letter, passport photos and degree transcripts scanned and delivered to them by couriered post. I am still finalising mine at the moment.

The flights apparently may not be booked by the school until the last minute as well which is not ideal. It does not seem definite for me until I see that they are booked as I am also worried that something will go wrong. Hopefully this won't be the case for either of us though😊!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Silver_lining

Hi Rags,

Oh really? They put some pressure to get my documents in before Ramadan or I might not get my visa. Must be just a scare tactic.

I got an email saying they got all documents 10 days ago but nothing since so I was nervous that it might not have been there on time or something... It's a pain that flights are booked last minute gives no sense of security.

Hopefully it will all work out! :) thanks for the reply and best of luck :)

Advertisement