Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aoifeo23

ballinv123 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone heading out to khalifa city in abu dhabi with sabis?

I am!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭seano12

For anyone who received their translated degree from NUI in English, must this be also attested by NUI or your university? As I forwarded ahead the translated degree to the DFAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aoifeo23

seano12 wrote: »
    For anyone who received their translated degree from NUI in English, must this be also attested by NUI or your university? As I forwarded ahead the translated degree to the DFAT.

As far as I am aware yes...unless the college have put an official stamp on it similar to the one on the original degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Clodagh91

When you received your translated Degree did it not have your university stamp on it anyway? I never sent the translated degree back to NUIM - i just went ahead to DFAT and the UAE embassy and there was no issue when SABIS received my documents so you'll be grand.

Clodagh91 wrote: »
    When you received your translated Degree did it not have your university stamp on it anyway? I never sent the translated degree back to NUIM - i just went ahead to DFAT and the UAE embassy and there was no issue when SABIS received my documents so you'll be grand.

Hey @Clodagh91 Yes it had the stamp on it. You'd get lost in the bureaucracy Thanks for the clarification. :)

• Advertisement

aoifeo23 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware yes...unless the college have put an official stamp on it similar to the one on the original degree.

The stamp on the translated degree from NUI corresponds with the stamp on the original degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Muinteoir17

Hi I am heading over to the UAE to teach in August. I have to get my degree attested and it might seem like a silly question, but is this the supplement that is about 4 pages long and not the transcript of results?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SarahHooli

Hi I am heading over to the UAE to teach in August. I have to get my degree attested and it might seem like a silly question, but is this the supplement that is about 4 pages long and not the transcript of results?

I just sent my actual degree certificate and it was taken fine!

As for the language thing, my UCD cert is in latin and it costs €50 to get a cert in English from NUI but UCD issues every student an "Academic Statement" on the SISweb which basically stated what the cert was and my grade, and they took that too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SarahHooli

I just sent my actual degree certificate and it was taken fine!

As for the language thing, my UCD cert is in latin and it costs €50 to get a cert in English from NUI but UCD issues every student an "Academic Statement" on the SISweb which basically stated what the cert was and my grade, and they took that instead too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 danvideo

Might be a silly question but what kind of clothes are we to wear whilst were teaching?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

sigh. Re documents, Sabis would take a smiley face scribbled on the back of a cornflake box, never mind official stamps and the like.

Clothes? Well shorts (for men) are illegal in Sharjar afaik (although the law changes depending on the local Sheik's mood) slacks and a short-sleeved shirt are fine. tie not required. For women, anything knee high or longer, and high neckline - exposed arms are ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_Emirates#Dress_code

lot of info here actually. The Human rights bit is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ArtSmart wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_Emirates#Dress_code

lot of info here actually. The Human rights bit is interesting.

That part about malls and dress code is not really true. I've been in a few malls in Dubai and was quite surprised to see girls/young women walking around in shorts and stringy tops.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Muinteoir17

Could anyone tell me roughly how long the Garda vetting process takes these days? Thanks :)

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That part about malls and dress code is not really true. I've been in a few malls in Dubai and was quite surprised to see girls/young women walking around in shorts and stringy tops.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. :)
    Was there, ate the sandgwich.

But it twas a while ago, so I'm sure some elements have changed.

However it was the same back then - shorts n stingy tops (westerners of course)

But re the school the poster was talking about, no stringy-ness allowed.
    not even string vests!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Krag_te12

So my girlfriend wants to come over and visit in October-I am in Dubai Investments Park-and I was wondering how to go about having her stay with me? I've heard people have done it before, but I was wondering would I have to sign her in as a cousin or something? Or should I ask one of the girls on the programme to 'sign her in' and then she just stay with me? I know it's officially not allowed but I'm wondering how lax it is otherwise? The place has a receptionist, so...I dunno what to do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ciara63

Hi everyone

I applied and had an interview mid August only to be offered a job in Khalifa City as a spare teacher days later, to start first week in October.

Was even emailed on Thurs to confirm I could still come only to get an early morning phone call today saying my position had been filled and I was being sent to Muscat as per the spare teacher clause.

Obv with less than 2 weeks to go this is stressful enough but reading about Oman people really dont seem to want to end up there :/ Any experience of the school? Are there many other expat teachers in the accommodation?

Is Oman really that bad?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oman is actually a gorgeous country.

While it is very underdeveloped compared to the rest of the Middle East, it is a beautiful country with fantastic, warm, friendly people. Much less pretentious than other Middle Eastern countries.

The scenery is incredible and I know lots of people go diving there. Lots of greenery, surprisingly, along with mountains and rivers (quite unusual in the Middle East, as I am sure you can imagine).

In terms of stuff to do, there are golf courses, sailing clubs, and as far as I know a GAA club. Just don't expect a crazy nightlife. Eating and drinking out can be quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Ciara63 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I applied and had an interview mid August only to be offered a job in Khalifa City as a spare teacher days later, to start first week in October.
    ...Any experience of the school? Are there many other expat teachers in the accommodation?

I spent a few days in that school using the staff accommodation.

To be really honest, it was not good. The staff generally hated the school and the accommodation. Also, moral (as far as I could tell) was terrible. Sorry, just saying what I saw/heard.

But hey, that's life! It's a good experience and a while there'll make you a great teacher since it's a fairly rough school (if we're honest).

The county itself is great, very sparse, but that's just the Middle East in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ciara63

*Big Stupid Guy* is that Khalifa City school you're talking about or the one in Muscat?

Just wondering cause of how the reply's phrased as I actually know someone in their second year in KC who says there's a great community there whereas I wasn't sure if it'd be the same in Muscat, not having heard of many people at all who were sent there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Iamhobbi

Hi I applied for Sabis only 2 days ago and got a call today informing me that I have a skype interview tomorrow at 7am (so short notice)! Can anyone give me some pointers on how to approach the interview and what kind of questions they ask? I'm hoping to get Dubai or Abu Dhabi preferably but would be happy with anywhere in the UAE! I'm currently in my final year of university studying English and Sociology (BA joint honors)! Thanks in advance!

- Rachel

• Registered Users Posts: 6 needinghelp22

I've a Skype interview with Sabis this Sunday. Any advice would be really appreciated. No idea what their going to ask as I work in the hospitality sector. (feel really out of my depth)
    Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamilaabdi1

is it necessary to do the cv video?
    if so, what are some important things that should be mentioned apart from the obvious e.g. experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

Hi Everyone! I am interested in teaching in Dubai and am looking for more information 😊 I have a B.A. English and New Media degree and a TEFL course - my main reason for teaching abroad would be to gain my PGCE teaching qualification. Has anybody completed this whilst teaching in UAE? Is it recognised with the Irish Teaching Council? And what schools would I need to apply to?

Thank you!

Hi Everyone! I am interested in teaching in Dubai and am looking for more information 😊 I have a B.A. English and New Media degree and a TEFL course - my main reason for teaching abroad would be to gain my PGCE teaching qualification. Has anybody completed this whilst teaching in UAE? Is it recognised with the Irish Teaching Council? And what schools would I need to apply to?

Thank you!

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamilaabdi1

I applied last night and today I got an email response from HR Sharjah does that mean Sharjah is where i have been allocated because really only want to accept Dubai

I just had a Skype interview this morning with a really lovely lady from HR Sharjah but that doesn't mean that's where u will be allocated.
    She asked where I want to go and I said Dubai is my first preference but it can't be guaranteed.

• Advertisement

Advertisement