Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

MichealD wrote: »
    Happy New Year!

A few shots from N30 end of N30/N80/M11 link road taken on run this morning. Plenty of drainage and pavement work to be completed here.

From the first bridge structure at Jamestown looking towards the N30 tie in. The drainage pipes in the distance are where the roundabout is going.

469256.gif

And from the other side of this structure looking north.

469259.gif

And these two from the next bridge opened in December loking south towards the previous photos. Earthworks only completed recently when bridge opened and old road removed.

469260.gif

And looking north towards the major structures and embankments built at Monart crossing the local road and river. A huge amount of stone was blasted from here and crushed over the last 18 months to provide the base for the pavement works.

469261.gif

Updated photos approx 90 days on from my above post. Same locations and order as above. N30 end of the M11/N30 link road. Work on the tie in roundabout has begun with offline work so far but no disruption (bar narrowed lanes) to N30 yet. I would imagine work will commence on finishing roundabout on N30 mainline in April. There is a natural detour along the old N30 that means they could close this section of the N30 completely to finish roundabout. Unfortunately there is no such luxury at the N11 tie roundabout near Oylegate where I'd imagine mainline works will also commence in April and will cause disruption.

attachment.php?attachmentid=476656&stc=1&d=1553978917

attachment.php?attachmentid=476657&stc=1&d=1553979004

attachment.php?attachmentid=476660&stc=1&d=1553979296

attachment.php?attachmentid=476658&stc=1&d=1553979097

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭jd

MichealD wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is no such luxury at the N11 tie roundabout near Oylegate where I'd imagine mainline works will also commence in April and will cause disruption.
    I haven't been down in Wexford for months. Are we looking good for a July opening of the new section of the M11?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jd wrote: »
    I haven't been down in Wexford for months. Are we looking good for a July opening of the new section of the M11?

Looking like it'll be on schedule. Even the Oylegate tie in is almost complete, they have half the roundabout built and going by how fast they did the one at Scarawalsh,as soon as they need to build the rest and allow traffic use it they'll have it done in days.

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Is there permission for this? Do you have a source?

I know quite a few who work for the developer. The ground works have already started and there's a brand new road after being built through the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

I know quite a few who work for the developer. The ground works have already started and there's a brand new road after being built through the site.

1000 houses for a town like Enniscorthy is huge!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Could you tell us who the developer is, or what the exact address (townsland) is, or anything else that might help find the planning file online?
    I’m just curious about it because I grew up close to that area. I’m not asking out of any objector sort of point of view. Would probably be far too late for that anyway!

Duffryman wrote: »
    Could you tell us who the developer is, or what the exact address (townsland) is, or anything else that might help find the planning file online?
    I’m just curious about it because I grew up close to that area. I’m not asking out of any objector sort of point of view. Would probably be far too late for that anyway!

It probably went directly to ABP as a strategic housing development, bypassing Wexford Co Co Planning Dept.

Either way, just wondering if there might be details of it available anywhere?

Or even just a more precise description of where exactly it is, so I can keep an eye out whenever I'm passing that way again? As I said, am just curious.

Or even just a more precise description of where exactly it is, so I can keep an eye out whenever I'm passing that way again? As I said, am just curious.

I see some info about a 200 unit development
    https://www.southeastradio.ie/2019/02/major-housing-developments-planned-for-enniscorthy/

Carley's Bridge would be close enough all right, but 187 units (houses & apartments) is a long way from the 'bones of 1,000 houses' that the first post about this mentioned....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They're up around Daphne View I think. Opposite the Rugby Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Carley's Bridge would be close enough all right, but 187 units (houses & apartments) is a long way from the 'bones of 1,000 houses' that the first post about this mentioned....
    The closest I can see to that is this article, which mentions nearly 300 houses:
    Planning applications have been lodged with Wexford County Council for the construction of two new major housing developments, one in the Templeshannon area and one near Carley's Bridge. The first application was made on behalf of Green DCBM Ltd, a company headed up by developer Declan Sinnott and Leonie Grant of Grant's Pharmacy, and consists of a total of 97 houses at Clonhaston. The other saw two applications lodged on behalf of Dublin based company Torca Developments Ltd (a company based in Ballsbridge and headed by Pheilim and Oisin O'Connor), one for 90 houses near the Millbrook estate and another for a further 97 dwellings on an adjoining site.
    97+97+90=284.

Since these are three separate developements of less than 100 houses, they can't go directly to An Bord Plenala, but must go to the County Council first.

As per the SouthEast Radio item, the two O'Connor developments of 187 units seem to have gotten permission from the council. No word on the other development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

March 2019 pics form the m11gtoe.ie website
    phc5nF8.jpg

MOOVFM2.jpg

8CHqcSo.jpg

Tg6G844.jpg

ZTL7trl.jpg

P0WYzjG.jpg

x8fGsQ4.jpg

KPBSmzS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Latest newsletter

"We have entered 2019 and we are in a stage where we are getting prepared to open this project to traffic in the third quarter of 2019. Works at M11, N30 and N80 Link Road have all advanced and new road pavement is now covering most of the Works areas. The final Wearing Course has commenced on the M11 mainline road in February 2019 and we are increasing our efforts in order to deliver this project to the public ahead of time"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Opening in the third quarter sounds like getting ready for a delay. If it’s intended to be open on 31/7, would expect to see “mid Summer” or “before August” not “third quarter” which could stretch to September. But then there’s a reference to “ahead of time” so maybe it’s simply crap drafting.

Out the Milehouse way,the site goes from Shingaun all the way out to beside the Still. There's another site at the other side of the road at the Milehouse too. It's a massive site. There's another road to be built joining the Milehouse with The Moyne.
    All very strategic and will offer easy access to the bypass.

The 6th picture is the Monart Interchange on the N30 section.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Opening in the third quarter sounds like getting ready for a delay. If it’s intended to be open on 31/7, would expect to see “mid Summer” or “before August” not “third quarter” which could stretch to September. But then there’s a reference to “ahead of time” so maybe it’s simply crap drafting.

31st July was always 3rd quarter, and I'd say they'll be done before that though.

1 Jan - 31st Mar - Q1
    1 Apr - 30th June - Q2
    1 July - 30th Sept - Q3
    1 Oct - 31st Dec - Q4

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

31st July was on the PPP contract as the permit to use date, which is why I put it in the thread title as it was the most useful date available for the opening.

Q3 2019 sounds like a reasonably accurate assumption to make at this stage, it would be imprudent to be more precise as there could be delays.

What we can all agree on is that Q3 2019 can't come quick enough and it'll be wonderful to have another 27km of motorway open on the M11. :)

I suspect early July, going by their wording. Quarter 3, " increasing our efforts in order to deliver this project to the public ahead of time", so before July 30th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

m17 wrote: »
    Works at scarawalshe 02/03/19
    OSt4B7r.jpg

Some progress in a month,the roundabout is done and the surface is tarred on the link road (bottom left). They were still digging there when that photo was posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

vicwatson wrote: »
    31st July was always 3rd quarter, and I'd say they'll be done before that though.

1 Jan - 31st Mar - Q1
    1 Apr - 30th June - Q2
    1 July - 30th Sept - Q3
    1 Oct - 31st Dec - Q4

I think it’s pretty obvious from my post that I know when the calendar quarters begin and end; my point is that it paints a less than upbeat approach to communications.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I think it’s pretty obvious from my post that I know when the calendar quarters begin and end; my point is that it paints a less than upbeat approach to communications.

Oh don’t be so touchy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The Slaney crossing 27/11/17
    9MbQVf2.jpg

27/03/19
    KPBSmzS.jpg

On a different but related note to the actual road building, something that occurred to me this morning as I saw a Gatso van on the road between Ferns and Enniscorthy for the third time this week –

When the new road is open, is the existing N11 downgraded to an R route, with a corresponding reduction in speed limit from 100 km/h to just 80 km/h? Remember this is what happened with the stretch of the ‘old’ N11 from the Clough roundabout through to Gorey.

Same thing would presumably apply with the road from Enniscorthy to Oylegate, including that long straight and wide stretch along Brownswood, towards Edermine.

It’d be real ‘fish in a barrel’ stuff for the speed vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

On a different but related note to the actual road building, something that occurred to me this morning as I saw a Gatso van on the road between Ferns and Enniscorthy for the third time this week –

When the new road is open, is the existing N11 downgraded to an R route, with a corresponding reduction in speed limit from 100 km/h to just 80 km/h? Remember this is what happened with the stretch of the ‘old’ N11 from the Clough roundabout through to Gorey.

Same thing would presumably apply with the road from Enniscorthy to Oylegate, including that long straight and wide stretch along Brownswood, towards Edermine.

It’d be real ‘fish in a barrel’ stuff for the speed vans.

It's up to Wexford CC I think, they have the option of leaving it at 100km/h but they probably won't. The only county I've seen non-N roads with a 100km limit in is Cork.

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's up to Wexford CC I think, they have the option of leaving it at 100km/h but they probably won't. The only county I've seen non-N roads with a 100km limit in is Cork.

Some of the old N11 north of Gorey is 100 km/hr
    eg
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.7105949,-6.2599713,3a,75y,201.12h,79.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s537XG7CaBBaxsCbfFxawcQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

So its OK as an N road now, but because they've a new alternative in a few months it'll be downgraded? Really? Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I stand corrected. Nice that the street-view features a pedestrian walking along a road with no footpaths beside a 100km/h sign :(

There's an argument that councils should reduce the limits to make the road safer for pedestrians, cyclists and other slow-moving traffic, as well as residents living along the road (reduced traffic noise is another benefit too). Fast moving through-traffic can use the motorway.

Advertisement