Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

loyatemu wrote: »
    I stand corrected. Nice that the street-view features a pedestrian walking along a road with no footpaths beside a 100km/h sign :(

And they don’t even pay road tax!! 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So its OK as an N road now, but because they've a new alternative in a few months it'll be downgraded? Really? Why?

Road frontage?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Duffryman wrote: »
    On a different but related note to the actual road building, something that occurred to me this morning as I saw a Gatso van on the road between Ferns and Enniscorthy for the third time this week –

When the new road is open, is the existing N11 downgraded to an R route, with a corresponding reduction in speed limit from 100 km/h to just 80 km/h? Remember this is what happened with the stretch of the ‘old’ N11 from the Clough roundabout through to Gorey.

Same thing would presumably apply with the road from Enniscorthy to Oylegate, including that long straight and wide stretch along Brownswood, towards Edermine.

It’d be real ‘fish in a barrel’ stuff for the speed vans.

It's up to Wexford CC I think, they have the option of leaving it at 100km/h but they probably won't. The only county I've seen non-N roads with a 100km limit in is Cork.

The old N9.... now the R448.... into Carlow from the M9 was put back up to 100kmh about 4 years ago, if I remember correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Found this guide to setting speed limits on the Department of Transport site:
    http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/upload/general/Guide_Speed_Limits_Mar_2015.pdf

It says around pages 6 to 8 that the default speed limit on a R road (which I what assume those stretches on the current N11 will become) is 80 km/h. However, the Local Authority has the power to instead set a ‘special’ speed limit, with one of the options being 100 km/h.

So, appears that it’ll be up to Wexford County Council all right. Hope they do the sensible thing and leave the limits at 100 since that’s the limit that’s been in place on them all the way up to now. They don’t become worse roads or more dangerous roads overnight, just because an alternative motorway route has opened up.

Incidentally, am seldom on that stretch of the old N11 north of Gorey (precisely because of the bypass – I’d be taking that if going ‘around’ Gorey, to get to anywhere further north). But the 100 km/h stretch in the photo somebody put up doesn’t look any better than the 80 km/h stretch on the south side of the town. Curious how they’d decide to allow the 100 km/h limit to remain in place at one side of the town, but not at the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭josip

Are N roads the responsibility of the NRA and non-N roads the responsibility of the local CC?
    Is there a greater maintenance obligation on an N road than non-N road, eg, daily inspection for debris?
    Does reducing the speed to 80kmh reduce the CC's maintenance costs?

• Advertisement

It widens out considerably from Ferns down. 80kph would be crawling.

NRA (National Roads Authority) doesn't actually exist any more - it's now part of TII (Transport Infrastructure Ireland).

But yeah, they have sole responsibility for national routes, including setting the speed limits for them. County Councils responsible for all other roads. And to be honest, if you take the Ferns to Enniscorthy stretch, or the Enniscorthy to Oylegate stretch as examples, then I don't see how maintenance requirements could or should change overnight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I was travelling on the M11/Gorey bypass,half the roundabout is built and in use with a contraflow as a large stretch of the southbound lanes are closed and dug up for the tie in work with the new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

It's up to Wexford CC I think, they have the option of leaving it at 100km/h but they probably won't. The only county I've seen non-N roads with a 100km limit in is Cork.

Cork is also the only country where I've seen a N road with 120kms - go on the rebels

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cork is also the only country where I've seen a N road with 120kms - go on the rebels

Wishful thinking there :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How about the N1 north of Dundalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Duffryman wrote: »
    It says around pages 6 to 8 that the default speed limit on a R road (which I what assume those stretches on the current N11 will become) is 80 km/h. However, the Local Authority has the power to instead set a ‘special’ speed limit, with one of the options being 100 km/h.

So, appears that it’ll be up to Wexford County Council all right. Hope they do the sensible thing and leave the limits at 100 since that’s the limit that’s been in place on them all the way up to now. They don’t become worse roads or more dangerous roads overnight, just because an alternative motorway route has opened up.

that's not the only argument though - people live along these de-trunked routes, they walk along the road, and as I mentioned above they'll be used by cyclists (possibly moreso than before as they're now quieter). 80 is safer all round, and more environmentally friendly, if it's no longer a trunk road why have a 100 limit?

Because:
    a) the relevant authorities would have had discretion all along to reduce the speed limit on those existing stretches of road, if they felt the need to do so;

b) they didn't;

c) nothing will change on those stretches apart from how they'll be labelled R instead of N, and,

d) in general, they're as good a stretch of N road as you'll find anywhere, with just about all the road from the Clough roundabout all the way through to Oylegate having good wide hard shoulders of high enough standard for use by cyclists and pedestrians (apart from the bits through the villages of Camolin and Ferns themselves, through Enniscorthy town, and a bit of a stretch at the Scarawalsh roundabout).

I regularly run and sometimes cycle along the hard shoulders on both sides of the road around Ferns/Camolin myself and have never once felt threatened by how the traffic on the main carriageway is allowed to go at 100 km/h.

Would be different if we were talking this sort of N road, that I drove while on holiday in Galway last year:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.5600467,-9.9288925,3a,75y,46.55h,76.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sB7hChMTcOqaUO4jp1xw9ew!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DB7hChMTcOqaUO4jp1xw9ew%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D143.1712%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

100 km/h is hardly appropriate even on a straight stretch of that.

But these are more typical of the N11 stretches we're talking about here (first one is north of Enniscorthy, second one is south):
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.5385791,-6.5526833,3a,75y,199.54h,75.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skmvp_-YTWW811awPVqbQfA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.4862131,-6.565303,3a,75y,189.08h,80t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVTv9yTn2bRlK_eiHRstwig!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DVTv9yTn2bRlK_eiHRstwig%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D262.9416%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I really don't see any need for stretches of road like that to be reduced to 80 km/h. Not when they've been 100 km/h all along and there have never been calls to have limits reduced because they're 'dangerous'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Just passed Middleton on the way in to Cork. Was always intrigued by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sorry guys, a section of the N2 in Dublin is 120kmh!

The roundabout at the Oylegate end should be live very soon,the top coat of asphalt is being layed now. There'll probably be a contraflow while the other half of the roundabout on the existing N11 is being finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Coynes cross to Kilpedder should be 120 km but that would be a big loss in income from fixed penalty fines!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Coynes cross to Kilpedder should be 120 km but that would be a big loss in income from fixed penalty fines!

Too many cyclists for 120 Kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Bigus wrote: »
    Too many cyclists for 120 Kmh.
    Never bothered some of them a bit further south :)

Cops seem to turn a blind eye to cyclists on the M11

jd wrote: »

Saw one cycling southbound near Arklow on Saturday,not the first time I've seen cyclists on it and further south near Gorey.
    No doubt,when the new bypass is finished they'll be on that too. Self preservation seems to be low on some people's list of priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Saw one cycling southbound near Arklow on Saturday,not the first time I've seen cyclists on it and further south near Gorey.
    No doubt,when the new bypass is finished they'll be on that too. Self preservation seems to be low on some people's list of priorities.

Self preservation ignorance and "its always somebody else's fault" are generally the 2 most common things that come out of a cyclists mouth (from a realistic cyclist/pedestrian/occasional motorist).

jd wrote: »

The amount of tractors on the M11 is astounding.

I see the “climbing lane” coming out of Wexford town en route to Oilgate is gone since the new road markings went down.

That’s a hell of an annoyance for regular users with the amount of tractors/trucks etc... on the road. It seems to be to facilitate vehicles turning into the hotel and another right turn at the top of the lane but that’s a real pain it’s gone.

I used to use the N25 a lot and slower moving vehicles in Cork and Waterford would pull in to let traffic by, that doesn’t seem to really happen in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Seen Tractors on Gorey bi-pass section too numerous times to even bat an eyelid at this stage as well.

I see the “climbing lane” coming out of Wexford town en route to Oilgate is gone since the new road markings went down.

That’s a hell of an annoyance for regular users with the amount of tractors/trucks etc... on the road. It seems to be to facilitate vehicles turning into the hotel and another right turn at the top of the lane but that’s a real pain it’s gone.

I used to use the N25 a lot and slower moving vehicles in Cork and Waterford would pull in to let traffic by, that doesn’t seem to really happen in Wexford.

They made a hames of it when they realigned it and took out part of the hard shoulder at the top where you could move in when turning left,now cars literally have to almost stop at the top of the hill with overtaking cars also trying to avoid the junction box for the right hand turn. How nobody was killed there is a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The amount of tractors on the M11 is astounding.

Tractors are allowed on motorways. As long as they are capable of 50km/h. Doesn't mean they have to be going 50km/h, just that they are capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Saw 2 cyclists on the M11 northbound near Arklow last Sunday week. The Gards were there and had them pulled over.

They made a hames of it when they realigned it and took out part of the hard shoulder at the top where you could move in when turning left,now cars literally have to almost stop at the top of the hill with overtaking cars also trying to avoid the junction box for the right hand turn. How nobody was killed there is a miracle.

It could get hairy at the top of the hill if there was a car turning right and left.

Apart from Kyle Cross no road markings whatsoever for right turns from Ferrycarrig to Enniscorthy. Not even a continuous white line.
    Miracle nobody has been taken out.

Was looking at it this morning and in places the hard shoulder is wider than the lane I was driving in.

• Advertisement

The Slaney bridge.

Advertisement