Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ferns is only 9-10 km away so it is proberly part of the Enniscorthy by-pass.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

The enniscorthy bypass goes north as far as Scarawalsh, which I think is roughly where the turn of for the N80 Bunclody road is. That would mean Ferns and Camolin are not bypassed. The current plan is also for the the Enniscorthy bypass to be wide two lane, so it will not be dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

PoolDude wrote:
    The enniscorthy bypass goes north as far as Scarawalsh, which I think is roughly where the turn of for the N80 Bunclody road is. That would mean Ferns and Camolin are not bypassed. The current plan is also for the the Enniscorthy bypass to be wide two lane, so it will not be dual carriageway.

I suppose the are small villages, perhaps they can be bypassed pretty easily (realigning the road- the coco could nearly get to work on it themselves?>)

You'll get dual carriageway as far as the southern side of the village of Clogh and then hit single carriageway just before Camolin village. This will mean dual carriageway on Euro Route 1 from Belfast to this point. It seems strange to me that they would not extend it the final stretch to Rosslare as dual carriageway and that they are currently not planning a Camolin/Ferns bypass. Hopefully this will all be in the new development plan released later this month. If not, the unfamiliar motorist heading from Belfast to Rosslare will get a shock when they hit Camolin, Ferns, Oilgate, Tagoat and Kilrane after a long stretch of 100/120kph dual carriage way/motorway from Belfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

PoolDude wrote:
    You'll get dual carriageway as far as the southern side of the village of Clogh and then hit single carriageway just before Camolin village. This will mean dual carriageway on Euro Route 1 from Belfast to this point. It seems strange to me that they would not extend it the final stretch to Rosslare as dual carriageway and that they are currently not planning a Camolin/Ferns bypass. Hopefully this will all be in the new development plan released later this month. If not, the unfamiliar motorist heading from Belfast to Rosslare will get a shock when they hit Camolin, Ferns, Oilgate, Tagoat and Kilrane after a long stretch of 100/120kph dual carriage way/motorway from Belfast!
    Now way! I just assumed the Gorey and Enniscorthy bypasses would tie-in to each other, bypassing Ferns and those smaller villages on the way! Seems crazy not to. I presume though because the Enniscorthy bypass is to be dual carriageway at it's northern end that this bypass, when it eventually comes will also be dual, but seeing as wexford is bypassed with single carriageway the rest of the route south from Enniscorthy will be the same.

• Advertisement

http://www.thrdo.com/n25rosslaredates.html

So part of Rosslare Harbour-Wexford by-pass will be dual carriageway

jd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

presumably traffic flow south of enniscorthy does not justify a dual-carriageway

gorey is a nightmare though - delays of up to an hour are not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

jd wrote:
    http://www.thrdo.com/n25rosslaredates.html

So part of Rosslare Harbour-Wexford by-pass will be dual carriageway

jd
    It seems the bit nearest to the harbour is to be dualled, but further out towards Wexford it returns to single. I presume this is to allow overtaking of HGVs coming off the ferry.

The web pages are also well out of date, I've mentioned this before and they were going to update them but in my opinion they are neither user friendly or up to date.

The Enniscorthy bypass starts at Scarawalsh (near the turn for Bunclody and is single carriageway, there may be a stretch that could be termed dual but this is only to allow it veer of to join the New Ross road. I have yet to see anything about linking this up with the end of the Gorey bypass near Clogh.

Enniscorthy's problem would be easily solved in the short term by giving right of way to traffic on the N11. Today, as you enter Enniscorthy from either direction, traffic on the N11 must give way to traffic joining the N11 - crazy!

If Gorey to Rosslare is not to be dual carriageway, perhaps it would be a good candidate for 2+1 ??

jd

• Advertisement

Noticed this on the wexford county council web page:

Title: N11 Clogh to Enniscorthy Consulting Services Contract
    Published by: Wexford County Council
    Publication date: 28-Jun-2006
    Application Deadline:
    Notice Deadline Date: 18-Aug-2006
    Notice Deadline time: 16:00
    Notice Type: Tender
    Has Documents: No
    Abstract: Provision of consultancy services to develop design from and including, Constraints Study, through Route Selection Stage to Preliminary Design, and take through the Statutory Process, a proposed road realignment along the N11 between Clogh and Enniscorthy.
    CPV: 74231100.

I wonder are they looking at a completely new road (dc or wsc) or realignments to avoid Ferns and Camolin..
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Hopefully completely off line to tie in with the enniscorthy bypass. Maybe a few link roads to tie in. Can't see an online upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

I'm a long way from Wexford here but it seems, New Ross then Enniscorthy then Camolin-Ferns. One advantage of this may be that when they get round to building ther latter two schemes that they'll both be DC (like the Adare bypass) and Wexford CC may get their wish of DC from Dublin to Rosslare. The Rosslare harbour scheme is also listed on the Tramore House website. Would any locals know whether the current Wexford SC bypass has any private accesses on it?

I read that the new bridge on the New Ross bypass would be the longest in Ireland. Does anyone know whether they are making it DC or SC? It would be incredibly short-sighted IMHO to make it SC and then have to build another in the future.

Enniscorthy Bypass Update:

This was delayed previously to allow for the integration of a bypass of Ferns and Camolin. It is likely to now be deferred further to allow for the integration of a bypass of Oilgate on the south side of Enniscorthy.

It is also second priority for Wexford CC after the New Ross bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Enniscorthy Bypass will go to CPO/EIS this year. No mention of whether this is Clogh to Oilgate or the original Enniscorthy bypass plan.

Map of emerging preferred route here.

Enniscorthy bypass as per previous plan with new link road (type 2 dual carriageway) connecting N80/N11 scarawalsh junction to the 20km type 1 dual carrageway from Clogh (end of Gorey bypass) to Enniscorthy bypass.

Road is to east of existing N11 and bypasses villages of Camolin and Ferns.

Thanks King Kelly, I saw that on the People paper this week and it made we wonder that if this is going to be dual carriageway have they yet confirmed the Enniscorthy bypass carriageway type.

I know it was originally wide single lane but that there was lobbying to change this to dual. Anyone know what it has ended up as?

Line in local Wexford papers..
    http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/new-bypasses-move-a-giant-step-closer-1377551.html
    The N11 and N25 have been included in the latest P.P.P. public private partnership scheme. The move will accelerate progress in removing the bottlenecks from two of the county's biggest towns. The news means that motorists could be crossing the Barrow over one of the highest bridges in Europe as soon as 2012. The bridge downstream from New Ross at Stokestown is the most eye-catching feature of the revised route for the N25 linking Rosslare to Cork.
    The upgrading of the N11 is reckoned to be a year further down the pipeline but bringing in private investors should still mean that the main road traffic should be taken out of not only Enniscorthy, but also Camolin and Ferns by 2013. The plan is to have a dual carriageway running all the way from the southern end of the existing Gorey by-pass at Clough as far south as Oylegate.

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/motorway-plan-for-the-n11-unveiled-1760791.html
    LANDHOLDERS along the route of the planned Enniscorthy by-pass are this week opening their compulsory purchase letters. And Wexford roads tsar Don Curtin has confirmed that new road east of the town will be a motorway, not just a dual carriageway.
    The CPO's covering a 27-kilometre line from Clogh to Scurlocksbush, just north of Oylegate, were signed yesterday (Tuesday) by county council chairman Peter Byrne. Adding in the new connections to Enniscorthy town and Scarawalsh brings the total length of new roads in the offing to 39 kilometres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I thought a Motorway order not a cpo was used for motorway that's planned from the outset unlike the re-designated roads? or has this been changed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

For a motorway you need both. A motorway order makes the scheme a legal entity that brings it before ABP. The CPO would then be issued once the oral hearing took place in order for the required lands to be purchased.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CPOs done at what is probably close enough to the bottom of the market for land values nice to see the NRA has some sense on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Just saw this online today, "Enniscorthy Bypass to begin in March 2011":

http://www.enniscorthyecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mheyauojid&cat=news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Good news that they've put a date to it, looks like IF FUNDING CAN BE GOTTEN FROM THE BANKS that M17/18 will be starting in Late 2010, Newlands/M11 gap in 2011, and M11 Enniscorty and N25 New Ross in March 2011.

New Ross bypass wont be M25 though, they need to do more research :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NRA published their PPP schedule during the summer so a bit of googling will find that mentioned ( not March but 2011)

Has the CPO and an Bord Pleanala enquiry and final report been finalised on Enniscorthy may I ask because it has on the other PPP schemes ??

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/concerns-over-separation-of-county-bypass-projects-2057311.html

Didn't notice that there had been an alteration in the PPP packages.
    THE PROSPECT of the Enniscorthy bypass edging ahead of the new bridge and road at New Ross in the pecking order has not gone down well on Barrowside.

Cllr. Denis Kennedy registered concern on Monday that the two projects had been 'de-coupled', pointing out that New Ross appeared a year ahead of the N11 improvements at one stage.

On the other hand, county manager Eddie Breen assured Cllr. Declan MacPartlin he was confident that investors would be found for Enniscorthy project on its own at a good price. The Enniscorthy road, due to run from Clough north of Camolin all the way to Oylegate is big enough to stand on its own, the manager suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'll be honest, I didnt trust the Wexford people, but its true. The M11/N25 PPP has been split and the M11 Enniscorthy bypass is going to go ahead on its own.

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=FEB141435

M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy PPP Contract
    The M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy PPP Contract comprises the design, construction operation, maintenance and financing of approximately 26 kilometres of motorway/dual carraigeway forming part of the N11 national primary route, together with several kilometres of associated side roads and link roads.All such elements of work set out above are approximate only and may be reduced or added to by the Authority following dialogue with those Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the competition or otherwise at the Authority's absolute discretion. The Authority may also extend the operation and maintenance elements to include other parts of the national road network.Further information and details of the project can be obtained in the Information Memorandum and Pre-Qualification Questionnaire available on the eTenders website at http://www.etenders.gov.ieNote: To register your interest in this notice and obtain additional information please visit the eTenders website at http://www.etenders.gov.ie

Target contract award date = October 2011, presumably construction starting anytime between then and early 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thinking about it : I know that EISes and CPOs etc etc have to be done but its an absolute shambles that two sections of the M11 (the gap and Enniscorthy) are both being done before the M20. The M11 gap, granted that should be top of the priority list along with Newlands and Galway, but there is absolutely no way in any sane argument you can say that Enniscorthy is more deserving of a bypass than Cork to Limerick is its motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Thats good news, Enniscorthy is more viable without the New Ross ball-and-chain attached. It'd be cheaper to relocate the population of New Ross than to bypass it.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this was posted before

105337.jpg

Advertisement