Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Real pity about Reidy. It's hard to see us, or anyone, beat this Clare team. But there are very positive signs from our own u21 camp. Arguable whether Reidy would even get on the Clare team/panel but he was one of our best players and it's a big knock to lose him. Big pity for the guy himself as it had been a great season so far for him and 21s was his chance to shine. Don't know what kind of team kk had out in that challenge but we were minus dowling and the Lynches who will presumably start. If limerick pull off an ambush against that Clare team it will be the biggest upset of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Real pity about Reidy. It's hard to see us, or anyone, beat this Clare team. But there are very positive signs from our own u21 camp. Arguable whether Reidy would even get on the Clare team/panel but he was one of our best players and it's a big knock to lose him. Big pity for the guy himself as it had been a great season so far for him and 21s was his chance to shine. Don't know what kind of team kk had out in that challenge but we were minus dowling and the Lynches who will presumably start. If limerick pull off an ambush against that Clare team it will be the biggest upset of the summer.

Are the lynchs/Nash not doing the leaving , given that they are minors?

Are the lynchs/Nash not doing the leaving , given that they are minors?

Good point. I asked someone recently were they on the panel and he said they were, could have been wrong, I presumed they'd be playing tbh. Anyone able to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that the Leaving certs that day. It would be utter madness to allow them to play.... if it was at the weekend, that'd be one thing, but a few hours after your first exam, with another in the morning? You'd be mentally drained.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

Don't know if this is the best place to ask but does anyone know what stand the Limerick season tickets will be allocated to on Sunday. Rang up the gaa ticket office this morning and tickets are only being e mailed tomorrow or Wednesday. Want to know so a few lads can book tickets for the same stand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

We go again!

Don't know if this is the best place to ask but does anyone know what stand the Limerick season tickets will be allocated to on Sunday. Rang up the gaa ticket office this morning and tickets are only being e mailed tomorrow or Wednesday. Want to know so a few lads can book tickets for the same stand

EDIT- Apologies, forgot the game was on in Thurles :/ Must have been thinking of the football.

Vanolder wrote: »
    We go again!

Is that that shíte that Gerrard kept on spouting? Don't be infecting our thread with that, or we'll have Wayne Mac slipping and letting Tipp lads clean through for a goal.

Beginning to get rising tides of optimism, surrounded by Tipp and Clare people at work, so we better beat the fcukers. If we play with intensity and just hassle and harry them every time they're in possession, much like Waterford did to Cork, then we surely have a chance. And we can do that- we have the hurlers to play, this is the best panel we've had in my living memory in terms of hurling ability. I worry about the overall gameplan, but if we can bring ourselves up to Championship level, try and stop Tipp from getting freedom, while opening up a bit of space for our forwards, then there's always a chance. Mulcahy, Downes, Hannon... these lads would trouble the best of defences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

We go again!

i am a liverpool supporter and all i can say about that saying is it will give ye nothing but bad luck and after that post league/ pre championship debacle with the county board and donal o grady ye could do with a change of fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Thurles season ticket allocation is almost always centre of the old stand in the covered part. Smashing seats usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Mullane yesterday, Cummins today- ''Tipp will romp home''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭cnoc

Mullane yesterday, Cummins today- ''Tipp will romp home''

Have you quoted the articles properly?

This is Downes' time.

Burst onto the scene in 2011, was class. Had a year disrupted by injury in 2012, was only used from the bench really. Then he was shockingly left on the bench for the Championship last year. In the same period of time, he has proved himself to be a top player at club level, he has it all really.

He'll be starting... we mightn't know exactly where, but he has as much as talent as anyone. He has the pace, the power, the strength, the skill, the scoring ability. 2014 is his year to shine.

People outside of Limerick underrate him, it's probably fair enough, why would he be on the bench if he's so good? But he's electric, our real hope I think.

Yeah, would prefer to be on the 40 though, we're just not going to get enough good ball into him. Though he might be the right man to match maher on the day.

Interesting intermediate side, is it me or are doon woefully under represented at county level, cathal mac only on at wing back and 2 of their elder players mike fitz and dinny moloney on the bench (good to see them involved), couldnt name too many of their players but would have thought they'd have a few more for a potential county team.

Pity liam hurley isnt starting just so we can get the mowing bar set nice and high for the rest of the day :D

Yeah, would prefer to be on the 40 though, we're just not going to get enough good ball into him. Though he might be the right man to match maher on the day.

Interesting intermediate side, is it me or are doon woefully under represented at county level, cathal mac only on at wing back and 2 of their elder players mike fitz and dinny moloney on the bench (good to see them involved), couldnt name too many of their players but would have thought they'd have a few more for a potential county team.

Pity liam hurley isnt starting just so we can get the mowing bar set nice and high for the rest of the day :D

Cathal Mc started at centre-back for the intermediates last year... Mike Fitz, Mikey Ryan and Dinny Moloney have all played senior, I'd have to say all are good enough to start in that team, but he might be trying to play youth.

But a lot of the Doon lads are still U-21; Coleman, Ryan, English, Donovan.... surprised Niall Maher isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Wasnt sure about this, and was asked todsy so this seemed best place to ask.

Would supervalu in grove island have tickets for the game sunday?

Wouldnt have a clue, could ye not just rock up on the day and get a ticket, be 15,000 empty spaces surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Wouldnt have a clue, could ye not just rock up on the day and get a ticket, be 15,000 empty spaces surely?

Thats my plan, uncle with his kids is a lot more cautious and has never been to a game so wants them sorted :/
    Said id ask anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Waterford man here just looking for the general consensus ahead of Sundays game. How have things been since O'Gradys departure? How do ye rate yer chances? Cheers

Fireball, I agree, Downes is our best forward. I'd have him at centre forward and set him running at goal from there. He won't get enough ball/space at full forward and he's too at from the goal on the wing. Anyway, he'll start full forward Sunday. I'm not mad optimistic on our chances, he may have to wait til 2015 to show his true potential :(

Waterford man here just looking for the general consensus ahead of Sundays game. How have things been since O'Gradys departure? How do ye rate yer chances? Cheers

I don't think many expect to win, but we all hope. We had a poor league campaign... that's not unusual in itself I suppose, but we were hopeless against Galway. Don't think we've won any challenge matches since O'Grady left either. TJ has pretty much no experience as a coach to suggest that he's able to turn it around- the 21s last year, for example, should have been one of the best teams in the country and were hopeless.

But we do have a good squad of players, probably the most talented bunch we've had in a long time- the likes of Mulcahy, Downes, Dowling, Hannon... these are all top scoring forwards who would be in and about most intercounty teams. Browne is as an intelligent hurler as you'll find- Hickey, Condon, McCarthy, O'Mahony- all fine players. We've got youth, pace, strength, scoring ability.... all the raw materials are there. We just need the manager and coach to get the best out of them, because there are plenty of other good teams out there too.

So... we won't win because our tactics are likely to let us down. But if they players are fit, strong and motivated and are willing to give it everything- hooking, blocking, hassling, harrying, closing down and can take opportunities that come their way, maybe there's a chance. A high-tempo, high-pressure game, taking a leaf out of Waterford's book. I reckon that's the best we hope for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I don't think many expect to win, but we all hope. We had a poor league campaign... that's not unusual in itself I suppose, but we were hopeless against Galway. Don't think we've won any challenge matches since O'Grady left either. TJ has pretty much no experience as a coach to suggest that he's able to turn it around- the 21s last year, for example, should have been one of the best teams in the country and were hopeless.

But we do have a good squad of players, probably the most talented bunch we've had in a long time- the likes of Mulcahy, Downes, Dowling, Hannon... these are all top scoring forwards who would be in and about most intercounty teams. Browne is as an intelligent hurler as you'll find- Hickey, Condon, McCarthy, O'Mahony- all fine players. We've got youth, pace, strength, scoring ability.... all the raw materials are there. We just need the manager and coach to get the best out of them, because there are plenty of other good teams out there too.

So... we won't win because our tactics are likely to let us down. But if they players are fit, strong and motivated and are willing to give it everything- hooking, blocking, hassling, harrying, closing down and can take opportunities that come their way, maybe there's a chance. A high-tempo, high-pressure game, taking a leaf out of Waterford's book. I reckon that's the best we hope for.

You'd be hoping the Limerick of last years Munster Championship show up rather than the one that showed up against Clare in the All Ireland Series. If Limerick turn up with fire in their bellies I'm not convinced Tipperary are prepared to go toe to toe with that. Limerick must get in their faces, no time on the ball cause given time Tipp will run riot. Bubbles, Noel McGrath, Callanan these felas thrive on space. Should definitely take heart from Waterfords performance. Im not sure of the exact odds but Id imagine they are similar enough in the fact that both Cork and Tipp would be overwhelming favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Thats my plan, uncle with his kids is a lot more cautious and has never been to a game so wants them sorted :/
    Said id ask anyway :)

Bought them on gaa.ie for match last sunday, kids were 5 euro. print them off at home and bobs ur uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

You'd be hoping the Limerick of last years Munster Championship show up rather than the one that showed up against Clare in the All Ireland Series. If Limerick turn up with fire in their bellies I'm not convinced Tipperary are prepared to go toe to toe with that. Limerick must get in their faces, no time on the ball cause given time Tipp will run riot. Bubbles, Noel McGrath, Callanan these felas thrive on space. Should definitely take heart from Waterfords performance. Im not sure of the exact odds but Id imagine they are similar enough in the fact that both Cork and Tipp would be overwhelming favourites

As a Tipp fan this has me worried big time, whenever teams really get in our faces our lads seem to panic very easily and give stupid and hopeless passes!

Limerick definitely gonna be fired up after watching Waterford last week, and its gonna be a serious test for Tipp to see how the squad has improved since we are in a similar place to where we were this time last year after the league.

Ompala wrote: »
    As a Tipp fan this has me worried big time, whenever teams really get in our faces our lads seem to panic very easily and give stupid and hopeless passes!

Limerick definitely gonna be fired up after watching Waterford last week, and its gonna be a serious test for Tipp to see how the squad has improved since we are in a similar place to where we were this time last year after the league.

The difference being last year ye had a good early league, thumped Dublin, but were comprehensively beaten by Kilkenny.

This year you started poorly enough, but grew, avoided the relegation play-off, beat Cork in a thriller, beat the All-Ireland champions and the game against KK went to the last puck.

There is a difference.

Limerick are in a similar place really.... in both we had one very good performance, failed to get promoted and looked well off the pace in our last game. Last year we were able to get ourselves psyched up for the Championship and had a gameplan to beat ye. This year, not so certain.... we didn't have any infighting last year either.

But at least we'll have Downes this year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

The difference being last year ye had a good early league, thumped Dublin, but were comprehensively beaten by Kilkenny.

This year you started poorly enough, but grew, avoided the relegation play-off, beat Cork in a thriller, beat the All-Ireland champions and the game against KK went to the last puck.

There is a difference.

Limerick are in a similar place really.... in both we had one very good performance, failed to get promoted and looked well off the pace in our last game. Last year we were able to get ourselves psyched up for the Championship and had a gameplan to beat ye. This year, not so certain.... we didn't have any infighting last year either.

But at least we'll have Downes this year.....

Fair points there, but we still don't have a strong bench, which was clear against Kilkenny in the league final, bar one our subs didn't make an impact. If its very close this sunday entering the last ten minutes, hard to know who we can call on to make a difference.

Can't wait for Sunday anyway :D

Ompala wrote: »
    Fair points there, but we still don't have a strong bench, which was clear against Kilkenny in the league final, bar one our subs didn't make an impact. If its very close this sunday entering the last ten minutes, hard to know who we can call on to make a difference.

Can't wait for Sunday anyway :D

I'd agree there. One place we may have an edge over you.... although hopefully not at a cost to our starting team.

If a team of:

Quaid, Walsh, Richie Mc, Condon, Hickey, Wayne, Gavin, Browne, T. Ryan, Hannon, Dodge, Jim-Bob, Mul, Dowling, Downes is picked.... then we'd have Paudie O'Brien, Alan Dempsey, Mark Carmody, Cathal King as defensive/midfield subs, with Allis, Breen, Tobin in attack. Maybe no world beaters, but players who can make an impact.

If Paudie is picked over Walsh/Hickey, then we'd have one of them to come in. Really don't think we can afford to drop Hickey, and he has to be in a place where his work rate can be used efficiently.

Football team announced earlier, some surprises:

1. Donal O’Sullivan (Monaleen)
    2. Colm Moran (Monaleen)
    3. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kieran’s)
    4. Sean O’Dea (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    5. Iain Corbett (Newcastlewest)
    6. Stephen Lucey (Croom)
    7. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    8. Tom Lee (Ballylanders)
    9. Darragh Treacy (St. Kieran’s)
    10. Michéal Brosnan (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    11. Cian Sheehan (Newcastlewest)
    12. Seanie Buckley (Captain) (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    13. Eoin Hanrahan (St Patrick’s)
    14. Ger Collins (Monaleen)
    15. Ian Ryan (Vice Captain) (St. Senan’s)

Now, Brudair has picked dummy teams at times, so it may not start like that, but I wouldn't be totally shocked. The biggest absentees are John Galvin, Razor, John Riordan and Pa Ranahan. I mean, those are big players.

5 debutants- both corner-backs, 2 of the half-forward line and Boris Hanrahan. And Cian Sheehan barely featured in the league, yet now he's included in the starting fifteen for the Championship?

It's interesting... at least it does give us a big bench to call upon- Galvin is still a class act, Riordan is probably the best runner in the team, and both Ranahan and Razor have huge experience. You've also got the work rate of O'Meara, Neville has scoring ability, as does Phair, Mullane was used a lot during the league, and both Hegarty and Fitzgibbon are excellent ball-winners.

Apparently Seamus O'Carroll has left the panel, playing soccer for Pike. Stephen Kelly is training but not fit. Bobby O'Brien, Eoghan O'Connor and Derry O'Connor haven't returned...... I know Eoghan O'Connor is back from travelling, thought he might be involved, but it appears not. He's a huge loss to the attack and O'Brien is an even bigger loss, I reckon he's our best midfielder outside of Galvin personally. O'Carroll himself is a loss too- has pace and is always a goal threat.

Still, I have faith in Brudair, he's putting together a good panel, and I reckon we have a good chance against Tipp. We're at home, rejecting the move to make it a double header. Tipp have serious scoring power but if we can limit their attack, we have a big chance. That's why Lucey is in, I suppose; wouldn't be surprised to see Sheehan drop a bit deeper, thought Riordan might do that job. Looking forward to it.

Quaid, Hickey, Richie, Condon, POB, Wayne, GOM, Browne, Ryan, Hannon, Dodge, Dowling, Mulcahy, Downes, Tobin.

Quaid, Hickey, Richie, Condon, POB, Wayne, GOM, Browne, Ryan, Hannon, Dodge, Dowling, Mulcahy, Downes, Tobin.

Jim-Bob at midfield, or Tom Ryan?

• Advertisement

Jim-Bob at midfield, or Tom Ryan?

It's Jimbob. I was expecting Tom Ryan to start.

I see an awful lot of weaknesses in that team to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement