Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gary Gurney

Well lads long time reader first time poster. Just wondering what the football heads on here make of Eamonn Fitzgerald from Knockaderry seems to have all the attributes of the modern day midfielder (pace height fitness and power) think he is worth having a look at

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TrickyMickey1

Well lads long time reader first time poster. Just wondering what the football heads on here make of Eamonn Fitzgerald from Knockaderry seems to have all the attributes of the modern day midfielder (pace height fitness and power) think he is worth having a look at

Not good enough.Next please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just come from the Malaysian flight thread and you were trolling there also. Cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Yeah lads, I don't come here to read pointless arguments tbf, come here to talk about Limerick.

Anyone see that Diarmuid Dee from Mungret got called up to the Junior World Cup squad for the Ireland U-20s? Decent achievement... he didn't feature at all during the U-20 6 Nations, but if he can get even a game or two and perform well, he might have an outside chance of getting a professional contract. Presume he won't be playing for the Limerick U-21s either way.

Dont think he plays hurling anymore. We played mungret intermediates last year and there was no sign of him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Never seen him play, but what club is he playing football for? Are Deel Rangers still around?

Still, if a player is good enough, I reckon they had a better chance of getting noticed this year than any other.... Brudair had fairly extensive trials. I come from a junior club and we had 2 players in the extended panel.

tommullane wrote: »
    Dont think he plays hurling anymore. We played mungret intermediates last year and there was no sign of him

Hard to blame him if he thinks he can get a rugby contract, although I thought he was playing intermediate last year, must be mistaken.

• Advertisement

Hard to blame him if he thinks he can get a rugby contract, although I thought he was playing intermediate last year, must be mistaken.

When we played him in a challenge game he wasnt there anyway you could be right. Big enough loss for the 21s was a fine hurler when he was younger more strength on the ball than skill though

tommullane wrote: »
    When we played him in a challenge game he wasnt there anyway you could be right. Big enough loss for the 21s was a fine hurler when he was younger more strength on the ball than skill though

Yeah but look at the likes of Johnny Glynn, if he use a player like that properly, they can be a huge asset. He may never have been an intercounty standard player, but would be a good addition to the 21s and Mungret could certainly have used him over the next few years as they try and push for senior.

Yeah but look at the likes of Johnny Glynn, if he use a player like that properly, they can be a huge asset. He may never have been an intercounty standard player, but would be a good addition to the 21s and Mungret could certainly have used him over the next few years as they try and push for senior.

completely agree. feel he could play a similar role to david breen at inter county standard if he continued to develop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Friday
    SHC; South Liberties v Effin (Caherconlish, 7pm)

Saturday
    PIHC; Blackrock v Knockaderry (Kilmallock, 5.15pm)
    SHC; Adare v Doon (Kilmallock, 7pm)
    PIHC; Bruree v Dromin-Athlacca (Bruff,5.15pm)
    SHC; Murroe-Boher v Knockainey (Bruff, 7pm)
    SHC; Granagh-Ballingarry v Ballybrown (Mick Neville Park, Rathkeale, 7pm)
    PIHC; Hospital-Herbertstown v Croom (Kilfinnane, 7pm)

Sunday
    PIHC; Bruff v Garryspillane (Kilmallock, 1.30pm)
    SHC; Ahane v Patrickswell (Bruff, 2pm)
    SHC; Na Piarsaigh v Kilmallock (Bruff, 7pm)

Only two double headers this weekend, game of the weekend has to be Kilmallock v Na Piarsaigh in Bruff on Sunday night. Oddly, the Ahane v Patrickswell will be on at the same venue earlier that day but the CB have chosen not to make it a double header. A real glamour double header that could have been; the two traditional powerhouses followed by a clash of the two who have dominated for the last 4 years.

Adare v Doon should be a good tie on Saturday, as should the curtain raiser (Knockaderry v Blackrock), I'm looking forward to that one.

Having spoken to a few players and others related to the county camp; it is now clear to me that Donal O'Grady was a bit of a problem.... I'm not going to go in to specifics but I will say this much; note the silence from the players on O'Grady leaving, TJ has made a statement coming out in defence of O'Grady but not one player has publicly commented. No players have come out in support of O'Grady, and none have called for his return. I can confirm; NOT a coincidence.

All the best lads; it's been interesting ;)

Hanalei closed his account, one of the best posters on here :/

As to his last points, I have heard there were lots of problems before too, but it still doesn't make TJ any better as a manager really. It just shows that they should never have been appointed in the first place.

And not playing the double header is also madness.

• Advertisement

I know there's not as many football fans as hurling here, but the football Championship started last weekend, some interesting results. In senior anyway.

Group 1
    Fr. Casey's 0-10 Newcastlewest 0-09
    Ballysteen 1-12 Galbally 1-07
    St. Kieran's 1-13 Adare 1-09

The big match was between Casey's and NCW, both of whom were really disappointing last year. Like, really bad considering their expectations. Both sides will be looking for a huge improvement. It's first blood to Casey's, who have Liam Kearns involved this year... don't know how much of an impact he will be have, but everyone in Limerick still owes a huge amount to him for what he did for Limerick football. NCW got rid of Teddy McCarthy, and will be disappointed with a loss, but with only a point in it, both sides will be expecting to qualify.

Already looks like it will be between Galbally and Adare for relegation... Both lost their opening game, and will be up against it. And then between St. Kieran's and Ballysteen to qualify for the knockouts, although I would say both would fancy their chances of upsetting the big two on a given day. St. Kieran's did quite well last year, and Ballysteen are a strong, hard-working side.

Group 2
    St. Mary's/Sean Finn's 0-14 Pallasgreen 1-06
    Drom/Broadford 1-14 St. Patrick's 0-07
    Ballylanders 0-17 Monaleen 0-12

People doubt Drom every year, say they have an aging team and mightn't be able to last the pace but they're going for a three-in-a-row and who would back against them this year? And apparently the 2nd half against Pats was amazing, just blew them away. Pats aren't a bad team, would have fancied catching them out on the opening day and were winning at half-time.

The Rathkeale boys got a good win against Pallasgreen, who can best be described as a dour footballing side. Can grind out results, but I'd be surprised if they lasted longer than this year, the other teams would seem to be a lot better. Sean Finn's are a youthful, pacy, attacking team; be very interesting to see how they get on. I think it'll be tight this year- Pats are decent, as are Rathkeale, while Ballylanders beat Monaleen. Monaleen are a strong side and you'd expect them to qualify, but that leaves 1 spot for 3 of the others, and Bally have already got a great result on board.

It makes for a very interesting Championship imo. Hurling this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Eoin O'Connor played with Sean Finns last weekend, so good news for Limerick football management. Had previously heard that he would be travelling this year and wouldn't be available for club or county.
    Bobby O'Brien is also back in the country after studies abroad so hopefully he will also be available for the Munster championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Unless there is some legitimate reason that's not apparent then not playing the double header is scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Unless there is some legitimate reason that's not apparent then not playing the double header is scandalous.

Only heard it second hand and from somebody not involved in either club but apparently it was Kilmallock who requested their game be put back untill that evening and Na Paiarsaigh agreed.

Limerick Senior Hurling Championship
    Group 1
    Adare 5/1
    Patrickswell 8/1
    Doon 10/1
    Ahane 14/1
    Murroe/Boher 20/1
    Knockainey 33/1

Group 2
    Na Piarsaigh 15/8
    Kilmallock 9/4
    Ballybrown 11/1
    South Liberties 40/1
    Granagh/Ballingarry 50/1
    Effin 50/1

At the outset, I would say it's hard to see beyond one of Na Piarsaigh, Kilmallock or Doon winning the Limerick Championship. NaP & Kilmallock have won the last 4 between them, and Doon have an up-and-coming team with some underage success in recent years. Adare got to the final last year, but I can't see them having enough to win against one of the big 2 in a knockout fixture, while the Well's odds are ridiculously short- surely on past reputation, they're not a side contending for the Championship at this stage.

The new Championship format makes it interesting, certainly very close for qualification for the knockouts & relegation. In Group 1, I'd fancy Doon to build on last year (I've actually bet on them each way to win it outright) and to qualify. Adare should have enough to go through, but any of the others could do it, if they hit a bit of form. Knockainey would look like the weakest side there, but even one win could be enough to stay up.

In the other Group, Kilmallock and Na Piarsaigh will almost certainly progress to the knockout stages, and Ballybrown look favourites to join them. Not much between the other three teams though.

Round One Fixtures

Group One
    Adare (4/5) vs Doon (11/10) Draw (8/1)- Saturday, Kilmallock, 7pm
    A repeat of last year's semi-final, Adare came out on top that day, after Doon had rushed into an early lead. The pace and movement of Doon's attack could cause serious problems for an aging Adare defence; Dean Coleman, Pat Ryan, Mikey Ryan, etc. have the capacity to run riot, while Doon also have one of the best half-back lines in the county. Declan Hannon is back from injury, if he is fit enough, he can destroy even the best of teams at that level, and Willie Griffin is a real dangerman inside. I do think the fact that Doon don't have many involved with the final county panel will be a big help over the course of the year, they'll be able to train together, so Adare will really be targeting this. But if Hannon is in any way unfit, I think Doon have the advantage here. They'll have learned from last year and will be hoping to go one better.

Prediction- Doon.

Murroe/Boher (3/10) vs Knockainey (5/2) Draw (10/1)- Saturday, Bruff, 7pm
    Odds are tilted well in favour of Murroe/Boher and I do think they'll win this one. Knockainey won't be easily beat, but I think they're going to be missing a few, and they're just not quite on the same level of Murroe/Boher who have been desperately unlucky not to make the quarter-finals in the last couple of years. They'll be aiming to make amends this year, although they rely on Seanie Tobin for scores waaaay too much.

Prediction- Murroe/Boher.

Patrickswell (4/7) vs Ahane (6/4) Draw (9/1)- Sunday, Bruff, 2pm
    Two former greats of Limerick hurling, both well off the standard necessary to be county champions in the current era. The Well did get to the U-21 final, and although they were blown away in the 2nd half, it will be encouraging for them; they have some excellent players coming through- the likes of Jack Kelliher, Kevin O'Brien, Diarmuid Byrnes, the Carmodys and of course, Cian Lynch. Lynch might be missing this one, he's got the Leaving Cert in a month... if he's available, he'll be a huge asset. Ahane have a few decent players of their own, but most of their best assets are either very young or getting on. It'll be close, and I don't expect either to really challenge, but I think Patrickswell will be looking to improve a lot this season, after failing to reach the knockout stages last year, and will have the edge here.

Prediction- Patrickswell.

Group Two
    South Liberties (8/11) vs Effin (6/5) Draw (8/1)- Friday, Caherconlish, 7pm
    Should be a very tight encounter, as even at this early stage, a loss will put one of them in real danger of going down, while the other might have a chance of qualifying for the quarter-final. Realistically, neither of these sides look good enough to beat the big 2 yet. Liberties look better on paper, but seem to already rely on Barry Nash, who is still a minor... Tom Ryan is a super hurler, but doesn't always dominate for his club as you may expect. The Quaids will play a big part for Effin, I don't think there's many better half-backs in the county than Nicky. Effin have got some good results in the All County League, and although that's not always a great barometer for the Championship, it may give them some much-needed confidence. Most people seem to be tipping Liberties, but I reckon Effin might sneak this one.

Prediction- Effin.

Ballybrown (1/2) vs Granagh/Ballingarry (7/4) Draw (8/1)- Saturday, Rathkeale, 7pm
    Granagh/Ballingarry performed heroics to stay up last year, while Ballybrown had an impressive first season back at senior. Again, I think a team like Ballybrown will actually be bolstered by not having players involved with the intercounty team. They are mostly a very young team, still developing, with lots of players around involved with U-21 teams over the past few years, some just around the fringes. Possibly unlucky not to get a bit more recognition. Ballingarry... they're a decent enough side, but they lack some top quality, and I think they may struggle this year. Ballybrown to win this one.

Prediction- Ballybrown.

Na Piarsaigh (10/11) vs Kilmallock (evens) Draw (8/1)- Sunday, Bruff, 7pm
    The big one. Met in last year's semi-final and the year before, the winner on both occasions went on to win the county. They are the two best teams in the county at the moment and have some class players between them- Graeme Mul, Downes, Paudie O'Brien, Shane Dowling, Gavin, Alan Dempsey... as well as the likes of Eoin Ryan, Barry Hennessy, James O'Brien and Ronan Lynch. Both have new managers, both will be well fired up. Na Piarsaigh are the Munster champions and have some wonderful young players coming through, but it took them a while to get going last year, their new management came in late enough and they will be without David Breen (and possibly Adrian too?). For that reason, I think Kilmallock may just edge this one, although a draw is certainly possible.

Prediction- Kilmallock.

If you were to take an accumulator of Doon, Murroe/Boher, Patrickswell, Effin, Ballybrown, Kilmallock and they were all to win:

€5 would return €141.57
    €1 would return €28.31
    €10 would return €283.14

If you were to take out the NaP/Balbec game, €1 would return you €14.16, €5 would get you €70.79. Worth a flutter imo.

No odds on paddy power for the Premier Intermediate, but it is already looking like it will be an incredibly close competition. They've already played one round of fixtures a couple of weeks ago.

Bruff are in-form, they beat Bruree. And with Garryspillane losing badly to Dromin/Athlacca, you'd expect Bruff to notch 2 from 2. I thought Garryspillane were unlucky to go down and would have been my pick to come back up, but Bruff are doing well this year.

Croom beat Knockaderry which slightly surprised me, I thought Knockaderry might surprise people and come up this year. They're playing Blackrock this week, and I think they might edge it.

Blackrock's match against H/H was postponed, but H/H might fancy their chances of beating Croom. Should be close. And then Bruree against Dromin/Athlacca... if Dromin/Athlacca's first game was anything to go by, they should get another 2 points here.

Although, on paper, these teams all seem so evenly matched, it wouldn't be surprising if there were some very weird results and inconsistent form. I wasn't really in favour of dropping teams for senior, but if it makes this a very competitive competition with the promoted teams well-prepared for senior and producing a good level of games for potential intercounty players, tehn that's good.

Intermediate level is the same as senior, 2 groups of 6. My own club aren't playing this weekend, but all 10 of the other teams are. I think Mungret, Glenroe and Monaleen are probably most likely to contend for the titles this year, they would seem to be the standout sides on paper, anyway. Mungret and Glenroe actually play this weekend; in Bruff tomorrow evening. Should be interesting.

Well, my predictions went disastrously wrong on Friday night; as South Liberties gave Effin a bit of a beating. 2-15 to 0-8. Didn't see that one coming.

The 3 today went as planned though.

Ballybrown beat G/B by 7, always thought they'd have too much firepower.
    Murroe/Boher beat Knockainey by 9, a similar story, Knockainey finished with 13 men apparently.

And I don't know why so many people thought Adare would beat Doon. At this stage of the year, and Adare having a few injury problems, it was always likely Doon would start well. They won 1-15 to 0-10. Mikey Ryan got the goal.

Patrickswell and Kilmallock are my predictions for tomorrow, but you'd expect both games to be a a lot closer than today's ones.

Na Piarsiagh won well, ill do a write up later

Kilmallock started well with Mulcahy and GOM at centre and half forward running free early doors and putting them about 5 points up with the aid of a good breeze.

Ronan lynch got moved back to sweeper to tighten things up, the match changed when kilmallock allowed lynchs man to move upfield also, this left way too much space at the back and Downes got a great goal and willie o'donoghue scored a couple of points as well. Despite kilmallocks superiority thagt switch and two missed goal chances from both mulcahys only left Na P one point down at half time.

Na P ran amok in the second half, kilmallock inexplicably left david breen free and he cleaned up, they also played GOM at midfield in the second half which didn't work, they should have left him in the forwards imo.

Most of the county players were very good, sadly POB is totally out of form and cant start for the county now.

Barry Hennessey was outstanding in goal 3 good saves and a 4th that was reminiscient of Joe quaid v cork in '94

GOM and mul were excellent after that kilmallock were middlin to poor

Willie O'Donoghue, dave Dempsey and downes all starred for Na P

Downes has to play half for the county, he's our best half forward since Kirby

Barry Hennessey made a big push for a county spot also

WO'D and Dave Dempsey have big futures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Anyone know where or when the Dublin challenge match is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Tipp are flying it, they will be hard bet for Munster and I expect to see them in an AI final this year--- Let's hope the back door is kind to Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's gas really - 6 weeks ago when Tipp were beaten by Galway they looked like being in a relegation play-off, but now they're flying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Hi Folks..,really appreciate if ye took a look at the thread I have started on hurl sizes and gave quick reply to it,all the best,BL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

It's gas really - 6 weeks ago when Tipp were beaten by Galway they looked like being in a relegation play-off, but now they're flying it!

Nobody had Clare winning the ai this time last year. In a way a kind backdoor would suit limerick to build momentum.

The real business end of the championship starts in August.

For the Dublin challenge game, IMO there's a few questions this match can sort out for us.

1 Dowling has to start and not be on the frees. I've defended him a long time but have lost patience following what I've seen of him recently -start him full forward as a last chance, no frees, if he doesn't deliver from play he can't start and can't be fooling anyone including himself any more.
    2. Start Hannon and give him the frees, he had a blip, it happens, give him the vote of confidence and a chance to see how it goes.
    3. Run Downes at 11. I reckon he's our best forward and this is looking like his best position. If we are to have a chance we need him and Hannon on as much ball as possible. (And mulcahy but I don't expect him to be free scoring against Cahill). Last chance to try downes here, presumably he'll be FF v tipp if dowling hasn't pulled the finger out.
    4. Start Tom Ryan. Bit of a sketchy record this league maybe but has been excellent whenever he played. Give him some time at wing back because Paudie has been looking under pressure.
    5. Give Walsh and king time in the corner -presumably the position is between them, time to call it. BUT what the hell does Dempsey have to do to get a proper chance??? He should have had more games and a chance to claim this position.
    6. Start Hickey. Who knows where he'll be pencilled in. Midfield, wing back? Paudie and DOG could be under pressure to keep places.
    7. Start Breen. Not certain Allis has nailed down his place, Breen needs a run and his physicality is probably needed v tipp.

Last thought, I've been calling for someone else to be tried at 6, but Wayne is probably our only man than might contain Bonnar Maher.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

For the Dublin challenge game, IMO there's a few questions this match can sort out for us.

1 Dowling has to start and not be on the frees. I've defended him a long time but have lost patience following what I've seen of him recently -start him full forward as a last chance, no frees, if he doesn't deliver from play he can't start and can't be fooling anyone including himself any more.
    2. Start Hannon and give him the frees, he had a blip, it happens, give him the vote of confidence and a chance to see how it goes.
    3. Run Downes at 11. I reckon he's our best forward and this is looking like his best position. If we are to have a chance we need him and Hannon on as much ball as possible. (And mulcahy but I don't expect him to be free scoring against Cahill). Last chance to try downes here, presumably he'll be FF v tipp if dowling hasn't pulled the finger out.
    4. Start Tom Ryan. Bit of a sketchy record this league maybe but has been excellent whenever he played. Give him some time at wing back because Paudie has been looking under pressure.
    5. Give Walsh and king time in the corner -presumably the position is between them, time to call it. BUT what the hell does Dempsey have to do to get a proper chance??? He should have had more games and a chance to claim this position.
    6. Start Hickey. Who knows where he'll be pencilled in. Midfield, wing back? Paudie and DOG could be under pressure to keep places.
    7. Start Breen. Not certain Allis has nailed down his place, Breen needs a run and his physicality is probably needed v tipp.

Last thought, I've been calling for someone else to be tried at 6, but Wayne is probably our only man than might contain Bonnar Maher.

Would agree with most of that to be honest. I agree about dowling and Hannon on the frees. Personally think it is too late for Hickey to challenge for a starting spot against Tipp but may have somehting to offer from the bench. Dempsey is very unlucky because I would consider him better than what we have at 2, 5 and 8 but for whatever reason, he hasn't been looked at so unlikely he will be there in June.

At the moment, I think championship team is looking like the following with a few places up for grabs:
    1. N. Quaid
    3. R McCarthy
    4. T Condon
    6. W McNamara
    7. G O'Mahony
    9. P Browne
    10. D Hannon
    12. J Ryan
    14. K Downes
    15. G Mulcahy

D O Grady will start although where is up for debate. You would expect S Walsh and Paudie O'Brien to start also. Places up for grabs for the likes of T Ryan, C King, C Allis, D Breen, S Hickey, S Tobin, S Dowling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I'd leave Dowling on frees. Much better free taker than Hannon and can score from almost any range. You'd hope both players can prove their fitness in the club games before the Tipp game. Dowling didn't score from play over the weekend I don't think and Hannon only got 1 or 2 points from play. Disappointing enough

Colemania wrote: »
    I'd leave Dowling on frees. Much better free taker than Hannon and can score from almost any range. You'd hope both players can prove their fitness in the club games before the Tipp game. Dowling didn't score from play over the weekend I don't think and Hannon only got 1 or 2 points from play. Disappointing enough

My point is if Dowling isn't doing anything from play he can't be allowed start and taking the frees shouldn't disguise that fact. Hopefully he is coming right in time for the tipp game but time will tell.

• Advertisement

Dowling didnt over extend himself the other night. Rattled over the first score from play but was very quiet after that until the rampage started and he was at FF.

He looked reasonably fit to me and also Na P won the u-21 the week before so can understand him not being at full tilt (Ronan lynch wasnt exceptional either) and he's done and has a lot of hurling ahead of him this year.

I would play him FF and i can see the point regarding taking him off the frees.

He was still our main threat v cork this year and he's been fundamental to every limerick success in the last 3 years. Clubs and munsters with NA P. U-21 munster title 2 years ago. Both championship wins last year. We want more from him for sure but if we held every player to the same standards we expect of dowling we wouldnt field a team.

He's still only 21 and has probably more hurling under his belt than everyone on this thread in a lifetime, you cant be a superstar all the time.

other positions in brief
    Hennessey or murphy, nickie to get a run at half back

Walsh/richie/condon
    Ryan/wayne/GOM
    Browne/DOG/Dempsey
    Hannon/Downes/Jimbob
    Dowling/Mulcahy

I dont think allis is good enough.
    Hickey not for me.
    POB totally out of form
    King, bad day v galway but improving all the time
    DOG & wayne mac are borderline selections