Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

https://twitter.com/laherne95/status/464501211467898880

Davy Clarke joining the management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Interesting development - TJ would have played with and against clarke a lot of clearly there's a healthy mutual respect to pick a player from a rival club.

Didnt davy have a stint training at club level that didnt work out(or was it u-21?)? Either way he was a top class player and im sure any half back would look forward to working with him, if he can improve our half back line i'll be happy. Serious reader of the game as a player, hopefully he can bring some of those skills to management.

Interesting development - TJ would have played with and against clarke a lot of clearly there's a healthy mutual respect to pick a player from a rival club.

Didnt davy have a stint training at club level that didnt work out(or was it u-21?)? Either way he was a top class player and im sure any half back would look forward to working with him, if he can improve our half back line i'll be happy. Serious reader of the game as a player, hopefully he can bring some of those skills to management.

One of my favourite ever limerick players but it's hard to see what he brings that to the management team they they don't already have. As far as I'm aware he doesn't have massively extensive coaching experience like maybe Cregan or downes or any other coaches involved in limerick at the mo; he hasn't been involved with any hugely successful teams that I'm aware of; and he doesn't have recent involvement with modern intercounty hurling like maybe one of the Morans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

One of my favourite ever limerick players but it's hard to see what he brings that to the management team they they don't already have. As far as I'm aware he doesn't have massively extensive coaching experience like maybe Cregan or downes or any other coaches involved in limerick at the mo; he hasn't been involved with any hugely successful teams that I'm aware of; and he doesn't have recent involvement with modern intercounty hurling like maybe one of the Morans.

As someone pointed out, his ability to read the game as a player was top class- Let's hope that transfers to the sidelines as Teege hasn't been the quickest to react thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Not meaning to be smart or to antagonise anyone and I know very little of Clarke's coaching/managment history - I think he was invloved with Limerick U21 circa 2001 - but I can't imagine they were queing up for the gig in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Been busy all week, forgot there was SHC on this weekend. Murroe/Boher beating Adare atm, I think.

As for Davy Clarke, I like him, good player... don't know anything about his coaching abilities. We'll see, I suppose. I presume he wasn't just picked for the laugh, they must think he offers something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

pay back time, who led the revolt, who voted for tj to be co manager first time round, who did tj get to come back as soon as he had the job for himself.

flutered wrote: »
    pay back time, who led the revolt, who voted for tj to be co manager first time round, who did tj get to come back as soon as he had the job for himself.

Not sure about that. The kilmallock boys walked out because TJ brought donie along as a trainer not a revolt against DO'G. Plus Clarke is hardly a kilmallock insider given that he played rugby for bruff and has a pub there after finishing with kilmallock. And hasn't been involved as far as I know.

Garryspillane had a good 6 point win last night giving the young fellas gametime and its paying dividend so far. Apparently colin Ryan will be a county level player.

went to see effin v ballybrown

Shocking weather and it played a big part with ballybrown coming off worse with a huge wind in the first half leaving them 1-09 - 0-0 at HT. The wind wasn't as strong in the 2nd half and a hungrier effin side won well 1-12 -0-07.

Ballybrown wont be happy with the ref, they came off second best in the 50-50's and ridiculously effin gave tommy quaid a dry hurley for every free.

All that said nicky quaid was head and shoulders above any other player on the field, I cant see how any manager could keep him in goal.

moloney and sheedy also played well for effin and ross griffen might have been ok for ballybrown but that's just guessing any team who'd score 7 points cant have too many stand outs in fairness.

And Clarke will be ratified Tuesday night, players wanted more coaching really don't think there's anymore to it than that

Saw Kill v GB last night

Same story for kilmallock, GOM and Graeme excellent. Paidi only ok. Jake mulchay gave his best performance to date.

GB are no mugs, there backs were generally good until they got run ragged in the last 15.

Sadly DO'G was quiet in the 2nd half and i dont think he has more than a half in him at county level.

I see liberties ran Na P to 4 points - wasnt there or anything but im going to assume Tomas ryan had a big game - anyone see it or here details?

On homegrown coaches, i see from yesterdays (excellent) program that Mike Galligan is coaching croom they got a result yesterday too.

Anyway for the upcaoming dublin game id start nicky and tomas at half back and tell em there playing for 1 spot, dempsey deserves a shot at midfield and downes at CF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Was at Adare and Murroe on Friday night, been away all weekend so I'll post my thoughts on it now.

Firstly, I thought it was weird Seamus Hickey only arrived 15 minutes before throw in. Murroe had been out warming up maybe for 15 minutes before that. I seen then in the Saturday papers he was on hand doing promotional photos for NewsTalk up in Dublin. Bitta common sense from Seamus or whoever selected him to go up there would have selected a player playing later on in the weekend, hardly ideal preparation for his club.

Although they may look back at giving away 1-1 from short puck outs, Murroe will be kicking themselves they lost this game, they were firmly in control after 20 minutes and the scoreline reflected this as it was 7 to 3 in their favour. Then Pat Tobin missed a one on one with arrowing shot towards the top corner that just went wide. That miss inspired Adare to outscore their opponents 0-5 to 0-2 to leave the half time score at 0-9 to 0-8 for Murroe.
    The game changed completely on a two minute spell where Murroe had Seamus Hickey bearing down on goal deciding to handpass to Pat Walsh who somehow contrived to miss a certain goal. IMO Hickey should have gone for the goal himself. Striaght after that Murroe had a puckout and went short. It seemed to me that the corner back Johnaton Dervan wasn't expecting it as he was jogging out to his position with his back turned to the ball when it was pucked. Unfortunately he panicked when the ball arrived as his feet, once, twice, three times he failed to pick up the ball and the subdued Willie Griffin nipped in and finished clinically to the net. That sequence really turned the game on its head and despite the best efforts of Sean Tobin, Mike Ryan and Seamus Hickey, Adare just had enough to get them over the line.

On the county players, Wayne Mc bullied Seanie Tobin in the first half, Tobin moved out to the wing after 25 minutes and stayed there. Wayne used the ball well on what is a short field for hurling.
    John Fitz hurled very well on midfield, hit way more ball than his opposite number Darragh Kennedy and drove the team on from there. That said his influence only grew when Murroe moved Conor Byrnes back into the half back.
    Declan Hannon looked fit and strong, scored a beautiful point out by the far sideline. Missed one free throughout the game.
    Seamus Hickey was good, handicapped by his position as he is not a scoring forward but won a lot of puckouts.
    Seanie Tobin, as I said he was bullied by Wayne Mc but looked far more comfortable and dangerous out on the wing. Kept Murroe in the game in the second half. Scored a wonderful point off his hurling in the second half. Didn't miss a free I think.

Can't see either team doing much damage in the knockout stages. Murroe have a good 15 but are very short on depth. They are relying on two teenagers to hurl in midfield and when there is any sort of change being made, it always seems to impact with a two or three positional changes.
    Adare's problem lies in their forwards. Bar Hannon they are a very small unit up top. They know how to win though and showed that on Friday night, they made themselves hard to beat once they got a big advantage. Perhaps conditions were unkind to them on Friday and they may be a different proposition when the ball is dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aoganmacc

First Post.

My starting team would be

Quaid
    King/Richie/Condon
    Paudie/Wayne/GOM
    Brownie/DOG/ with Hickey as a sub for DOG when he get tired and game loosens up
    Downes/James Ryan/Hannon
    Tobin/Dowling/Mulcahy

This debate re Dowling not doing enough to merit a place is irrelevant, when Hannon failed to deliver from frees in semi final and when dowling came on and hit everyone over all where asking why he doesnt start, he is also our best penalty taker. Every game ebbs and flows and if you have a free taker in your'e armory that can stick a point from 100 yards you have to have him on the pitch...he is not just our best free taker but in the top 3 in the country

heard there was a fairly "vigorous" training session last night!!!!

heard there was a fairly "vigorous" training session last night!!!!

Go on...

U21 v Senior

U21's getting the edge

Anything id write after that would be negative so i wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Interesting! Any chance of elaboration?

a "vigorous" training session is actually music to my ears...

Nah, unless i saw it or heard first hand i wouldnt write up, as bill mclaren would say there was a bit of argy bargy. Normally i agree that its a healthy thing shows players give a damn about their place etc. Just hope there's no fall out.

Anyone hear where the dublin game is on?

So the u21s roasted the seniors...

Was looking at the championship betting their on PP and i see they have kilmallock and effin priced up for this sunday night. surely that cant be right. In fairness PP are never wrong with schedules/fixtures and there was a heavy effin presence in dromcollogher last sunday. Anyone??? One intermediate game up as well.

H/H and Blackrock is PIHC
    Effin vs Kilmallock South Senior Hurling Championship.

Find it odd PP are taking bets on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Is it true that in the u21's senior match that James Ryan pulled a nasty stroke on an u21 hurler? Turned into a bit of a scuffle I heard.

Was going to post the other day but I've heard it a few times since.

glued wrote: »
    Is it true that in the u21's senior match that James Ryan pulled a nasty stroke on an u21 hurler? Turned into a bit of a scuffle I heard.

Was going to post the other day but I've heard it a few times since.

Yes. Holy war broke out after it.

there could be another side to that story, jimbob isnt really a dirty player(though physical), and the u-21's certainly brought plenty of physicality. but yeah what followed is scarcely believeable

The under 21s have settled on a gameplan to take on Clare then by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Are limerick playing Galway this weekend in a challenge. Any word on location and time

kala85 wrote: »
    Are limerick playing Galway this weekend in a challenge. Any word on location and time

Tonight at 6.30 Tullamore.

A bit more of a report would be better?!

Personally, I thought it would be on today.

francozola wrote: »
    A bit more of a report would be better?!

Personally, I thought it would be on today.

Yeah thats 4 games in 6 days. club, u-21, Dublin galway. Whats the fcukin point in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

Yeah thats 4 games in 6 days. club, u-21, Dublin galway. Whats the fcukin point in that.

management always know best.:D

• Advertisement

Vanolder wrote: »
    Badly beaten.

Was Hickey at 4 again. Dodgy at 11?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement