Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It's Jimbob. I was expecting Tom Ryan to start.

I see an awful lot of weaknesses in that team to be honest.

Hmmm... me too.

There are positives too... our 6 best scoring forwards are on the pitch (imo). But do we have the ball-winners to feed them the ball? A half-forward line with both Hannon and Dowling could have issues...

And the defence... Hickey at corner-back? A class player, but that's not making full use of his talents. Paudie on the wing, Wayne through the middle... not unsurprising, but not overly strong either. Even a slight reshuffling would improve the team.

And tactically... do we have the gameplan? Doubtful.

But... I will say one thing. If we play a high-pressure game, if TJ can get the lads motivated, we do have the forwards to take chances that come our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I see an awful lot of weaknesses in that team, it doesn't inspire me with confidence. Last year we picked a team to deal with tipp based on workrate and physicality, this team doesn't even have that.

Glad to see Hannon back at half forward but we lose Hickey as our extra half back who made us tick last year. On the other wing we lose Breen who was effective and gain Dowling who on all known form this year will be ate alive and simply should not start. Tobin starting means a very light ff line and no impact sub inside forward. Paudie and Hickey very suspect for the positions they're picked in. And good hurlers both but we've picked probably the smallest midfield in Ireland.

We could have put out a better 15 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Not impressed, not much more to be said to what ye've written lads.

Hickey and POB named on the same side, could be seriously exposed, and with Richie not really match fit and wayne mac not the fastest either we could be opened up. Could be reaching for waslsh and T ryan fairly early if the goals fly in. not confident.

The 1B teams struggled in the 1/4 of league, cork were slow off last week, the first 20 crucial, if we're more than 6 down forget it. After that we have a chance, if we rotate the forwards we can cause them trouble, downes out for a spell. T Ryan, dempsey, walsh, breen, allis to come on, hassle and harry. Dont think there that strong a side, just not sure we've given ourselves the best chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

In my opinion last years team was worse on paper.

I don't understand posters saying they're worried about Hickey and O'Brien. Two seasoned campaigners, no worries about them.
    6 natural forwards. It wouldn't surprise me if there are changes before throw in planned. Sean Tobin is a surprise but he seems to perform well in Championship. Interesting to see what formation they take on as well. Does Downes drift out to the half forwards, allow Dodge or Hannon to drift into midfield and play a two man full forward line. Certainly come 4pm Sunday a lot of my questions will be answered but I am excited.

• Advertisement

francozola wrote: »
    In my opinion last years team was worse on paper.

I don't understand posters saying they're worried about Hickey and O'Brien. Two seasoned campaigners, no worries about them.
    6 natural forwards. It wouldn't surprise me if there are changes before throw in planned. Sean Tobin is a surprise but he seems to perform well in Championship. Interesting to see what formation they take on as well. Does Downes drift out to the half forwards, allow Dodge or Hannon to drift into midfield and play a two man full forward line. Certainly come 4pm Sunday a lot of my questions will be answered but I am excited.

Last year's team was worse on paper... but it was very clear what we were going for. It was there to execute a gameplan, and they did that perfectly. We weren't sure whether the gameplan would be good enough to beat Tipp, but the subs bench tilted it in our favour- but all 3 of the half-forward line last year worked themselves to a standstill and our backs as a unit absolutely cleaned Tipp.

This year...... Tipp's forwards are more formidable. Our defensive weaknesses have been highlighted... if you run at our lads like Bonner Maher surely will, we can be opened up. I'm not worried by Hickey, but he hasn't played corner-back for years and we have loads of good corner-backs- Dempsey, Walsh, King, Carmody, even O'Neill and Moloney outside the panel. Hickey could be used to plug the centre-back weakness, or to bring more physicality to the wing, or to use his running around the middle. It's a waste having him inside really, especially since he can be loose, he loves getting forward. I'm delighted to have him in the team though.

As for Paudie, I rate him too, but I think he's a midfielder rather than a wing-back and can be hurt by a physical half-forward. He was very good last year bar the Clare game, and he's a lovely hurler, but he's not a dominant wing-back like other counties have. I think we'd be better with Hickey/Wayne/Ryan on the wing, and Paudie in the middle of the field.

Formation-wise, I do think it will be interesting. I assume we'll try different things, if we stick to just one gameplan, we'll lose. Our real chance is moving the forwards about to get the best out of them. I wouldn't be surprised if Mulcahy was brought around the middle for a while- that was a favourite of O'Grady's back in 2011 and he did it for the 21s then too. Downes could be used as a ballwinning option in the half-forward line too. I wouldn't leave Mulcahy/Tobin inside on their own, but neither would I want Hannon/Dowling as 2 of a 3-man half-forward line...... not sure the work rate is there.

Yeah we can definitely change it up, there'll be plenty of rotation and we can go 3 at midfield if we want at anytime.

POB is not an out and out half back as has been said and hasnt put in a good game since cork in february. Hickey is not a corner back. Thats our biggest concern if those two can turn it around and put in a big performance then we've every chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aoganmacc

Lads i think its a strong team, some may question the defence but they where solid last last year and i have faith, i like jim bob in midfield and the forwards are very strong.... only worry is that not much to come off the bench to change things if in trouble. That said i have a good feeling about it. This team aren't like other Limerick teams that have won nothing, they won a Munster last year, they expect high standars of themselves and i think we will take Tipp, Luimneach abú.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I wouldn't be worried about Hickey at all if I was a Limerick fan, its almost certain that Tipp will effectively line up with 5 forwards and I would expect Hickey to be give the free role, something he will revel in.

I wouldn't be worried about Hickey at all if I was a Limerick fan, its almost certain that Tipp will effectively line up with 5 forwards and I would expect Hickey to be give the free role, something he will revel in.

He's great in a free role higher up the pitch, it's his natural instinct.

If he roams away and leaves Tipp 2 on 2 inside, that could be suicidal.

• Advertisement

I have written an article on why I think Downes is so important to our chances on Sunday (and over the whole year).

Limerick people probably know all this already, I suppose we get to see him play more often, but he is seriously underrated outside the county. Talking to lads I know from Clare, Tipp, Cork, Laois, Dublin and none of them think he's our best forward, some of them don't think he'd get in their starting team.

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/downes-key-limerick/

Looking at some of those stats is mad though.... he played 15 minutes of Championship hurling last year. That's madness.

In terms of minutes, he's only played 4 and a half full games.... it's over 2 years since he last started in the Championship.

2-12 in 4.5 games comes out at a 4 point per game average. Consider that he missed our hammerings of Laois and Antrim in 2012, was taken off early in the qualifier against Antrim in 2011.

He's started against Waterford, Wexford, Antrim, Dublin and Tipperary; and come on as a sub against Clare (twice), Kilkenny, Tipp and Cork. That's a very respectable tally considering the opposition.

We need a big game from him, if just to help free up the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

The papers are spinning a fairytale about the capabilities of this Tipp team and the Tipp followers are falling for it again. If Limerick get a smell of blood next Sunday there will be only one result.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Tipp Team: (Tipperary (SH v Limerick): Darren Gleeson; Cathal Barrett, Padraic Maher, Michael Cahill; James Barry, Brendan Maher (captain), Conor O'Mahony; Kieran Bergin, James Woodlock; Gearoid Ryan, Patrick 'Bonner' Maher, John O'Dwyer; Noel McGrath, Seamus Callanan, Niall O'Meara.)

Tipp Team: (Tipperary (SH v Limerick): Darren Gleeson; Cathal Barrett, Padraic Maher, Michael Cahill; James Barry, Brendan Maher (captain), Conor O'Mahony; Kieran Bergin, James Woodlock; Gearoid Ryan, Patrick 'Bonner' Maher, John O'Dwyer; Noel McGrath, Seamus Callanan, Niall O'Meara.)

Good team.

They had a strong defence last year. Had problems during the league, but they re-organised and seem to have sorted it. I still think it's a waste for Tipp to play Brendan Maher at centre-back, I think he's such a good midfielder, but he'll do a great job for sure. Cahill is the real class act, one of the best corner-backs in the country, Barry seems to have been a real find, and Barrett is a good hurler. O'Mahony has been moved over to the wing, but still a solid defender.

Bergin and Woodlock in midfield are two workhorses, both big and strong, completely different to what they had last year really. Two good players, and continually produce, but not top class. Browne had an absolutely super league, but it is one player who may be hurt by O'Grady's departure... a short hand-passing, running game suits him. Jim-Bob is a similar player to Bergin/Woodlock. McGrath will probably come back around here, and if he gets space to pick up ball, he can wreak havoc.... that's one worry I have. Who is going to close him down? If we bring Hickey out to watch him, and leave Callinan/O'Meara 2 on 2 inside, that's just madness. If we bring out Mulcahy, that's a waste of our own talented forward.

Definitely seem to have a lot more grit about their forward line this year- a half-forward line of Bubbles, Bonner Maher and Gar Ryan are well able to dog it out... maybe Wayne is the man stop Bonner, but I still have big fears of him walking through the centre.

And Callinan had a super league, we can't allow him have space... if it's 3 backs against 2 defenders, I think we'll nullify them. But both O'Meara (who has been excellent) and Callinan are well able to win the ball in the air, which is always a big plus.

Only a few hours to throw-in, but I've done a small article looking at the job John Brudair has done in building a squad despite a lot of aging players, and losing a huge number of players to retirement/injury/other commitments.

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/brudairs-selection-sign-squad-development/

It's a lovely evening, hopefully it'll be a good game. Tipp have had serious underage success and scored loads during the league, but Limerick did well enough during the league without tearing things up. Got 2 hammerings, which was disappointing, and Tipp will be looking to expose any potential weaknesses by running at the heart of our defence- but hopefully Lucey/McCarthy and the new lads in the corner can prevent that.

We do have a very experienced bench to call upon. Wouldn't be shocked if there were a few changes to the starting team before throw-in either, he did that a couple of times in the league.

Looking at a few bets for tomorrow's match, odds that caught my eye:

Kevin Downes MotM- 18/1
    Michael Cahill MotM- 20/1

Graeme Mulcahy to outscore Niall O'Meara- 4/5

Bonner Maher Over 0.5 Points- 4/7
    Seamus Callinan Under 10.5 Points- 11/10

11 points is a lot, I know Callinan has been in good form and score frees but still.... I could see him getting around 8 or 9. Bonner Maher is in super form and although he doesn't tend to score much, scored 2 goals against Clare and is always a threat.

Downes and Cahill are probably the best player for their respective teams, so MotM odds are generous.

Really disappointing result for the footballers.

Brudair was forced to bring on Riordan and Galvin early on because we were under pressure from Tipp, but the biggest change that needed to be made was to play a sweeper. There was so much space between our full-back line and half-back line, and Tipp were exploiting it really well.

Got a fortuitous first goal, big blunder by O'Sullivan to come out for the ball and then miss it completely, was a tap-in, but they were walking through us really. It took well into the 2nd half for our half-back line to drop deeper, while their backline was very strong, we didn't have the same support runners.

Their 2nd goal was well-worked, then they missed a penalty. That started a bit of a revival, we cut the gap from 10 to 4... Boris Hanrahan scored the penalty, cracking finish. But Buckley had the chance to cut the gap but ballooned it up into the air instead of laying it off, and then Tipp were able to close it out. Gearoid Hegarty was excellent from the bench, he really drove at the Tipp lads, put them under pressure.

When we tried to play, we did look decent, but the lack of protection for our full-back line killed us. Tipp had excellent attacking play, good supporting runners and the inside line were able to win their own ball. Quinlivan, Grogan, Austin, Fox, O'Riordan, both midfielders were all good for them...

For us... O'Dea was good in the 1st half, McCarthy was alright (made one inspirational block), Lee won some good ball, Corbett got up and down well, Treacy did okay.... up front, Collins was good in the 2nd half, and Boris had the beating of his man when he got quick ball. And as I said, Hegarty was good when he came on.

Ryan was poor, didn't look sharp at all. Buckley wasn't great by his standards. Galvin definitely hasn't got the legs anymore, he still brings aerial ability and aggression, and uses the ball well, but he can't track back as well as before. We didn't win enough breaking ball. John Riordan dropped the ball every time he went into contact, and I don't understand why we didn't have him sweeping instead of at centre-forward. Moran got absolutely destroyed at times, surprised he stayed on.

Disappointing... there were some positives, it is a work in progress, but I'd say we'll need to start with some of the more experienced heads for the qualifiers, and we'll definitely have to adapt quicker. What we'd have given for O'Connor or O'Brien today though.

Well done to Tipp, they'll test Cork I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Pp double odds if first goal within 15 mins

I'm backing seanie Tobin to bag first one like he did last yr

Luimneach Abu

Pp double odds if first goal within 15 mins

I'm backing seanie Tobin to bag first one like he did last yr

Luimneach Abu

Downes or Mul...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

COYBIG

• Advertisement

Need to get downes or breen out to the 40, DOG and hannon out of it, need more scores, Jimbob has roasted them. Too much soloing. strike them over the bar. 7or 8 minutes before Half time a disaster, shouldn't have coughed up those soft scores, let em back in.

Oh ye fcuking beauties

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Class:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Well done Limerick but now perhaps you will give just a wee bit of credit to T.J Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Ompala

Fair play lads, ye were the better team over the 70 minutes.
    Sickened by the lack of composure our forwards showed, hits some hopeless wides towards the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

O we of little faith, when do the final tickets go on sale? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Well done Limerick but now perhaps you will give just a wee bit of credit to T.J Ryan.

Last time limerick beat tipperary in thurles they went on to win All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The scenes in the town end terrace were unbelievable. Place was going mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I said at the time that losing donal o grady was a blessing in disguise. Stupid gameplan, still thought Tipp would win, could be our year, last time we won in thurles,,,,1973!

• Advertisement

Jimbob was fecking incredible, hope he gets MOTM

Dowlings composure and striking were outstanding.

Downes move out the 45 was the winning of the game without doubt, led directly to dowlings goal but also allowed DO'G to score 2 points straight after the switch and allowed us to win our own puck outs, brought everyone else into the game.

Cracking score from tomas ryan.

Delighted for the players they've clearly put it in the last few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement