Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Dowling, what a performance. Keeping him on the bench last year?
    F*cking hell. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

But come on now did TJ not pick the team, train the team, took it over in the midst of chaos and did not most call his ability into question even down to his team selection. I know one swallow does not make a summer but TJ did get his selection spot on today including Hickey at corner back who I thought had a really good day out. The Limerick center field dominated and the late positional switches and subs all worked. A very good days work by one Mr. TJ Ryan his selectors and backroom team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Paul Browne was great too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Cracking match, fair play to T.J. Ryan, a lot of Limerick supporters had Limerick written off, I wasn't feeling too confident myself I must admit. Considering how turbulent the last while has been I think they did fantastically, Munster final day should be interesting, I'll be doing my level best to get my hands on a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

So can I ask what was the referee thinking in disallowing that goal? Was he right or wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Rightwing wrote: »
    Dowling, what a performance. Keeping him on the bench last year?
    F*cking hell. :rolleyes:
    He took the frees and touched the ball maybe twice from play

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Do you want to drop the best free taker and top scorer?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

angeleyes wrote: »
    So can I ask what was the referee thinking in disallowing that goal? Was he right or wrong?

I suppose technically it was a foul as the Limerick Forward seemed to impede Maher but it was a very physical game and generally, he wasn't giving that type of thing. A very soft free IMO.

Tipp seemed obsessed with going for goals - Bonner Maher did get a goal by this direct approach but Tipp passed up on 6/7 relatively easy point opportunites in pursuit of goals. Must have been their tactics but very foolish IMO and the losing of the game - anyone else think that ?

And ended up scoring, what,,,2-09? ;)

Chuckle chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

And ended up scoring, what,,,2-09? ;)

Chuckle chuckle.

1-9 from frees I'd say

• Advertisement

1-9 from frees I'd say

I believe it was 1-10 ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Tipp seemed obsessed with going for goals - Bonner Maher did get a goal by this direct approach but Tipp passed up on 6/7 relatively easy point opportunites in pursuit of goals. Must have been their tactics but very foolish IMO and the losing of the game - anyone else think that ?

It might have succeeded but for numerous epic blocks from Richie McCarthy and co... tactic is really an attempt to ape Kilkenny by killing off the opposition early but of course KK are a helluva lot more ruthless than the Tipp pussycats.

It might have succeeded but for numerous epic blocks from Richie McCarthy and co... tactic is really an attempt to ape Kilkenny by killing off the opposition early but of course KK are a helluva lot more ruthless than the Tipp pussycats.

Not sure any other county in munster could beat tipp, we seem to be able to do a number on them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

But come on now did TJ not pick the team, train the team, took it over in the midst of chaos and did not most call his ability into question even down to his team selection. I know one swallow does not make a summer but TJ did get his selection spot on today including Hickey at corner back who I thought had a really good day out. The Limerick center field dominated and the late positional switches and subs all worked. A very good days work by one Mr. TJ Ryan his selectors and backroom team.

He picked our best 15 hurlers no doubt but I feel he was nearly responsible for us loosing today. Tipp started to dominate between the 2 45s and he made one substitution all game until we went ahead and he made a sub to slow it down. Felt he should have freshened it up more. Look, I suppose we have to give him the benefit that hes seeing what lads are doing in training and trusted his 15 starters. A lot of our players looked to be out on their feet though with ten to go.

Brilliant victory and a big monkey off our back beating tipp in thurles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Luimneach abú!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was sensational lads, over the moon... they were written, they were doubted... by me included. But they dug deep, and they got over the line. Fantastic scenes again.

Jim-Bob was immense, what a man.

There's still a lot of improving to do, but we're back in another Munster final!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Maybe we will get a bit of respect finally. Lots on here and elsewhere trying to take from our Munster win last year. All talk of Tipp wining pulling up was very disrespectful to reigning champions. Tipp always there for the taking when the arrogance creeps in.

Limerick never fear Tipp because we never get any respect from them.

A great win from a great bunch of hurlers. Wait to see though it will be all about heart, grit, never say die. There will be no respect for the quality talent we have.

slegs wrote: »
    Maybe we will get a bit of respect finally. Lots on here and elsewhere trying to take from our Munster win last year. All talk of Tipp wining pulling up was very disrespectful to reigning champions. Tipp always there for the taking when the arrogance creeps in.

Limerick never fear Tipp because we never get any respect from them.

A great win from a great bunch of hurlers. Wait to see though it will be all about heart, grit, never say die. There will be no respect for the quality talent we have.

I think that's a bit harsh on tipp. they were just beaten by a better team. was close, just like all the games in munster will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

may i give credit where credit is due, thanks for a mighty memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

can tipp blame the ref tonight, after the league final it was the ref, last year the saam in more than one occasion, funnily enough that they are never beaten by a better team, or bad decision making on the sideline.

I think that's a bit harsh on tipp. they were just beaten by a better team. was close, just like all the games in munster will be.

Wait for the excuses and reasons why they lost. Very little will be about Limerick being the better team.

When Tipp beat Limerick they are superstars. When Limerick beat Tipp they had an off day. We are never looked on as equals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Great team spirit in Limerick it must be said. I'd say the whole town would be shut down if you won an all ireland. Still hard to figure out where Limerick stand after today, were tipp poor or were they made look poor.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Great team spirit in Limerick it must be said. I'd say the whole town would be shut down if you won an all ireland. Still hard to figure out where Limerick stand after today, were tipp poor or were they made look poor.

Would you be asking questions of Tipps calibre if they won that match by 2 points?

Typical patronising auld sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Wait for the excuses and reasons why they lost. Very little will be about Limerick being the better team.

When Tipp beat Limerick they are superstars. When Limerick beat Tipp they had an off day. We are never looked on as equals
    When limerick win they still find something to complain about....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not true imo, I watched the game today with 5 family members from my mothers side, all from Tipp.

All thought Limerick were the better team and were fully deserving of the win.

And I would agree.

Skyrim wrote: »
    When limerick win they still find something to complain about....

I'm happy really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Would you be asking questions of Tipps calibre if they won that match by 2 points?

I'm from Clare. I was delighted tipp were beat. I'd love limerick to win an all ireland. It was genuine question. I don't know where Limerick are after that. Are they good enough to win an all ireland.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Not true imo, I watched the game today with 5 family members from my mothers side, all from Tipp.

All thought Limerick were the better team and were fully deserving of the win.

And I would agree.

I would agree with this, but still, only a fool would write tipp off. They'll knock a big team or 2 out yet.

There's very little between the top teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

In fairness, Limerick have won 3 games in since 2007. There was doubts over last year, they deserved to win today but would have been there own fault had they lost it which almost happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

In fairness, Limerick have won 3 games in since 2007. There was doubts over last year, they deserved to win today but would have been there own fault had they lost it which almost happened.

What doubts Limerick won the munster title last year end of story.People were saying that Limerick can't beat Tipp in Thurles yet they did just that today.As for the all ireland semi final well it was one of those days when everything went right for Clare and everything went wrong for Limerick.They lost by 7 points but if it wasn't for some shocking free taking then they would have been closer to Clare at the end of that match.I think the encouraging thing for Limerick is that they still have plenty to work on after today.They need to work on getting better ball into the forwards because that Limerick forward line is class.I also agree with the poster that said TJ should have made changes sooner when the tide was turning.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

Only doubts over last year were because of the Patrick Horgan sending off. In my view Cork were never winning that match with or without Horgan but whatever. We powered past Tipp not too unlike the end of today's match.

Up till 4 o clock Tipp were world beaters with only themselves Clare and Kilkenny any good at all. Limerick beat them and its a different story all of a sudden. Nothing changed really so why the gap in perception.

I just feel this particular group of Limerick hurlers are winners and need to be given a bit more respect. They beat Tipp and Cork last year and lost to the All Ireland champions Clare. Tipp lost to Limerick and Kilkenny and have now lost their third championship game in a row. Who's form line is better?

Waterford are getting the same treatment also. No respect for the ability that's there. League doesn't really matter. There is nothing between all the teams in Munster and that includes Clare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement