Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

slegs wrote: »
    Only doubts over last year were because of the Patrick Horgan sending off. In my view Cork were never winning that match with or without Horgan but whatever. We powered past Tipp not too unlike the end of today's match.

Up till 4 o clock Tipp were world beaters with only themselves Clare and Kilkenny any good at all. Limerick beat them and its a different story all of a sudden. Nothing changed really so why the gap in perception.

I just feel this particular group of Limerick hurlers are winners and need to be given a bit more respect. They beat Tipp and Cork last year and lost to the All Ireland champions Clare. Tipp lost to Limerick and Kilkenny and have now lost their third championship game in a row. Who's form line is better?

Waterford are getting the same treatment also. No respect for the ability that's there. League doesn't really matter. There is nothing between all the teams in Munster and that includes Clare

Winners until they get to Croke park maybe. The beer has ruined many a limerick team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

niallo27 wrote: »
    Winners until they get to Croke park maybe. The beer has ruined many a limerick team.

You're a clown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Now that I've relaxed I'll throw a few thoughts down on today.

Firstly, absolutely delighted with the win and was great to get a win against Tipperary in Thurles :D. Anyone who backed them at 7/2 I tip my hat to ye! Was quite pessimistic all week but once I arrived in Thurles and saw the blue and gold jerseys around the optimism started to creep in along with the sunshine!

Secondly, the win today guarantees us a place in the last six of the championship and I feel we've really established ourselves as a top 6 team over the past 3 years - 2013 AI Semi against Clare (AI champions), 2012 lost the quarter final to Kilkenny (AI champions), 2011 lost the quarter final to Dublin. Hopefully we can have a pop off Clare to redeem ourselves from last year.

We have plenty room for improvement so hopefully the management team can sit down and look at the game critically and learn from it because lets face it, TJ is inexperienced at this level. They can enjoy the win but I feel the guys on the sideline got too involved in the game and were very slow to make changes and I'm not sure substitutions crossed their mind to be honest.

Felt we started quite well and kept it tight and was quite surprised to see us line up 15 on 15. Took a while to score from play but I'd never really be too concerned about that because a few of them were certain scores if the foul didn't occur. Dowling took the 21 yard free brilliantly.

We seemed to fade a bit as the half wore on and I felt Tipp were fortunate to be level at half time and we left them back into it but we were well in the game. After half time it couldn't have started worse with the goal going in - our defence seemed to part like the red sea leaving Richie to fight the fire (he fought plenty fires today especially when Callinan was lining up to blast the ball into the next parish and with the block on Bonner and then Lar had the fresh air!!). The lads recovered brilliantly with Dodgie scoring some lovely points - although if they didn't go over we'd have killed him - to go back into the lead on 44 minutes 1-12 to 2-8.

Then we went flat and I was beginning to fear the worst as Tipp were ahead by the 50 minutes 2-11 to 1-13. We stuck with it though chipping in a few frees but I really felt we needed to make a few changes in the half forward line because Tipp were cleaning up. I felt Ryan could have come in 5 minutes earlier along with Allis and in fairness to GO'M who always gives his all I thought his legs were gone especially with all the fresh legs Tipp brought in.

Thought our corner forwards were cleaned out but credit to Mulcahy he got a crucial score on 62 minutes. Also, thought his goal was a fair goal - all players seem to contest the ball like Dowling did and if that was on the halfway line ref wouldn't have batted an eyelid - and when that was chalked off I feared the worst. Then we hit I think 3 very bad wides and were reverting to type and were starting to panic and then cometh the man, Downes with a great run and some great improvisation from Dowling and we were back.

The go ahead from Tom Ryan was incredible, it was some touch on the run and he put it over. Tipp then seemed to panic and hit 2 wides. Thought kelly would blow it up from Quaid's puckout but a few nervous moments and the ball breaking and I thought Wayne Mac had lost it but somehow gave it to Hickey - a small bit reminiscent of Carey in 96! - and the game was done and dusted.

Some people were saying the standard was poor - it's the first championship game of the year and a lot of nerves out there and a few handling errors but Limerick really tried to crowd Tipp out and battle them. In fairness to Bonner Maher, he seemed to relish the battle and even after Wayne Mc put him out over the line with a shoulder - Tipp still got a line ball - himself, Wayne and Barry Kelly were able to have a few words about it which was a nice touch.

Quaid and the full back line played well to deal with some of the pacy Tipp forwards and worked hard.

Half back line was solid, felt Paudie played the best - a few stray long balls but solid on the breaking ball.

Midfield worked very hard and Jimbob hoovered up some amount of ball and played some clever short passes.

Half forwards went out of the game at times and I thought Hannon was quiet by his high standards so he's due a big game the next day. DOG was solid and got back to help a few times.

Full forward line was quiet enough but Dowling and Downes interchanged quite well. Dowling's striking was superb. Unbelievable clean striker of a sliotar!

All in all a very satisfying win but room for improvement nonetheless!! Luimneach abú!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Calmed down a small bit, but still buzzing, that was a super win. 3 points down with 3 minutes to go, that Dowling go was absolutely brilliant and then to drive on and win it.

But to analyse it with a clear head... we can play a lot better than that. We worked very hard, and got some great scores, but there were loads of mistakes and we will have to improve if we want to win another Munster. I'm sure TJ and the boys will know that, and they have a very long time to work on things for the Championship. The victory will give them a huge boost.

Our forwards got poor enough service throughout, we struggled to clean ball anywhere on the pitch, and the breaking ball was even enough, I thought. We probably had the better of it in our backline, and they had the better of it down their side.

A lot of people will blame the forwards themselves, none of them were particularly brilliant, but that is where tactics/service come into play, and I'm not sure they got the best possible service. There were a lot of aimless balls, or balls played straight down on top of a man surrounded by 2 or more Tipp lads. Maybe they could do better to win the dirty ball, it's something that needs to be looked at.

Downes barely touched the ball, yet made our one clean catch in the forwards. Still scored 0-2, and set up Dowling's goal. Wasted one or two chances and he'll be disappointed. Dowling also barely touched the ball from play, but set up a Downes point excellently and the goal was a cracker. Metronomic from frees too, he's a beautiful striker of a ball. Tobin was very quiet, didn't really get service. Mulcahy's touch left him down a few times, still got one nice point. Hannon did well in the 2nd half, won the 21-yard free for the goal and scored a point- sidelines were awful. And Dodgy... 2 inspirational points but was quiet otherwise.

All 6 of those lads are talented players, and can do a lot, lot better. Tipp gave away lots of soft frees and that kept us ticking over.

Midfield were class. Jim Bob missed a few chances, and struggled to get the ball into his hand at times but he ran himself to a standstill... hooking, blocking, harassing, offering himself as an outlet, just moving the ball from back to front. Class. Well deserved MotM. Paul Browne- our best player during the league... did the same today, just ran, used the ball intelligently. Again, maybe wasted one or two balls, but did very well overall.

Half-back line struggled at times, I thought. Physically, didn't impose themselves and didn't win a lot of clean ball. Generally used it okay when they had it and swept well. Wayne Mac was absolutely cleaned by Bonner Maher, who is a top class hurler. Just immense. If all the Tipp lads were like him, they would have walked this. Gar Ryan was very good too, his off-the-ball runs really hurt us, all his scores came when he was totally unmarked, and that's also not good enough.

Richie Mc struggled with Callinan's height, and I thought Callinan had a good game. Maybe he should have scored more, but Richie Mc and Condon did very well in terms of recovery, and swept up a lot of loose ball. Hickey played all over the place, I'd be blaming him for Ryan's goal, let him go free. But he still won a huge amount of ball, and he'll run all day... to still be able to burst forward to get the final score was fantastic. A more passionate man you won't meet... still think we should employ a proper corner-back and let him roam around the middle with the numbers in the backline.

Only 2 subs, only 1 that made an impact and what an impact it was, the winning point from Tom Ryan. Didn't touch the ball bar that, I don't think, but it was a fine score. I would have had him on Bonner Maher about 10 minutes before he came on. Mikey Ryan came on but that was more to waste time, I think.

Bit worried about the lack of subs...... as in, Tobin and Mulcahy were quiet but he didn't want to replace them. Dodge looked tired, Wayne Mac and Gavin were both in trouble at times. In Ryan, Dempsey, Breen, Allis, there were options there, we won't get away with using only 16 players against Clare.

Oh, and Quaid was super. Lovely distribution and was a commanding presence around the square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Only doubts over last year were because of the Patrick Horgan sending off. In my view Cork were never winning that match with or without Horgan but whatever. We powered past Tipp not too unlike the end of today's match.

Up till 4 o clock Tipp were world beaters with only themselves Clare and Kilkenny any good at all. Limerick beat them and its a different story all of a sudden. Nothing changed really so why the gap in perception.

I just feel this particular group of Limerick hurlers are winners and need to be given a bit more respect. They beat Tipp and Cork last year and lost to the All Ireland champions Clare. Tipp lost to Limerick and Kilkenny and have now lost their third championship game in a row. Who's form line is better?

Waterford are getting the same treatment also. No respect for the ability that's there. League doesn't really matter. There is nothing between all the teams in Munster and that includes Clare

I would agree they deserve the respect this year and in fairness you couldn't argue with the Munster success last year in terms of I didn't feel that they were undeserving of either victory. Just the fact that they had two home games to win it and the sending off would say they had that bit of luck, which you duly need too. They were right, they had to back it up this year by winning and they did today, in Thurles which is no mean feat no matter what the story of the game is.

I just wouldn't agree that they're continuosly under rated as the performances up until last year were by and large quite poor, in Munster at least. But that doesn't really matter now.

I would say we were under-rated a lot going back over the years, but I would have to say I wasn't confident last weekend at all. That we performed the way we did with the players we had missing, I was delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭LMK

Limerick fight for everything they get, plenty of grit, best man on the frees now makes a big difference, if Hannon, Mulcahy and Tobin can find their confidence they can be the difference in going all the way, Sideline should have moved on Dodge with 15 to go got away with it today mainly because for final stages Hickey Wayne Mac JimBob and Browne had the legs. Great one to win, could still be that Tipp come back around later in the year.

I'd be seriously looking at moving Downes to centre-forward full-time... if he could have anything close to the impact that Bonner Maher had, we'd be laughing. Hannon, Dowling and Mulcahy would thrive off a powerful runner driving through the centre... and it didn't happen enough today.

Three times he went through, once he put it wide, once he put it over the bar and the other time, he set up the goal. None of our other players attacked down the middle at all. Bonner Maher did it 5 or 6 times, I'd say.

Hopefully the lads will be a lot sharper for the final, there were plenty of basic mistakes made today... but it's a long oul wait till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Calmed down a small bit, but still buzzing, that was a super win. 3 points down with 3 minutes to go, that Dowling go was absolutely brilliant and then to drive on and win it.

But to analyse it with a clear head... we can play a lot better than that. We worked very hard, and got some great scores, but there were loads of mistakes and we will have to improve if we want to win another Munster. I'm sure TJ and the boys will know that, and they have a very long time to work on things for the Championship. The victory will give them a huge boost.

Our forwards got poor enough service throughout, we struggled to clean ball anywhere on the pitch, and the breaking ball was even enough, I thought. We probably had the better of it in our backline, and they had the better of it down their side.

A lot of people will blame the forwards themselves, none of them were particularly brilliant, but that is where tactics/service come into play, and I'm not sure they got the best possible service. There were a lot of aimless balls, or balls played straight down on top of a man surrounded by 2 or more Tipp lads. Maybe they could do better to win the dirty ball, it's something that needs to be looked at.

Downes barely touched the ball, yet made our one clean catch in the forwards. Still scored 0-2, and set up Dowling's goal. Wasted one or two chances and he'll be disappointed. Dowling also barely touched the ball from play, but set up a Downes point excellently and the goal was a cracker. Metronomic from frees too, he's a beautiful striker of a ball. Tobin was very quiet, didn't really get service. Mulcahy's touch left him down a few times, still got one nice point. Hannon did well in the 2nd half, won the 21-yard free for the goal and scored a point- sidelines were awful. And Dodgy... 2 inspirational points but was quiet otherwise.

All 6 of those lads are talented players, and can do a lot, lot better. Tipp gave away lots of soft frees and that kept us ticking over.

Midfield were class. Jim Bob missed a few chances, and struggled to get the ball into his hand at times but he ran himself to a standstill... hooking, blocking, harassing, offering himself as an outlet, just moving the ball from back to front. Class. Well deserved MotM. Paul Browne- our best player during the league... did the same today, just ran, used the ball intelligently. Again, maybe wasted one or two balls, but did very well overall.

Half-back line struggled at times, I thought. Physically, didn't impose themselves and didn't win a lot of clean ball. Generally used it okay when they had it and swept well. Wayne Mac was absolutely cleaned by Bonner Maher, who is a top class hurler. Just immense. If all the Tipp lads were like him, they would have walked this. Gar Ryan was very good too, his off-the-ball runs really hurt us, all his scores came when he was totally unmarked, and that's also not good enough.

Richie Mc struggled with Callinan's height, and I thought Callinan had a good game. Maybe he should have scored more, but Richie Mc and Condon did very well in terms of recovery, and swept up a lot of loose ball. Hickey played all over the place, I'd be blaming him for Ryan's goal, let him go free. But he still won a huge amount of ball, and he'll run all day... to still be able to burst forward to get the final score was fantastic. A more passionate man you won't meet... still think we should employ a proper corner-back and let him roam around the middle with the numbers in the backline.

Only 2 subs, only 1 that made an impact and what an impact it was, the winning point from Tom Ryan. Didn't touch the ball bar that, I don't think, but it was a fine score. I would have had him on Bonner Maher about 10 minutes before he came on. Mikey Ryan came on but that was more to waste time, I think.

Bit worried about the lack of subs...... as in, Tobin and Mulcahy were quiet but he didn't want to replace them. Dodge looked tired, Wayne Mac and Gavin were both in trouble at times. In Ryan, Dempsey, Breen, Allis, there were options there, we won't get away with using only 16 players against Clare.

Oh, and Quaid was super. Lovely distribution and was a commanding presence around the square.

Had a good game in terms of caught some good high balls and was generally able to win possession, shot selection at times was woeful however - had Riche beaten at one stage and then threw the ball up so high he had to wait an eternity for it to come back down to strike it, ended up getting hooked and Limerick cleared their lines - stuff like that would drive ya demented!

Ompala wrote: »
    Had a good game in terms of caught some good high balls and was generally able to win possession, shot selection at times was woeful however - had Riche beaten at one stage and then threw the ball up so high he had to wait an eternity for it to come back down to strike it, ended up getting hooked and Limerick cleared their lines - stuff like that would drive ya demented!

Yeah, you're probably right there. He still scored 2 or 3 from play though, could have scored more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You're a clown

Bollox I have being living limerick 15 years. Lads in the icon week before a championship game. Stick your head in the sand if you want. There is a reason why Limerick haven't won a league. Lads drinking in the woodcross after training till 2 in the morning.

I just feel this particular group of Limerick hurlers are winners and need to be given a bit more respect. They beat Tipp and Cork last year and lost to the All Ireland champions Clare. Tipp lost to Limerick and Kilkenny and have now lost their third championship game in a row. Who's form line is better?

Yeah I feel the win last year was written off as a fluke by some but our lads seem to thrive on being written off - in fairness most of us weren't expecting much today - but we shouldn't really get too upset if the other counties don't respect us. We lost one game last year as did Clare. Cliché I know but there's nothing between the 5 Munster, and KK, Dublin and Galway on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

angeleyes wrote: »
    So can I ask what was the referee thinking in disallowing that goal? Was he right or wrong?

I've been harping on Barry Kelly for years now with his phantom frees......it's more a problem of inconsistency than anything else, he'll go through spells where he lets everything go, then blows for a free where no number of replays will let you find an explanation.

Of course, being a Kilkenny supporter, any criticism of Kelly was met with the usual anti-Kilkenny rants......but now that he's showing off his talents in Munster, I'm sure there'll be a more open discussion.

Good on Limerick today for pulling through today, I'll be glad to see them back in Croker late into the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

Not saying Tipp would have won had it gone there way or anything, Limerick deserved it no question, but what do ye make of the yellow card Kieran Bergin was shown?

Genuinely looked like an accident to me (then again I am from Tipp!), trying to pump others up after winning a crucial free and hurley slipped out of his hand, take it if ya go by the rulebook its a foul but seemed harsh viewing it in the replay,

Ompala wrote: »
    Not saying Tipp would have won had it gone there way or anything, Limerick deserved it no question, but what do ye make of the yellow card Kieran Bergin was shown?

Genuinely looked like an accident to me (then again I am from Tipp!), trying to pump others up after winning a crucial free and hurley slipped out of his hand, take it if ya go by the rulebook its a foul but seemed harsh viewing it in the replay,

Haven't actually seen it, they didn't show it on the highlights. I looked away, then saw Richie Mc fall to the floor.

Heard someone say that it was as you said, was a bit of a turning point (although I thought the initial free was harsh on Limerick too, but I could be wrong there too).

Still though, they did extend it to 3 after that, and had plenty of chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Haven't actually seen it, they didn't show it on the highlights. I looked away, then saw Richie Mc fall to the floor.

Heard someone say that it was as you said, was a bit of a turning point (although I thought the initial free was harsh on Limerick too, but I could be wrong there too).

Still though, they did extend it to 3 after that, and had plenty of chances.

If you watch it again u will see a limerick hand grab bergins causing the hurley to fly out of his hand. Shane mcgrath and bergin were fist pumping but it seemed to be limericks midfield they got going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are they good enough to win an all ireland.

No. Good win by Limerick but they don't have enough firepower in the forwards to win All Ireland IMO. After Cork obviously Limerick are a team I would love to see winning All Ireland. Great heart and effort and great supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kelis76

Can anyone tell me TJ Ryans occupation

(slightly off topic I know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Amprodude wrote: »
    No. Good win by Limerick but they don't have enough firepower in the forwards to win All Ireland IMO. After Cork obviously Limerick are a team I would love to see winning All Ireland. Great heart and effort and great supporters.

I don't think we're quite good enough to win an all Ireland but I don't think it's firepower we lack. Downes, Dowling, Hannon and Mulcahy are 4 forwards as good as most teams have. Hannon is just back from injury, looked very rusty and will only improve. Dowling should only get fitter as summer goes on and improve also. We need to improve the ball being delivered to this unit to get more out of them. Crucially, all four named above gave intelligent passes for scores at points in the game and the more thy play together the more cohesive they'll become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I think we can win the All Ireland, luck is required and get a handy enough run like Clare got last year. The only team I'd write us off against is KK, avoid them and we've as good a chance as anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,
    Who is nick named Jimbob. Is it Paul Browne? I am a Dub and obviously support my own county passionately first, but have strong Limerick blood and will be rooting for you for the rest of your championship games as long as you don't meet us until the AI final of course:D. Best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

kelis76 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me TJ Ryans occupation

(slightly off topic I know!)

Ur totally off topic.What has his occupation got to do with anything related to hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,
    Who is nick named Jimbob. Is it Paul Browne? I am a Dub and obviously support my own county passionately first, but have strong Limerick blood and will be rooting for you for the rest of your championship games as long as you don't meet us until the AI final of course:D. Best of luck to you.

Jim bob is James Ryan

I don't think we're quite good enough to win an all Ireland but I don't think it's firepower we lack. Downes, Dowling, Hannon and Mulcahy are 4 forwards as good as most teams have. Hannon is just back from injury, looked very rusty and will only improve. Dowling should only get fitter as summer goes on and improve also. We need to improve the ball being delivered to this unit to get more out of them. Crucially, all four named above gave intelligent passes for scores at points in the game and the more thy play together the more cohesive they'll become.

Definitely agree with this. While none of our forwards were outstanding yesterday, I don't think you could accuse them of a lack of firepower... when they got chances, they snapped most of them up.

The key thing to work on is how to get the best out of those 4, because too often they receive the ball going away from goal or are outmuscled. I think Downes to centre-forward, Mulcahy as the inside man to come out, Dowling inside... it's hard to get the balance right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Has to be downes at CF, seems blindingly obvious to me.

Hickey was very good yesterday, but it suited us that he ended up at half rather than a conventional corner back. Wouldnt have considered him a centre back option previously but after yesterday maybe, still left his man go for the 2nd goal cant do that. Some effort off that injury though and he was going strong at the end you felt he'd have gone for another half hour.

Thought mul was better than people are saying, won 3 frees and scored one (disallowed goal too) and thats off a quality corner back, had one very poor touch when he would have had a good scoring chance, not worried about him.

Looking forward to the year we're going to be competitive, if we continue to improve we've got prospects. (Tipp were poor though, the full back thing has upset the whole thing, there forwards could have rattled over a half dozen more scores if they'd any composure)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 betterbodies

Can anyone name the subs from yesterday? And do limerick always carry 3 goalies there were 3 warming up yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I'm looking forward to watching the game again and no doubt I'll see some glaringly obvious things when I do but I'm delighted with how good we were. I had concerns about a few players and every one of them proved me wrong.

Quaid - super, very assured display. Deliveries from the back generally good but we need to work on winning out own puck outs as we lost too many. Occasional short puck outs might be a benefit. 8
    Hickey - what a ****ing athlete. A worry as a conventional corner back but a master stroke from management as he was all over the field. He has to end up at 6 some day. Ciarán Carey-esque point at the end. 9
    Richie - Ohhhhhhhhh Richie McCaaaaaarthy 9
    Condon - this guy must be a nightmare to get marked by. Couple of little mistakes but a super game overall. Hope no disciplinary proceedings are brought up post game from an altercation early on, don't know what the level of guilt is. 7
    Paudie - didn't think he should start, proved wrong again. Good. Needs to work on delivery forward a bit better. 7
    Wayne - On Tipps best forward/player he did alright, held the middle and drove forward at times, we know what we'll get from Wayne. 7
    Gavin - Not his best ever outing, he'll improve. 6
    Browne - Super player, proves you don't need to be huge in the modern game. Quiet first half but a brilliant second, covers insane amounts of ground and chipped in a point.
    Ryan - Doubted whether he was our best option for midfield but what a warrior. His best ever display in a green jersey. 9
    Dowling - Aboy the Dow for proving me wrong, unerring from frees and productive from play, there's more in him and he should only improve as he gets fitter as the summer goes on. 9
    Dodge - two super points in the second half showed the management were pretty tactically aware. Good overall. Wasted in a full forward for a spell and I'm sure he wasn't happy being shoved in there. 11 may suit him well if allowed to play very deep towards midfield. 7
    Hannon - Great to see him back. Clearly a bit rusty but we saw some of what he can do with scores and passes. 7
    Mulcahy - Marking the best corner back in Ireland he won three frees which were converted, passed for a score, and should have had a goal. 7
    Downes - Didn't entirely set the world alight but won ball, scored, drove at the heart of defence and was good all round. Spent time at full, centre, and wing forward. Best position 11 but I think we'll have to leave him on the wing with Dodge at 11 and Dowling inside. 8
    Tobin - I'm not sure I saw him strike a ball and he was well marshalled today, though suffered from a lack of delivery. I think he's better to spring from the bench his energy can be more effective when the game has broken up. 5
    Tom Ryan - Super point from a player I expected to start. I'd say they had him earmarked to come in midfield but Browne and Ryan were gong to too well to sub.

Teege and co - Two astute moves in staying hickey in the role he played and exposing Maher at 6 by having Dodge play deep. Use of the bench questionable and may need to be used earlier the next day. 90% of their selections worked well. 8

And so we turn to Ciarán and the U-21s, who have to go up against a team going for a 3-in-a-row, and who are loaded with talent from back to front. Hidalgo in the Clare thread said that Tots is now out, as well as Shane O'Donnell, but they have loads of class forwards still available.

Should be a decent crowd there after the senior victory, and it will be interesting to see how Carey does... you'd imagine Clare will bring a big crowd too.

It's a tough draw, we're really up against it, and you'd imagine that we aren't very likely to win. From Carey's point-of-view, not only does he have to get a performance from the team, he needs to show he's astute tactically if he wants to get the senior job in future. We do have some very talented players, but some of them have under-performed at this level in the past.

And I realised that since the Leaving Cert starts Wednesday- it's highly unlikely that Ronan or Cian Lynch, or La Touche Cosgrave or Barry Nash will be playing. Which is a big blow.

I imagine our U-21 hurlers will be choosing from a group of players such as:

Goalkeepers: PJ Hall (Adare), Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen), Darragh Stapleton (Doon)

Full-Backs: Mark Carmody (Patrickswell), Niall Carmody (Patrickswell), James Carrig (Patrickswell), Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh), Richie English (Doon), Shane Irwin (Bruff), Mark O'Callaghan (Knockaderry)

Half-Backs: Diarmuid Byrnes (Patrickswell), Evan Fitzgerald (Claghaun), Andrew Hannigan (St. Pat's), Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen), Barry Lynch (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh), Dan Morrissey (Ahane), Barry O'Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)

Midfielders: Jamie Butler (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), Diarmuid Dee (Mungret), Darragh Donovan (Doon), Brian Finn (Bruff), Jody Hannon (Adare), William O'Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh), Adrian Roberts (Ballybrown)

Half-Forwards: David Condron (Granagh/Ballingarry), Dave Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh), Leigh Doolin (Ballybrown), Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh), Mike Fitzgibbon (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), Gearoid Hegarty (St. Pat's) Jack Kelliher (Patrickswell), Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Brendan O'Connor (Croagh/Kilfinny), Eoin O'Farrell (Croom), David Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca)

Full-Forwards: Jack Aherne (Killeedy), Dean Coleman (Doon), Evan Egan (Na Piasaigh), David Hall (Ballybrown), Barry Murphy (Doon), Kevin O'Brien (Patrickswell), Liam O'Sullivan (Knockaderry), Pat Ryan (Doon)

Those in bold have made the senior panel in the past.
    Those in bold & italics are still in the squad for the Championship.
    Those underlined were in the U-21 panel last year.
    Those in just italics are still minor and may not be included, I don't know what the policy will be.
    Now I'd probably go for:

1. PJ Hall
    2. Shane Irwin
    3. Richie English
    4. Mark Carmody
    5. Diarmuid Byrnes
    6. Barry Lynch
    7. Dan Morrissey
    8. Barry O'Connell
    9. Ronan Lynch
    10. Cian Lynch
    11. Shane Dowling
    12. David Reidy
    13. Kevin O'Brien
    14. Dave Dempsey/Dean Coleman
    15. Jack Aherne

16. Darragh Stapleton; 17. Michael Casey; 18. James Carrig; 19. Diarmuid Dee; 20. Jody Hannon; 21. Darragh Donovan; 22. Mike Fitzgibbon; 23. Brendan O'Connor; 24. Dave Dempsey/Dean Coleman

Obviously you have to take Ronan Lynch, Cian Lynch, David Reidy and Diarmuid Dee out of that panel... I haven't heard of any other players not being available, so I'm going with that.

So now I'd go for:
    Hall
    Irwin English Casey
    Lynch Byrnes Morrissey
    O'Donoghue O'Connell
    Dowling Dempsey Carmody
    O'Brien Coleman Aherne

Which on paper, looks a lot weaker. I've brought Casey, O'Donoghue and the other of Coleman/Dempsey into the team. That moves Carmody to wing-forward, but maybe he'd be better around the middle. We've got O'Connell, Lynch, Byrnes and Morrissey- all who's best position is in the half-back line, and are all are probably too good to leave off the team.

A bench of- Stapleton, Carrig, N. Carmody, Roberts, Hannon, Donovan, Fitzgibbon, O'Connor, O'Sullivan

Has to be downes at CF, seems blindingly obvious to me.

Hickey was very good yesterday, but it suited us that he ended up at half rather than a conventional corner back. Wouldnt have considered him a centre back option previously but after yesterday maybe, still left his man go for the 2nd goal cant do that. Some effort off that injury though and he was going strong at the end you felt he'd have gone for another half hour.

Thought mul was better than people are saying, won 3 frees and scored one (disallowed goal too) and thats off a quality corner back, had one very poor touch when he would have had a good scoring chance, not worried about him.

Looking forward to the year we're going to be competitive, if we continue to improve we've got prospects. (Tipp were poor though, the full back thing has upset the whole thing, there forwards could have rattled over a half dozen more scores if they'd any composure)

I think Downes himself might revel the space he might get in the corner, because he has the strength to win his own ball, and can turn and run towards goal. But his ability to win ball and drive through the centre is too good to not play him there, where he can bring others into play. How nice would it be to have Dowling and Hannon receiving passes off the shoulder from Downes, rather than trying to hold the ball while being pushed by defenders beyond the '65?

My fear about playing Hickey as a roving corner-back was that our other full-backs would get isolated inside. It didn't really happen, but Gar Ryan drifted in for the goal and that hurt us. Hickey is a super player though, and it seemed as if he was following orders. I'd still start him higher up the pitch and play Dempsey/Walsh as an actual corner-back.

And I just don't think Mulcahy touched the ball enough. He's great when he gets the ball into his hand, but we should be trying to make that happen more often.

Can anyone name the subs from yesterday? And do limerick always carry 3 goalies there were 3 warming up yesterday

Off the top of my head, the subs were:

Aaron Murphy, Stevie Walsh, Alan Dempsey, Dan Morrissey, Cathal King, Tom Ryan, Conor Allis, David Breen, Mikey Ryan, Tommy O'Brien, Tommy Quaid.

Obviously there wasn't 2 goalies on the bench, but I know Barry Hennessey is on the panel. I didn't see him yesterday, but I presume he was the other one.

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head, the subs were:

Aaron Murphy, Stevie Walsh, Alan Dempsey, Dan Morrissey, Cathal King, Tom Ryan, Conor Allis, David Breen, Mikey Ryan, Tommy O'Brien, Tommy Quaid.

Obviously there wasn't 2 goalies on the bench, but I know Barry Hennessey is on the panel. I didn't see him yesterday, but I presume he was the other one.

Yeah Barry togged out yesterday. He was in a picture on sports file

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement