Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm most worried about the half-back line tbh.

Paudie is a fine player, but his form hasn't been great, and he's better at midfield. Wayne Mac isn't a top centre-back either.

It's good that Ryan seems to be given a go, but I think we'll need his physicality in the half-back line.

I'd be happier with a half-back line consisting of Ryan/Hickey/Gavin than our current one. Dodge at centre-forward isn't a bad call, less mobility needed and still an intelligent player, always good for a score.

Stick someone like Dempsey in midfield if we're looking for an intelligent, mobile hurler.

Sadly, it would seem we're well off the pace when compared to some of the 1A teams. Will we be able to up it in the heat of Championship? Seems unlikely tbqh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Hopefully some of the lads knocking on the door get some game time against Tipp and set us up for a run through the back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

Vanolder wrote: »
    Hopefully some of the lads knocking on the door get some game time against Tipp and set us up for a run through the back door.

if the management are not concenterating on the back door then all is losst.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Vanolder, I've read on other forums that the challenge match was on at 6.30 tonight.

francozola wrote: »
    Vanolder, I've read on other forums that the challenge match was on at 6.30 tonight.

Still heard we lost :P

But....

https://twitter.com/OfficialWexGAA/status/468099197896765441

Tipp lost by 9 to Wexford. Obviously don't know what the respective teams were like. I think their end-of-league form shows they'll be well able for most challenges.

• Advertisement

That's what I said!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Yeah heard we lost by 2.
    Don't mind losing as long as the performances are there. We lost most challenges last year.

Re Tipp, I read they changed their 6 backs at half time and conceded 4 goals in the second half.

Another thing, last year the Limerick GAA twitter & facebook pages had reporting on challenges, it's a pity they haven't posted any updates over the last few wipes. Relying on word of mouth is frustrating.

Yeah heard we lost by 2.
    Don't mind losing as long as the performances are there. We lost most challenges last year.

Re Tipp, I read they changed their 6 backs at half time and conceded 4 goals in the second half.

Another thing, last year the Limerick GAA twitter & facebook pages had reporting on challenges, it's a pity they haven't posted any updates over the last few wipes. Relying on word of mouth is frustrating.

TJ's given the orders.

Lulling everyone into a false sense of security and then we catch everyone by surprise and win the All-Ireland! :D

I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

It's not what I'd pick but based on what we've seen I think Teege will pick this for the Tipp game:

Quaid
    Hickey
    Richie
    Condon
    POM
    Wayne Mc
    GOM
    Browne
    Tom Ryan
    Hannon
    DOG
    Ryan
    Mulcahy
    Dowling
    Downes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Yeah looks like the team alright, can see us conceding a lot, bout 25,26 points. Dont think we'll score more than 20, half forwards be dominated and the FF forward just wont get enough good ball.

Prediction for hickey to make paddy no 11 to pull his hair out, about 1/100.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd also agree that it looks like what the team will be. Also wouldn't be what I'd play at all.

On paper, it's not a bad team really... all of the players there are good enough to play to an intercounty standard. It's the overall gameplan and form that I'd be most worried about. I'd also tweak that team to get the best out of them.

I'm a massive Hickey fan, good corner-back, but I think he's wasted there. Better off in midfield or in the half-back line- and with big problems at centre-back, I'd use him to fill that void. We've got loads of good corner-backs.

That half-forward line would seem to be built around getting Hannon the ball, which is a good plan, but we need him to perform. On paper, that is a serious inside forward line, as good as any really... but if they don't get the ball, they can't do damage.

There's a few calls to make for this game that have to be selected as horses for courses and another few that are affected by the game time or lack of it given to certain players in the league.

Agree with Dodgy and Elvis on Walsh for this game. At the start of the year I'd have wanted to see that spot go to King or Dempsey but in the absence of a decent run for either so far it wouldn't be wise to start them. It's a pity because both have a lot to offer the team. Walsh is a super corner back is his own right and was outstanding against tipp last year.

At half back I'd have wanted hickey or DOG at 6 but that can't happen now. He wouldn't be my selection at 6 for the full championship but Wayne has to be there for Tipp to try contain Maher. I wouldn't be surprised if O'Shea targeted POM and put Maher on him. POM hasn't looked in brilliant form and I'd have Tom Ryan start ahead of him at wing back. Apparently Breen has been used at half back the last two challenge games and could still be a surprise pick there.

At midfield I think we should just select a three man midfield from the outset. We have a rake of players that's can play in midfield and I think we'd get more benefit playing a midfield like DOG, Browne and Hickey, than by having two corner forwards and leaving someone like Hickey on the bench. In that set up I'd have Downes at half forward and probably Dowling inside with Mulcahy.

There's a few calls to make for this game that have to be selected as horses for courses and another few that are affected by the game time or lack of it given to certain players in the league.

Agree with Dodgy and Elvis on Walsh for this game. At the start of the year I'd have wanted to see that spot go to King or Dempsey but in the absence of a decent run for either so far it wouldn't be wise to start them. It's a pity because both have a lot to offer the team. Walsh is a super corner back is his own right and was outstanding against tipp last year.

At half back I'd have wanted hickey or DOG at 6 but that can't happen now. He wouldn't be my selection at 6 for the full championship but Wayne has to be there for Tipp to try contain Maher. I wouldn't be surprised if O'Shea targeted POM and put Maher on him. POM hasn't looked in brilliant form and I'd have Tom Ryan start ahead of him at wing back. Apparently Breen has been used at half back the last two challenge games and could still be a surprise pick there.

At midfield I think we should just select a three man midfield from the outset. We have a rake of players that's can play in midfield and I think we'd get more benefit playing a midfield like DOG, Browne and Hickey, than by having two corner forwards and leaving someone like Hickey on the bench. In that set up I'd have Downes at half forward and probably Dowling inside with Mulcahy.

Wrong board, numb nuts....Elvis posts on TFK remember?? :-)

Wrong board, numb nuts....Elvis posts on TFK remember?? :-)

Thanks Mark, copy and pasted my post and (obviously) forgot to edit that bit.

Going to be a long 2 weeks to throw in, nathin but idle speculation and fluctuating levels of optimism for the next while. Cant imagine the team sheet will help when the above side is named either.

We conceded 6 goals v galway. Walsh/Richie back in tandem for tipp please.

Who was there for the Galway game?

Breen was CB as Wayne was out-- They walked through him for 5 goals.

The two outstand issues at the moment are corner back and midfield -I think every where else is more or less sorted.

Breen was CB as Wayne was out-- They walked through him for 5 goals.

The two outstand issues at the moment are corner back and midfield -I think every where else is more or less sorted.
    Who was full and corners though? Has to be Walsh corner back. King didn't get enough of a run but played his way off in the league semi, hopefully he works his way back in. They hardly gave Dempsey a look in which was poor. Hickey/Tom Ryan midfield.

Didnt hear the team, but Richie was on club duty. I just dont want to see walsh dropped for hickey. If they have to find a place for hickey then let it be midfield. Our half back line is vunerable enough without introducing a player who's not a corner back to the position.

• Advertisement

Didnt hear the team, but Richie was on club duty. I just dont want to see walsh dropped for hickey. If they have to find a place for hickey then let it be midfield. Our half back line is vunerable enough without introducing a player who's not a corner back to the position.

Completely agree. I think Hickey has to play, either at 5, midfield or wing forward. Also, Walsh was outstanding v Tipp last year, and no one has done enough to dislodge him from his position (this is partly the managements fault for not giving enough time to King and especially Dempsey).

We conceded 6 goals against Galway? How many did we score, if we only lost by 2?

I wouldn't replace Walsh with Hickey, if we're replacing Walsh, it should be Dempsey to come in. Can't believe he hasn't been given more of a chance.

The half-back line has been put under pressure all year, and is my main worry. Paudie is not really a wing-back, credit to him that he was so good last year, but he can be exposed physically... and he's not playing well either. Wayne isn't a centre-back, of course neither is Breen, and both of those would be brutally exposed by a roaming, pacy centre-forward and direct-running midfielders. Hickey should be played at centre-back imo... while we could use him elsewhere, we have other players who could slot in like Tom Ryan or King, while we have no proper centre-back.

As for the forwards, if we go with a 2-man inside line, I'd worry that Dowling lacks the mobility and Mulcahy lacks the strength if they are outnumbered. The Galway game was depressing, hit long balls in on top of Dowling, surrounded by 4 defenders. Downes is a better option inside, but Downes is a better option everywhere. It's just a pity we can't clone him.

If we do go with O'Grady at centre-forward, then I suppose Downes and Hannon would be good players to have either side, but then where would Jim-Bob go? We could drop Jim-Bob to midfield either.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    We conceded 6 goals against Galway? How many did we score, if we only lost by 2?

I wouldn't replace Walsh with Hickey, if we're replacing Walsh, it should be Dempsey to come in. Can't believe he hasn't been given more of a chance.

The half-back line has been put under pressure all year, and is my main worry. Paudie is not really a wing-back, credit to him that he was so good last year, but he can be exposed physically... and he's not playing well either. Wayne isn't a centre-back, of course neither is Breen, and both of those would be brutally exposed by a roaming, pacy centre-forward and direct-running midfielders. Hickey should be played at centre-back imo... while we could use him elsewhere, we have other players who could slot in like Tom Ryan or King, while we have no proper centre-back.

As for the forwards, if we go with a 2-man inside line, I'd worry that Dowling lacks the mobility and Mulcahy lacks the strength if they are outnumbered. The Galway game was depressing, hit long balls in on top of Dowling, surrounded by 4 defenders. Downes is a better option inside, but Downes is a better option everywhere. It's just a pity we can't clone him.

If we do go with O'Grady at centre-forward, then I suppose Downes and Hannon would be good players to have either side, but then where would Jim-Bob go? We could drop Jim-Bob to midfield either.

I'll be surprised if anything other than the team I predicted a while back is selected.

Walsh has to start. Wayne Mc can be exposed but he is the best man to mark Bonner Maher who presumably tipp will play at 11. They could target Paudie by putting Maher on him and stick Lar at 11. If so the sideline better react sharpish. Agree on Paudie at the mo and think Ryan should come in for him.

I presume they'll just shift Ryan out to wing forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Despite being Munster champions we seem to be off everybodys radar this year. A win and we will be considered contenders. A defeat and we are further off the radar and can a good run through the qualifiers puts us in the semi final without anybody taking much notice.

Clare were nobodies until beating Limerick last year.

Hard to know which result to wish for but the All Ireland must be the primary target.

I'll be surprised if anything other than the team I predicted a while back is selected.

Walsh has to start. Wayne Mc can be exposed but he is the best man to mark Bonner Maher who presumably tipp will play at 11. They could target Paudie by putting Maher on him and stick Lar at 11. If so the sideline better react sharpish. Agree on Paudie at the mo and think Ryan should come in for him.

I presume they'll just shift Ryan out to wing forward.

Last year, Wayne did a decent job on Bonner Maher but Maher still waltzed in behind our full-back line a couple of times to set up chances for Callinan, which we were lucky they weren't converted.

If they move Jim-Bob to wing-forward, that means Downes plays inside?

Last year, Wayne did a decent job on Bonner Maher but Maher still waltzed in behind our full-back line a couple of times to set up chances for Callinan, which we were lucky they weren't converted.

If they move Jim-Bob to wing-forward, that means Downes plays inside?

I presume so. In fact, one change to the team I've predicted is yet seem to have placed dowling in the corner and downes at full the last couple of challenges.

I presume so. In fact, one change to the team I've predicted is yet seem to have placed dowling in the corner and downes at full the last couple of challenges.

I know Dowling played in the corner for NaP a few years ago, but I wonder does he have the mobility to play there. I'd prefer him centrally, with Downes having better movement.

I know Dowling played in the corner for NaP a few years ago, but I wonder does he have the mobility to play there. I'd prefer him centrally, with Downes having better movement.

Would have thought that first off but presumably one plays further out a bit. If not then it may still make sense. Dowling would be ate alive by Maher at full forward, he wouldn't catch high balls off him and he wouldn't have the speed or mobility to beat him to any other ball. He might catch a high ball isolated against a corner back.

No one mentioned David Reidy's injury? Huge blow to the 21s, would be one of their key players this year... even if he wasn't hugely effective last year. Would have learned even more from all the starts he got in the league with the seniors this year.

As if Clare need another advantage. Still, it would seem as if the 21 preparations are going quietly well, they'll be well fired up anyway.

• Advertisement

Just gutted bout that, got to be worth a few points to clare as if they were'nt going to be hard enough to beat.

Cork to win sunday 5-8 points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement