Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Encie

FionaD2 wrote: »
    Dont think the second draw for accomodation includes those already on the waiting list :/

I dont think so either, not with the way they have it worded on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stars123

Encie wrote: »
    I dont think so either, not with the way they have it worded on the site.

I think it includes the people who applied after a certain date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭lolabearxx

Hark, those on the Cao waiting list for accommodation.
    There's another random selection process for those who have just applied for Campus AND those already on the waiting list.
    8 percent of people waiting for campus will get a place, chosen by random of course. To put it into perspective, roughly 24 people will get selected. It's a slim chance yes but still.

I'm currently 156 on the waiting list and already buried my hopes of getting a place that way. The other selection process is carried out soon and we will know by next Monday.

And if that falls through, we may start house hunting with each other!

i am 153rd or something so i feel your pain!

if i dont get on campus (which is unlikely but theres always hope right?!) where would be a good place to still have the craic as a first year everyone?
    obviously i wana live with other 1st years so how do you get in touch with them even?
    aaggghhhhhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stars123

lolabearxx wrote: »
    i am 153rd or something so i feel your pain!

if i dont get on campus (which is unlikely but theres always hope right?!) where would be a good place to still have the craic as a first year everyone?
    obviously i wana live with other 1st years so how do you get in touch with them even?
    aaggghhhhhh!!!

I'm 183rd!! Looking for accommodation with other first years, it's so difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭annoyingbeast

Hey
    18, m going into first year doing history and politics here!

Need a place to stay! single or twin room! whatever! my budget is like up to 80 a week? 85?
    pm me on this or [snip]

• Advertisement

Stars123 wrote: »
    I'm 183rd!! Looking for accommodation with other first years, it's so difficult!

i know i thought that the res office would have maybe a list of 1st years or something but they told me it had nothing to do with them so we're all pretty much by ourselves on this one :L
    it'll be okay though hopefully, LOADS of people have to be in the same boat right?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 olliej

I'm 160th on the waiting list for the on campus accommodation and I'm not holding my breath for a place to be honest!

Does anyone know of any off-campus accommodation that the majority of other 1st years end up in??
    Or any places that should really be avoided??!

i know i thought that the res office would have maybe a list of 1st years or something but they told me it had nothing to do with them so we're all pretty much by ourselves on this one :L
    it'll be okay though hopefully, LOADS of people have to be in the same boat right?

yeah, there's about 260 people in the same boat :L Most of them probably 1st years

yeah, there's about 260 people in the same boat :L Most of them probably 1st years

oh definately, NUIM need to build some more campus accommodation!

oh definately, NUIM need to build some more campus accommodation!

yes! but I'm gonna wait till I've maybe finished college until I start criticising the people running it :L

I'm not even really sure where to start looking for off-campus. I really was counting on getting the 500 points and then the ~*guaranteed*~ place on-campus. No such luck though :C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

olliej wrote: »
    I'm 160th on the waiting list for the on campus accommodation and I'm not holding my breath for a place to be honest!

Does anyone know of any off-campus accommodation that the majority of other 1st years end up in??
    Try here also hit daft and did you get a list of off campus accomodation from the college?

Im in the same boat here,
    18 m going into first year! if your short a guy pm me on this...

It seems a load of 1st years are the same....

yes! but I'm gonna wait till I've maybe finished college until I start criticising the people running it :L

I'm not even really sure where to start looking for off-campus. I really was counting on getting the 500 points and then the ~*guaranteed*~ place on-campus. No such luck though :C

im the same i was foooking 5 points off it im so annoyed!

Im in the same boat here,
    18 m going into first year! if your short a guy pm me on this or email me

I don't even know where to start looking for a house?!?
    Also, I'm a girl. I don't know if that matters, but I get the impression you think I'm a lad :P

im the same i was foooking 5 points off it im so annoyed!

I was 10 points off. And have been dramatically flouncing through the house yelling "10 POINTS!!" at random intervals. I feel your pain. :L

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Try here also hit daft and did you get a list of off campus accomodation from the college?

I havent tried daft yet, thank you! and as for the list - I was looking at the one they have on the residence office site?

Thank you :) Nope I haven't heard anything from the college except an email saying that I was on the waiting list. How would I get that list??

I was 10 points off. And have been dramatically flouncing through the house yelling "10 POINTS!!" at random intervals. I feel your pain. :L

I havent tried daft yet, thank you! and as for the list - I was looking at the one they have on the residence office site?

That would be the one also see below
    Thank you smile.gif Nope I haven't heard anything from the college except an email saying that I was on the waiting list. How would I get that list??
    No problem.

This is the current available list. Now when i started they also had paper lists (sorted by the accom type, digs etc) in the residence office for anyone going house searching that day in maynooth.

I will say to all of you, there will be people who decide not to take their campus place so you could be lucky like i was in first year. That being said please do have a back up plan.

I don't even know where to start looking for a house?!?
    Also, I'm a girl. I don't know if that matters, but I get the impression you think I'm a lad :P

Like daft.ie or something? Naah it doesnt matter to me! Im not real messy and smelly or anything! dont worry :L

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SB10123456

I'm looking for off campus accommodation too :eek

Which of the areas on the list would be closest to the campus would you know? I dont mind a bit of a walk but if I'm carrying my guitar (Im doing music!) it might get a bit heavy. Or I could develop super upper body strength. (unlikely... but still) any help appreciated :)

• Advertisement

That would be the one also see below

No problem.

This is the current available list. Now when i started they also had paper lists (sorted by the accom type, digs etc) in the residence office for anyone going house searching that day in maynooth.

I will say to all of you, there will be people who decide not to take their campus place so you could be lucky like i was in first year. That being said please do have a back up plan.

That's deadly, thanks so much, I think I may tip up to Maynooth this week and see what the different places are like. Thanks for all of your help! :)

Which of the areas on the list would be closest to the campus would you know? I dont mind a bit of a walk but if I'm carrying my guitar (Im doing music!) it might get a bit heavy. Or I could develop super upper body strength. (unlikely... but still) any help appreciated :)
    You're gonna be bringing the guitar to south campus generally so here is a map of maynooth for you. South campus is what's referred to as Old Campus

Maynooth-Housing-and-Accommodation-Map.mediumthumb.jpg

thank you, jpcarlow! That's a massive help :)

Like daft.ie or something? Naah it doesnt matter to me! Im not real messy and smelly or anything! dont worry :L

Good to know :P I'm going to tip up to Maynooth tomorrow and have a look around at different available places :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FionaD2

Going into my first year in Maynooth and I didn't get campus. Which would be the best to do - go for self catering digs and hope I don't live with some really strict family or try get a house and hopefully end up with mostly first years? Also which is the best area for first year students to get a house if I was to get one?

FionaD2 wrote: »
    Going into my first year in Maynooth and I didn't get campus. Which would be the best to do - go for self catering digs and hope I don't live with some really strict family or try get a house and hopefully end up with mostly first years? Also which is the best area for first year students to get a house if I was to get one?
    depends on your budget really tbh. With regards to hoping you're only sharing with first years, that's highly likely seeing as how many people seem to coming to maynooth. That being said there's nothing wrong in sharing with 2nds or 3rdies either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

That being said there's nothing wrong in sharing with 2nds or 3rdies either

+1 we don't bite :P

Sure only one or two years ago we were in your exact situation , living with people who know the ropes may actually be beneficial somewhat to you .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Think you'll find more people reluctant to share with 1st years tbh. I have some friends who are going into second year now and when they were looking for houses last year they had a policy of not telling the landlords it was their first year in maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Jonah42 wrote: »
    Think you'll find more people reluctant to share with 1st years tbh. I have some friends who are going into second year now and when they were looking for houses last year they had a policy of not telling the landlords it was their first year in maynooth.

i think landlords are more reluctant too, that said you can get some first years with a decent head on their shoulders that would atleast be up for the craic, Id preffer that to some houses ive been in with 3rd/4th years who act like theyre 60 and spend too much time working, not enough time having fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Jonah42 wrote: »

That is true , think it's just because 1st years tend to have a bit of a reputation for being rowdy and immature since its their first time away from home and all that....

Advertisement