Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Loughc wrote: »
    Yea, I agree. When the usual constraints of competition, promo, etc are off them they really shine. And Ray seems to revel having an audience. Hopefully tickets are easy to comeby. They should be with it being in the RDS this year.

Problem was anyone whos not invested in the show which is the majority of Dublin won't care what they are doing when they flick around the morning, so I don't see many tuning in out of interest. All the music was live last time, so when people are flicking it doesn't jump out, I don't see it gaining a new audience really. It will be interesting to see whats done differently this time and what they have learned from last time and how it's all implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

soc160 wrote: »
    Problem was anyone whos not invested in the show which is the majority of Dublin won't care what they are doing when they flick around the morning, so I don't see many tuning in out of interest. All the music was live last time, so when people are flicking it doesn't jump out, I don't see it gaining a new audience really. It will be interesting to see whats done differently this time and what they have learned from last time and how it's all implemented.

Not everything needs to be aimed at gaining new listeners. Us loyal fans need to be entertained too

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Synode wrote: »
    Not everything needs to be aimed at gaining new listeners. Us loyal fans need to be entertained too

I assume that's a joke... With the level of listenership for that show it should all be focused on gain. What's the point of maintaining 37k listeners, particularly when q102 will be hot on their heals with a new breakfast show from 6 to 10. They could find themselves even lower. Drop the gimmicks and get on with developing a solid show and brand. There is much to be done.

I assume that's a joke... With the level of listenership for that show it should all be focused on gain. What's the point of maintaining 37k listeners, particularly when q102 will be hot on their heals with a new breakfast show from 6 to 10. They could find themselves even lower. Drop the gimmicks and get on with developing a solid show and brand. There is much to be done.

Yeah who cares about keeping existing listeners. Cut them all loose as long as numbers go up :pac: Really wish they were back on a National station. This numbers lark and the pandering that goes with it is a pain in the ring.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yeah who cares about keeping existing listeners. Cut them all loose as long as numbers go up :pac: Really wish they were back on a National station. This numbers lark and the pandering that goes with it is a pain in the ring.

Maybe if Dempsey's figures keep sliding they'll finally come home again... :( :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There aren't enough within the franchise area to support such a heavy cost show (multiple presenters, none cheap); and it seems many of the loyal fans on here don't live even close to the franchise area.

I understand the issues. I was just saying that not everything needs to be aimed at getting new listeners. A good deal does, but not everything.

For me the problem is 98fm itself. I turn off immediately after Foley as I hate Adrian Kennedy (and that style of show). I don't switch back on once I've changed as Today FM have better shows from 12pm. If they had shows like Dermot & Dave and an afternoon show that was a mixture of chat and music (something like Louise Duffy but preferably better) then I might stay with them. But they don't so I don't.

People are pretty loyal to the stations they listen to so you need to have an all day package to offer them to get them to stay tuned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

When Foley first went to 98 I started listening to the rest of the schedule just to see what it was like. I loved Dermot & Dave so would listen to Foley, then back to Today FM for D'Arcy and KC, then back to 98 for D&D.

Now that D&D are on Today FM, I'll only listen to Foley on 98 and most days it's the Foley Show podcast I'll listen to. I can leave Today FM on from 10am to 7pm and be happy with the schedule.

If it was up to me I'd move Barry Dunne back to mid-mornings, Dara Quilty to lunchtimes and have afternoons/drivetime music-driven and have Dublin Talks the late evening show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Catching up on some old podcasts and have to laugh again at Foley slagging D&D in the 22nd Oct podcast for being unoriginal, especially since Ray himself is using Eh Yeah OK which was created circa 2004, a secret sound bit, a throwback Thursday bit, a happy song bit, a "What's on TV tonight?" bit, etc, etc.

Seriously, I don't get Foley's hatred for D&D at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I don't get it either wnolan. Dermot and Dave's show has been sounding a hell of a lot better than Ray's for a good 6 months or so. I've pretty much stopped listening to 98 at this stage other than Ray (and that's not half as often as I used to, seeing as Moyles is back on the air), especially now that Eoghan McDermott is on 2fm drivetime.

• Advertisement

Is it real hatred or could he be taking the mick?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

and have Dublin Talks the late evening show.

Apparently Kennedy/Dixon are contracted for daytimes only, so that's not possible

Is it real hatred or could he be taking the mick?

I wouldn't say it is real hatred as such, he was definitely serious in his slagging of them though. I'd say it's more of a 'disdain' for their style of radio. I can't understand it though. To me, himself and JP are very close in terms of dynamic and style to Dermot & Dave.

When they took over the lunchtime slot Ray said something along the lines of 'at one time D&D were known in industry circles as a byword for poor radio' which might have been true at one time back in the day, but personally hearing him slag them off and then slag Today FM for poor choices and their direction in general, it (a) came across as sour grapes and (b) dashed my hopes of him returning to the station in the near future if he was going to burn too many bridges.

I remember him saying though that at one time he would have been really pissed off with Today FM 's direction but both himself and JP said a lot had changed there since they had left and it wasn't the same place they had worked at. Around that time iirc Ann and Shauna were seemingly told they couldn't do the NTN Podcast too so that might have added to his frustration.

However he feels about Today FM now I don't know, but from a listener point of view the station is flying it for me. It seems like great craic working there and it comes across from all aspects of the station, from the presenters, newsreaders, sports people, social media etc. In an ideal world I'd have Ray, JP and Adelle back there, but considering they've all left along with Ray D'Arcy, KC and the passing of Tony Fenton, Today FM are still the strongest station nationally imo.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Apparently Kennedy/Dixon are contracted for daytimes only, so that's not possible

Oh right, I was just being hypotethical though, I knew what I suggested would be near impossible to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

True. I guess they are looking to build publicity and hype around it but the problems are deeper and rooted in the show's format it seems. If I was PD at 98 I wouldn't give it the go ahead though, seems a vanity project. I'd figures where improving it would be fine to ok something like that but it's a major project that will probably effect everyone in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Naked Breakfast date and some details: http://www.rds.ie/cat_event_detail.jsp?itemID=1103957

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Has he gone yet? Have 98fm come to there senses?

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

bbability wrote: »
    Has he gone yet? Have 98fm come to there senses?

Back Monday afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Foley is in my view the best music/banter/content presenter in the country
    He's very very talented.

But when **** is not working, get out of there before you're pushed out of there.

He has 37k tuned in daily. Aidan and Clare had 50+ and they got taken off air.

98fm is it's own biggest enemy. Millions of changes over the past 7 or 8 years.
    104 is the King of Dublin because of one word - Consistency.

I think they need to put Barry Dunne on breakfast and run out
    a tight music and information breakfast show.

LeakyGee wrote: »
    Foley is in my view the best music/banter/content presenter in the country
    He's very very talented.

But when **** is not working, get out of there before you're pushed out of there.

He has 37k tuned in daily. Aidan and Clare had 50+ and they got taken off air.

98fm is it's own biggest enemy. Millions of changes over the past 7 or 8 years.
    104 is the King of Dublin because of one word - Consistency.

I think they need to put Barry Dunne on breakfast and run out
    a tight music and information breakfast show.

I agree with the overall sentiment. 98fm is a mess and he will never be a success on that station. If they were on any other Dublin station they would be much further ahead rating wise.

• Advertisement

For anyone that is interested check out the latest The Manual Podcast with Mike Sheridan interviewing Dara Quilty. If you like Foley and podcasts you will enjoy it.

If you skip to about 1 hour 5 mins he talks a little about 98FM and Foley in particular who he has a lot of respect for. Also talks about trying to grow the station as the alternative to 104 and the issues 98FM had previously with branding etc. Gives a shout out to Chris Moyles and Dermot and Dave too.

Good show today, the lads really taking the mick out of themselves about how things are going on 98 today...sure what else can they do at this stage I guess!

Interesting to hear JP and his good friend Claire are no more...and the resulting Ian Dempsey story from Saturday night was hilarious, had me in stitches!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

whats the deal? where will ray and jp go now? surely dermot and daves old today fm slot is the best place for them?

There is no deal, they are at 98FM and doubt they will move along anytime soon. Previously someone mentioned here that their initial 3 year deal would have been up last month so they have seemingly signed a new one and I doubt they will cancel the show after just adding Muireann to the line up a couple of months ago.

Dermot and Dave's old Today FM slot? You mean Foley's old slot and their current one? Don't ever see them going back to lunchtimes, they will most likely stay with breakfast or do drive time...which, when you think about it could be a better fit for them in the long-term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

IUA14 wrote: »
    Dermot and Dave's old Today FM slot? You mean Foley's old slot and their current one? Don't ever see them going back to lunchtimes, they will most likely stay with breakfast or do drive time...which, when you think about it could be a better fit for them in the long-term?

Well they don't fit in on 98fm breakfast. The old rival has over double the audience. The student station next door has more listeners. That would have never been tolerated before. Its a numbers game no matter how you or I look at it and they have poor ratings.

bbability wrote: »
    Well they don't fit in on 98fm breakfast. The old rival has over double the audience. The student station next door has more listeners. That would have never been tolerated before. Its a numbers game no matter how you or I look at it and they have poor ratings.

I'd bet that q102 will also be ahead of them in the next book with an extended show and Dave Harrington in place.
    I'd guess they are also the most expensive breakfast show in Dublin, between salaries and marketing costs. Businesses (98fm is one I think, not so sure anymore) look for a return on investment so I would imagine management are having discussions regarding options to solve this ongoing problem.

I'd bet that q102 will also be ahead of them in the next book with an extended show and Dave Harrington in place.
    I'd guess they are also the most expensive breakfast show in Dublin, between salaries and marketing costs. Businesses (98fm is one I think, not so sure anymore) look for a return on investment so I would imagine management are having discussions regarding options to solve this ongoing problem.

You would like to think so but this isn't a new problem, its been this way for a while and no massive changes to the show format that I can see. Looking at the ratings breakdown 104 have a huge jump from 7:45 so maybe 98FM need to combat that with some music segment...like "songs you wont hear anywhere else" and do solid music until the bulletin at 8 to offer something different and an alternative to 104.

Regardless this is all a mute point until the next book because I cannot see anything happening before then realistically.

Listened to the podcast today for the bits of this mornings show I missed and strong show...JP's break-up story and the "Stellar ****e...I mean Shine Awards" part out of the 8:30 Gossip Boys was brilliant...more of same please.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You can apply for tickets for the naked breakfast here.

http://www.98fm.com/Naked

Best of luck! Tickets should be ok. RDS is a big venue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

IUA14 wrote: »
    There is no deal, they are at 98FM and doubt they will move along anytime soon. Previously someone mentioned here that their initial 3 year deal would have been up last month so they have seemingly signed a new one and I doubt they will cancel the show after just adding Muireann to the line up a couple of months ago.

Yes I think drive time would suit them way better, they are just not breakfast show material, i think they should never have left today fm anyway

• Advertisement

"The Ray Foley Show.... Unquestionably.... one of Dublin's... breakfast shows"
    :pac::pac::pac:

Definitely applying for Naked Breakfast tix, would love to go! Hope the fact I'm an online (outside Dublin) listener won't go against me. :o

Advertisement