Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I agree with the overall sentiment. 98fm is a mess and he will never be a success on that station. If they were on any other Dublin station they would be much further ahead rating wise.

Would they though? Apart from maybe 104 who are much further ahead. 98 have given them every opportunity to make it work within reason, huge investment in marketing, adding a female voice, opening the playlisting up, cutting the show's time down... The schedule has been settled for a year now and it hasn't made a difference yet. They would be more restricted at most other stations in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Well other stations that are ahead of them, essentially 104 and Spin haven't had as dire a time over the last decade as 98 so probably, yes. Yes 98FM have invested in the show and but have not changed the format at all really. The show is the same length as it always was.

IUA14 wrote: »
    Well other stations that are ahead of them, essentially 104 and Spin haven't had as dire a time over the last decade as 98 so probably, yes. Yes 98FM have invested in the show and but have not changed the format at all really. The show is the same length as it always was.

So two, it would be more successful on two other stations in dublin primarily because they already have a listener base. They started on a show that had more listeners than it does now so the evidence isn't really there to support that.

I agree that the format doesn't suit them and it hasn't changed but that's more on them than it is 98, most breakfast shows follow tgat format and seeing ad Foley is a like him or hate him person, swapping to a personality based show could alienate more listeners.

Okay so out of curiosity and the fact people are always coming back to figures as a reason Foley should be given the boot I looked it up and Foley had 151,000 listeners when he left Today FM in October 2012 and was the 24th most listened to show in the country but crucially only 25,000 of those listeners were in Dublin.

98FM in Q4 2012 had 113,000 less listeners than FM104 and 37,000 less than Spin 1038. From Q4 in 2010 98FM had been on a sharp decline and FM104 a steady rise. In Foley's first quarter, 2013 Q1, 98FM was 123,000 listeners behind FM104 and 45,000 behind Spin1038. And in the all important numbers the breakfast show on 98FM and Foley were pulling in about 22,000 listeners. By the next book in 2013 Q2, 98FM were 138,000 listeners behind FM104 and even 8,000 behind Q102 and Foley only had 19,000 listeners by the looks of the graphs. In Q3 98FM lost another 33,000 listeners and dropped 54,000 listeners behind Spin1038. Obviously schedule changes and music changes are a key reason here, they took the hit then and stopped playing it safe to hopefully improve things down the line.

The gap now between FM104 and 98FM as of last book was 88,000 and Spin1038 was 41,000 so as a station 98FM has made significant gains since that time. So while Foley's numbers have dropped the last two books it is a far cry from where they were in their first year for both them and 98FM. I think for the first time in a long while 98FM now has a settled schedule and station brand from 6am to 9pm and the station management will see how it does over the next 12 months. Yes Foley came on board at the end of 2012 but the station changed schedules every 6 months since then which doesn't help, now they are settled down I reckon they will see how they do before jumping the gun and changing things again.

Here is the links for anyone wanting the data:
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/nlr-2013-1-national-stations
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/jnlr-2013-2-dublin-radio-listnership
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/jnlr-2015q3-dublin-listenership

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Okay so out of curiosity and the fact people are always coming back to figures as a reason Foley should be given the boot I looked it up and Foley had 151,000 listeners when he left Today FM in October 2012 and was the 24th most listened to show in the country but crucially only 25,000 of those listeners were in Dublin.

98FM in Q4 2012 had 113,000 less listeners than FM104 and 37,000 less than Spin 1038. From Q4 in 2010 98FM had been on a sharp decline and FM104 a steady rise. In Foley's first quarter, 2013 Q1, 98FM was 123,000 listeners behind FM104 and 45,000 behind Spin1038. And in the all important numbers the breakfast show on 98FM and Foley were pulling in about 22,000 listeners. By the next book in 2013 Q2, 98FM were 138,000 listeners behind FM104 and even 8,000 behind Q102 and Foley only had 19,000 listeners by the looks of the graphs. In Q3 98FM lost another 33,000 listeners and dropped 54,000 listeners behind Spin1038. Obviously schedule changes and music changes are a key reason here, they took the hit then and stopped playing it safe to hopefully improve things down the line.

The gap now between FM104 and 98FM as of last book was 88,000 and Spin1038 was 41,000 so as a station 98FM has made significant gains since that time. So while Foley's numbers have dropped the last two books it is a far cry from where they were in their first year for both them and 98FM. I think for the first time in a long while 98FM now has a settled schedule and station brand from 6am to 9pm and the station management will see how it does over the next 12 months. Yes Foley came on board at the end of 2012 but the station changed schedules every 6 months since then which doesn't help, now they are settled down I reckon they will see how they do before jumping the gun and changing things again.

Here is the links for anyone wanting the data:
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/nlr-2013-1-national-stations
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/jnlr-2013-2-dublin-radio-listnership
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/jnlr-2015q3-dublin-listenership

I respect your attempt to analyse the figures, however your analysis is not very robust and isn't how the sector or others for that matter would make conclusions. There are many reasons for it but the clear fact is they haven't delivered the goods.

I strongly disagree regarding 98FMs brand and schedule - it's a mess and lacks clear strategic market positioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

IUA - not having a go at you, I actually commend you trying to break down the JNLR figures - but some of them at the very least are wrong. Ray has never had only 19,000 in Dublin. He has however been falling overall in reach and share since he took over. You're also using weekly reach and mixing it in with breakfast show comparisons so I fear the above is confusing and misleading. Agree with you that they have to let things breathe now though and see how it works (quite the gamble if it isn't working).

Well that was condescending...and how would "the sector or others" make their conclusions?

Not robust? I just presented the picture of where they started from and where they are now since people keep bringing up their predecessors and listenership figures which I think is a fair way to do it. I do not disagree that they have not delivered on what was expected of them and that their figures are not good enough, especially dropping 6,000 the last two books. We can all have our opinions here but the station management will decide what they want and evidently at the moment they are keeping things intact and will see how it plays out.

People can disagree all they want but I think 98FM's brand and schedule apart from Dublin Talks is pretty decent.

IUA - not having a go at you, I actually commend you trying to break down the JNLR figures - but some of them at the very least are wrong. Ray has never had only 19,000 in Dublin. He has however been falling overall in reach and share since he took over. You're also using weekly reach and mixing it in with breakfast show comparisons so I fear the above is confusing and misleading. Agree with you that they have to let things breathe now though and see how it works (quite the gamble if it isn't working).

The 19,000 I got from the hourly breakdown of listenership in Dublin in 2013 Q2, the link is attached and graph is midway down the page. The weekly reach figures were simply to show the gaps in audience between stations and how far behind 98FM was and is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

The 19,000 I got from the hourly breakdown of listenership in Dublin in 2013 Q2, the link is attached and graph is midway down the page. The weekly reach figures were simply to show the gaps in audience between stations and how far behind 98FM was and is.

That sounds like an average quarter figure.

Well that was condescending...and how would "the sector or others" make their conclusions?

Not robust? I just presented the picture of where they started from and where they are now since people keep bringing up their predecessors and listenership figures which I think is a fair way to do it. I do not disagree that they have not delivered on what was expected of them and that their figures are not good enough, especially dropping 6,000 the last two books. We can all have our opinions here but the station management will decide what they want and evidently at the moment they are keeping things intact and will see how it plays out.

People can disagree all they want but I think 98FM's brand and schedule apart from Dublin Talks is pretty decent.

I said it as politely as I could.... I swear :)
    The correlations between the figures you state don't stack up. We can agree to disagree on the schedule but the figures are the figures.

• Advertisement

At no point was 98's breakfast at 19k listeners. The graph also says FM104 had about 55k, when they trumpet figures of 90k or so.

I don't understand these reports very well, I know someone else will explain how they work but the figures for the Local stations never match what the stations themselves claim. I know the stations get far more detailed books and I assume that's what Ilevel work off, the BAI release a press release with some stats too.

I think your figures are mixing different things together, someone else will probably explain these better and how to understand them.

Well if anyone can explain the listenership charts from iLevel then please do because it is confusing. The figures that I am using that are not stacking up I took directly from the links I included. I do realise the weekly reach part I may have confused you on my using the word listeners so my bad on that.

Leaving the listenership figures aside and just dealing with the reach figures its clear to see 98FM was in a bad way since 2010 and more-so in 2013 which seems to be the lowest point they were at so they have had limited success in clawing back some lost ground, and previous to the last two books which by all accounts were bad, they had been slowly growing. Emphasis on slowly. Anyways, this is a radio show thread so this figures debate needs to hit pause until the next set comes out.

Applied for tickets to The Naked Breakfast today and excited to see what other announcements they have for that over the next couple of weeks.

On a completely different point did anyone else notice that Foley's twitter went from "The Ray Foley Show" to "Ray Foley" and the 98FM picture of himself and JP changed to Ray on Saturday AM?

He seemed to imply that he was told to tweet more yesterday so maybe he is making it more of a personal twitter account now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yea I noticed that about his Twitter as well. I can imagine once the naked breakfast is done and Christmas we'll be seeing a change up in the breakfast show sadly.

I really like the non formatted bits and chats they do. If only they gave him more reigns to do more off the cuff stuff.

I'm not so sure we will see a change and the lads leaving if they had in fact extended their contracts. I would love them to go somewhere they have a fighting chance at being successful and doing a show, like you said, less formatted.

But besides all that I am really enjoying the show this week, on good form and the start of the show with their incredulous "we're back on the air today".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Only caught from 9:15am this morning. The interview with Nadia Forde was very funny.

Can't believe the show isn't more popular. It's by far the best breakfast show out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Synode wrote: »
    Only caught from 9:15am this morning. The interview with Nadia Forde was very funny.

Can't believe the show isn't more popular. It's by far the best breakfast show out there

But its not. Its ranked 6th in Dublin. #realitycheck

bbability wrote: »
    But its not. Its ranked 6th in Dublin. #realitycheck

There's no accounting for some people's taste :pac:

Yano the saying, biggest isn't always best.

Naked Breakfast promo has begun with this little video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l90ciy6WhCM

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yano the saying, biggest isn't always best.

Naked Breakfast promo has begun with this little video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l90ciy6WhCM

Can't wait. Last years show was so good!

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    There's no accounting for some people's taste :pac:

There is - it's called the JNLR and is published every quarter. ;-)

Lets aim for one day's chat about the show and not JNLR's which won't be out till February? :-)

Liking the WhatsApp audio bits they are doing with listeners on the show, the unenthusiastic guy today with the "skiddly-bon-bon-ding-dang" was gas! Show is a bit more craic this week, enjoying it!

Enjoying it immensely this week too. I think it's a mixture of having a week off, hyped about the naked breakfast and most likely they've stopped caring as they know their job is out of their hands now.

Foley is always at his best when he feels there's no consequences.

I'm not so sure they are going anywhere but it could be that they are finally being given a little bit of leeway since tried and tested has failed to deliver and are starting to enjoy themselves a little and make GREAT radio again.

Either way enjoying it and I think I love Nadia Forde after todays interview, makes such a difference when they genuinely enjoy an interview.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

As much as I'm enjoying the Whatsapp thing, you've gotta admit it's very similar to what D&D do with Boast... :pac:

*ducks to avoid the wrath of Foley*

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    As much as I'm enjoying the Whatsapp thing, you've gotta admit it's very similar to what D&D do with Boast... :pac:

Well, he's never had an original idea and Moyles isnt back on air long enough to nick from, so...

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Everyone's doing it now. Your man on at 7pm (Fergal ?) on Today FM started using Boast last night too.

What can they do. It's funny and allows fans interact with the show. I'm all for it

I agree, its a good idea and WhatsApp is much more accessible for listeners cause most people have it...also are 98 still the only station you can text for free using WhatsApp?

Gas start to the show this morning..."I'm thinking about balls". Foley looks about 12 in the pic of the three of them he put on Twitter this morning, certainly losing the weight!

Said photo. He's looking great. Is he back hitting the Gym?

https://twitter.com/rayfoleyshow/status/664757769594142720

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Liking the WhatsApp audio bits they are doing with listeners on the show, the unenthusiastic guy today with the "skiddly-bon-bon-ding-dang" was gas! Show is a bit more craic this week, enjoying it!

Loved this yesterday! Made that excruciating traffic bearable listening to him.

Advertisement