Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

flyswatter wrote: »
    Not to be smart or anything but if you go to the doctor for every small issue like a cold or whatever is that not eating into the time that could be used for treating someone who might have a major illness?

I haven't been going for a cold, I've been getting vaccines and check-ups I couldn't afford before. And they don't have any long waiting lists or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I haven't been going for a cold, I've been getting vaccines and check-ups I couldn't afford before. And they don't have any long waiting lists or anything.

Sound enough! Is it Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I live in Newfoundland, see the college doctors and psychologists.

I live in Newfoundland, see the college doctors and psychologists.

Is it full time or an Erasmus kind of thing?

Your Text Here: Don't worry about that emotional maturity stuff, I had that said to me too. It basically means that you've missed out on a lot of life through illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I'm incredibly immature

• Advertisement

jammstarr wrote: »
    I'm incredibly immature

I know my sense of humour is anyway!

I know my sense of humour is anyway!

Nothing wrong with having a good sense of humour :D

But in many other areas I'm painfully immature though

• Registered Users Posts: 11 crunchyogurt

I haven't posted here in a while, but tonight I just need to get a few things off my chest. I had a pretty rough time in collage this past year, everything was building up and getting on top off me, stress, anxiety ect, came close to dropping out on a few occasions. When the semester and exams finished I was delighted and despite how rocky the last semester was, I passed all my exams. So for the first few weeks of the summer I was happy out. Was trying the keep myself busy. made a big push to find a job for the summer so I would be occupied (didn't work out), was out doing stuff with friends. It quickly went down hill. I've been feeling awful the last few weeks. I've been having huge trouble sleeping, getting up in the morning is nearly impossible and I just cant seem to lift myself up. I feel awful when I'm alone and when I'm around other people. I spend a lot of time at home doing absolutely nothing and when I do go out with friends I still feel isolated. I just don't have much to say, never have suggestions of things to do and I just don't add much at all . I can tell that they are getting sick of me and its only a matter of time before I get cut out(cant say I blame them).

I think I need help, the happy patches and few and far between and they never last. I'm just not able to switch off my mind. I had a few counselling sessions in collage but I felt worse after them. The Councillor was telling me to try all these cognitive exercise but I don't really have the focus to make them work, the bad thought keep slipping back in. I think I need to talk to a doctor and look into some meds, I never liked the idea of going on them and I know that they aren't some magical cure but I'm so sick of feeling like this. The problem is that I live at home with no source of income which means I'd have to go through my parents. They are very judgmental and I don't think they know about my depression so I not really sure what to do. If I was to tell them I need help I don't know how they would react.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I *hated* the idea of *any* medication - but it works. Not even as a long term thing, but as a short term break from your misery, frustration and feelings of absolute hopelessness. Talk to your doctor. I'm glad I did. It will help, and a lot of people here would agree from experience. You're not the first or last person to feel exactly like you do, but you can learn from the experience of others.

Talk to your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

hey, can i join in here? im 25 but have had depression as long as i can remember (can remember reaching for paracetamol bottle at about 8/9) but its gone totally downhill in the last 2 years-crashed car and got married and had a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

@crunchyogurt - I could have written that exact post a few years ago. I think going to your doctor would be a good idea. Your parents might react a lot better them you think, mine did and I had spent years not dealing with stuff because I thought they would give out and not believe me. Things do get better x

@goat the dote - welcome :) have you ever seen a therapist or doctor about your depression? Does your wife know how you feel? One of the worst things about depression is not thinking you're worth people caring about you, but you are.

Does anyone else get sudden waves of anxiety and disillusionment that come and go easily? I'm finding it hard to manage when they hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I always called it depersonalisation, but yeah. Get very agoraphobic for maybe 20 minutes then fine after I breathe properly for a few.

banquo wrote: »
    I always called it depersonalisation, but yeah. Get very agoraphobic for maybe 20 minutes then fine after I breathe properly for a few.

I must try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Seeing a nutritionist soon about this eating disorder. Don't know what to expect, so I'm kind of scared. Has anyone else been? What's it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Seeing a nutritionist soon about this eating disorder. Don't know what to expect, so I'm kind of scared. Has anyone else been? What's it like?

Well done on taking that step degausserxo:)
    I've been in the past and found the thoughts much scarier than the actual appointment. I found it helped me in terms of getting a handle on what a healthy, balanced diet consists of, as opposed to my skewed sense of what I should/shouldn't be eating.
    It was a challenge, but definitely helpful. Good luck with the appointment. X

p.s. Basically, she went through what my diet consisted of, what kind of foods I liked/disliked, etc. After discussing dietary concerns, fears around changing my diet, etc, we came up with a meal plan, which I had to commit to stick to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

I haven't posted here in a while, but tonight I just need to get a few things off my chest. I had a pretty rough time in collage this past year, everything was building up and getting on top off me, stress, anxiety ect, came close to dropping out on a few occasions. When the semester and exams finished I was delighted and despite how rocky the last semester was, I passed all my exams. So for the first few weeks of the summer I was happy out. Was trying the keep myself busy. made a big push to find a job for the summer so I would be occupied (didn't work out), was out doing stuff with friends. It quickly went down hill. I've been feeling awful the last few weeks. I've been having huge trouble sleeping, getting up in the morning is nearly impossible and I just cant seem to lift myself up. I feel awful when I'm alone and when I'm around other people. I spend a lot of time at home doing absolutely nothing and when I do go out with friends I still feel isolated. I just don't have much to say, never have suggestions of things to do and I just don't add much at all . I can tell that they are getting sick of me and its only a matter of time before I get cut out(cant say I blame them).

I think I need help, the happy patches and few and far between and they never last. I'm just not able to switch off my mind. I had a few counselling sessions in collage but I felt worse after them. The Councillor was telling me to try all these cognitive exercise but I don't really have the focus to make them work, the bad thought keep slipping back in. I think I need to talk to a doctor and look into some meds, I never liked the idea of going on them and I know that they aren't some magical cure but I'm so sick of feeling like this. The problem is that I live at home with no source of income which means I'd have to go through my parents. They are very judgmental and I don't think they know about my depression so I not really sure what to do. If I was to tell them I need help I don't know how they would react.

Thanks

First of all, congratulations on finishing the semester! don't cut yourself short, you fought your way through it and that counts for something. we all have our reasons for putting ourselves down and it can take a long time before we realise that we're doing it at all, take some time to look at your life and see what you could do differently then go and make some changes, one small step at a time, eventually things will start to roll again. it sounds like you have lots of spare time on your hands atm, try to make good use of it, do the things you love, go for a walk, exercise, cook a nice meal, watch a movie, whatever it is you enjoy, at the end of the day it's your life and only you know how to do that.. things will work out though it's hard to believe that now. if you really don't feel like you can tell your folks, then at least find a friend or someone you can share your thoughts and feelings with, we all need a bit of support and there's no shame in that. there are also cheap and even free counselling services available in some areas if you cant afford therapy.

though my own depression wasn't a barrel of laughs or anything, i like to think i wouldn't be the person i am today if it wasn't because of it. i learned about myself and grew as a person.. so in certain respects i think its perfectly natural to feel depressed sometimes.. its what drives me to find what i really need.

hope you feel better today :)

oh! and read books.. lots of them.. food for the soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

hey, can i join in here? im 25 but have had depression as long as i can remember (can remember reaching for paracetamol bottle at about 8/9) but its gone totally downhill in the last 2 years-crashed car and got married and had a baby.

Welcome along. You know two of those things are pretty cool, life changing and daunting but great achievements none the less. I'm not saying they are easy but definitely worthwhile. I've done both and pretty much gone full circle (separated and see my daughter once a week) but at the time for the most part they were great. The car crash, sorry to hear about that, you came out alive though (and hopefully not too badly injured). Anyways, any time you feel the need to rant, let off steam, cry or just generally share, there's a great crowd here, I would say though remember it is a public forum so anyone can see what you say, for example I have colleagues and friends who know my user name.

Intro's over I'm glad to say my confidence seems to be getting a bit better, I've a feeling I know why too and if I'm right I'm pretty impressed. Another very quiet weekend though:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Hi all, well had my appointment at the Dean Clinic in Sandyford. First met with counsellor to give him an upshot as to why I was there, then a meeting with consultant and counsellor. It went really well, I had to ask could other half sit in on session, it was emphasised that , while he was welcome, the focus was on me. I felt really heard and both consultant and counsellor were great. It was decided that I will go into St. Pats as an inpatient for four weeks to do the "dual Diagnosis" clinic. I'm both nervous and relieved, I really connected with the counsellor and am hoping he will be part of the team looking after me, then again, my average visits to counsellors is five. I will let them get so far with me, and then I stop going.
    Anyway, this was just an update on my progress, if anyone has been through similar, please tell me your experiences, as I'm really s*****g it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Totalelf wrote: »
    Hi all, well had my appointment at the Dean Clinic in Sandyford. First met with counsellor to give him an upshot as to why I was there, then a meeting with consultant and counsellor. It went really well, I had to ask could other half sit in on session, it was emphasised that , while he was welcome, the focus was on me. I felt really heard and both consultant and counsellor were great. It was decided that I will go into St. Pats as an inpatient for four weeks to do the "dual Diagnosis" clinic. I'm both nervous and relieved, I really connected with the counsellor and am hoping he will be part of the team looking after me, then again, my average visits to counsellors is five. I will let them get so far with me, and then I stop going.
    Anyway, this was just an update on my progress, if anyone has been through similar, please tell me your experiences, as I'm really s*****g it.

I didn't go into the Dual Diagnosis programme there but I did have a stay in St. Pats and honestly it was fine. It's a hospital, so it can be pretty boring but the staff are very nice and facilities are decent.

• Advertisement

Thanks Nesf, did you have indivual rooms or is it dorm style. So nervous about going in, but glad to be getting help. I feel sick at the thought but know I have to do it. It's the explaining to family that gets me, I wish I could just go in and not have to say a word, but unfortunately my absence will be noted.

I can give my thoughts on the bed setup, hope you don't mind nesf.

They have individual rooms with I think 3 sections of 4 beds which are kind of open style.

They usually put you in the public beds first then you get a room.

I can give my thoughts on the bed setup, hope you don't mind nesf.

They have individual rooms with I think 3 sections of 4 beds which are kind of open style.

They usually put you in the public beds first then you get a room.
    Thanks for that,, feeling so low.

There was never any mention to me about a stay in hospital. I don't know if that's good, bad or whatever

jammstarr wrote: »
    There was never any mention to me about a stay in hospital. I don't know if that's good, bad or whatever
    Jammstar, did you have a meeting at a dean clinic or what?

Totalelf wrote: »
    Jammstar, did you have a meeting at a dean clinic or what?

I didn't no

Have you ever attended the Dean Clinics before jammstar?

I think there is one in Cork now.

Have you ever attended the Dean Clinics before jammstar?

I think there is one in Cork now.

I haven't no. I've only to a clinic locally and for nutrient therapy. I was just thinking (posting?) out loud - even though my own problem seems really bad it might not be as severe as other's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Have been taking Zimovane of late and it's a bloody nuisance as I wake up around 5.30 a.m. daily(It's getting earlier - 4 a.m. ffs) I feel alert and ready to get up, but then by around 8 or 9, I feel exhausted and find it very hard to function without at least a couple more hours of sleep. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

girlonfire wrote: »
    Have been taking Zimovane of late and it's a bloody nuisance as I wake up around 5.30 a.m. daily(It's getting earlier - 4 a.m. ffs) I feel alert and ready to get up, but then by around 8 or 9, I feel exhausted and find it very hard to function without at least a couple more hours of sleep. :mad:

I used to sleep a bit later, but found it a nightmare to properly wake up, no hassle getting up and out of bed but felt groggy for a few hours. Have you been on it long?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement