Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Low - High - Unpleasant High - High - Unpleasant High.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Meh, long crap day tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

nesf wrote: »
    Low - High - Unpleasant High - High - Unpleasant High.
    You ever wish it would just stay the one way? It's nearly worse when you're not sure what to expect.

Doing ok today, good mood this evening although very tired after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gillo wrote: »
    You ever wish it would just stay the one way? It's nearly worse when you're not sure what to expect.

Doing ok today, good mood this evening although very tired after the weekend.

Yes, I'd happily trade my mixed episode for one of my bad depressions*. I'd pay good money for it. An unpleasant high** is possibly one of the most deeply nasty things I've experienced. I'm just extremely thankful that I'm medicated, last time I went through something like this I wasn't medicated to take the edge off things and I became very suspicious and paranoid. Even on benzos, sleepers, mood stabilisers and an antipsychotic I'm really having an unpleasant time of it every few hours at the moment.

*Your mileage may vary in this. But getting a few hours of bliss, to be immediately followed by a few hours of torture is worse than the steady grinding low mood that I get in depressions for me.

**I include agitated depressions as unpleasant highs here. They're really nasty as anyone who has been through one can attest.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Hi All,

Haven't posted on here for yonks. Feeling crap at the moment, it's lasting a good few weeks now, and seems to be getting worse by the day. Heart racing, chest heaving, dry mouth, sweating really badly, trying to concentrate in work, but not doing a good job. Hence why I'm on here!
    Have first assessment with The Dean Clinic in Sandyford on Fri, so hoping they can help me. Anyone have any experience or what should I expect?
    On Seroxat 45mg & Zispin 15mg, and put on a good stone in weight since xmas.
    So down at the moment.
    Just wanted to rant, thanks for reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm thankful every day that I don't get anxiety as bad as some of the people I met when it started and I wanted to learn more about it. Feeling much better recently, down to about one short episode a week (used to be a few times a day), and even then I can have it under control super quick just through breathing exercises.

Sleep - now that's a different story altogether.

Totalelf wrote: »
    Hi All,

Haven't posted on here for yonks. Feeling crap at the moment, it's lasting a good few weeks now, and seems to be getting worse by the day. Heart racing, chest heaving, dry mouth, sweating really badly, trying to concentrate in work, but not doing a good job. Hence why I'm on here!
    Have first assessment with The Dean Clinic in Sandyford on Fri, so hoping they can help me. Anyone have any experience or what should I expect?
    On Seroxat 45mg & Zispin 15mg, and put on a good stone in weight since xmas.
    So down at the moment.
    Just wanted to rant, thanks for reading.

No experience of the Dean Clinic but definitely come back and tell us how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

ashblag wrote: »
    what i wouldnt give for some sedation now. my mind is racing.

i've been self sedating with wine the past few nights. I know I shouldn't but it blocks everything for a while.
    Im sorry im a failure, I'm going around and feel so confused and agitated.
    Im walking into a different room in the house and dont know why I went in there. Im smoking fags non stop.
    I dont understand because I can be fine for an hour or so then mood just changes.
    Any other time anti-depressants have just been upped and has worked. I feel no reliefe this time

what i wouldnt give for some sedation now. my mind is racing.

i've been self sedating with wine the past few nights. I know I shouldn't but it blocks everything for a while.
    Im sorry im a failure, I'm going around and feel so confused and agitated.
    Im walking into a different room in the house and dont know why I went in there. Im smoking fags non stop.
    I dont understand because I can be fine for an hour or so then mood just changes.
    Any other time anti-depressants have just been upped and has worked. I feel no reliefe this time

Booze brings temporary relief from anxiety, but only makes it much worse the next day, so you drink again. It can be a never ending cycle, but it's easier said than done not to drink when the anxiety is overwhelming.

Maybe ask your doctor for something to relax you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I'm pretty sure I have some form of social anxiety disorder, though I haven't been diagnosed.

I basically have zero social life, no friends and basically avoid people when placed in a social situation. I'm 21 now and I haven't made any friends in college and even though I'm in a course with a small class size, I still don't know some people's names. I tried doing the whole societies thing, but it doesn't suit me. I failed this year at college too and have to repeat the year which means I'll be 23 rather than 22 when I graduate. If I find difficulty with a part of the course I won't ask because I don't like to be put on the spot. When I put myself in situations like that, I actually loose breath and my mind goes numb.

Sometimes during extreme bouts of anxiety I get scared walking down the street and imagine everyone is starring at me. I haven't left my house in a month now since I finished college for the summer.

Do you think I should get counselling or are there others her who go through a similar thing but are making there way through it one there own?

I think a lot of it has to do with my weight as I've been overweight since I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Pedant wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I have some form of social anxiety disorder, though I haven't been diagnosed.

I basically have zero social life, no friends and basically avoid people when placed in a social situation. I'm 21 now and I haven't made any friends in college and even though I'm in a course with a small class size, I still don't know some people's names. I tried doing the whole societies thing, but it doesn't suit me. I failed this year at college too and have to repeat the year which means I'll be 23 rather than 22 when I graduate. If I find difficulty with a part of the course I won't ask because I don't like to be put on the spot. When I put myself in situations like that, I actually loose breath and my mind goes numb.

Sometimes during extreme bouts of anxiety I get scared walking down the street and imagine everyone is starring at me. I haven't left my house in a month now since I finished college for the summer.

Do you think I should get counselling or are there others her who go through a similar thing but are making there way through it one there own?

I think a lot of it has to do with my weight as I've been overweight since I can remember.

Hey,

I can relate so much to what you've posted. I was pretty bad when I was 21 and I ended up dropping out of college for the second time over it, ended up doing nothing for the next 6 years. I'd hate to think of someone else getting stuck like that.

I'd say the best thing to do is get in touch with your gp or to see if there's a doctor in your college.

On here is good but also you could try the likes of Aware or Grow too for some in person talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Pedant wrote: »

Sorry to hear your feeling like that Pedant. It's a crap feeling to feel everyone is looking at you on the street, know how you feel. As previous poster said, perhaps get yourself to your GP. I don't have any answers for you, wish I had, cos your so young.
    Take care & God Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Started to feel a panic attack coming on while I was out earlier, but recognized the signs and took myself out of the situation. Feeling a little teary now, but I think I was like that all day as I have been worried about something.

But pretty calm at least :)

Started to feel a panic attack coming on while I was out earlier, but recognized the signs and took myself out of the situation. Feeling a little teary now, but I think I was like that all day as I have been worried about something.

But pretty calm at least :)

Well done! *high fives*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Had a total meltdown early this morning, just home from the doc's now.

I was in floods of tears and rambling so my mum rang the doctor, she saw me straight away and gave me some valium and letter for my pysch saying I need a new anti-depressant.

Si, I have to hang on until Monday to see the shrink where hopefully
    I'll get a new anti-d.

I have been on Lustral for 3 years now and it's just stopped working.

Thank god my Zyprexa and Seroquel are still working!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

hi all hope everyone is keeping ok well just out from the physch hospital and doing good since they changed the medication i was on dont feel the anxiety as much now although i know its the tablets masking it i dont care i would take anything to keep it at bay rather that be in a position i was in last week when admitted to the hospital, i was crippled with panick attacks and anxiety, i could not do simple tasks that a woman does on a daily basis and was having up to 4 panick attacks a day, to the point where it was debilitating me,

Got home from hospital and all the places i had a panick attack in i have gone back to try and conquer it and have so far achieved what i set out to do although the shopping center is still haunting me tried this one and pure dread set in and anxiety. So going to steer clear of it for a while.

Well thats my update and i hope some of you are feeling a bit better ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

went back to doctor been given a drug called Lyrica to take along with anti-d's. If this dont work in the next week will have to possabily change meds.

went back to doctor been given a drug called Lyrica to take along with anti-d's. If this dont work in the next week will have to possabily change meds.

One of my meds is Lyrica. No bad side effects to report.

pejay wrote: »
    hi all hope everyone is keeping ok well just out from the physch hospital and doing good since they changed the medication i was on dont feel the anxiety as much now although i know its the tablets masking it i dont care i would take anything to keep it at bay rather that be in a position i was in last week when admitted to the hospital, i was crippled with panick attacks and anxiety, i could not do simple tasks that a woman does on a daily basis and was having up to 4 panick attacks a day, to the point where it was debilitating me,

Got home from hospital and all the places i had a panick attack in i have gone back to try and conquer it and have so far achieved what i set out to do although the shopping center is still haunting me tried this one and pure dread set in and anxiety. So going to steer clear of it for a while.

Well thats my update and i hope some of you are feeling a bit better ;)

That's great news! Though what is it about shopping centres for everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

According to my therapist, I've the emotional capability and maturity of a 13 year old (I'm 22). It's funny, 'cause that's about when my problems started/personality changed (it's gone back a bit to the way it was when I was young though now, which is good). It would seem I've a lot of growing up to do.

*hugs* Temaz - at least when one of those breakdowns occur, you know things need to change. Hopefully the psych app will start you on a good way. Pejay - I'm happy you're feeling a bit better now! and I hope you're not as bored today banquo :p

Hope everyone else is having a good day! You're all awesome x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Really glad to hear that Peejay, only the shopping centre left to conquer, that's brilliant. Why not try going when it's not going to be busy, a Monday or Tuesday morning maybe? Get the shopping down and reward yourself in a coffee shop afterwards? Something to look forward to at the end.

Doing ok myself, although I've noticed my mood dropping a bit. I'd to write a short bio about myself today which was really hard as I couldn't think of anything good to put in it so in the end decided to go with a funny rip the pi$$ one, I showed it to my dad when I was finished as I was out in my folks and he was really impressed so well done me:)

I'm thinking of trying to reduce my meds but no appointment with my psych for a month and would prefer to do it now. Suppose I'll have to take the advice I'd give to someone else, wait and discuss it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

i am on lyrica and find it great what dose are you on

According to my therapist, I've the emotional capability and maturity of a 13 year old (I'm 22)

Still beating me. Spending the evening playing video games -_- SO BORED.

banquo wrote: »

Likewise :o

jammstarr wrote: »

:D on the plus side my apartment has never been cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

jammstarr wrote: »

Me three!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

According to my therapist, I've the emotional capability and maturity of a 13 year old (I'm 22). It's funny, 'cause that's about when my problems started/personality changed (it's gone back a bit to the way it was when I was young though now, which is good). It would seem I've a lot of growing up to do.

Do you mind me asking how they told you that? Was it just from talking to you or did you have to fill out some questionnaire/look at ink blot tests/that type of thing?

I'd be interested in knowing what level I'm at. I was always really naive and sheltered compared to others my age. Ironically, being so sheltered and behaving like the perfect child all the time really stunted my maturity, I reckon. The whole angsty-teenage hormones didn't start flooding until I'd already started college! A lot of my problems can probably be traced to that, although it's something that's never come up in appointments which tend to be little more than "Any hallucinations? Any suicide attempts? Grand, see you in six months"

Speaking of those appointments, I have one some time in July but since my medical card expired in February, and the incompetent staff at the HSE have not only sent me no update since but completely ignored the e-mail I sent them through the "contact us" part of the site (I'll have to resort to angry phone call soon) I don't know if I'll be expected to pay for it. And if I have to pay then I really can't afford it. I can't even see my GP anymore 'cause it's €50 a pop that I just can't afford at the moment, not to mention the cost of any medicines on top of that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm in college in Canada and pay less than $200 a semester for my insurance. Which covers my doctors visits, my vaccines and the near $100 I spend a month on meds, its so great!

I am living at the doctor while its free, getting every little thing checked out. I still am kind of afraid to get some things checked out though. I have a feeling my esophagus is damaged from my own terrible habits, not sure I'm ready to face that check up yet. Even though its a worry to me, I kinda feel happier not knowing? Stupid I know, just not yet ready!

But there is one problem I've had about a year I'm getting checked next week. Baby steps, but facing reality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I'm in college in Canada and pay less than $200 a semester for my insurance. Which covers my doctors visits, my vaccines and the near $100 I spend a month on meds, its so great!

I am living at the doctor while its free, getting every little thing checked out. I still am kind of afraid to get some things checked out though. I have a feeling my esophagus is damaged from my own terrible habits, not sure I'm ready to face that check up yet. Even though its a worry to me, I kinda feel happier not knowing? Stupid I know, just not yet ready!

But there is one problem I've had about a year I'm getting checked next week. Baby steps, but facing reality!
    Not to be smart or anything but if you go to the doctor for every small issue like a cold or whatever is that not eating into the time that could be used for treating someone who might have a major illness?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Do you mind me asking how they told you that? Was it just from talking to you or did you have to fill out some questionnaire/look at ink blot tests/that type of thing?

I'd be interested in knowing what level I'm at. I was always really naive and sheltered compared to others my age. Ironically, being so sheltered and behaving like the perfect child all the time really stunted my maturity, I reckon. The whole angsty-teenage hormones didn't start flooding until I'd already started college! A lot of my problems can probably be traced to that, although it's something that's never come up in appointments which tend to be little more than "Any hallucinations? Any suicide attempts? Grand, see you in six months"

Speaking of those appointments, I have one some time in July but since my medical card expired in February, and the incompetent staff at the HSE have not only sent me no update since but completely ignored the e-mail I sent them through the "contact us" part of the site (I'll have to resort to angry phone call soon) I don't know if I'll be expected to pay for it. And if I have to pay then I really can't afford it. I can't even see my GP anymore 'cause it's €50 a pop that I just can't afford at the moment, not to mention the cost of any medicines on top of that. :(

If the app is with a HSE psychiatrist, you won't have to pay for it regardless of having a medical card or not.

Re: the emotional maturity thing, it was just from talking to me. I've been seeing my therapist pretty much every week since last October, so I suppose she has got that impression from me. The psychiatrist had said it to me before as well. From looking on the internet, there seems to be some sort of test you can do to see, so maybe ask the doctor about that?

I'm feeling quite down today. Sent a message on FB to someone who I used to be really close with but who has pretty much cut all contact with me since last summer... I was not the easiest person to live with when I was very sick, and it really strained our friendship. So I sent a message today apologising for everything I did and to see if we could maybe start being friends again. She's such an amazing person and I really miss her, but I'm worried about what she's going to say back (or if she'll even respond). She's a new life over in France now, and I think she'll probably say she doesn't want to get back in contact :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement