Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 paddylanger

Karsini wrote: »
    I just feel zapped today. Don't feel like doing anything or talking to anyone.

snap. me too.

although we might feel we should be doing the opposite , we maybe should 'allow' ourselves to not do anything or indeed talk to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anxiety kicking in today, having trouble shaking it. I'm seeing a psychologist and getting CBT but it doesn't seem to be helping today.

I previous GP prescribed me Xanax but am I right to think you can't take that stuff and drive? If so, is there something I could ask him for that would have the same effect (bringing down the anxiety) but allowing me to drive and everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have been feeling a bit tense the past few days.

Feels like one thing seems to be going wrong after another.

Going to try and get some sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

pejay wrote: »
    Yes waiting on CBT but waiting list is so long apparently this will help me in my way of thinking i hope is does.

I just hate the panick attacks as even though you have had them before you still forget what they feel like and think your dying.

My phobia is health anxiety and dying and i live in a constant state of anxiety all day everyday to the point where it is crippling me and effecting my daily routine as a woman i am not able to do the basics like even go shopping as everything worries me that i will drop down dead in front of people, i only feel safe when i am at home on the couch with the duvet around me and nobody interferes with me or calls upon me out of the blue can you recognise this. Thanks for your advice ;)

hey pejay, do you force yourself to take on tasks during the day? Do u ever travel? Whats the biggest fear you have faced. Did u need medication and does it work??

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

G-Money wrote: »
    Anxiety kicking in today, having trouble shaking it. I'm seeing a psychologist and getting CBT but it doesn't seem to be helping today.

I previous GP prescribed me Xanax but am I right to think you can't take that stuff and drive? If so, is there something I could ask him for that would have the same effect (bringing down the anxiety) but allowing me to drive and everything?

yeah not sure but u should ask gp, surly they can help. But i would'nt say u can drive with that. Do u get anxiety out of the blue? i know i get it in certain places which i try to avoid like been stuck somewhere even if its a safe place.. traffic, long bus or car journeys or planes. Unfortunately i avoid all these places unles for short distances. I am thinking i should stop avoiding as it stops me living life to the full!!

How deas the anxiety feel, is it full on? do u feel the need to run or do something to avoid it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Anything up to and including .5 Xanax is fine to drive on. Wouldn't chance any dose higher than that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

had appt with company doc today lets just say his bedside manner left a lot to be desired. I found to be very intimadating asking questions I felt very uncomfortable answering. I didnt cry though I just gave yes or no answers I didnt feel I had the energy or the trust to tell him everything. He wants to get be back to work monday. Im in anxiety overdrive.
    Myself and my GP arent even talking about going back to work yet.
    I Feel so **** and so under pressure I really didnt need this as I was starting to slightly recover and see some sort of a light at the end of the tunnel but this has set me back ten fold

Stressed out to the max since yesterday. I'm being made redundant at work and only found out last week and it is totally out of the blue, no warning. I've been a bit stressed since I found out but relatively ok but yesterday I think it might have caught up with me and it all got too much. I was feeling so stressed and tense I couldn't even think straight.

I'm going to see a doctor this morning as I desperately need to be prescribed something temporarily at least as I feel I can't even function or think straight. I don't know if Xanax will work as this feels more like tension and stress. I'm a bit afraid he's going to just send me on my way with nothing. I'm concerned that even if I had a job interview now, I've no chance of getting it as I can't even focus an in interview. I saw the psychologist yesterday and talking about all this just made me worse and I was at the point I could barely even think straight.

It was peaks and troughs yesterday evening and I ended up having a few drinks which kind of calmed me down but that's really a path I don't want to go down.

:(

If the drink worked, then Xanax will work the same, but better. They do the same thing to the brain - which is also why so many anxiety sufferers wind up as borderline alcoholics unfortunately.

Back from the doctor. In the end I saw a different one and she was really nice. She's gave me a prescription for Zyprexa which she feels will help and it's not addictive like Xanax so it sounds like it might do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

G-Money wrote: »
    Back from the doctor. In the end I saw a different one and she was really nice. She's gave me a prescription for Zyprexa which she feels will help and it's not addictive like Xanax so it sounds like it might do the trick.

Hope it works out well for ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Some days everything goes fine. You do what you're supposed to do, accomplish something (even something really trivial) that you'd put off, get a bit of good news, make plans for the future.....

.....and you still end up thinking to yourself "oh what's the fúcking point?".

Been off Efexor well over two months now. Going back on it would feel like an admission of defeat, and though I don't get as down as I used to I still think dangerously. Recently it's like I don't have to be upset or angry to feel shít and fantasise about doing something stupid.

Missed my last psych appointment. Forgot the date and rang to find out, only to be told it was yesterday. Won't have another one until August. Can't see my GP until I sort out my medical card. Going back on meds would be a backward step. In the meantime all I can do is twiddle my thumbs and wait for the next few weeks to be over. "Now or never" time is approaching. And if it's never, then........ *scene missing*

If moving away in September doesn't fix me, and 2013 doesn't go according to plan, I honestly don't think I'll ever be fixed. Am so close, yet the closer I get the more there is to lose when things go badly.

I've no idea how coherent or cryptic this is. Typing without thinking too much is the easiest way to deal with stuff. Overthinking leads to too much sadness and self-hatred. That's not gonna help me. Apologies if this is just waffle but overthinking is too dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Some days everything goes fine. You do what you're supposed to do, accomplish something (even something really trivial) that you'd put off, get a bit of good news, make plans for the future.....

.....and you still end up thinking to yourself "oh what's the fúcking point?".

Been off Efexor well over two months now. Going back on it would feel like an admission of defeat, and though I don't get as down as I used to I still think dangerously. Recently it's like I don't have to be upset or angry to feel shít and fantasise about doing something stupid.

Missed my last psych appointment. Forgot the date and rang to find out, only to be told it was yesterday. Won't have another one until August. Can't see my GP until I sort out my medical card. Going back on meds would be a backward step. In the meantime all I can do is twiddle my thumbs and wait for the next few weeks to be over. "Now or never" time is approaching. And if it's never, then........ *scene missing*

If moving away in September doesn't fix me, and 2013 doesn't go according to plan, I honestly don't think I'll ever be fixed. Am so close, yet the closer I get the more there is to lose when things go badly.

I've no idea how coherent or cryptic this is. Typing without thinking too much is the easiest way to deal with stuff. Overthinking leads to too much sadness and self-hatred. That's not gonna help me. Apologies if this is just waffle but overthinking is too dangerous.

Taking medication is definitely not a backward step imo, you actually wouldn't believe the amount of people out there who take it on a daily basis as they carry on with their daily business.

Chances are you, me or anyone else reading this walked past a few people today who are on medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Would have to agree with Flyswatter , Captain, there's no shame or defeat in going back on meds. I've been on them on and off for 15 years, have to say I'm more stable on them than off.
    Bit down the last few weeks, today a good day until I got into bed, and then Wham! A big blast of anxiety hit me. I can feel it pressing down on my chest. I hate been like this, really fcuks me up.....no sleep tonight.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I agree with flyswatter & totalelf - being on medication isn't an admission that things are going backwards. It can just mean that you need a little extra help with keeping your mood stable at the time etc. One thing that I think is important Capt Graphite is to try not to place a deadline on when you should feel better/be fixed by. Sometimes things can take a lot longer than expected, but once you're on the right path it's okay. Like I remember thinking when I started taking meds/going to counselling that I would be better in six months. Now it's two and a half years later and I'm still on the tablets (and will be for the forseeable future) and the same with therapy. It takes an entire life for us to make us this way, so I suppose our brain doesn't just switch to normal settings quickly either, as handy as that would be.

I have such a messed up sleep pattern at the minute. Can't sleep at night 'cause my mind is racing, and then I end up staying in bed all day >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

feeling dead proud of myself today. Went to the shops with my sister this morning most productive thing i've done in weeks.She said it was the first time she's seen me enjoy myself in a long time.
    Feel guilty though for splurging money on my self cause I feel ive done nothing to deserve it but happy I managed to hide/cope with the anxiety.

Small thing, big step. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

ashblag wrote: »
    feeling dead proud of myself today. Went to the shops with my sister this morning most productive thing i've done in weeks.She said it was the first time she's seen me enjoy myself in a long time.
    Feel guilty though for splurging money on my self cause I feel ive done nothing to deserve it but happy I managed to hide/cope with the anxiety.

Small thing, big step. x

Way to go Ashblag, that's a great first step to make :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

Hello, first time posting in here I think. I've suffered with anxiety for about 12 years now, depression about 4 years.

I'm really struggling lately, my doctor keeps on lowering my valium no matter how I feel so I've decided to go along with it and try to slowly come off it all together, i've been on it for 12 years. I'm down to 3mg a day and to be honest I'm having a nightmare. I've given up the drink as well to see if that helps, 3 weeks off that now. I literally can't get out of bed without feeling crap, lightheaded, dizzy, de realization.

How long will these sensations last for, it's really annoying I can't even do the things I enjoy, like running or going the gym.

Are there any groups out there that deal especially with anxiety attacks??? I need some sort of support

I found that understanding every single biological thing about anxiety and attacks, as well as how to stop them in their tracks, really helped.

There definitely should be some form of anxiety support groups.

Had a total meltdown earlier today. Daughter wanted me to go shopping with her and her friend. As soon as I was in shopping center, I started to get a bit hot and sweaty, went into the booksho to kill time but walked around feeling everyone was looking at me. Decided to sit on bench but noises started magnifying. Went outside for air but totally paranoid people looking at me. Ended up going and sitting in the car. I felt rotten and thought I was going to pass out, had to go to bed when I got home. Sorry, rambling, but couldn't even string a sentence together earlier on. Poor daughter thought she had done something wrong. Hate this and it's getting worse.

• Advertisement

Totalelf wrote: »
    Had a total meltdown earlier today. Daughter wanted me to go shopping with her and her friend. As soon as I was in shopping center, I started to get a bit hot and sweaty, went into the booksho to kill time but walked around feeling everyone was looking at me. Decided to sit on bench but noises started magnifying. Went outside for air but totally paranoid people looking at me. Ended up going and sitting in the car. I felt rotten and thought I was going to pass out, had to go to bed when I got home. Sorry, rambling, but couldn't even string a sentence together earlier on. Poor daughter thought she had done something wrong. Hate this and it's getting worse.

Know the feeling! and nobody understands it or what you're going through. Makes me think more and more that there needs to be an amateur anxiety/depression support group with no waiting list, or a few of them set up in different constituencies.

In my experience, most people pretend to understand but blow it off in their heads. I think that a long chat with someone who not just understands, but lives with it would help everyone in the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi everyone. Hope no one minds me posting this.

'important messages for mental health'.

You might find something in it that helps you, or you might find helpful to share with someone else.

It includes posts on coping with self-care when depressed, tips on helping to remember to take medication and lots of other useful posts.

Hope it helps smile.gif

http://beautyfrompainblog.com/important-messages/

we dont usually allow links - this one time I'll allow it but one link and one link only ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Things are going very well for me at the moment, but the last day or two I've been feeling really anxious about going back to college...it's two months away, so pretty ridiculous, but the feeling just won't f**k off. I'm trying to keep focused on my goals, how strong I've become between finishing up in May and now, but I hope that stays with me once I get back.
    Hopefully the anxiety will pass. I should really go and sit still and try to get some perspective on the situation:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Is skin picking a sign of extreme anxiety? I've had a habit since I was younger where I used to pick my scalp and forehead constantly. It usually gets worse when I'm stressed out and sometimes leaves scabs on my scalp and forehead. I usually have my fringe brushed down to hide them. I don't think it's a form of self harm because I do it unbeknownst to myself without thinking.

Sorry if I've grossed people out but does anyone else with anxiety do this?

Been doing ok this last few days but definitely feeling a bit fidgety/anxious this morning. Most likely as I didn't sleep well last night. I went to bed about 11.30pm but couldn't stop thinking about stuff and then sat up a while, took the last Xanax from the prescription I got a year ago to see if that would help. It did a bit but it was after 2am before I fell asleep. Woke about 7.30am, then dozed back off and work at 8.50am.

Definitely feeling a little tense now. Most likely due to the disrupted sleep and the fact I've a job interview this afternoon, and another one tomorrow morning for a different job. I don't want to take a Zyprexa as I need to drive to and from work and I just took a couple of panadol for a slight headache. I guess it will be the Rescue Remedy spray for me today.

I had an awful episode last Wednesday though. I got so stressed and tense it actually made me feel like I was going to be sick. I felt ok then once I left the office and was a bit nervous going to the psychologist. Once I got there though and we started talking about the work situation, I started to feel sick again. Palms were a bit sweaty, felt like it was a cold sweat coming on, felt sick again. Although once we moved onto talk about something else, all those symptoms went away.

Stupid anxiety and stress.

The doctor who prescribed me the Zyprexa has said she might put me on a low level anti-depressant if I feel things aren't proving. At this stage I kinda wish I could take something just to make me feel relaxed and normal all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Had to get some valium this morning, really anxious atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Pedant wrote: »
    Is skin picking a sign of extreme anxiety? I've had a habit since I was younger where I used to pick my scalp and forehead constantly. It usually gets worse when I'm stressed out and sometimes leaves scabs on my scalp and forehead. I usually have my fringe brushed down to hide them. I don't think it's a form of self harm because I do it unbeknownst to myself without thinking.

Sorry if I've grossed people out but does anyone else with anxiety do this?

So relieved to actually" meet" someone else who does this. I've been a skin picker since childhood. Used to be face and shoulders, now mostly shoulders. Completely scared from it. Don't know how its classified. But yes I take it as a sign of anxiety and trying to relieve stress by causing myself pain.

Anxiety getting worse by the day. Had myself convinced my marriage was over, told my DH we had to separate, was prepared to tell kids. Went for a drive to organise my thoughts, but just cried the whole time. Spoke to DH when I came home, he was so good, decided to stay. I think I'm having a breakdown, no word from St Pats yet as to when I have to go in. Sorry just needed to talk .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

When did you contact Pats Totalelf? Did they say when you might be able to go in?

Keep posting - we're here for you.xxxx

• Advertisement

neemish wrote: »
    When did you contact Pats Totalelf? Did they say when you might be able to go in?

Keep posting - we're here for you.xxxx

Had my assessment last fri week, they said they were trying to get me a bed last week. Have tried phoning them but can't get through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement