Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedy Gonzales or Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Tuesday 5/3/2013

12.5 easy

Home from work

Wednesday 6/3/2013

20km easy

out to end of Dollymount and back. Seemed pleasant and drizzly.."early Irish Spring" I enthused...retuned thoroughly soaked frozen and wretched. Still havent recoverd from HM on saturday and Spring not here yet.

Thursday 6/3/2013

27k inc 24k steady-hard

Ah yes. These runs get you fit. First time after a session this campaign Ive felt the certainty of good being done.

Out to Howth village and back on flat route inc coastal tarmac track.
    1.5 k ease into it and then Steady out to Howth into a stiff wind and steady -hard back with the wind. Last 6 k required concentration. Strenght not there but keep the cadence and the strenght will come next time. One of those runs where i promised myself all the contents of the fridge if i completed it...i had to fulfill my promise to make sure i took any future promises seriously. It is important to keep the pressure on the system and legs for these ones when the going gets tough , so no pitstops allowed after the early stages.

Anyway, the HM has put some strenght endurance in the legs and this helped.
    No idea of times as garmin is lost and watch is dead. Hopefully 3:45 ish coming back but the effort is paramount and i got that right.

Friday 8/3/2013

Lunch 5k easy

Legs very tired from Thursday hard run

PM 10k easy

same as lunch.

Saturday 9/3/2013

22k run easy out and around Bull Island. Ran a Steadier 7k coming back on beach and some grass with a tail wind. Found Garmin so HR was 160 for this section. Some improvement since i last used it (2 months ago). Pace was just below 4 min/km for this section on very tired legs.

My conclusion for the dabbling with HADD training i did is that it is useful for people coming back; people who are prepared to run a huge volume of mileage; and ultra runners.
    I see some ultra running schedules with HM and M pace sessions and i am sceptical. Apart from 50k these paces cant be specifically relevant
    People like me on relatively high mileage, who havent the time to maximise aerobic conditioning are better off with establishing a good base, then increasing aerobic paces, and finally doing hard aerobic runs interspersed with easy days (probably where i am now). Quicker results.

PM: 10k easy

Sunday 10/3/2013

14k easy. Run to and around phoenix park offroad. Legs tired. Bitterly cold. Not pleasant

Monday: Rest

Doing club session tonight: 9 X 1k
    If i ahve time ill do an easy run with technique exercises before. This worked well with last good club session. Focus will be on completing, so it will be progressive. Must start eyeing up national 10k now. The national relay is on the week before. May do this if im available for a little speed.

Monday Rest

Tuesday 12/3/2013

Lunch: 4k inc form exercises.

PM: 14k inc 9 X 1 off 2 mins (ave 3:15-6) approx

Again the exercises at lunch helped get me in kilter for the session.

Did OK. Even enough. The 8th went out to 3:21 because i allowed the only other guy left to talk me into a shorter recover before it.

Im guessing next week will be 10 by 1. Then the interval will shorten. 3:15 32:30 pace. Im in no condition to hold that for 10k but i may be able to wangle it close if i go for it. Im trying for 10k race pace and ill hold it each week as the session changes. I might do a 400 session or two to make the reps feel easier when the recovery is only a minute or less.
    I dont want to get caught between two stools by training for flat and hills. Best to go for the 10k and do the odd long/medium long runs and road specific hill session then transfer after. Otherwise i'm giving myself every excuse to fail in the 10k and getting a bit long in the tooth for that.
    Theres an M40 considerably faster than me in my training group..although he only did 6 1ks. Hes a marked man!

Wednesday: Lunch 4k inc strenght exercises
    PM 15.5 k easy

Thursday: absolutely wrecked after strenght stuff yesterday! no lunchtime run...another easy one tonight id say. I think its the one legged high knees. But they are brutal!

Friday 15/3/2013

6k inc strides

Saturday

13k inc urban trails st annes 2nd place

Sunday and monday rest

So a lot of "rests" sneaking into the schedule recently.
    Daughter had a tummy bug midweek after an infection and my crashed feeling on thursday may have due to illness. Friday woke with a massive headache with sore throat and coughing. Had written off racing the urban trails on stutrday but managed a short run with strides that evening just incase and it didnt feel too bad.

urban trails st annes
    Saturday morning felt bad again but the plan was to jog it if not recovered. On a very sunny morning i bumped into organiser and boards poster Excuseless before registering and he advised to jog the route as i might be near the front. Road runners fine he reckoned, i had a selection of choices in car depending on the route. I was looking for excuses myself to have a proper crack at the race and i duly trotted off to suss out the course. A lot of good running on tarmac or hard forest trail and floor. Some steep banks to climb particlarly in the third kilo of the 4.25 kilo lap (2 lap race and 8.5k). A very good course and actually a tough lap, and easy to underestimate i realised. I could go out easy and hammer a second lap if i felt good and it wouldnt be far off the optimum way to run it, assuming traffic wasnt an issue.
    I spotted a guy from Raheny who has beaten me in every cross country this year the same way. He starts steady and finsihes strong usually finsishing very high up. He didnt pass me till the late stages of the Dublin masters for example and he finished 3rd to my 8th. A hard and wily customer.
    If i raced it id have recent course knowledge on my side and would be more used to the changing terrain.
    Off we went starting on main road in the park at the eastern end. We headed east along the road for 100m till it ended then a right along a narrower path. There was an obvious shortcut across the grass to cut the corner that i took which put me in the lead but the main intention was to put doubt in the Raheny fellas head. Off road know how would be worth a little time in this race. I should have adopted my plan now and set myself into a steady efficient rythm wityh the view of negative splitting the laps...knowing there was a few tricky twists and turns etc coming in the first 400m i decided to continue to unsettle my opponent until the lap got easier betweenn 1-2.5 k.
    He passed me immediately again which encouraged me again: needing to always have the lead can lead you unwittingly over the red line in a race with changing terrain and speeds. The next left he took the turn early..but i took it extra quick slowing a little to avoid colliding into him..to encourage any more unsettling he might be feeling. Next there was a sharp right and steep muddyy drop with sharp left at the botom to a lower tarmac path. He seemed very apprehensive here..worried about his elad ? i mused..... The effort was a little hard TBH but i was enjoying my games and decided thatb his immediate fear of been taken on this tricky bit would need to be realised. I descended in parralel but on the near side to the final turn thus taking the lead. He was breathing heavy now and i couldnt believe my luck...i kept the pace honest enough...it felt hard but sure im hurting him more than me..what harm. He took the lead again which surprised me..now iw as unsure. I should take it back immediately...but theres a long flat bit coming up and i am hurting now. His ear almost pricks up when he senses no response....Hes reading my thoughts the fecker! i know whats coming..hes faster than me and now i will pay. Hes going to string me out like im on rack on this falt bit and kill me. OK, i know the hardest part of this lap is coming, im going to have to concede ground to him, but i might get it back later.
    So 500m later we do almost a U turn 10 metres down. He takes a slightw ander through bushes...a follow and run through a thicker part drawing a little blood. A stupid mistake by both of us. He's pulling away... but he has to race the course and not just me....after a while we turn left.....ill describe the section: if you take the section of st annes that lines the coast road. There is a good path that runs from the carpark near the lake all the way thropugh the arch and to teh read stables...thats most of the last k of the lap...it continues to the start point obvioulsy. But there is a higher path above it..almost a mountain bikers path...starting between lake and arch..but heading opposite way....a few steep ups and downs..all the way over to the wall near the causeway...and back to connect with the good path already described. This first bit took a lot out of me on the training lap..so i knew to concentrate on fast relaxed downs and using the momentum to get up the ups. As we approcahed i was delighted to see i ahd reduced the gap to only 15 m. Crunching loudly through a fallen branch annoys every squirrel nearby but also informs the elader that the pressure is not off. The gap at the end is still 15m but he has redlined it i hope. On the good section running back past the lake and onto that good trail past the emadow. His pace reduces dramaticaly. Hes blown, no doubt! Now pass strong and steady..no letting him attach on...none of that...easier for everyone to finish it here...no more blood needs to be let.... i reach him just passing through the arch. Hes moving slow but accelerates as i pass....i up it strongly and gap him. he dosnt react..goodbye! i hope...
    On the flat now and heading for spectators at end lap 1. hurting but run smoothly past for image sakes. I listen for the gap and am annoyed that its only a few seconds. Take the first right business like..the next left...im hurting but he just needs one more push and hes gone. The gap is widening..i take a stiff uphill brusquely. I glance down.....not far back..and not looking distressed. Im on tramac now. i listen to him land on it and accelerate. So hes allowing me to hammer the hills to widen the gap while hes taking them easy, running the flats hard to economically keep in the race. Hes like the borg! he's assimilated my tricks..and is using them again me! Whenw e get onto the long section where he made hay last time..the gap is 20m but my legs are heavy and tired. At the U turn gap is 10m and im slowing 200 metres later hes passed. Ive died and can not respond. I do a little to try and force him into the same zone as me. He steadily passes. He knows my goose is cooked.. He knows how badly as he has done the cooking.
    Off he goes knowing that staying steady relaxed and efficient is enough to win. No mistakes on the undulations......and hes a winning gap on the good trail back. I slow a little to steady here to save some energy for another day....arriving into the open park with 400 to go, i pass my wife and toddler...keep it going hurry! my wife shouts...cmon! shouts my toddler! i look behind in alarm and theres a guy dressed in a brown vest right behind. I suprise myself by reacting instinctively into an all out very strong sprint that secures second... i honestly looked behind a few times after i died in reassurance that it was safe to take the foot off the gas...must get me one of those brown vests!
    I congratulate the winner. I know now that he didnt die...he would have but he steadied himself preempively because he knew that kept his chances alive. By misjudging and tryingn to kill him off only meant i was going to take longer to finsish the course..and kill myself off as happenned.
    2nd lap a minut slower than the first tells a tail about a toughish course and a shortage of sharpness here!
    Well done to him...but hopefully ill get another crack at Moriarty tis year.

Its a great race for beginners for sure but a nice race if youre a little more experienced. Youll be further up in this than in other races and that can often help get more out of yourself. Training wise of got 30 minutes of hard effort out of it on soft ground...illness aside body was not batterred after it.

Training wise im at make or break stage. Ive missed a few more days because of illness. Im up for the challenge right now...ill report back in a week or so..hopefully it will be make not break.

No running since.

I've had 8 viruses this winter and have been sensible around seven.

I stuck the head in the sand and raced last saturday week during the eight. 10 days of no running and 5 days into a 10 day program of heavy anti-biotics was the not un-predictable result of that error.

Will report back hopefully when i have something to report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

T runner wrote: »
    No running since.

I've had 8 viruses this winter and have been sensible around seven.

I stuck the head in the sand and raced last saturday week during the eight. 10 days of no running and 5 days into a 10 day program of heavy anti-biotics was the not un-predictable result of that error.

Will report back hopefully when i have something to report.

Sorry to hear that T Runner. That is bad luck
    But viruses and anti-biotics - Why?

Abhainn wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that T Runner. That is bad luck
    But viruses and anti-biotics - Why?

Thanks. Should have said "infections" to be accurate. The present one is bacterial, thus the medication.

Sleep has been a little broken, nutrition could have been better and our toddler is inevitably catching whatever's going in her Creche. If i could do it again id work harder on the nutrition and sleep. Hopefully ill get a couple of months good training in before the summer to put things to rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just catching up on that race report. A fantastic tale of cat and mouse. A pity he turned out to be the cat, but a great experience nonetheless! Hope you get over the illness soon. Very frustrating to be otherwise in good shape and have to take a step back due to something beyond your control. Look after yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Thanks. Should have said "infections" to be accurate. The present one is bacterial, thus the medication.

Sleep has been a little broken, nutrition could have been better and our toddler is inevitably catching whatever's going in her Creche. If i could do it again id work harder on the nutrition and sleep. Hopefully ill get a couple of months good training in before the summer to put things to rights.

In the same boat myself,trying to stay positive,atleast we aren't injured

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

and he's back!

• Advertisement

and again!

Peterx wrote: »
    and again!

A 3/4 kilo weight loss + an uphill treadmill session + not taking off like a hot snot + no Des........ meant a significant improvement from last weeks result.

Enduro was getting a bit too close for a comfortable ending though.

Beating him means you are flying it, simple as.

Enduro is in amazing shape, he stayed ahead of Jason at Ballinastoe last week. And everyone else obviously :)

Peterx wrote: »
    Beating him means you are flying it, simple as.

Enduro is in amazing shape, he stayed ahead of Jason at Ballinastoe last week. And everyone else obviously :)

Thanks Peterx.

No Enduro racing tomorrow, he's 24hr-ing at weekend. He will be present at head of burger queue though, a reliable source has informed me.

Strong result out west at weekend yourself, you're in good shape. Are you running tomorrow?

Looking forward to it.The Sugarloaf on a fine summers evening is something that should be done every few years at least!

only seeing this now, well done at the Sugarloaf T-runner!

Back again for another go.

Update:

Have only ran 16k in the last 5 weeks mainly due to another wee addition to the tribe. Back at work and a chance to get some exercise in. I had thought about limiting it to recreational exercise. But....no...i feel im a runner at heart now...and i have a few target itches that still need scratching!
    I need to start soon as my running career's mini crises is getting more existential by the week. So 5 weeks later and 4-5 kgs heavier its time to take action!

Goal: Im going to have a right cut at a sub 2:30 marathon next year, and will schedule races to score a few intermediate PBs also. I have a 2:35:02 pb on a windy Rotterdam. Although i was happy with my time as a line drawn in the sand, my fitness entering the lats 6-7 weeks indicated a low 2:30s was probable. My schedule was made up by myself under the influence from training ideas of Canova. I overcooked it a little and only running 13k at equal to or faster than race day pace in the last 5 weeks before race day was most uncanova-esque.

If i can that period right and improve on my training i believe a sub 2:30 on a fast course is possible.

Next time ill employ a schedule like Daniels or maybe get a personalised one from a coach.

Thats a long way off.

In the meantime....With less time to train the all over quality must improve. I can improve on things that dont cost time..diet etc. Much more focus will be on strenght, as this has been a weakness. A few months working on strenght speed and technique might be a wise use of less time. So im going to get strong......stronger than ive ever been.

What ill have to work with initially is a 12.5k commute each way and a lunch hour, with one run realistically at weekends. Focus now will be on enjoyment as a means to get back into it.
    Plan for this week is to cycle the commutes and do something at lunch (run, swim, strenght).

12.5 k cycle and lunchtime 5k in the bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Congrats on the new addition. You looking to a Spring Marathon or further down the line?

ecoli wrote: »
    Congrats on the new addition. You looking to a Spring Marathon or further down the line?

I reckon spring may be too early. I may do a spring marathon e.g belfast, but only as practice as in id go out hardish and try to hold.

That said if things are going well, rotterdam is a real PB course.

May do indoors on track..well one or two races, but train for it at least. Also i remember thinking after dublin masters cc last year that id try and win it this year. That might be an intermediate target.

Im probably looking at berlin or possibly frankfurt in the autumn realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Would be interesting to see how you get on with indoor track, 3000m I suppose?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see how you get on with indoor track, 3000m I suppose?

That sounds about right. I might touch base with you re a few general and specific training tips and when to race etc if thats OK DNA?

I chatted to Bazman a while ago and he reckoned that switching to track when he did opened a whole range of new possible times for him, marathon included.

• Advertisement

Finally got going again with 44k 2 weeks ago and 70k last week.

Two months of zero-ish running (20k) has had its toll and im 7 kg at least above ideal racing weight now at 69 Kg.
    Fitness and strenght have nosedived also.

A huge plus is that Ive got the enthusiasm back now. And am planning lots of PBs in the summer as well as a sub 2:30 marathon in the Autumn.

Plan is to get my mileage u to 80k pewr week and then start using Hadd HR training to get my mileage up averaging 160-180k per week.

Hadd training incorporates a range of aerobic intensities from Easy to sub tempo. You max out development at the corresponding HR. As fitness improves and the thresholds rise (in HR) you extend the upper HR in the range in order to keep the same intensity range. Only when aerobic development is maxed at these intensities do you extend the range to make the upper paces more intense. Throwing in faster sub-tempos etc.

When no more aerobic development is possible in the cycle, its time to leave Hadd its time to start working on 5k-21k speed without compromising the aerobic development. PB time then hopefully in everything from 5k to 21k.

Next the big one and probably 6-8 weeks specific training to the goal.

MARATHON WORKOUTS (LAST 6-8 WEEKS BEFORE TAPER)
    Paces are based on a MP of 5:40/mile

Aerobic Power Workouts (one per week):

1) 10 x 800 w 1:30 jog @ 110-112% of MP (5:04-5:09/mile)
    2) 6 x 1 mile w 2 min jog @ 108-109% of MP (5:12-5:15/mile)
    3) 4 x 2 mile w 3 min jog @ 105-106% of MP (5:21-5:24/mile)
    4) 3 x 3 mile w 4 min jog @ 103-104% of MP (5:27-5:30/mile)
    5) 2 x 4 mile w 4:30 jog @ 102-103% of MP (5:30-5:33/mile)
    5) 2 x 5 mile w 5 min jog @ 101-102% of MP (5:33-5:37/mile)
    6) 6 mile continuous run @ 104-105% of MP (5:24-5:27/mile)
    7) 8 mile progression run @ 100-106% of MP (5:21-5:40/mile)

Aerobic Endurance Workouts (one per week):

1) 18-22 miles steady run @ 90-95% of MP (5:58-6:18/mile)
    2) 24-26 miles easy run @ 80-85% of MP (6:40-7:05/mile)
    3) 18-22 miles progression run @ 85-100% of MP (5:40-6:40/mile)
    4) 12-15 miles simulation run @ 100% of MP (5:40/mile)
    5) 20 miles - last 5-10 miles @ 100% of MP (5:40/mile)
    6) 20 miles incorporating 10 x 800 @ 103% of MP w 800 jog (5:30/mile)
    7) 6-7 miles @ 85% + 6-7 miles @ 100% of MP (workout done AM and PM)

Looosely based on this although i will quickly swap or switch outright to Daniels if its looking undoable.

Other runs in that phase would be moderate runs within 10% MP, strides and some fast fartlek.

My aerobic build up last time involved fast running from the start to get me to 80 mile/130 k per week, i then started racing and some long hard runs with easy running in between, to bring mileage circa 100mpw.

I should be able to squeeze more out with the current approach.

The positive for me is that i can imagineand picture this progression actuallyhappenning, which is important as the mind will decide if this goal is met or not ultimately.

The mileage will be cranked up slowly. Ive a baby and small child at home so i cant be very tired week in week out at the moment, but Hadd accommodates that nicely. Ill have a little more time in the Spring and beyond and can hopefully turn the screw nicely to be able to put in those 6-8 big weeks in order to get there.

I trialed Hadd before. At best I ran 4:20ks (7mm) @ 140HR and 4:05 (6:20ish) @ 160 HR. My pace now for 160@ is a shocking 5:-5:30 pace. The positive is that the improvements will be very tangible now.

80k planned for this week. Doing some cycling on the commute also.

Core/strenght work, flexibilkity, diet are things i will add to the mix this time to give me every chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Good to see you back at it and the plan makes sense (to a point) and appears, like you said, to be doable.

Just a couple of things that you may wish to consider...

1. Have a look at John Kellogg's base training stuff - it's a great way to get back after injury/lay off and it transitions beautifully into the aerobic capacity phase where you're looking to race 5k to 21k.

The training never over-cooks the LT and there are some great High End Aerobic runs. But what I found best were his aerobic stride sessions - they prepare the way for the 5k-21k workouts without triggering the anaerobic system. Worth a look...

2. The Aerobic Endurance Workouts look great. I know it's a long way off, but I'd strongly suggest you re-think the Aerobic Power workouts: I don't think that they'll do the job. They lack the necessary volume and the last two workouts seem to be in the wrong place. I think you might be better served by replacing the final two sessions with Lactate Shunting Sessions. Something like, 500m@ hmp 500m @ mp for about 10 miles in total and then increasing the next session to 800m reps - sounds tough, and it is, but it's doable if you get the pacing right.

The earlier sessions lack the necessary volume and therefore you're not going to get the desired results of raising anaerobic threshold value and extending it. The sessions you are planning seem more appropriate for 21km rather than the Beast. The result will be that you'll waste the Aerobic Endurance sessions: you will not effectively narrow the gap between HMP and MP and you'll blow up in the final 3 miles or so, maybe earlier.

More reps; more pain:) Forget the wife and kids. If you wanna go under 2:30 you gotta be selfish. Just my humble thoughts. Better go get my session done before the wife and kids get back - she'll kill if the ironing isn't finished:)

Stazza wrote: »
    Good to see you back at it and the plan makes sense (to a point) and appears, like you said, to be doable.

Just a couple of things that you may wish to consider...

1. Have a look at John Kellogg's base training stuff - it's a great way to get back after injury/lay off and it transitions beautifully into the aerobic capacity phase where you're looking to race 5k to 21k.

The training never over-cooks the LT and there are some great High End Aerobic runs. But what I found best were his aerobic stride sessions - they prepare the way for the 5k-21k workouts without triggering the anaerobic system. Worth a look...

2. The Aerobic Endurance Workouts look great. I know it's a long way off, but I'd strongly suggest you re-think the Aerobic Power workouts: I don't think that they'll do the job. They lack the necessary volume and the last two workouts seem to be in the wrong place. I think you might be better served by replacing the final two sessions with Lactate Shunting Sessions. Something like, 500m@ hmp 500m @ mp for about 10 miles in total and then increasing the next session to 800m reps - sounds tough, and it is, but it's doable if you get the pacing right.

The earlier sessions lack the necessary volume and therefore you're not going to get the desired results of raising anaerobic threshold value and extending it. The sessions you are planning seem more appropriate for 21km rather than the Beast. The result will be that you'll waste the Aerobic Endurance sessions: you will not effectively narrow the gap between HMP and MP and you'll blow up in the final 3 miles or so, maybe earlier.

More reps; more pain:) Forget the wife and kids. If you wanna go under 2:30 you gotta be selfish. Just my humble thoughts. Better go get my session done before the wife and kids get back - she'll kill if the ironing isn't finished:)

Thanks Stazza. Interesting points.

My memory from my last marathon was that it was too steady. I progressed well aerobically and managed 3 big sessions on weeks 7,6,5, out but then i managed no more till race day apart from a 10k race and a long easy-steady runs. A part of the trouble may have been that the sessions were aimed at a 2.30 target and that killed me.

I hadnt the sharpness i needed coming into it, and my LT deffo dropped. I felt incredibly strong on race day but also felt like i was plodding and missing that extra couple of % sharpness.

Thats why those aerobic power sessions seem attractive, although i may be overcompensating with the amount. At the right pace they shouldnt involve burning too much Glycogen and should compliment the longer Aerobic endurance workouts. I will have a lot of longer work done within 10% of MP by this stage so id hope the wall would be on the 27th mile, but ill take your point and think about it.

The shunting session is good. I think the recovery needs to be a little slower though. Apart from extending the rep size, a progression of 4 such sessions might stress improving the fast reps for the first 2, and speeding up the recovery reps for the second 2. An average of 2:30 race pace for the last session would be encouraging.

The attraction with Hadd is its simplicity, just run to precribed heart rates and hit the weekly mileage and improvement will come slowly but inevitably. Slowly is important as im adapting to mileage and volume i wont have ran before. Had a quick look at Kellogg, and he convinces to add fast twitch stuff twice a week in base training. Drills leading to hill sprints too.

Ill have a proper read later and try and fit it in its right place during the mileage build up.

Another way i can improve from last time is by having longer singles. A lot of my weekly mileage before was comprised of 10-12k bi-daily runs. With a little tweaking i can bring this out to a 16k-8k day, with more medium long runs.

I may have to use any which way to get the mileage high initially (triples etc) but i can evolve this when more time presents itself.

Running cant be first priority now, but if the sub 2:30 is on i'll be more selfish with the running as the date nears.

Hi T

Just wondering have you ever considered the phase 2 aspect of Hadd? I know alot of people have alot of success with the aerobic development but very few actually follow on from this with the speed work (which IIRC looks pretty damn impressive)

Hi T

Just wondering have you ever considered the phase 2 aspect of Hadd? I know alot of people have alot of success with the aerobic development but very few actually follow on from this with the speed work (which IIRC looks pretty damn impressive)

Thanks Ecoli. Do you have any links for this? Just found a few LR threads.

That's where I saw initial talk about it. This is probably the most comprehensive discussion about it (please note its collective with Antonio Cabral so a good bit of back and forth) that is well worth the read:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2375989

That's where I saw initial talk about it. This is probably the most comprehensive discussion about it (please note its collective with Antonio Cabral so a good bit of back and forth) that is well worth the read:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2375989

Thanks Ecoli, had a quick browse, looks excellent and ill check that out thoroughly early next week.

Had a more in depth read of some of Kelloggs stuff.

A few things to take from it so far.

-Importance of high mileage especially from marathon. He maintains most sub 2:30 marathoners in the 80's were doing 100-130.

- Importance of a light fast gait for all high mileage work. We are what we practice and bi-weekly strides and/or drills concentrating on fast light steps are desirable. A high volume week of economical running will reap gains. (Strides can be done after some effort runs, to encourage muscles to transition efficiently from ST to FT fibres.)

-Importance of LT runs to fitness and how to perform them. Some running intensities illicit far more improvement than others. Running in the range 95-105% LT pace is most beneficial. These should not be strained runs. That effortless pace when a runner is in the zone, that pace is most beneficial. He describes how to get there with a very slow build up (starting at 10 min miles) and holding a bit longer than you want at a pace before incresing it slighly...holding longer..before incresing aagin.... until you are crusing a few steps shy of uncomfortable..
    Mant elite marathoners frequently perform an hour long tempo run @ 95% LT pace.
    The runner can run the last 3-4 mins of these continous runs progressively hard for the transition from ST fo FT described above.

-Importance of running economy and running economy at race pace. Running economy is greatly improved by practicing running economy at race pace. Im extrapolating that this might be beneficial all year around for the marathon. Reps @ MP or slighly faster could be performed during base building to gain specific economy. Some steady runs @ 5% slower for the same reasons.

-Runs in multiples of 30 minutes seem to have most benefit. No science for this but he is adament. Theres something in it though. When i did a host of 10k lenght runs to make my mileage for my last marathon i always felt that the were in betweeny. An extra 15 mins to make the hour felt it would have been worth more than 15 minutes work. So runs will be 30, 60+, 90+, 120+ duration. My commute is 60+ and i can do 30 at lunch so there it is. Feels right.
    From Kellogg: "Thus, 55 min. is better than 35 min., but 65 min. is far better than 55 min.! This step functional relationship is only noticeable over a period of weeks, but it becomes quite pronounced after about 3 months. The "cumulative loading" effect of simply doing more sheer volume over months also plays a role in aerobic development, but it does not affect economy at low intensities as much as does the specific length of time spent on daily runs."
    See atachment below. Its big, i worked through it by searching for "marathon", or "base training", "strides" etc

From this i can see i benefittied from cumulative loading by the sheer volume, but didnt benefit by the specific lenght of each run as most were circa 45 mins.

Starting Hadd: My initial week of Hadd will have all running @ circa HR140, bar 2 effort runs @ circa HR160. The effort runs will be performed using Kelloggs advice about perceived intensity. Slow buildup and find the zone. Strides before one workout and after teh other. Actually 1 of the first weeks hard efforts will be the first HADD test. 2400@ 140,150,160,170,180 HR continous and record speed.

Last number of days:

Sat 2/11 85m HR143
    Sun 3/11 50m HR150 approx
    Mon 4/11 49m HR149
    Tue 5/11 62m HR148
    Wed 6/11 44m HR146 Inc 10 x100m strides
    Thur 7/11 68m HR141

Im gonna enter a marathon early to put a target up early for focus. Its going to be Frankfurt on 26th October 2014 i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

The Updated Training Wisdom of John Kellogg is a tad special - it's worth spending time on.

Frankfurt should be ideal for busting 2:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stazza wrote: »
    The Updated Training Wisdom of John Kellogg is a tad special - it's worth spending time on.
    Just reading through the section called: Mastering Running after 40. Fascinating stuff! I seem to have been following many of the principles anyway, e.g. running very easy on easy days, lots of sub-threshold running, running on soft surfaces, 12 week training cycles, 2-3 days per week hard training, with lots of easy running. Perhaps there's just a lot of common sense in his responses. He just provides reasons why we do this stuff.

Also took a look at the Frankfurt course video. That is one extremely twisty course. You'd definitely want to be good at running the racing line, and ensure you're ahead of the crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Some more info on Phase 2 here

http://can.milesplit.com/discussion/topics/90162

Advertisement